By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for ega

Here is a list of all the postings ega has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Fitting a Drill Chuck Confusion
05/05/2021 21:10:40

I recently commissioned a keyless chuck with B16 taper hole in back, was struck by how far the thick end of the taper arbor projected from the chuck so went to the trouble of turning my own arbor.

The point is apparent from the OP's photo.

Thread: Harrison L5A tool post mod
05/05/2021 21:03:11

Norm:

GHT's tests were on two of his own four way indexing tool posts and, for comparison, on the Myford ditto: four tenths for the "worse" GHT and twelve tenths for the Myford.

GHT's test job (in brass) involved both cross slide movements and tool swaps but, of course, the latter would not be prone to chip contamination. Details in his articles from ME or his Workshop Manual.

One of his reasons for favouring the four way was that he professed never to have met any QCTP user with more than four tool holders; I gather that there are some today with ten times that number!

Thread: Ropey Radio Reception?
05/05/2021 20:46:22

Here is the leaflet - HIH!

cci_000009.jpgcci_000010.jpg

05/05/2021 17:17:59

Nigel Graham 2:

This topic is outside my knowledge but I have a vintage leaflet from the Aerial Manufacturers Association entitled The Enthusiast's Guide to FM Radio Reception which I could send you.

Thread: Harrison L5A tool post mod
05/05/2021 11:09:24
Posted by norm norton on 04/05/2021 10:08:25:

Frank,

It is going to be expensive getting a large number of QC tool holders.

I have some twenty tools lined up on a shelf above my Harrison 140, each sitting on their own packing piece, specifically milled for height for that tool (sorry, I realise you don't have a mill). OK, took me a day to do them all but now that's it, and very low cost. That four sided head is a delight to use and quicker to swap between four tools than QC holders. The indexing balls under my tool post work very well and if I rotate from one tool back to my DRO set facing cutter it is typically within a thou of the correct diameter - about the same as QC tool swaps.

Norm

A refreshing change to find a champion of the indexed four way toolpost as opposed to the pick-off QCTP!

At the end of GHT's description of his tool posts for the Myford he set out the results of a series of tests for repeatability showing a maximum deviation of about four tenths of a thou.

Thread: Reading glasses - frosted area
04/05/2021 10:55:32

What about the coating, if any?

Thread: Boring 16mm hole in stainless bar
03/05/2021 23:42:28

Twf:

I don't know CT90 but it sounds good.

Plus one for Hopper's speed point - I actually wondered if you meant the reference to back gear.

Another point is that some suggest a pilot drill no bigger than the chisel point on the final size drill and no intermediate drills if the machine will stand it; this is said to be kinder to the flutes of the larger drill particularly if it is carbon as opposed to HSS (or cobalt).

If you are going to drill rather than bore the ideal would be a three flute core drill (a suitable boring bar would be cheaper and more versatile).

03/05/2021 22:46:57

Twf:

I take it you are using a suitable cutting oil?

I would expect to be able to cut 316 with "ordinary" HSS and doubt that cobalt is essential.

Thread: Quick step mill
02/05/2021 11:08:17

jwb:

Thank you for your helpful further comments. I admit I had failed to note that the instructions do say to invert the machine.

To quote from the promotional colour leaflet "In 1991 a version of the Quick Step Mill, designed for the larger lathe, won the top award in a design competition organised by the Worshipful Company of Turners. This machine created a demand for a smaller version suitable for the 3 1/2" centre lathe and for those lathes not equipped with a quick change toolpost."

There was some information about the QSM in MEW for October 1998.

01/05/2021 15:04:09

Posted by jwb on 01/05/2021 13:15:18:...

If the gearbox is filled to the plug level with the machine upright there will be far too much oil in the gearbox.

This is a first-class bit of kit, with its own built-in vertical slide. My only objection is that its weight being well forward tends to bind the cross-slide dovetails.

Do you mean that the oil level should be checked with the spindle horizontal and the body upright?

The prize-winning forerunner to the QSM was, I believe, a larger and heavier machine.

01/05/2021 10:54:24

This point has been raised before here - do a top right of page search for quick step.

I *think* the filler plug is the hex screw above and to the right of the pulley from the gearbox. Please post when you find the answer!

Thread: Portable vice - buying advice sought
28/04/2021 17:18:44

The Zylis would satisfy some of your criteria.

Thread: Finding a penknife
28/04/2021 17:15:34

Might the stainless knife nonetheless be magnetic and could it be fished out with a magnet on a string?

Victorinox used to do a knife like the one you describe ie not a "swami".

Thread: Bygone Trader Catalogues
28/04/2021 14:44:13

Swarf, Mostly!:

Some nostalgic stuff!

I have Buck & Hickman's 1964 tome (1200 plus pages) and Parrys' catalogue from about the same time. Here is your Coronet from the latter with part of the facing page showing the traditional interior at Old Street:

coronet.jpg

I don't know the detail of the B&R/B&H story but believe there were two Buck brothers. I think there was something of A Tyzack family as well.

The Coronet lathes/woodworkers were noted for their tapered bronze headstock bearings

28/04/2021 10:47:31

One often sees the typical tradesman's weekly wage used as an indicator of price. How many weeks did you have to work for in 1964 in order to buy a Super 7, I wonder?

In 1939, B&R had premises in both the Euston and Edgware Roads; another nearby attraction was Proops (I don't know if they ever produced a catalogue of their fascinating stock).

Thread: Hare Hydraulic Press, anyone?
27/04/2021 18:42:57

Presumably, hydroforming tubing, etc uses the same principle.

Thread: Bygone Trader Catalogues
27/04/2021 09:53:29

May I offer this from a 1939 Tom Senior catalogue (Liversedge not Liverpool)?

As they say, make sure you are sitting down before checking the price!

tomsenior30cc.jpg

Thread: Observations on mangling a DRO scale
26/04/2021 16:31:34

I'm fairly sure I managed to drill a couple of these with a cobalt drill.

Thread: Screwcutting on WM180
26/04/2021 13:56:23

PS The classic SB book How to Run a Lathe 1942 edition says that " in manufacturing plants, where maximum production is desired, it is customary to place the compound rest of the lathe at an angle of 29 degrees for cutting screw threads."

26/04/2021 11:59:11
Posted by Bo'sun on 21/04/2021 13:26:03:

Is this thread cutting with the compound slide at an angle a new thing? In 1972, I served a toolmaking apprenticeship with a well known car company, and no mention of it then. I think there may be some benefit with larger pitch threads, but that's about it.

In his 1951 ME Lathe Manual ETW says that swivelling the top slide is "usual"; he no doubt had in mind the class of lathe used by the hobbyist of the day and either carbon steel or HSS tools.

The same work shows a 6TPI Acme thread being cut "straight in" but the text recommends narrowing the tool to allow for side to side adjustment of the cut when full depth has been reached.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
JD Metals
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest