By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for ega

Here is a list of all the postings ega has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Views Inside the Sieg Factory in Shanghai
23/01/2021 14:35:47

Very interesting. Do they have their own foundry?

I have sometimes wondered whether the common misnomer, SEIG, translates to something in Chinese and, if so, what.

Thread: How to Search for Text Inside Multiple PDF Files at Once
21/01/2021 10:18:27

Peter Greene:

Thanks for the link and for using a thread title that should make it possible to find it again!

Thread: FREE PLAN: A Clutch for the ML7 Lathe
20/01/2021 11:01:44
Posted by Oldiron on 19/01/2021 18:12:20:

Here is anothe clutch idea for the Myford lathe. MYFORD CLUTCH Not my idea of a safe & properly disengaged device but appears to work after a fashion. WARNING turn your sound down a touch as it sounds like a bucket of nails.

regards

I enjoyed the video.

The main cause of the noise seems to be the link belt despite its having been "lightly sanded with an angle grinder".

19/01/2021 11:41:55

The leather-lined clutch is reminiscent of early motor car design. I wonder if the pioneers had a quick fix for slipping.

Thread: Some quite astonishing ‘metal bashing’
19/01/2021 11:38:18

MichaelG:

Thanks for the link to this amazing work of art.

I suppose there must be an internal support, or armature, but I couldn't see any sign of one which makes it all the more remarkable.

Lions, of course, are not vegans!

Thread: Silver Soldering Materials
16/01/2021 12:36:16

Keith Hale:

Great stuff!

Did the Incas have a correspondingly poetic phrase for gold?

Thread: Disposable Gas Bottles
16/01/2021 12:30:19

May I add a query about a different kind of pressurised vessel?

I have had a number of gas lift office chairs over the years and have occasionally wondered about the warning their gas cylinders carry not to dismantle or open. In my experience these fail gradually and I assume this is through leakage; would it be safe to adopt the advice to cut them open so as to be able to dispose?

Thread: Silver Soldering Materials
16/01/2021 10:05:12
Posted by Paul Lousick on 16/01/2021 05:14:04:

The size of the burner and gas will depend on the size of the job. A butane torch burns at about 1315 deg C and Propane about 1980 deg C.

The grade of silver solder will depend on the strength of the joint that you want to achieve. The higer the percentage of silver in the alloy, the higher the strength, melting point and price. (you are buying silver)

The lower grades of silver solder that plumbers use can be purchased at your local hardware store but for the higher grades you may have to go to a welding supplier.

Paul

Good to have the numbers for propane and butane.

Do plumbers really use silver solder? Possibly as a consequence of the ban on lead?

Thread: Boring bar size ?
15/01/2021 11:11:47
Posted by duncan webster on 14/01/2021 22:25:06:
Posted by Nigel McBurney 1 on 12/01/2021 11:49:01:

For boring a carb out a couple of mm,I woud make a boring bar from 19 (3/4 inch) mm dia silver steel and use a high speed steel tool bit with a lot of rake .........

Why silver steel? Strength is not likely to be an issue, and silver steel is no stiffer than mild steel.

GHT was asked this question about his similar design; his reply, IIRC, was that silver steel was harder and more likely to be true to nominal size.

Thread: Is there an easy way to make lots of scale model seats?
14/01/2021 14:21:58

In former times such items could have been made by machining a strip of wood or other suitable material to a cross section to match the profile of the item; they would then be cut off to length and finished.

The animals in "Noah's Arks" were made in a similar way, the blank sometimes being turned to section in the lathe.

Thread: Mini lathe feed
13/01/2021 17:18:44
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 13/01/2021 12:36:42:

When engaged the wheel won't work and vice-versa.

The half nuts are adjustable in several ways, there is also a hidden grub screw that controls how closely they mesh (Incidentally Ian Bradley suggested such a screw as an upgrade for the S7).

Neil

I believe Martin Cleeve made the same suggestion.

Thread: 'jerryrigeverything'
11/01/2021 15:04:24

Bob Stevenson:

Thanks - noted for future viewing.

I'm more familiar with either jury rig or jerry built!

Thread: Early publications
10/01/2021 18:17:53

Did you try searching for "me index" at top right of the page?

Thread: New member
10/01/2021 18:05:53

By way of encouragement, I think that the workshop described in Neville Shute's Trustee from the Toolroom was long and narrow.

Before installing valuable machinery one would want to attend to security, insulation, wiring, etc.

Thread: Mill base?
07/01/2021 11:14:26

I think I see a Quorn shyly nestling behind the mill in Ramon Wilson's photo above. If he built it then I suppose it goes to show that model makers can also be toolmakers and it reminds me that Denis Chaddock was criticised for calling his creation "Universal".

Thread: Aging rubber and plastic
06/01/2021 23:12:56
Posted by duncan webster on 06/01/2021 16:59:05:

It's not just me that think Clark's shoes have gone down in quality then, Latest pair the soles are dropping off and the shoe mender chap reckons the underneath is perished and so can't be mended. Trouble is if you have wide feet there's not much else to choose.

Given this unfortunate situation, I have considered going back to ecco or trying Baer; however, the replacement Clarks pair (see my earlier post) in H wide fitting seem to be holding up so never say "never again"!

Thread: A finished project - at last!
05/01/2021 11:22:24

PS I think that the illustration on page 31 of AT's Vertical Milling in the Home Workshop (WPS2) may show the machining of the flywheel.

05/01/2021 11:14:57

What is the history of that oversize saddle hand wheel on the Myford, please?

Thread: trapezoidal rod + leadscrews
04/01/2021 11:11:32

Has anyone done this to a Myford Seven and, if so, how did they replace the half nuts?

Thread: "How was your shipping experience" email scam
02/01/2021 16:38:02

I take the point about guarding one's date of birth and note the idea of having an "official" birthday (like the Queen) but if data-pooling became the norm the latter could be problematic.

I see no harm, however, in acknowledging being over twenty-one or even more provided a precise date is not needed.

The NHS blithely rely on your name and DOB for identification.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
EngineDIY
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest