By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for ega

Here is a list of all the postings ega has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Free books
15/03/2017 16:09:37

I am looking for good homes for a recently-deceased relative's books, they having been rejected at the local second-hand bookshop and Oxfam.

Ideally, they would go to an interested member of the forum who can collect from Medway in Kent. If there is such a person, would they please post and PM me? I could send a list of titles to anyone who is serious about this.

I shall otherwise have the unwelcome task of a trip to the recycling depot - almost as bad as burning them!

Edited By ega on 15/03/2017 16:11:09

Thread: Murad Bormilathe
06/03/2017 16:32:59

Apparently went for £470 so you were right that there would be interest in it.

Thread: New CBN wheels + Tormek drill sharpener
06/03/2017 12:25:43

Mike Poole:

Thank you for this point which I should have spotted.

Thread: Something special coming in issue 253 of MEW
06/03/2017 11:08:13

Neil Wyatt:

I look forward to this as I think an effective TT is a very useful addition to an amateur lathe.

One problem in practice is the tools fouling the toolpost particularly if a rear toolpost is fitted. For this reason, the late J A Radford preferred QC tailstock tooling, publishing his design in ME and his book "Improvements & Accessories for your Lathe". I have built this and use it very satisfactorily on my Super 7.

My larger lathe has a conventional TT, again very useful but fouling is a problem and I have often wished that the QC tailstock tooling once offered by Arrand were still available. I guess that the Arrand tools were based on a short steep taper with some means of retention/release. Can anyone add to this?

Thread: New CBN wheels + Tormek drill sharpener
06/03/2017 10:55:47

Dave Cee:

May we know where the CBN wheels came from and if you had good service from the supplier?

Thread: Nightmare removing 3 jaw chuck
03/03/2017 22:27:33

I bought an M&W no 200 from a reputable supplier many years ago and recall sending it back for a replacement on the ground that the stamped markings on this far from cheap item were askew.

I note that on this combination gauge you get female vees for all but the acme angle. The Starrett acme "gage" does provide a vee together with pitch gauges and the useful information that the depth of thread is half the pitch + 0.010".

I have never seen much point in the male vee that some gauges feature; any ideas?

Thread: Murad Bormilathe
03/03/2017 21:55:59

I noticed this and thought it looked somewhat molested and incomplete.

Thread: Classifieds with no photos
03/03/2017 11:07:19

Presumably, we all agree that there are times when a photo would be helpful.

As an example, I recently bought a Perfecto shaper via the MEW magazine small ads which was described in the ad as an Adept.

Thread: Thread Wires
02/03/2017 11:16:23

Here's a couple of Plasticene-based tips from the late Cliff Bower:

plasticene0001.jpg

The picture really only illustrates Tim Stevens' post; the knack of holding and operating the mic with one hand is likely to be helpful.

CB also pointed out the value of Plasticene in cleaning out blind tapped holes.

Thread: Perfecto Shaper
28/02/2017 23:44:29

Robbo

Very good of you but it seems that the relevant pages are available on the bedroom workshop site.

I assume that printed copies are rare - hence the crazy prices.

Thanks to all who responded to my post.

28/02/2017 17:29:01

Steven Vine, Cornish Jack and IanT:

Many thanks indeed for your valuable help; I've been in Perfecto heaven most of the afternoon pursuing the links you provided.

I "acquired" my machine at a competitive price judging by the information on the bedroom workshop site - interesting that the hand machines go for not much less than the powered. The same site has extensive extracts from the Bradley book which should mean I don't need to trouble you. I will look at Delmar.

Stands for the hand machines obviously have to be fixed but I wonder how far the powered version needs to be secured; would the reciprocating motion cause a castor-mounted stand to walk across the floor?

It also occurred to me that a custom stand could incorporate an adjustable brace for the table.

Edited By ega on 28/02/2017 17:30:02

28/02/2017 15:42:46

Ady1

Thank you for the helpful link (I did try to find the "front page search box" before reluctantly trying the next-to-useless version at top right).

Bernard Reilly

Thank you. I did look at the lathes.co.uk entry before posting. Tony has some literature but it is for the Perfecto lathes as well and possibly not economic therefore.

I will bear your kind offer in mind for when I begin to work with the machine. A plinth or baseboard is an attractive idea since it allows the whole machine to be put out of the way but they would need to be rather deep front to back to optimise the belt centres.

28/02/2017 14:44:01

I recently acquired one of these interesting machines. A search of the site threw up a solitary thread with this title which frustratingly turned out to be all about switch wiring.

I deduce from this that shapers are a minority interest. I know very little about them and tried unsuccessfully to get hold of a copy of Ian Bradley's book which I understand has a section on this machine.

Has anyone a copy they would be prepared to lend, please? Or other relevant guidance?

I plan to mount my machine on a stand with the motor underneath so as to allow for long pulley centres and thereby compensate for the very small size of the smallest of the three motor pulleys. Is there a "correct" height for these machines akin to the advice one sees about lathe centre heights?

Thread: Lathe out of commission for a while .
31/10/2016 10:54:59

For small jobs I have been using surgical spirit from a bottle that I first bought with the object of applying it to the "sit area"; I was then and still am a keen cyclist and the idea was to prevent saddle discomfort.

Thread: Dipstick in tailstock
06/05/2016 12:04:18

hth:

The South Bend lathe had this feature.

Your photo reminds me of the eye dropper or pipette made of glass with rubber bulb for drawing in and expelling drops; too vulnerable for lathe use but a useful idea.

Thread: Are we all infringing this patent?
25/04/2016 16:21:50

The answer to the OP's question so far as England and Wales is concerned is almost certainly to be found in s 60 of the Patents Act 1977 which is readily available on line. Acts done privately *and* not for commercial purposes are not infringements of patent.

I am no expert but I do know that IP law is a can of worms.

Edited By ega on 25/04/2016 16:41:18

Thread: Myford ML7 long bed drip tray / other parts
18/04/2016 14:49:28

The Myford 7 is essentially a bench lathe.

I have no experience of the Myford industrial stand (which is highly-rated) but I think that the standard sheet metal version could readily be bettered by, as you propose, welding up your own. Large sheet metal work involved in the tray could perhaps more suitably be put out. The raising blocks if made as four rather than two items are a simple turning job.

There is a body of opinion that favours mounting the Myford on a very flat, rigid and vibration-damping base eg, perhaps, granite.

Edited By ega on 18/04/2016 15:09:01

Thread: hemmingway drawings
12/04/2016 11:09:32

The Hemingway spherical turning tool is an updated version of the GHT/Radford design and was indeed covered in ME and GHT's book.

Michael Gilligan: good luck with your only one 'm'!

Thread: Special ER Collets
10/04/2016 10:47:04

My ER40 collet spanner is getting on for 1' long.

Thread: New useful tool hole cutting
08/04/2016 14:11:19

From looking at one or two You Tube videos it seems clear that a pilot hole is required as with the Q-Max style of punch. From this point of view, the main advantage seems to be more and easier punching power. Have you actually tried 3mm steel?

Do tell us some of the other uses you have in mind.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
EngineDIY
cowells
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest