By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for ega

Here is a list of all the postings ega has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Faster Screw-Cutting
24/04/2021 15:36:29

Chris Crew:

Re Radford QC tooling, I think you are entitled to go off topic in your own thread!

However, I actually had in mind his tailstock tooling and commend this to you if you have not already tried it.

24/04/2021 11:08:55

Nigel Graham 2:

Thanks for answering my unspoken question, namely, as to the working principle of the Ainjest. Doesn't having one of these devices render other solutions unnecessary?

I agree that the JAR design looks a bit Heath Robinson but if JAR said it works then I expect it does.

I cherish the ambition of making the Graham Meek version.

24/04/2021 10:23:36

PS There have been a number of designs for this sort of thing in ME and elsewhere; I recall that one ME correspondent claimed to have copied the JAR design exactly and completely failed to get it to work!

And by the way, just about visible in JAR's photo is his quick change tailstock tooling with interchangeable tools sitting on the end of the (long) bed.

All this and much more is described in his book Improvements and Accessories for your Lathe.

24/04/2021 10:14:06

It may help to show the JAR attachment:

jar2.jpg

and a brief extract from his description:

jar1.jpg

Thread: Best way to cut/turn a 75mm Disc from a piece of Aluminium Plate
23/04/2021 16:41:17
Posted by DC31k on 23/04/2021 15:31:25:...

Superglue on a thick sacrificial disk and use a shortened pilot drill if you do not want a hole in the offcut.

Good idea but, to my surprise, following a tip on the forum I find that hole saws work OK without the pilot.

Thread: Taper nosed drill chuck
22/04/2021 09:46:11

I see from one of the adverts that it came in a keyless version, too.

21/04/2021 23:44:40

MichaelG:

Many thanks for posting the drawing which resembles my own chuck and I think confirms that my taper shank is indeed integral.

I note that one of Oily Rag's chucks has a taper back (?JT1) and would comment that there seems to be insufficient meat for, say, the JT6 taper commonly found on 1/2" capacity drill chucks.

Incidentally, my reason for wanting to fit an alternative taper shank was that I thought my 1/2" chuck rather too large for the Myford Seven; at well over 1KG it is getting on for twice as heavy as the 1/2" Jacobs no 32.

The Cardinal design is somewhat reminiscent of the Taylor chuck.

21/04/2021 18:54:43

Oily Rag:

I omitted to offer my congratulations on your excellent acquisition; my own chuck was a used find but still works well. Your left or right hand cutting point reminds me that the current self-tightening chucks are also self-loosening!

I do find the Jacobs chuck key range a bit confusing and it may help to add that the no 3 key I suggested fits the Jacobs no 34 chuck body.

As to the MT, I called it integral because I can't see any way to remove it. The patent drawing may resolve this.

Edited By ega on 21/04/2021 18:54:58

Edited By ega on 21/04/2021 18:55:28

21/04/2021 16:36:14

A Jacobs no 3 seems about right for the gear but you would have to reduce the diameter of the pilot (this applies to my Cardinal 1/2" chuck with integral 2MT).

GHT favoured the Cardinal which, of course, tightens the "wrong" way round; the key bears a stamped arrow and the notaton "To Lock".

Edited By ega on 21/04/2021 16:44:22

Thread: Do these tools still exist?
20/04/2021 10:39:19

I believe Arc also do sets with interchangeable pilots.

The excellent Granlund counterbores are an expensive alternative but sometimes available more reasonably on eBay.

I note the OP's preference for purchasing these but if a simple spot-face is needed one can readily be made in the shop.

Edited By ega on 20/04/2021 10:39:49

Thread: Brazil Nuts [the dynamic behaviour of]
20/04/2021 10:08:41

MichaelG:

In my ignorance, I hadn't wondered; but I have added the phrase to my store of useful metaphors.

Thread: ML7 tight saddle
19/04/2021 11:30:25

Nigel:

Thanks for telling me. Roll on the new site software!

Thread: Fortis lathe
19/04/2021 11:23:12

lester eddy:

Might you provide some Fortis memories to Tony Griffiths to supplement the existing lathes.co.uk entry?

Good luck with your search!

Thread: Looking for a block of cast iron please
18/04/2021 16:24:04

Thanks, Jason!

18/04/2021 15:39:54

Thanks for the link.

I was quite surprised to learn that the German(?) for toolpost is apparently "toolpost"!

I didn't watch the whole video and don't know how he achieved that beautiful shape - but I would have recessed the four hold-down screws.

18/04/2021 14:48:34

Nigel Graham 2:

My comment has veered off-topic and I will reply to your interesting post via PM.

Edited By ega on 18/04/2021 14:49:07

Thread: Pins for a knurling tool - how hard should they be?
18/04/2021 14:37:02

PS I couldn't immediately find the other article on archive.org but was able to "Snip" the google pages to jpg.

The PM device seems more suitable for making in the amateur workshop.

18/04/2021 14:06:16

JAR noticed that each time he removed the original cam there was "quite a lot of steel swarf jammed in the grooves". I think it would be fair to say that he worked his Seven fairly hard.

His comment was contained in a constructional article for an elaborate auto trip accessory for the saddle. To my mind some kind of trip is perhaps the one desirable feature that the Seven lacks.

Thread: Pins for a knurling tool - how hard should they be?
18/04/2021 12:40:49

Clive Foster:

Many thanks for the comprehensive response.

Getting back to the OP question, I notice that the ME author, R V Howis Senior, tempered his Silver steel pins to blue.

Edited By ega on 18/04/2021 12:52:21

18/04/2021 11:03:38

Is it possible in practice to traverse the nutcracker by hand?

Or is it intended for knurling the same width as the knurls themselves?

Even with this limitation it seems a great idea.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
JD Metals
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest