By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for MichaelR

Here is a list of all the postings MichaelR has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Looking for Mr M. E. Robinson
15/05/2019 19:29:01

Brian, I have sent you a PM

Michael Robinson

Thread: Cylinder mounting.
12/05/2019 11:13:50

When building my D&NY I drilled and tapped right through the plates and used studs never had a problem with this method over the years I ran the engine.

Mike.

Thread: Mystery Tool
24/04/2019 18:16:10

It looks like a very old saw setting tool..

Mike

Thread: Waterproof cabinet / box?
13/04/2019 16:06:02

I don't know what size your rotary converter is but this item may do Link it seems to have air vents in door.

Mike

Thread: The Web Model Fitting Co
12/04/2019 20:02:21

steam engine 3.jpgFrom my model boating days I came across a 1966 Web Model Fitting Co catalogue mainly model boat fittings this company is no longer trading but it had some nice Oscillating steam engines listed, has any one on the forum seen any of these engines over the years.steam engines 2.jpg

Thread: Running problems!
18/03/2019 09:25:23

I have a light spring on my Centaur disc valve and it gives even running, my theory is if the spring is to strong the engine suction will struggle to lift the valve and give intermittent fuel supply, if you watch the disc valve spindle which protrudes through the throttle lever arm you should see the spindle moving up and down as the valve opens and closes with a nice even movement.

My fuel needle is only open about half a turn when running, and I have full throttle range, having said that it is all down to good luck on my part as I am no expert on engine management.

Minimag Ignition CM6 Plug

First Run Link before final adjustments.

Mike.

Thread: Beware new engine project!
11/03/2019 09:22:52

So now we know thanks to AJW, that if you build a Centaur you will be getting a known faulty Cylinder Head casting from the casting supplier, a good reason to haggle for a discount on that item, or ask the supplier to rectify the problem before sending out.

I built the Centaur and rectified the fault on the head casting which I thought had been dropped, at the time I didn't know it was a casting fault.

Michael.

Thread: Centaur crank lubrication
09/03/2019 19:04:59

Alan, If you haven't already seen the full article for the mods see Here

09/03/2019 14:37:06
Posted by AJW on 09/03/2019 09:36:10:

Thanks Michael, is that an Edgar mod? Haven't found any reference to any mods at all although have discovered a couple of discrepancies.

Your conrod lubricator I am assuming is small and a closed cup affair?

Alan

Hi Alan, The Centaur mods are from a article in Model Engineer 19th November 1976, Volume 142 No 3549 and titled Experiences With The Centaur By R.R.May.

My conrod oiler has a screwed cap, as photo. Michael.

crank pin oiler.jpg

09/03/2019 09:10:46

There is a modification for the banjo oil feed, I also fitted a oiler to the conrod bearing, not sure why your piston rings are moving.

annotation 2019-03-09 085529.jpg

Thread: Can opener - the holy grail in engineering?
03/03/2019 19:36:09

This one in the picture served me well during my National Service very simple to use but no good for arthritic fingers, it cut the lid from the inside.

compo ration tin opener.jpg

Thread: Piston ring gap
28/02/2019 14:13:24

I gave the rings on my Centaur a gap of 0.002 the engine runs well with this gap. Mike.

Thread: Model gearwheel pump
23/02/2019 13:43:15

pump 3.jpgI made a similar gear pump for circulating cooling water on my Centaur gas engine, it has 1.5 mod x 12 tooth stainless steel gears, driven pulley dia 3/4 " free pulley dia 1/2", The pump body size 1 1/4" wide, 2" high, 1" deep. pump 2.jpg

Thread: Mystery object
15/02/2019 08:43:47

Looks something like these Link

Thread: Potting Adhesives : for Glass Fiber/Fibre Optic Bundles
13/02/2019 11:00:27

MichaelG, I have no knowledge of the subject you are working with but would this item be of use or what you are looking for.Link Mike.

Thread: Bending cast gunmetal
10/02/2019 17:20:07

I had the same problem with my Centaur cylinder head, I straightened the lug cold with no problem.

Mike.

Thread: A gas engine question
05/02/2019 10:00:29

The engine gets hot which heats up the circulating water in the tank, it really could do with a radiator or screen cooler to dissipate the water heat, I have now fitted a gear water pump driven from the side shaft, but it still could do with a cooling system for prolonged running, the water tank is a Bean Tin.

Thread: Another gas engine question, sorry!
05/02/2019 09:42:13

Your idea for lubrication of small end is shown here. For the Centaur.lube.jpg

Edited By MichaelR on 05/02/2019 09:42:53

Thread: A gas engine question
04/02/2019 18:48:58

Alan, I built a Centaur the cylinder head is machined as drawing but I made the conrod to bring the piston flush with the end of the liner, I haven't a clue what the compression ratio is but the engine seems to run OK, well for me it does.

Thread: 2"durham and north yorkshire
20/01/2019 11:35:57
Posted by Paul Kemp on 20/01/2019 10:11:10:

Jason,

Thanks, didn't notice one at the show, trip to specsavers! However OP said he got pressure in the cylinder when he put air direct in through regulator port but when putting air on safety tapping it rushes out exhaust. That implies the valve is sort of doing its job at least? If the lower exhaust drilling blanking plug is missing then pressure in steam space around liner could go direct to exhaust without going anywhere near the valve chest. Either that or a drilling has broken through somewhere it shouldn't?

Paul.

Another thought if air pressure is going into the cylinder steam cavity via the annulus, apart from the possibility of a loose or missing exhaust blanking plug, is the blower take off valve open or faulty as it takes it feed from this steam cavity. Mike.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Allendale May 19
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
emcomachinetools
Sarik
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest