By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for ega

Here is a list of all the postings ega has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Myford Lever Action Tailstock Design and Build
02/04/2022 23:20:09

Nice work!

Clearly, you had to shape and fettle as the fabrication proceeded with this complex shape. I imagine that the raising blocks and tailstock (would) have been less challenging.

Thread: Murad Cadet Restoration Project
02/04/2022 12:38:32

Impressive!

Are those levers held on with taper pins?

I take it you are using a brushing enamel?

01/04/2022 11:08:57
Posted by Hopper on 01/04/2022 00:00:32:

Thanks for the reminder Ega. Looks like a good alternative. Motorbike handgrips, of which i have plenty kicking around, come to mind.

I expect you'll go for the Myford-style ball to begin with; I found it a bit hard on the palm of my hand and the replacement seems much nicer.

I'm fascinated by your faux castings!

31/03/2022 23:16:16

I mentioned the value of a non-standard handle end in my post (with photo) on 17 March.

The S7 version is 9/16" diameter. To keep the weight down at the outer end I step-drilled my replacement handle.

Thread: Zoom microphone
23/03/2022 11:39:40
Posted by duncan webster on 22/03/2022 20:15:14:

[...]

Never even heard of Audacity, but it looks like just the thing for digitising audio tapes?

Ocenaudio is a recommended, simpler alternative.

Thread: Boring Cutter Sharpening
19/03/2022 22:52:12

As so often, there is good information in GHT's Workshop Manual.

Thread: Newton Tesla Motor units
17/03/2022 11:02:29
Posted by Stephen Follows on 17/03/2022 10:59:42:

Thanks for replies. I don’t need exact speeds, this is why I thought maths would work. Looking at the various replies I think I’ll go for measurements with my hand held tachometer and print a scale for the control. First job, order new motor.

I did something like this and printed it on magnetic paper so that it could readily be removed or modified.

17/03/2022 11:00:50

Hopper:

I realise that you are reproducing the Myford item but may I commend a more comfortable style of handle?

p1030646.jpg

16/03/2022 23:32:08

A small but worthwhile feature of the Rotabroach or similar is that particularly when used without a pilot they produce a useful slug of material on completion of the cut.

I take the point about the strain on the keyway but, of course, size for size they produce less chips than drilling/boring; the chips, however, are long and curly. Incidentally, it seems possible that using them with the lever feed tailstock would allow the lever to react some of the torque.

Thread: Measure twice — Cut once
16/03/2022 11:35:04

MichaelG:

Thanks for the link which is right up my alley at the moment as I have undertaken to give a talk about electricity!

Thread: Chuck backplate from steel weldment?
16/03/2022 11:32:18

MikeK:

I would encourage you to try the weldment approach. Here is one I made to rescue a condemned hobby drill press:

dscn2122.jpg

Rough turning the disc and tube allows easy vee joint preparation and after welding the result is re-machined (mine hasn't quite cleaned up).

Thread: Model Engineers Handbook
10/03/2022 11:57:43

Hopper:

Thank you for your insights and congratulations on living within the aura of Clickspring!

LP seems to have a rather dour view of his former students but I would imagine that some at least responded to his teaching. What could be more satisfying than successfully passing on your knowledge to the younger generation?

Thread: Lever operated tailstock attachment Myford
10/03/2022 10:29:24

bernard towers:

I, too, will PM you.

Thread: Model Engineers Handbook
10/03/2022 10:26:13
Posted by John Reese on 10/03/2022 00:33:33:

Lyle Peterson is a retired high school shop teacher. I don't think his expertise extends beyond what was required for that job.

I know him only through his many excellent YouTube videos; that at least makes him more than you suggest.

Thread: Lever operated tailstock attachment Myford
09/03/2022 17:25:25
Posted by Hopper on 09/03/2022 11:19:32:

I'm thinking of having five bob each way and making a lever action "sensitive" attachment that fits into the MT2 taper in the existing tailstock, using a nice Jacobs 3/8" chuck I have kicking around. Handy for drilling small and medium holes then easily popped out to make way for a centre or bigger chuck.

Myford call them a sensitive drilling attachment but I think I will make mine a bit bigger for general use.

Another form of each way bet would be the design by the late John Stevenson which cunningly combined both screw and lever feed.

08/03/2022 23:18:41

MikeK's link shows the ML7 attachment.

If anyone is interested, there are photos of my customised version for the Super 7 in my Miscellaneous album (search for 645 and 646).

My custom handle can be instantly released/clamped to adjust the leverage or to move it in out of the way or even removed completely to use it as a drift to release tailstock tooling.

08/03/2022 17:33:47
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 08/03/2022 16:44:08:...

Order a copy of L.H.Sparey's "The Amateur's Lathe" : he describes and explains most Myford-era lathe work brilliantly.

LHS was a convert to the advantages of the lever feed tailstock: "A few months after obtaining my ML.7 lathe I fitted this attachment ... since when - if may coin a phrase - I have used no other." (from A Man and His Lathe).

He also points out the advantage of easier self-feeding when using taps and dies and the easier use of reamers (where feed and withdrawal should be rapid).

TEE Publishing may still have copies of this excellent little book.

08/03/2022 15:10:01

Lucky you!

It's a desirable replacement for the standard screw feed - quicker, more sensitive action for drilling with the ability to retract rapidly.

Thread: oh my goodness
05/03/2022 17:46:46

Alan Jackson:

Your photo reminds me how useful it is to have tee slots on the four jaw, a feature often not found on the smaller hobby ones.

A friend gave me his weights which disappointingly turned out to consist of some kind of resin or concrete in plastic cases.

Thread: Too lazy or too stupid?
05/03/2022 17:38:07

This Old Tony has a good YouTube video on thread wires.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Rapid RC
Dreweatts
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest