By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for ega

Here is a list of all the postings ega has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Perfecto 5 hand shaper
18/06/2020 14:35:08

Mark Knight 3:

Your latest photo incidentally shows the clapper box construction; a neat solution to the problem of making an accurate square hole. I assume the slot is sized so that a standard tool bit is just gripped by the bolted-on strap.

I think the answer to NDIY's point about the pivot point of the clapper box is that given the overall dimensions of the parts it would be difficult or impossible to have the tool point trail the pivot.

Thread: Jacobs morse taper chuck.
18/06/2020 13:41:35

Most of mine are drilled through and tapped for a jack off screw. Obviously, you have to have done this in advance!

18/06/2020 12:52:31

Mark Knight 3:

No joy thus far in locating the Perfecto ball handle; if it turns up I'll post again.

I did find the Myford slide from which I co-opted the handle in my photo and confirmed my recollection that the central thread is 1/4" BSF (not shown in the drawing?).

GHT also provided guidance about ball sizes/proportions in his Workshop Manual. I would guess that the originals were done rapidly and skilfully by hand turning.

18/06/2020 10:48:14

Mark Knight 3:

I'll try to find it. If I'm unsuccessful you have that excellent drawing.

Thread: White wheel for bench grinder ?
18/06/2020 10:42:31
Posted by Bo'sun on 18/06/2020 09:26:02:

Hi,

Don't forget, a smaller diameter wheel will result in a more concaved profile on your cutting tools.

True, but you could consider fitting a depressed centre wheel intended for grinding on its side.

Incidentally, I have found a Tyrolit A220 CBN dressing stick useful for dressing resin-bonded wheels.

Thread: DRO kit for Myford S7 from Machine DRO
17/06/2020 23:12:02

Cornish Jack:

Shortly before a relative of mine retired from industry his employers sent him on a basket weaving course; you seem to be doing rather better!

Thread: White wheel for bench grinder ?
17/06/2020 23:06:34

Thor may be running his diamond wheel at a slower, more suitable speed, than that of a typical high speed bench grinder.

17/06/2020 23:01:58

Mark Knight 3:

I have the powered version and am in the process of setting it up on a stand:

dscn1827.jpg

Some time ago I replaced the original tool slide handle with a Myford ML7 type which I thought was better-looking than the original; I also made a new end bracket.

If you decide not to make your own you will be welcome to the original if I can find it.

PS Your clapper box looks as if it might be fabricated as opposed to broached?

Edited By ega on 17/06/2020 23:03:10

Thread: Tail stock spindle out of line .
17/06/2020 22:52:02

Thanks, Windy.

My only experience of moly is of the liquid variety which was very effective in silencing a noisy Sunbeam Mk III gearbox.

17/06/2020 14:08:06

Windy:

Does the moly combine in some way with the treated metal?

Myfords changed the design of the Super Seven tailstock to avoid this lift problem.

Thread: Concrete Garages, Shelving and Catastrophe
17/06/2020 14:04:38

Sam Longley 1:

Your post about Bison was very interesting to me. I owned a couple of these many years ago and installed a bench across the end of one supported on timbers bolted through the concrete panels. It seems that I was lucky not to have any problems of the kind you describe.

IIRC, these garages were normally available as singles but they could be lengthened by the addition of the modular panels which meant that there could be room for a small car and a modest workspace.

Thread: Tail stock spindle out of line .
17/06/2020 11:26:20
Posted by larry phelan 1 on 17/06/2020 10:07:59:

perhaps if the tailstock was split and clamped it might work better.indecision

A pet hate of Tony at lathes.co.uk but I see what you mean!

Thread: Boring swarf
16/06/2020 16:56:23

I have fitted one of JAR's devices to the spindle tail on the Myford which has the incidental benefit of clearing the swarf. The device itself is intended to allow long stock to be turned whilst projecting from the spindle tail, a practice which I imagine can otherwise be just as interesting as flying pipe!

16/06/2020 14:07:06

It's desirable to ensure that the swarf emerging from the tail of the spindle does not affect the change gears. Some plug the spindle behind the chuck but this probably gets more swarf into the chuck.

Thread: POWER SAW PROBLEM
14/06/2020 22:34:40

Brian Wood:

I had in mind:

**LINK**

Thread: Wooden Gears
14/06/2020 16:24:54

In his delightful book, The Village Carpenter, Walter Rose describes the process of re-cogging a mill wheel for which "hard dry beech" was used. The wooden cogs ran against cast iron gear teeth and the mesh of the finished job was checked by ear.

PS Palo Santo is similar to LV.

Edited By ega on 14/06/2020 16:27:31

Thread: POWER SAW PROBLEM
14/06/2020 11:10:24

Posted by Brian Wood on 13/06/2020 18:59:25:

...so that the guide nearest the power wheel in particular steered the wire into the 'notch' on the rim for want of a better description...

Am I right in thinking that the notch is the flange?

Worth mentioning that you covered this procedure in detail in an earlier thread.

13/06/2020 18:15:28

These saws can be persuaded to cut true but they are essentially not precision machines.

Since yours used to be OK it may be that when the bearings were changed the correct adjustment was lost.

I set the tension on my vintage Warco by winding it to the point where the blade does not slip on the wheels.

PS Lots of advice in previous posts.

Edited By ega on 13/06/2020 18:16:01

Thread: Myford ML4 leadscrew dials
11/06/2020 11:01:00

Twelfths:

Is there an indirect link with pounds, shillings and pence?

Twelve is a useful number for dividing purposes.

Thread: Parting off
10/06/2020 23:24:01

Clive Foster:

Thanks for taking the trouble to explain this - I suppose it's an example of the maxim "everything is made of rubber".

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest