By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for ega

Here is a list of all the postings ega has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What Did You Do Today (2016)
08/03/2016 17:00:50

Michael Gilligan:

My eyesight is not rated at 20/20 but zooming in helped me to read the Pultra document!

The quill is superficially similar to the Quorn's arrangement but I take it that the Pultra bearings are not the angular contact variety; the use of a coil wick is interesting - presumably it prevents the bearings being "flooded" with oil.

08/03/2016 15:37:00

Mike:

Just spotted your 28 February post with link to the KMX Karts site. The F8 looks like excellent value.

I love my own recumbent trike but would be the first to admit it does not lend itself to load carrying.

Thread: Fusion 360 - full, free 3D CAD and CAM
07/03/2016 11:54:02

Neil Lickfold:

Thank you - wood has its uses!

Thread: Tubal Cain broke my taps...
06/03/2016 10:59:33

Mike:

I have PMd you.

Thread: Fusion 360 - full, free 3D CAD and CAM
06/03/2016 10:41:16

Neil Lickfold:

Is that prop sycamore?

Thread: New guy, Myford help
05/03/2016 18:00:46

Piero Franchi:

When Tubal Cain wasn't breaking other people's taps he gave us an excellent design for shop-made raising blocks. I could post a photo if you are not committed to the Myford item and fancy saving a bit of money by making your own (you would probably need a working lathe).

Thread: Tubal Cain broke my taps...
05/03/2016 17:49:59

Mike:

In fairness to Zeus, the booklet has become easier to read over the years.

BTW, I bought your book and am looking forward to reading it. May be a subsequent edition will modify the advice that the Zeus booklet has the best set of tables?

I have occasionally wished that someone would market a set of stub drills with, say, three sizes for each thread so that the important question of percentage thread depth is automatically catered for.

Thread: Unwanted HP ink
04/03/2016 17:23:20

Michael Gilligan:

As you will have guessed, I am one of the many who dislike throwing potentially useful things away; today, the pain of doing so is amplified by the sense of guilt in consigning anything to landfill so I shall drop the package off at my local cartridge shop for recycling.

04/03/2016 09:42:32

Just bumping this in case a suitable recipient missed it earlier. I see that the new price for this item is c £25 on amazon so must be worth a try to somebody.

Thread: Help needed with CAD drawings
01/03/2016 17:59:02

Michael Gilligan:

Thanks for the QCAD pattern-making video link which I will pass on to a friend who is an avid quilter.

I didn't look at the previous thread you mentioned which, perhaps, explains your "ecumenical" reference. Was the point that CAD software users constitute a surprisingly broad church? Difficult to be ecumenical today if one has a slow broadband connection!

Thread: Unwanted HP ink
01/03/2016 16:51:17

I just viewed the impressive photo on Google Earth. Dismantling that must have been quite a job; reminds me of the London Bridge sale.

01/03/2016 16:15:43

mechman48:

For a moment I thought I had found a taker! The 338s are well out of date but my impression is that they will still probably work so I live in hope.

I checked your profile but couldn't see any clue as to the identity of the structure in your avatar?

Edited By ega on 01/03/2016 16:24:21

01/03/2016 14:32:12

I was on the point of binning this when it occurred to me that someone might get some use from it. The package is unopened and is dated August 2008.

Free to collect or sent for cost of stamp. PM me if interested.

Thread: Hello from a new joiner
01/03/2016 11:28:21

Duncan Munro:

As you probably know, GHT had the Quorn castings; I have a feeling that he never finished making it.

Thread: What Did You Do Today (2016)
28/02/2016 16:53:09

Mike:

Is that tadpole your own design? May we see a photo, please?

Thread: The Life Project
28/02/2016 11:35:19

Clive Foster:

Thank you. Any particular reason why you recognized them?

28/02/2016 11:07:33

Indeed, and I noted that they are wearing safety glasses/goggles (and ties!)

Edited By ega on 28/02/2016 11:08:23

28/02/2016 10:20:04

This Guardian article

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/feb/27/the-life-project-what-makes-some-people-happy-healthy-successful-and-others-not

contains a picture of young boys operating lathes at school. What lathe is it?

Thread: Specifying/making a rack
27/02/2016 17:15:44

John Reese:

Good point about the danger of buckling. I'm not familiar with the construction of the Fobco: if the rack is not supported at intervals (not clear from OP photos) the danger would be greater but if he is using two or more lengths they would presumably have to be fastened to the adjoining structure - column or whatever - which would reduce the danger.

27/02/2016 16:38:00

Ian Parkin:

If you do go in for a PA "mixed marriage" it might pay you to make the rack from something softer than the meshing gear - aluminium, say.

You could cut the long rack you want in your vertical mill using a shop-made D bit type cutter. Alternatively, you might be able to use the B&S type with the cutter on an arbor between centres on the lathe and the workpiece on the cross slide, re-indexing the work as necessary; Martin Cleeve made his racks this way.

Edited By ega on 27/02/2016 16:49:10

Edited By ega on 27/02/2016 16:50:01

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
EngineDIY
cowells
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest