By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for ega

Here is a list of all the postings ega has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: How do I machine this groove?
01/06/2020 17:23:36
Posted by Clive Brown 1 on 01/06/2020 17:07:31:

... Although Prof. Chaddock covers the machining of the spindle at some length in the ME articles, he doesn't mention this groove. ...

Surprising, as the book is very much the same as the ME articles; another good reason to stump up for the book!

The OP just has the drawings; if they came from Hemingway without instructions it seems likely that they assumed either the articles or the book would be available. I realize that a competent machinist ought to be able to reproduce a part from a drawing bit I like to have a bit of help by way of instructions!

01/06/2020 17:14:12

I see that the MK3 drawings are metric; DHC's design was, of course, imperial and he specified a (double-ended) cutter with one end 0.940" OD x 0.810 ID, the other 0.815" x 0.685"; I opted to make two cutters which seemed easier:

dscn1825.jpg

IIRC, I marked the teeth out in the lathe and filed them by hand with a neutral front rake. I think the through hole was to facilitate holding the tool for hardening and tempering.

Thread: Burgundy finish to tools with wooden handles?
01/06/2020 16:35:56
Posted by KWIL on 01/06/2020 13:46:27:

Just taken a look at my own Yankee driver, It was definately a black finish, woodgrain only shows where the finish has been rubbed away by use over the years. Had it since new.

Was it by any chance one of the early North Brothers drivers?

Thread: Hobbymat top slide repair
01/06/2020 16:33:57

Look forward to hearing how you get on - perhaps an "after" photo?

If the pin in the base is hardened it's likely to be an inserted steel item - sorry my initial suggestion wasn't clear.

Thread: How do I machine this groove?
01/06/2020 16:29:26

Unless the design has been changed this is well covered in the book.

I could post a photo of the cutters I made for the job if this would help.

01/06/2020 14:24:18
Posted by Gene Pavlovsky on 01/06/2020 13:13:51:

Thanks guys, it's good to hear that the clamp solution is not that bad and can actually be good.

I will make sure to make the clamps look nice to remind me of my clumsiness/stupidity!

Bazyle, I don't quite get how I could make the clamps sit lower than the original screw solution. Well maybe 1 mm lower. Can you please make a sketch of what you mean?

Gene:

I gather you are going for the clamp solution which may well be best.

Looking at your drawing suggests that there may be insufficient meat in the part to allow the whole of the base to be replaced (which is what I had envisaged) ie not sure if there is room for the retaining screws; and, perhaps, that milling it off would remove part of the through hole for the leadscrew. I don't think a stepped or lap joint would be a sound solution.

I agree that the original design with its cored slots is a bit vulnerable.

Thread: Workshop Gloves
01/06/2020 14:04:34
Posted by Mike Poole on 01/06/2020 12:32:37:

Honda Engineering build the production lines for Honda vehicles, I worked with some of them on an installation they built for us. Every day they had clean white overalls and gloves which they rarely worked without, every morning they started with a meeting to set the program for the day, this was conducted on the shop floor with everyone in a circle in the squatting position, it would kill my thighs to hold that position for more than a few seconds, luckily it was only for Honda personnel.

Mike

Is that what was meant by "quality circles"?

01/06/2020 12:17:58

I remember seeing a photo of the Honda F1 mechanics in their cotton gloves many years ago (possibly on the cover of Motor Sport) but I think this was done to protect the machinery rather than the workers!

Thread: Macc Models 'Multi-Spec' Cutting and Tapping Fluid
01/06/2020 12:15:30

Thanks for the tip.

RTD is, of course, also available as a fairly viscous liquid.

I may try the Macc product when (and if) I exhaust my Rocol!

01/06/2020 12:09:32
Posted by Gene Pavlovsky on 01/06/2020 11:19:58:

ega, do you mean the replacement would screw from the bottom (can imagine that), or from the side (more difficult to imagine)? In theory it could be possible. I don't have a mill, so machining off would probably have to be outsourced (unless I, as a beginner, just don't see the obvious way to do that in the lathe, without using the top slide as the vertical slide).

I didn't attempt a detailed proposal as I don't know the precise construction. But assuming the normal arrangement of a male dovetail with a base for fastening to the cross slide then, yes, I would be thinking of screwing (and, perhaps, bonding also) from the bottom with countersunk screws. The replacement base could well be made from gauge plate (ground flat stock) for flatness but mild steel would be fine, too. You would obviously need some way of turning or milling off the broken area - perhaps even a toolpost mounted direct to your cross slide - and similarly for making the replacement part. The arcuate slots could be produced by drilling and filing if no other means is available.

All that said, the clamp-based suggestions seem perfectly workable as the broken off area seems to be doing little more than supporting one side of the clamp bolts.

Good luck!

Edited By ega on 01/06/2020 12:10:18

01/06/2020 10:16:41

Just an instant suggestion: could the broken flat part be machined off the dovetail in favour of a screwed on steel replacement?

Thread: Burgundy finish to tools with wooden handles?
31/05/2020 21:03:16

I don't think the woodstain will obliterate the grain of the wood. Dipping in the appropriate paint or lacquer is the way to go.

Thread: Etalon comparator micrometer
31/05/2020 12:30:12

EdH:

This looks like your adjustable mic - cost a small fortune when new; illustration is from a 1900 Buck & Hickman catalogue:

starrett mic.jpg

Thread: Parting tip breakage
31/05/2020 11:01:49

Clive Foster:

Amen to that last paragraph!

Have you ever thought of collecting some of your posts for the benefit of the rest of us?

Thread: Workshop Gloves
30/05/2020 11:44:36
Posted by clogs on 30/05/2020 11:19:38:

Cant believe all these NANCY boy's wearing them.......

They probably wear them in Besançon, too!

30/05/2020 11:02:30

One use for gloves which I don't think has been mentioned is as an aid to heavy lifting; I sometimes use in addition a waist brace rather like the ones that Stirling Moss used to wear.

When it comes to barrier cream I know nothing better than PR88.

Thread: Frustration in taking photos using my Galaxy A20e mobile phone
30/05/2020 10:55:45

I have an inherent dislike of touching the screen and mostly use a stylus.

30/05/2020 08:39:53

You may be able to configure the phone app so that a physical button "presses the shutter"; obviously the click can be turned off, too.

Thread: Earthing Issue on new machine
29/05/2020 10:57:57

Robert Atkinson 2:

Thank you. I get the impression that corded tools are fast disappearing in favour of cordless and I suppose the inconvenience of the 110V transformer has contributed to that.

Thread: Thread cutting - Apron does not engage with the lead screw
29/05/2020 10:44:13

PS The ball lever on top of the gearbox has a neutral position in which the leadscrew is not connected - apologies if you knew that!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest