By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for ega

Here is a list of all the postings ega has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Pins for a knurling tool - how hard should they be?
18/04/2021 09:53:40

Good tip about dowel pins.

I replaced my own hardened silver steel pins with modified scrap Clarkson end mills. I don't know how hard the shanks of these are but they are standing up well in my knurling tool. I lubricate them with moly grease.

Thread: ML7 tight saddle
17/04/2021 11:07:27

Building on what has been said above, would it pay the OP to dowel the saddle gib?

Thread: What to do with old reamers
16/04/2021 17:43:11

You could try a method suggested to me by a toolmaker friend for dull hand reamers. He advised that running a carbide rod of suitable diameter inside the flute and pressed against the cutting edge would improve matters.

The principle is no doubt the same as raising a burr on a cabinet maker's scraper.

Thread: Tailstock turret
15/04/2021 23:13:56

Congratulations on completing your turret!

J A Radford considered making one but was deterred by the likely problem of tooling fouling other parts of the lathe. His solution was the quick change holders shown in his book.

Will you report in due course on how far, if at all, this is an issue for you?

Thread: Swarf:
15/04/2021 14:26:09

Just to clarify: I take it you are looking for chips rather than spaghetti?!

Also, do you want heat-oxidised material?

Thread: Loctite or Draper? Much difference?
12/04/2021 23:10:11

I have no experience of the Draper product but can report an unexpected result from using Loctite 638.

I wanted to fit a 16mm diameter component into a 0.750" hole and used as a basis for the necessary sleeve some 3/4" PGMS which fitted the hole nicely. A sleeve was duly turned up and Loctited into place but when tried for fit after curing the result would not enter the hole and my micrometer revealed the job was now 0.0005" oversize.

I assume that the adhesive swells on curing and that the thin walled sleeve was unable to contain this.

I would add that the Loctite was several years old, that I used an accelerator/ cleaner on the surfaces to be joined and left it on a warm radiator to cure.

I shall try to lap this to size.

12/04/2021 10:32:59

Posted by Clive Foster on 12/04/2021 09:43:52:

What got me was that the Pattex version in its nice little squeezer "bottle" was about half the price of the same tube of Loctite from the usual sources.

Crazy world.

Clive

Your intriguing revelation reminds me of the supposed practice in the old fashioned grocery trade of offering Ordinary and Best Paraffin both supplied by pipe from the same tank in the roof.

Thread: Bandsaw - wood and metal ?
11/04/2021 16:35:42

larry phelan:

Sorry too hear that your Startrite bandsaw - they used to be made just down the road from me - is not performing well.

I have had some success cutting sheet steel with a Rage/Evolution blade on the radial arm saw.

Thread: Spindle thread wont engage ml10...
11/04/2021 12:16:59

bricky:

If I understand you correctly, the Myford engineer ran a tap through the backplate thread? Or did he use the chaser on the spindle itself?

The taps are available and I have found them useful for fine-tuning backplate threads.

Thread: "TINKER" tool & cutter grinder
10/04/2021 21:44:44
Posted by Hopper on 10/04/2021 15:39:00:

Some people do not really want the extra money ...

I had thought about putting some of my magazine articles together into an ebook but decided against it for this reason.

Edited By Hopper on 10/04/2021 15:45:40

If this is GL's position then it would be open to him to put his books, etc into the public domain.

Hopper: can you tell us a bit more about your own articles?

10/04/2021 21:39:10
Posted by Mike Poole on 10/04/2021 18:53:21:
Posted by MC Black on 10/04/2021 12:49:23:

Why doesn't Mr. Lautard appoint an agent in the United Kingdom to sell his books and drawings?

I think Camden Miniature Steam Services used to supply the books from Guy but the books seem to be out of print and so perhaps the arrangement has lapsed if there ever was one.

Mike

Yes. My copy of TMBR1 came from Camdens and cost a sensible £14.45.

Edited By ega on 10/04/2021 21:45:08

10/04/2021 14:24:38
Posted by MC Black on 10/04/2021 12:49:23:

Why doesn't Mr. Lautard appoint an agent in the United Kingdom to sell his books and drawings?

Or publish the books via Kindle?

Thread: Myford Super 7 spanner sizes
10/04/2021 10:03:54

Did anyone mention the square socket wrench needed for the standard Super 7 topslide clamp screws?

I long ago changed mine for hex socket screws: easier to access with a ball-ended driver and less temptation to overtighten.

I think that one reason folk reach for the inherently inferior shifting spanner is the difficulty in selecting the right conventional tool from a bunch of others but colour-coding would solve that problem.

Thread: (bicycle) thread identification?
09/04/2021 10:54:41

Look up Sheldon Brown; it's all there.

Or get Sutherland's manual if you have the money.

Thread: Home Made Rear Toolpost Issue
05/04/2021 17:21:45
Posted by Dr_GMJN on 05/04/2021 11:07:35:

Ok thanks guys. So I could make a gauge similar to Johns. To get the height, perhaps put some bar in the chuck, then measure the height by putting slip gauges on the cross slide, then add the radius of the bar? Then machine to that dimension? I don’t have a height gauge, but have got most of a set of second hand slips.

I don't think this post was up when I suggested the use of a height gauge. I believe slip gauges are indeed the pukka way to measure but the bar radius would need to be carefully ascertained.

05/04/2021 11:56:39
Posted by Dr_GMJN on 04/04/2021 21:46:45:

Determining centre height to that degree isn't something I could do. I'm currently setting tools initially be eye against a dead centre, then by trial and error to home in on not getting a pip. Pretty tedious.

If you have a height gauge you can scribe a line on a flat piece of metal in the chuck, rotate 90 degrees and repeat until the two coincide.

Any other suggestions?

Thread: Warco 712 Bandsaw
05/04/2021 10:00:44

The OP could get the discussion back on track by responding to comments.

I agree that there is a tendency to adopt a "I wouldn't go to Cork from here" attitude.

03/04/2021 12:15:25

Is there any reason to think that the essential components of the 712 are any better (or worse) than those of the cheaper Warco models?

Let's hope it will soon be possible to visit Warco et al and see such machines working!

Thread: Home made screws
03/04/2021 12:09:48

Phil P:

Thank for posting the link!

02/04/2021 11:25:09

MichaelG:

Thank you. I'll measure again with greater care!

In accepting the imperial measure I may have been influenced by the understanding that one of the pre-decimalisation coins was exactly 1" in diameter.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
JD Metals
ChesterUK
cowells
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest