By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for ega

Here is a list of all the postings ega has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Bureaucracy with a tinge of Madness
25/06/2021 17:48:02
Posted by Frances IoM on 25/06/2021 12:52:58:
do people seriously allow html and javascript to be interpreted by a browser in the emails - if so they deserve all they get.

Why not save them from themselves by offering a few tips on avoiding this folly?

Thread: vertical slide mill MA68/1
25/06/2021 17:45:15

I follow you and agree that a new dovetail spigot to the vertical slide would be much preferable. I'm not clear whether the existing is integral but hope you can successfully turn up and fit a new one to fit the cross slide.

My point was that I couldn't see the pads in your photos (and was puzzled by lock nuts on the screws).

The standard Myford slide is retained via the cross slide tee slots, of course, and this might be an alternative to consider. In either case, it looks as though some work is required.

25/06/2021 17:08:58

My query was based on the idea that your cross slide is the Myford Super 7 style. The pads are handed and shaped to correspond with the dovetail on the underside of the topslide base. Here is an extract from the parts list showing the two thrust pads numbered 39 and 63 (they are different and must not be swapped):

thrustpads_edited-1.jpg

25/06/2021 15:54:23

brian jones 11:

It looks as though the shaped pads which are meant to bear on the dovetail are missing?

25/06/2021 10:18:28

I have just seen a reference to an HMRC web page about tax scams:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/phishing-and-bogus-emails-hm-revenue-and-customs-examples/phishing-emails-and-bogus-contact-hm-revenue-and-customs-examples#tax-refund-and-rebate-scams

It's rather general but does not suggest that scammers are writing letters as opposed to emailing, phoning or texting.

I don't think this particular page has been mentioned above and, in any event, it may be worth repeating.

Thanks to SOD for his factual post.

24/06/2021 11:21:51
Posted by noel shelley on 24/06/2021 10:56:45:

HMRC would send me a £100 penalty every year claiming late filing, only to refund it on appeal, even though the forms were in on time....

Not sure if the HMRC is immune from prosecution but, if not, were they not "attempting to obtain a pecuniary advantage by deception" ie theft?

It may be that the necessary criminal intent is lacking but if it's done year after year ...

Of course, any fine would effectively be paid by you and me.

Thread: Pitch Circle
24/06/2021 11:16:11
Posted by old mart on 23/06/2021 18:34:58:

I'm surprised that the jig boring coordinates are missing from a Zeus book as the metric revision has been out for a number of years. I have recently bought some copys marked issue 11/19 and the hole spacing page is about 3 pages after the UNF threads.

Many thanks for that. I have just checked and the coordinates are indeed there on one of the middle pages.

I think I must have had in mind the omission of the "BA std threads" data from later editions; the BA tapping drill sizes are still present in the 1995 metric revision and the newcomers are, of course, the NC pages and the drawing symbols and abbreviations.

Thread: Split cotters
24/06/2021 09:03:15
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 23/06/2021 19:14:26:

Main thing is making sure the cotters are significantly smaller diameter than the clamped bar, so the action is on the right section.

I remember when changing pedal cotter pins was a regular maintenance task on my bicycles. Cotterless cranks were a revelation

Neil

I, too, remember cottered cranks. They were certainly not self-releasing and I saved my pocket money until I could afford a cotter-less set - strange to define something in terms of what it is not!

The continentals were ahead of us in adopting tapers, splines, etc for this; today, new systems seem to come along every year.

PS According to Archibald Sharp, cranks were originally keyed  to their axles - very secure but difficult to remove.

Edited By ega on 24/06/2021 09:09:19

24/06/2021 08:48:19

I was concerned by the no doubt well-meaning scam warnings given above, particularly as when trying to access my PTA I now don't receive the promised SMS and can't get access.

Like Samsaranda I am fairly confident I initially applied via the correct official route - see my earlier post. I am not surprised to find from the HMRC customer forum that many others have had problems with this process (which is still in beta form):

Unfortunately, getting a problem-specific answer from HMRC is not easy and because of the involvement of the private sector they both have a perfect buck-passing mechanism - bureaucratic perpetual motion.

Thread: Involute gear cutters?
23/06/2021 17:57:35

I seem to recall someone who bought a set of module cutters which *were* numbered as for DP.

Plus one for Ivan Law.

23/06/2021 17:53:21

DC31k:

I agree with the principle of your comment but how far are clamp and release affected by the fact that the contact is an arc of a circle rather than an inclined plane?

Thread: Pitch Circle
23/06/2021 17:36:27
Posted by old mart on 22/06/2021 15:21:26:

A very useful addition to any workshop would be a Zeus book of engineering formula. There is a page showing how to produce pcd's using X and Y coordinates on mills and jig borers if you don't have the luxury of a rotary table.

Those handy coordinates have been omitted from my last-bought Zeus and I can't find the old ones!

23/06/2021 17:31:38

Some months ago I had a virtually identical experience save that I fell at the identity fence; who can readily remember how long ago they last took out a credit card?

More recently, I was able to negotiate the obstacle course and can now access my PTA (for what it is worth). This may have been due to the removal of Experian from the process.

When I eventually got through on the phone I spoke to a pleasant woman who agreed with my entirely incidental comment that the dating of the tax year was an absurd anomaly.

PS I ended up writing to HMRC. You have to ring up to get the address and they warn you that a reply will take at least six weeks.

Edited By ega on 23/06/2021 17:33:52

Thread: How Elgin made Jewels for Chronometers
23/06/2021 12:18:49

I don't know about benzene or benzine but carbon tet which is also used in the process is frowned on today.

Presumably, olive oil, shellac and honey to name a few more are safe enough!

Thread: 2D and 3D Cad Software Recommendations
23/06/2021 11:05:18
Posted by jann west on 22/06/2021 11:00:33:

I recently had to draw something simple for waterjet cutting, and found that I could download and install Autodesk Autosketch v10 from the internet. It's easy to use for simple 2d drawings, and outputs industry standard cad files. Technically it is not "free" but is no longer sold or actively marketed, and seems to come under the label of abandonware - certainly it is easy to find and if Autodesk wanted it removed the process is relatively straightforward.

I have sent you a PM

23/06/2021 09:10:15

I have wondered about this question, too.

When using the method in my own modest designs I have always aimed to get the centres as close as possible without the clamp bolt fouling; this, instinctively, seems to give best clamping and if there is a tendency not to release, as has been said, the remedy is to turn a bit off the inner ends of the cotters.

MichaelG:

I followed your link with interest. The Quorn has a long tail!

Thread: Lathe milling
22/06/2021 22:37:11
Posted by speelwerk on 19/06/2021 22:13:00:

I once milled down a spare Myford cross slide to fit a large diameter tube between the centers, the cutter needed re-sharpening after work done.

Of course would also encourage Ozebob to give it a try but you do not want a broken tap left in your cross slide because you was a bit over enthousiast.

Niko.

Thanks for elaborating your earlier comment and incidentally adding to the Myford's reputation for tackling the seemingly-impossible. I think you may have been unlucky with your casting as I have tapped numerous holes in Myford cross slides without problem.

I agree about the horrors of removing broken taps!

Thread: Chuck keys
22/06/2021 15:42:38

Some such arrangement has two additional advantages: the key is not going to be left in the chuck and the ease of removal and replacement facilitates cleaning chips out of the scroll, etc.

But you do have to guard against the jaws dropping out before you are ready to catch them!

Thread: Lathe milling
19/06/2021 21:35:11
Posted by speelwerk on 19/06/2021 18:28:52:

Do not know your lathe but cross slides can be made of quite hard material which makes drilling and tapping not that easy. Niko.

I was surprised by this and wonder if you can give some examples of lathes with this characteristic.

I would encourage Ozebob to give his idea a try; perhaps a trial hole in an unobtrusive location on the cross slide?

Thread: New here, just bought myself a Myford ML10 :)!
19/06/2021 21:25:38
Posted by derek hall 1 on 19/06/2021 16:29:18:

I fitted the Hemingway upgrade to the leadscrew dial on my Myford S7 some years ago. It's an easy and useful upgrade but I find the resetting pinch screw always seems to end up in the opposite side to the user I.e. in the most inaccessible position!

Regards

Derek

Thanks for this very interesting point. I will ponder on how the difficulty might be overcome.

My reason for mentioning this modification (which seems applicable in principle to the ML10) was that I had some doubts over the ability of the pinch screw to withstand the torque from the rotation of the handle without slipping.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
walker midge
emcomachinetools
Warco
Dreweatts
JD Metals
rapid Direct
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest