By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for ega

Here is a list of all the postings ega has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Converting fractions to decimals
17/08/2021 10:01:10

Has anyone mentioned the "Digital Caliper with Fractions"? I find my Wixey brand version quite useful for converting between fractions/decimals/millimetres.

The fraction/decimal equivalents are not precise, however; eg "0.061 to 0.065" is shown as 1/16".

Thread: Hello from Winnipeg, Canada
14/08/2021 11:07:24

Len Deighton's "Fighter" is very good on the Hurricane and Spitfire

Thread: Nu-tool Milling Machine
13/08/2021 14:26:13
Posted by Howard Lewis on 13/08/2021 13:54:17:

It looks very like a Rong Fu RF25, sold by Warco as the "Economy", I think.

I think it may be one up from the equivalent of the Economy; my Economy has a rather short table with only three tee slots and no clutch for the down feed.

Thread: ML7 (S7?) saddle clamp hack
13/08/2021 12:07:35
Posted by roy entwistle on 13/08/2021 11:46:06:

ega when I did that it always filled up with swarf

Roy

True, but as I regularly use a shopvac to clean up the swarf it's not a problem in practice and, as NDIY says, I could leave the key in place if it were.

An additional advantage of a key/handle/spanner of some kind is that it gives an indication of whether the saddle is locked or not.

13/08/2021 11:27:35

I replaced my screw/bolt with a countersunk washer and socket screw so that I can get at the cross slide clamp screw when necessary:

dscn2029.jpg

The S7 block type cross slide gibs were mentioned in another post; I have found it helpful to install a clamping grub screw in line with the centre of each even though the front one is often hard to get at.

Thread: Sort of ... ???
10/08/2021 10:59:59
Posted by Cornish Jack on 09/08/2021 21:08:10:

Bazyle - thank you for the response.

Not sure that all link suggestions should carry a synopsis to avoid wasting member's valuable time - personally, I assess these sorts if things quite quickly and go elsewhere if interest fails ... different folks, different strokes, I suppose.

rgds

Bill

I, too, would prefer to know what is in the bag I am being invited to put my head in, particularly when the thread title gives minimal information.

Thread: Use Chequer (Tread) Plate as Roofing Sheet?
05/08/2021 16:55:45

I tried an alternative to felt called Liquid Rubber, an experiment which turned out badly; a shame because the idea of just "painting" on the necessary waterproof membrane (complete with detailing) is an attractive one.

Thread: Custom Thread Sizes
05/08/2021 10:33:46

If you screwcut the leadscrew you will need to deploy a travelling steady.

Thread: equation editor
04/08/2021 14:37:55

Have you tried the LO forum?

Thread: Oily/greasy surface on a new V belt
04/08/2021 14:36:29

Is it perhaps belt dressing as opposed to oil or grease ie might it be positively beneficial?

Thread: Drill powered nibblers - buying advice sought.
01/08/2021 15:28:24

The OP's CaNibble link shows the tool mounted upside down with the [female] operator using gloves but no eye protection.

Incidentally, the Monodex type shear, which produces a c 3mm wide waste strip, works well for shallow curves in thin material.

Thread: ACME taps and Dies
01/08/2021 15:12:17
Posted by Clive Foster on 31/07/2021 19:41:28:

ACME taps need to be end loaded during tapping to avoid building in backlash. The cutting forces are so large that it is very hard for the tap to screw itself through at the proper feed rate so it tends to skim cut on the back side. By the time all is sorted out and the tap fed right through to produce a full depth thread the cut is a little oversize producing backlash.

End loading reduces the feed forces so helps keep the cut to size. Push too hard tho' and you will probably skim cut off the front!

Using them to get dead on size results is something of an art form.

Tapping coarse Vee threads is pretty much as bad but a little excess backlash can be accommodated.

Clive

In another thread I described tapping a 1/2" x 10TPI acme thread in the cast iron body of a drill vice. This was done with the work set up on the lathe cross slide and the tap gripped in an ER collet; the lathe was then set to cut 10 TPI and the thread produced very slowly under power. See at the end of:

https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=139687

The result in this admittedly non-critical application is seemingly free from backlash.

Thread: 'Puter upgrade recommendations
28/07/2021 14:43:18
Posted by pgk pgk on 28/07/2021 11:56:35:

How old is elderly? SSD's will slow down over time and more when getting full. It may be worth clearing out old junk to free up space, defragment and run the usual utilities to clear any lurking viruses, cookies etc and tidy up the registry before enhancing hardware.

pgk

I thought defragging SSD is usually not necessary or desirable.

Thread: Rebuilding car trailer and welding/bolting galvanized frame
27/07/2021 11:09:33
Posted by AJAX on 27/07/2021 11:05:57:
Posted by ega on 27/07/2021 09:40:14:

Has the use of a suitable mask as a precaution against fumes been mentioned?

I think a mask to the FFP3 standard would be suitable.

I don't think that would help, would it? I have FFP3 masks and filters for particulates and vapours, but they won't filter the gas.

Perhaps that's why no one mentioned it!

Someone on here must know?

27/07/2021 09:40:14

Has the use of a suitable mask as a precaution against fumes been mentioned?

I think a mask to the FFP3 standard would be suitable.

Thread: You could not make it up ! [Olympic Cycling]
26/07/2021 17:24:06

Bill Phinn:

Inevitably, such tragic incidents affect one's view; it seems to be the case, however, that there is a "critical mass effect" such that when cyclists become more numerous then lorry drivers and other road users become more aware and respectful of them.

It is, of course, up to cyclists to ride safely, too.

26/07/2021 15:22:28

There was a comment on YouTube to the effect that the solo winner, who is the Austrian time trial champion, is not good at riding in the bunch and therefore chose to attack alone from the outset. Oddly enough, this seems to have been a triumph of brain over brawn!

Students of UK cycle sport will know that solo time trial racing was the norm until a breakaway group organized so-called massed start racing.

26/07/2021 14:42:07

Bill Phinn:

Thanks for enlightening me. If Peleton gets people on to "real" bikes then I suppose there is something to be said for it.

Edited By ega on 26/07/2021 14:42:46

Thread: Myford Gear Spacers
26/07/2021 11:18:09

Ignatz:

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

When I made the corresponding bits for my metric conversion set I think I must have parted them off from bar having first drilled an offset hole to clear the key and bored the ID, the result being not as pretty as yours.

Thread: You could not make it up ! [Olympic Cycling]
26/07/2021 11:07:04
Posted by Nicholas Farr on 26/07/2021 10:50:11:

Hi Peter, Peloton I don't know much about either, but I don't have much interest in sports and I'll not be sorry when the Olympics have finished, it's taken over too much mainstream TV, what with the footie and the tennis already.

Regards Nick.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 26/07/2021 10:55:06

A good explanation, which makes it all the more surprising that the fashionable (solo) exercise bike is so named.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
walker midge
emcomachinetools
Warco
Dreweatts
JD Metals
rapid Direct
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest