By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for ega

Here is a list of all the postings ega has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Strange result from the forum search ...
23/05/2021 10:03:54

MichaelG:

Next time, start with DuckDuckGo!

Thread: Bench (tool) grinder
22/05/2021 22:34:31

A question that has been aired before: would a diamond wheel be suitable for dry high speed grinding of steel?

Edited By ega on 22/05/2021 22:39:23

Thread: Joe's Rocket
22/05/2021 16:14:08

It's a real joy when a young person of any sex takes an interest in making something with their hands.

Now is the time to instil good habits in the workshop!

Thread: Bench (tool) grinder
22/05/2021 16:08:53

It's the table from EE's Acute grinding system; wheel is CBN, I believe.

Ask Gary for more information.

Thread: Couple of things at Lidl
18/05/2021 16:27:56
Posted by Nicholas Farr on 18/05/2021 10:53:49:

...The old 4" Wolf one, just has a flatish slide on / off switch on the back end of it, just above where the flex enters.

I have one of those - still going strong on its second set of brushes from new. Switching off is a deliberate, two-handed operation.

Have you re-packed the gearbox on yours and, if so, what grease do you recommend?

Thread: Recycling of Wind Turbine Blades
17/05/2021 10:51:55

Well, I swan!

The Danes continue to punch above their weight.

Thread: Shortening HSS drills
16/05/2021 11:08:48

I had some old style square taper shank drills with a brazed-on taper.

I guess they never slipped in the chuck!

16/05/2021 11:05:29

Thanks to Hopper for answering my original query.

I enjoyed the video (and not having to search for it!); there were more processes than I would have imagined. "Amanda" made the distinction between rolled and fully-ground bits; perhaps the latter are butt welded?

Presumably very many HSS drills are re-cycled and it occurred to me that the all-HSS variety might be easier to deal with.

Thread: Open Technology Lathe Idea
15/05/2021 11:38:50

Is there any reason why the OP should not give sufficient clues/tags to allow the video to be found?

Thread: Shortening HSS drills
15/05/2021 09:59:44
Posted by Hopper on 15/05/2021 08:48:58:...
the soft shank is drill rod, aka silver steel, or the like whereas the hardened fluted part is HSS.

I admit to being surprised by this - how would the manufacturer vary the composition of the steel as between the soft shank and the hard flutes?

Thread: Myford Super 7 lathe upgrade to 3 phase
14/05/2021 16:59:12

NT no doubt source their motors where they can but the Australian motor that came with my NT kit has an end cover over the fan which does a good job of keeping the swarf at bay.

13/05/2021 16:42:12

I am very happy with my NT installation which I have had for some years.

Since I started cautiously exploiting the Reverse feature, however, I have become aware of the danger of leaving the two way switch on Reverse - a sure way to destroy an insert if you forget to switch back to Forward. Twice bitten, I have now contrived a warning notice for the clutch lever:

dscn1987.jpg

I use Reverse in conjunction with the Jog feature for rapidly removing taps and dies and for screw cutting away from a shoulder. I haven't had the well known problem of the chuck unscrewing unintentionally but I have converted one chuck for a retaining drawbar.

Thread: Morse : “Telegraph Signs”
11/05/2021 22:10:12

Thank you! Bang on my current area of interest.

Thread: T Handle Allen Key Sets
09/05/2021 10:04:59
Posted by Dr. MC Black on 08/05/2021 19:02:04:
Posted by Bill Phinn on 08/05/2021 18:44:27:
Posted by ega on 08/05/2021 18:29:12:

Can you comment?

I suspect MC is talking about the type of T handle wrench that has only one business end, i.e. at the foot of the T. Presumably these do not always have the short arm of an ordinary allen wrench hiding somewhat redundantly inside the plastic handle.

Come to think of it, if I'm right, I'd be interested to know what they do have.

Edited By Bill Phinn on 08/05/2021 18:49:10

I think they must have had a metal shank inside a moulded plastic handle but they were returned to the company and I did not take any apart to investigate the construction.

The set currently offered have the "short end" poking out of the handle so presumably have an Allan key hidden inside the plastic.

MC

Thank you both.

Clearly, there is more than one way to make these; the screwdriver type, which I favour for light work, obviously has the shank moulded into the handle and, of course, no short leg. I have one or two vintage Unbrako brand tees with forged handles and the shank located by a set screw in a hex recess in the forging; not pretty but they are strong.

For a cheap, simple tool however the standard Allen key takes some beating.

08/05/2021 18:29:12
Posted by Dr. MC Black on 08/05/2021 17:45:40:

I had a set of T-handled Hex Wrenches from a local firm in Standon (which has now closed its Trade Counter and only supplies by Mail Order).

I found that one of the handles turned but NOT the hex shaft - so I took it back where it was refubded without argument.

I admit to being surprised by this unfortunate experience as my impression was that these "tee handled" tools are essentially ordinary Allen wrenches wrapped in a plastic tee-shaped handle so that the hex shaft is obliged to turn with the handle.

Can you comment?

Thread: DTI contact points
08/05/2021 10:43:57

A nostalgic note: years ago I had a conversation with the Verdict rep at a show as a result of which he sent me a couple of these FOC including the useful elephant's foot.

A good lens and white card background will help with failing eyesight or, like Dan Gelbart on YT, you can use a camera and monitor.

Edited By ega on 08/05/2021 10:59:09

Thread: T Handle Allen Key Sets
08/05/2021 10:38:45

I like the Bondhus ball-ended drivers.

Vintage Unbrako seem good quality.

Thread: Disposing of Gas Cylinders?
07/05/2021 20:14:54

DC31K:

Thank you.

I gather from Wiki that the MAPP story is a bit complicated.

07/05/2021 16:13:08

Is that gas mixture - see Screwfix website - hotter than the ordinary Calor propane?

Thread: Holders to use the obtuse corners of C* inserts.
07/05/2021 12:04:30

The Glanze holders I bought from Axminster came with this card:

glanze_edited-1.jpg

SCBCR and SCKCR use the 100 deg corner.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
JD Metals
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest