By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for ega

Here is a list of all the postings ega has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Quick bolt Reserve Factor Calculator
20/09/2020 11:17:43

Richard:

Someone (whose name I don't remember) said that his life's ambition was to write a piece of software that would benefit others, and put it into the public domain.

Thread: KITS
18/09/2020 12:42:56
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 25/08/2020 19:57:47:

I think in an auction it's the offer to purchase that is binding rather than the offer to sell. That's why you can have a reserve and also why a seller can sometimes choose not to sell to highest bidder or even back out completely.

Neil

I have noticed that when an auction property fails to sell the highest (unsuccessful) bidder is often invited to negotiate separately for it.

Thread: Ideal Guillotine
18/09/2020 11:01:37

Ian Parkin:

Excellent video; I winced a bit when the operator's fingers went near the line of cut!

17/09/2020 00:15:22
Posted by Peter Bell on 16/09/2020 12:47:59:

The knife has a straight edge, Ive only ever seen straight ones. The knife moves doesn't downwards in a straight line but moves side ways as it descends and cuts.

Peter

Thank you. The movement you describe would seem to give a progressive, slicing cut - clever stuff!

16/09/2020 10:20:46

Do these blades have a straight cutting edge?

A slight curve might help with the cut but would perhaps be more difficult to sharpen.

Thread: Use of 2 front wheeled motorcycles on the TdeF
15/09/2020 10:53:34

Wasn't there a downpour on stage 1?

This edition has also included stretches of gravel and cobbles.

Thread: Facing parallel between centres.
13/09/2020 17:10:00

Could a riser with a small out of parallel actually be used to correct an inaccurate machine?

Thread: Mystery Object ... This one has me beat
13/09/2020 17:05:20

MichaelG:

Thanks for those very informative benchmark links; the world has moved on.

Given that here are 500,000 of them mainly in built up areas it is, on reflection, hardly surprising that the smaller scale OS maps don't show them.

I am not now entirely clear as to whether your mystery object has been conclusively identified?

13/09/2020 09:53:09
Posted by Clive Hartland on 12/09/2020 14:11:14:

Re. bench marks. there are a lot of them around here in Medway. Chatham and Gillingham.

Interesting information about my own local area.

I had thought that benchmarks were shown on on the OS map but so far as I can see the nearest thing is the "triangulation" point.

Thread: Strength of Beams
10/09/2020 23:47:40
Posted by duncan webster on 10/09/2020 23:37:41:

As others have said this gets fairly complicated fairly quickly. Basically you want to get the section as tall and thin as possible but if you overdo it you get buckling. A very good book for starters is Structures or Why Things Don't Fall Down by a chap called Gordon. He has a companion volume called The New Science of Strong Materials.

Torsion of non circular sections, especially things that don't resemble bars or tubes gets even more complicated

The latter of these good books is sub-titled "Why You Don't Fall Through the Floor".

Thread: Change gear alternative material
10/09/2020 18:43:22

I have found Nylatron to be suitable.

Thread: Strength of Beams
10/09/2020 11:09:25

The I girder can be modified to become a castellated beam yielding greater depth and stiffness for the same or slightly less weight.

Thread: Surfaces of Platonic Solids
08/09/2020 17:04:40
Posted by OldMetaller on 08/09/2020 13:19:13:
Posted by ega on 08/09/2020 11:17:20:

I like a good doughnut and was interested to see that even rational folk like mathematicians get tattoos!

(Did you know it means "return to quarters"?)

Have you been doing the Guardian crossword?! The tattoo/return to quarters thing cropped up as a clue a day or two ago; I didn't know that!

John.

Nor did I until I did the crossword!

08/09/2020 11:17:20

I like a good doughnut and was interested to see that even rational folk like mathematicians get tattoos!

(Did you know it means "return to quarters"?)

Thread: J A Radford; Improvements and Accessories For Your Lathe
07/09/2020 14:39:29

Alan Johnson 7:

As you may know, he lived in Diamond Harbour, New Zealand and died some time after 1972. I do not know if there is in fact a grave.

I have made a number of his "Improvements and Accessories" and I agree with your judgment of him.

Good luck with your proposed pilgrimage.

Thread: Myford Bull Wheel Indexing
04/09/2020 21:25:31

Some excellent ideas here for quick and simple indexing. Here is my GHT-inspired solution for indexing work in the ER chuck:

dscn1447.jpg

I have the HDA but it is slower to set up and the detent shown can remain in position when turning continues.

Thread: Flycutting on the speed 10
01/09/2020 12:14:51
Posted by jon hill 3 on 01/09/2020 11:02:18:

Hi Paul

The morse taper flycutter does have a tapped hole to for a draw bar to go through the spindle, however the lathe is positioned very tightly in the corner with not enough wall space to put a draw bar from the back. It may be possible to fit the draw bar first through the front.

I shall have to give this a try, the alternative of repositioning the lathe doesn't sound very appealing. I still havent got round to checking the level of the lathe or turning test bars.

Would it be necessary to move the lathe to change the gears? If so, a bullet worth biting.

Thread: Bows and arrows
26/08/2020 08:46:59

I can't tell you his or her name but the Short Oxford Dictionary of Technology says that "the first unequivocal representation of [the bow] dating from later Palaeolithic times, is from North Africa."

Thread: Lathe installation
25/08/2020 11:34:37

My woodworking bandsaw has a rather narrow base and rather than bolt it down I opted to stay it to the adjoining wall via a simple bracket attached to the top of the machine.

I have always thought that the standard Myford stand was too narrow (the industrial one may be better in this regard).

Thread: Wooden Gears
22/08/2020 14:19:55
Posted by pgk pgk on 22/08/2020 12:48:16:
Posted by ega on 22/08/2020 10:52:38:

The pie segments approach would also serve for a wooden pulley.

Pine resin: is the YouTuber right to call it epoxy?

Epoxy is probably millenial-speak for glue crying

pgk

A "respectful" virtual elbow bump to you for being in touch with youth!

The dictionary says "synthetic" resin but does that preclude epoxy resin from occurring in nature?

I am reminded that petrified resin becomes amber which is not unlike a blob of cured Araldite.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
EngineDIY
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest