By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for ega

Here is a list of all the postings ega has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Tongue in cheek
25/02/2016 23:51:23

duncan webster:

Those tape measures may have been "rules of thumb"!

The Danish for inch is "tomme" and for thumb "tommelfinger".

I recall seeing the advice to use the same rule thoroughout the construction of a job - only applicable in a one-man shop, of course.

Thread: Warco Major Mill/Drill
25/02/2016 23:30:02

Robbo:

Thank you - I'll PM you.

Thread: S7 saddle shims
25/02/2016 23:22:50

Ajohnw:

Yes, I do remember having difficulties with the peelable shims when I overhauled my own saddle some years ago. I'm pretty sure I ended up making my own. I have just located one of the discarded shims and measured it at about 0.0025". I agree that this seems an unduly large increment and it may be that I was measuring two (or more) unseparated laminations.

This construction looks to have been adopted for convenience in manufacture.

25/02/2016 18:16:12

I think the peel-off shims are 0.002" thick.

If you make your own the necessary holes are easily made with a suitable wad punch on hardwood block.

Thread: Tongue in cheek
25/02/2016 16:30:46

KWIL:

I am a Francophile but you could have a point about Michelin tires. When I put the car in for MOT recently, having first checked the tires, I was upset to have the tester point out a deep split running along the base of the tread pattern; difficult to spot unless you knew what you might find and the tire was otherwise good. The necessary replacement was not a Michelin!

Thread: Warco Major Mill/Drill
25/02/2016 15:31:39

Robbo:

The drawing was indeed of interest to me as it looked very similar to my ancient Warco Economy Mill/Drill (which came without a manual). I was not surprised that I could not find the corresponding drawing for my machine on their website and I wonder where you found the one you put in your album?

One useful piece of information from Warco is that their Super Major Mill comes with a "Pedant Control" switch!

Thread: Unsolicited email from SOLIDWORKS
25/02/2016 09:59:01

V8Eng:

Thanks. I didn't know that DraftSight was a DS product but your explanation seems right.

Thread: Another Mystery Tool
24/02/2016 18:14:02

Brian Hutchings:

An interesting design. The provision for restraining the cutter axially seems different from the Clarkson. Perhaps you would test for the effectiveness of this and report back?

Thread: MEW 239
24/02/2016 18:07:58

I believe they are called Civic Amenity Sites after the similarly named legislation. Where I live they can only be used by car drivers, a strange position.

Thread: Unsolicited email from SOLIDWORKS
24/02/2016 18:02:43

Out of the blue I have just received an email from SOLIDWORKS inviting me to view a promotional video. Although I am aware of this no doubt excellent software I have never before today had any contact with DS and wonder whether anyone else has been similarly approached.

Something of a Dassault Mystere!

Thread: CBN grinding wheels
22/02/2016 23:26:02

Rik Shaw:

I'm glad to have put you on to these. There is some information here but I don't know if they can supply currently:

http://www.peterchild.co.uk/grind/aboutcbn.htm

From my limited experience I would say that CBN wheels cut markedly faster, cooler and with less mess than conventional bonded abrasive wheels. They just need to come down in price and be available in a range of styles and sizes to suit the amateur. Incidentally, the wheel I have is steel rather than aluminium.

Thread: graphite bushes/bearings ?
21/02/2016 12:09:08

Anthony Knights:

You could consider Nylatron, graphite impregnated nylon available from eg Direct Plastics.

Thread: My rest with brass knobs on !
21/02/2016 11:26:19

Rik Shaw:

Thanks for the excellent photo.

I am using a similar system on my own much more basic rest which is designed to allow me to use the range of Tormek wet grinder jigs with a CBN wheel for roughing HSS tools. The yellow magnetic holders are by magswitch.

p1030661.jpg

Still at the "proof of concept" stage and the sheet steel base was found abandoned in the street!

20/02/2016 10:59:48

Rik Shaw:

A beautiful-looking job!

Did you consider tapering the shafts of those handles?

How is the base angle secured?

Thread: Lathes : Weak-Points
18/02/2016 18:39:55

"Flimsy little die-cast nuts, with no adjustment for wear".

This criticism also applies to the Super 7 but, in mitigation, they are cheap to manufacture and easy to replace. At the risk of uttering hearsay, other contemporary small lathes had their "nuts" cut direct in the slide.

On a general pooint, there is a clear distinction between weaknesses which can easily be remedied and those which have to be lived with. An obvious example of the former is the tailstock which has to be adjusted with a spanner. In the case of my Willson this was easily remedied with an adjustable handle.

Edited By ega on 18/02/2016 18:41:21

Thread: surface rust on lathe ways
14/02/2016 16:44:57

Thanks to those who responded to my inquiry about Jenolite. I shall be interested to see if it can be sent through the post.

Thread: Bending brass angle
14/02/2016 16:43:21

GHT makes some helpful comments in his article/chapter on Workshop Bending Rolls.

Thread: surface rust on lathe ways
14/02/2016 11:37:11

Neil Wyatt:

Can you still buy Jenolite rust remover? I haven't seen it on sale for many years.

I trust you are fully restored to health.

Thread: tailstock tapping jig
08/02/2016 15:59:29

pgk pgk:

Did you look at the earlier thread on tapping chucks?

If you are going to spend money then the Vertex is recommended - see my photo in that thread.

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread (2016)
08/02/2016 15:14:24

John Pace:

That dovetail cutter is a good advertisement for the Quorn! Was it roughed out on something else? You must have had to remove a good deal of carbide to get the required tooth section.

In the first photo, what is the green moulding (looks like GRP)?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
EngineDIY
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest