By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for ega

Here is a list of all the postings ega has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: New here, just bought myself a Myford ML10 :)!
19/06/2021 15:22:59

The Super 7 has a leadscrew dial as standard which I find useful but it would be better still if the dial were re-settable.

Hemingway Kits have a design for thrust bearings for the leadscrew which incorporates re-setting via a pinch screw; has anyone experience of this?

Thread: Milling Slide for my CL250M
18/06/2021 14:46:49

Congratulations on being 56 years young!

Your 4. could be done by anyone with a 6x4 bandsaw or, dare I suggest, a hacksaw, file and some patience.

Thread: Editing my own thread
18/06/2021 11:04:31

Post numbers would be really helpful eg in avoiding posts which consist of a quote of a lengthy previous post with one or two new words added.

Thread: George Thomas retractable slide for the myford.
18/06/2021 10:59:34

I'm not clear whether the retractable top slide or retractable screw cutting tool holder is intended.

Thread: Irwin Record vice swivel base
17/06/2021 10:37:53
Posted by AJW on 17/06/2021 09:56:05:

Or find my old Cuban heels!

Alan

Or wear clogs; in addition to the extra height they are comfortable on concrete and provide some protection against impact.

Thread: Making an adjustable vice stop
16/06/2021 10:39:11
Posted by Nicholas Wheeler 1 on 16/06/2021 09:06:21:
Posted by Martin King 2 on 16/06/2021 08:08:42:

Stevie, May I please ask where you got the Bristol Clamping Levers?

Cheers, Martin

Axminster tools, Arc Euro Trade, Ebay, they're common parts available all over the place.

Agreed, but there are Bristol handles and Bristol handles. The best I have found are by Kipp, the least good those made of weak plastic and which cannot be dismantled. EE's Acute kit came with some very pretty small handles that I have not seen elsewhere; perhaps they will be imported under the new trade deal!

Thread: New here, just bought myself a Myford ML10 :)!
13/06/2021 14:12:18

Good luck with your new lathe!

I remember asking a Nottingham Myford representative why they stopped making the ML10 and was told, in effect, that they couldn't make them at a profit.

Thread: Some rather crass “Model Engineering” from Mercedes
13/06/2021 14:08:05

I must be missing something as I can't see anything "gorgeous" about the headlights.

Thread: Cutting Tool Applications
11/06/2021 12:22:40

MichaelG:

Thanks for the link to the appropriately-named Mr Schneider!

Thread: ER32 Extension
10/06/2021 09:14:26

DC31k:

Thanks for clearing up the confusion. I must admit that from looking at the EE site I had thought that the "extension" was just an over length ER collet chuck and the same sort of thing that I had made myself - over long to take account of the Myford gap bed.

I suppose that Turnado does not normally require great precision and that the two-part extender approach is defensible; all the same, it seems a shame to risk losing the accuracy of the normal one-piece article.

09/06/2021 22:56:48
Posted by JohnF on 09/06/2021 20:00:50:
Posted by ega on 09/06/2021 10:33:34:

JohnF:

Did you mean to suggest that the thread should be Whitworth form? My understanding is that they are metric (and made a slightly loose fit so that the tapers can work as intended).

Hi unless I misunderstood Vic is wanting an ER32 collet chuck to fit a Myford spindle ? - photo here**LINK** If thats what he wants then yes the spindle thread is Whitworth form, the collet nut thread is of course metric.

John

Thanks for clarifying - very surprising to me that anyone would offer a spindle fitting with the wrong thread form even though one wonders how much difference this would actually make.

Thread: Myford VMC Mill new nuts
09/06/2021 22:44:10

Ian Skeldon 2:

I could let you have an insert marked "5 ACME GC10F" if you think it will do your job.

PM me if you want to pursue this,

Edited By ega on 09/06/2021 22:45:42

Thread: ER32 Extension
09/06/2021 10:33:34

JohnF:

Did you mean to suggest that the thread should be Whitworth form? My understanding is that they are metric (and made a slightly loose fit so that the tapers can work as intended).

PS I couldn't see EE's chuck on their website but I'm sure Gary would answer an email query as to accuracy, availability, etc.

Edited By ega on 09/06/2021 10:38:47

07/06/2021 15:02:07

I'm afraid not; but if I needed another one I would make one (buying in the tricky nut).

Thread: Lathe bed way cover
07/06/2021 11:00:11
Posted by old mart on 06/06/2021 20:06:05:

I have just googled "lathe leadscrew guards" and one of the hits was just the ticket.

**LINK**

That type of guard was a standard fitting on the Willson slant bed lathe. The fabric used appears to be cotton canvas.

The Willson also had covers for the bed ways which in my experience are effective in excluding chips and saving the ways from damage; the bottom way, however, does need regular cleaning.

Another point is that like many lathes the cross slide dovetails and screw are exposed at full extension; I have fitted a concertina which helps with this.

Thread: An interesting device, on ebay
06/06/2021 11:05:59
Posted by Circlip on 06/06/2021 08:58:18:

Strange how so many bits of metal clag are classed as "Lathe - Myford" and anything with a flywheel advertised as "Stuart Turner". At least now, not all turning tools are suitable for Myford .

Regards Ian.

And how many advertisers profess to know nothing about their offerings!

Thread: What is your favourite "unusual tool that you find useful" ?
06/06/2021 11:03:58

Nicholas Wheeler 1:

I wonder how you lost your filler-cap?

Years ago someone stole the temperature gauge cum radiator cap from my Austin Seven and I replaced it temporarily with a rolled up newspaper. They say that the ability to improvise is the mark of an engineer; to day cable ties and Blu-Tack, whilst not unusual, are the favourites of many.

Thread: Smart & Brown thro tumble gear broken.
29/05/2021 10:44:30

old mart:

I think your second photo's caption may explain where the OP's description came from.

Thread: Rear toolpost for Chester craftsman
28/05/2021 11:42:40

Howard

Thanks for taking the trouble to explain.

My own scaled up GHT-style RTP is only one way, at least at the moment, but I "got round" to adding spring-loaded indexing recently because I was finding it desirable to swivel the tool out of the way of the tailstock turret; indexing allows me to re-set the tool quickly and accurately.

28/05/2021 10:06:06
Posted by Howard Lewis on 28/05/2021 09:09:18:

Look in my Albums. There are some pictures of mine.

I made a four way indexing back toolpost for my Engineers ToolRoom BL12 -24 (Which is a Craftsman / Warco BH600 clone. Look at Taiwanese lathes on Lathes UK! )

It started life as a length of steel, machined to 3 x 1 (Scrap at work! ) which was cut into lengths and laminated to make the Toolpost and the base.

One day, an article might appear in MEW detailing how it was made!

Howard

I look forward to this. I wasn't clear from the photos how the indexing was achieved.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
walker midge
emcomachinetools
Warco
Dreweatts
JD Metals
rapid Direct
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest