By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for ega

Here is a list of all the postings ega has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What have you recycled today?
10/01/2014 15:06:51

John McNamara:

Thanks for the advice and useful links.

Quite apart from the perils of dismantling, I gather that there can be danger from stray m/w radiation. I understand this is normally contained by the polarised screen in the oven door and wonder why it is nonetheless possible to see inside.

10/01/2014 14:58:28

SLOTDRILLER:

Thanks for your advice. Is the UV exposure something to do with etching the PCB?

On a different point, it did occur to me that the built-in turntable and fan might be useful for small-scale spray painting.

09/01/2014 23:38:57

Michael Cox 1:

Many thanks for the useful advice.

Michael Williams:

KRW is sorely missed - I am still using stuff bought years ago from his "cat".

09/01/2014 17:13:54

Has anyone recycled a micro wave oven? The keypad on my very old one is getting temperamental and in view of its age I am thinking of getting a replacement oven.

I gather there is a device called a magnetron in these things. This oven is very heavy and I am wondering what I might usefully salvage from it. Are there likely to be dangerous residual voltages inside?

Thread: Myford Super 7 Headstock Lubrication
30/12/2013 16:59:00

Lambton

Thank you for elaborating the point I made about holding the wick down; it is, of course, on *replacing* the spindle that this is important..

Did you research the spec of "Three-in One"? It seems from the 3-IN-ONE website that it is indeed a mineral oil but I couldn't see the viscosity stated. Instinctively, I would be wary of using such a general purpose product on my precious lathe.

The mark 1 Super Seven headstock lubrication was different and I wonder if anyone has information as to why it was changed.

30/12/2013 11:28:13

IIRC, when removing the spindle you have to restrain the wick from moving upwards by sticking a bit of wire or similar through from the side.

Possibly an opportunity to replace the belt if you use conventional vee belts (countershaft would have to come out too, of course.

Thread: identifying steels
20/12/2013 16:14:42

Not foolproof of course but Green is the Parker Steel colour code for EN1A. Turning a sample would go some way to confirm this.

Thread: Sweet Little 1/2" Micrometer
06/12/2013 10:17:16

jonathan heppel:

Thanks for the COFES reference; albeit "incomplete" it seems significant that it does *not* include Robblak in the list of makers.

Stewart Hart:

Sounds convincing. If this was before American entered the war was the "foreign" label adopted to maintain the appearance of neutrality? You need more than guns to wage war. I gather that paper and rubber were also vital.

06/12/2013 00:26:54

PS There is a very similar Starrett no 219 mic on eBay - buy it now at £75!

05/12/2013 22:47:00

Stewart Hart

Thanks for the further information. Having only a faint recollection of the Robblak name, it never occurred to me that they might not be the makers but it's certainly not a name I associate with mics. The position of the engraving looks right for the maker so could it have been over-written? That seems unlikely, which perhaps leaves the identity of the maker a bit in doubt. That said, there were at one time a great many tools on the market which were simply labelled "Foreign" but I can't call to mind the background to this practice.

Anything you measure with it will never know the difference!

05/12/2013 17:38:41

Brown & Sharpe, who claim to have produced the first practical micrometer, used to list various 1/2" models and the Robblak example is very like some of their pre-war offerings. Remarkable that the Robblak has retained its accuracy - is the fixed anvil removable as the slotted screw suggests and did you disturb it when overhauling the mic?

Thread: Myford ML4
26/11/2013 15:19:31

Bogstandard2

Thanks for your description of your belting system. I had not heard of the Redthane brand although I am familiar with the concept; on looking further I saw a reference to "Greenthane" also.

On the subject of shifting vee belts from sheave to sheave, this can be done with a suitable lever at the expense of belt life but the practice is frowned on and I don't think it would be possible in motion. Someone mentioned the use of link belting on the Super Seven, a method which I adopted some time ago. At the outset, I was disappointed to find that the bulkier section compared with standard vee belting prevented shifting between the large countershaft pulley sheave and its smaller neighbour and it was some time before I realized that this could be achieved by rotating the pulley backwards!

26/11/2013 14:58:37

Michael Gilligan

Thanks for your continued help. The search box at top right should come with a health warning or pointer to the Google search box as the present arrangement is counter-intuitive to say the least. You would think that one genuine use for the forum search would be to locate postings by particular members; however, a quick check against my own site name + "model engineer website" suggests that Google is more effective, although I have yet to explore the forum expanded search facility.

I found the Naismith website helpful on the tension point - thanks again.

26/11/2013 11:33:54

NJH

I take your point about respect for old machinery. As the ML4 is capable of real work I suppose that it's the balance between its original character and present usability that matters. In this connection, it's interesting to see how Myfords developed their classic lathe; they lost me when they made it impossible to open the change gear cover without a tool.

Foul ups: the conventional vee belt slips, of course. I didn't realize that a flat belt would react by coming off the pulley and find this interesting because I understood that it was the tension in the belt that caused it to ride up to the crown of the pulley.

26/11/2013 11:15:30

Michael Gilligan

Many thanks indeed. I will certainly look at your results.

For my benefit, what search string did you use? I did take your advice and search from the home page although it is hard to see why this should make any difference.

26/11/2013 10:18:07

Michael Gilligan

I found only one very short thread which didn't cover the points which came to mind when I saw your suggestion.

I have no experience of Poly-V apart from those under the bonnet and in the washing machine but did wonder how they stand up to operating in an oily environment. Also, I understand that they should be run considerably tighter than conventional vee belts thus increasing the pull on the spindle.

Thread: How to fit a taper pin?
23/11/2013 14:26:57

It may also be good idea to find some means of identifying the small end for when you want to remove it.

Thread: A 'Starter Kit' for a Stent T&C?
17/11/2013 14:36:33

Bogstandard2:

I would be very interested to know where to buy one of those special oxide sticks. Are they also capable of dressing CBN wheels, I wonder?

Thread: Tailstock and other tooling by Martin Cleeve
17/11/2013 14:29:56

Excellent photos in my opinion. They certainly demonstrate the high standard of finish MC achieved despite fabricating from MS sections rather than using castings. The overall effect is enhanced by the lathe's finish in Myford Green rather than the "correct" gray colour; I made the same decision when re-building my own machine some years ago.

The relevant constructional articles for the tailstock are in MEs for 12 and 26 July 1956.

Given that MC was a proponent of the swing clear toolpost it is perhaps surprising that he seems not to have thought of the type of screwcutting toolholder that swings up at the end of the cut - sorry, I can't immediately recall what these are usually called!

Thread: morse taper sticking
13/10/2013 16:48:00

Michael Gilligan:

Again, thanks. Oddly enough I couldn't see Wink 2 in that list.

Russell Eberhardt:

Thanks for the workaround.

A further thought: the instruction to substitute the unwanted smiley is not executed until the text is posted which is perhaps why some forums incorporate a preview. The preview also gives an opportunity to deploy the blue pencil before going public.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Warco
EngineDIY
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest