By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for ega

Here is a list of all the postings ega has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: 'Puter upgrade recommendations
28/07/2021 14:43:18
Posted by pgk pgk on 28/07/2021 11:56:35:

How old is elderly? SSD's will slow down over time and more when getting full. It may be worth clearing out old junk to free up space, defragment and run the usual utilities to clear any lurking viruses, cookies etc and tidy up the registry before enhancing hardware.

pgk

I thought defragging SSD is usually not necessary or desirable.

Thread: Rebuilding car trailer and welding/bolting galvanized frame
27/07/2021 11:09:33
Posted by AJAX on 27/07/2021 11:05:57:
Posted by ega on 27/07/2021 09:40:14:

Has the use of a suitable mask as a precaution against fumes been mentioned?

I think a mask to the FFP3 standard would be suitable.

I don't think that would help, would it? I have FFP3 masks and filters for particulates and vapours, but they won't filter the gas.

Perhaps that's why no one mentioned it!

Someone on here must know?

27/07/2021 09:40:14

Has the use of a suitable mask as a precaution against fumes been mentioned?

I think a mask to the FFP3 standard would be suitable.

Thread: You could not make it up ! [Olympic Cycling]
26/07/2021 17:24:06

Bill Phinn:

Inevitably, such tragic incidents affect one's view; it seems to be the case, however, that there is a "critical mass effect" such that when cyclists become more numerous then lorry drivers and other road users become more aware and respectful of them.

It is, of course, up to cyclists to ride safely, too.

26/07/2021 15:22:28

There was a comment on YouTube to the effect that the solo winner, who is the Austrian time trial champion, is not good at riding in the bunch and therefore chose to attack alone from the outset. Oddly enough, this seems to have been a triumph of brain over brawn!

Students of UK cycle sport will know that solo time trial racing was the norm until a breakaway group organized so-called massed start racing.

26/07/2021 14:42:07

Bill Phinn:

Thanks for enlightening me. If Peleton gets people on to "real" bikes then I suppose there is something to be said for it.

Edited By ega on 26/07/2021 14:42:46

Thread: Myford Gear Spacers
26/07/2021 11:18:09

Ignatz:

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

When I made the corresponding bits for my metric conversion set I think I must have parted them off from bar having first drilled an offset hole to clear the key and bored the ID, the result being not as pretty as yours.

Thread: You could not make it up ! [Olympic Cycling]
26/07/2021 11:07:04
Posted by Nicholas Farr on 26/07/2021 10:50:11:

Hi Peter, Peloton I don't know much about either, but I don't have much interest in sports and I'll not be sorry when the Olympics have finished, it's taken over too much mainstream TV, what with the footie and the tennis already.

Regards Nick.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 26/07/2021 10:55:06

A good explanation, which makes it all the more surprising that the fashionable (solo) exercise bike is so named.

Thread: Myford Gear Spacers
25/07/2021 21:34:18

So far as I can see, these spacers are not applicable to the gearbox model with its preset hardened steel gears but they are specified for the metric conversion set.

Ignatz: were yours made with a punch and die?

Thread: Royal Mail Tracking Numbers!
24/07/2021 14:39:45
Posted by JasonB on 23/07/2021 13:16:28:

Probably all the staff have been pinged

Pingu - to think that one little emperor penguin could cause so much bother!

Thread: Is there a chart for drill hole dia vs. boring bar size?
24/07/2021 14:33:16

I, for one, would like to see Clive's boring picture (and to know what MichaelG uses to do the conversion).

PS The OP would do well to read GHT on this topic generally.

Edited By ega on 24/07/2021 14:34:37

Thread: The beginnings of Mobile Telephony
23/07/2021 14:33:44

According to the New Oxford Spelling Dictionary, it's cellphone.

Handy in German seems to be an importation from English; no doubt they are more or less permanent extensions to the hand in both countries!

23/07/2021 11:01:44
Posted by Tim Hammond on 21/07/2021 19:03:01:

Here's a point for the pedants among us: in the early 2000's I was employed at the Southampton Goods Vehicle Testing Station and in the test hall were several notices informing the customers that the use of portable telephones was forbidden in the hall. Quite right really, as the instrument cannot move a millimetre by itself. Perhaps we should start using the American term "cellphone".

The French for mobile phone is "téléphone portable" or "portable " for short.

I'm surprised that the Americanism has not caught on here in the UK.

Thread: Hi everyone
20/07/2021 15:18:56

Ian Rabenda:

I'm afraid I can't help with the date of manufacture of your lathe - this is the kind of point that owners' groups are often good at, however. I notice that, unlike the Willson, the Elliott doesn't carry its serial number on the headstock chart but no doubt it is stamped on the bed, etc.

My impression is that, apart from the bed, the major components of our lathes are broadly similar. I have worked on most of these except for the headstock and might be able to help with your outstanding queries. Shame you didn't take more photos!

Thread: Bed stop clamp
20/07/2021 11:26:53

Not official or a bed clamp but this simple device has served me well for years:

dscn2018.jpg

dscn2019.jpg

The Super 7 gearbox prevents the even simpler solution shown in an earlier post. For the same reason, it is necessary to have a selection of stop rods of graduated lengths.

Thread: Hi everyone
19/07/2021 10:00:38

Ian Rabenda:

I have a Willson Mk I slantbed no 13582/906 and, like you, also invested in the manual from lathes.co.uk.

I think we are a minority on this forum; have you any experience of the ElliottMachineToolOwnwersGroup (sic)?

Thread: Back gear and bull wheel for myford ml7
17/07/2021 13:44:19

Sparey's idea can also be used for the Super 7.

Thread: Ml7 toolpost
14/07/2021 12:33:55

I have just measured the flange of a similar part at 0.8935" diameter. The flange is 0.220" thick.

I think these studs are a light press fit as standard but am doubtful about the idea of making it by "dead reckoning".

Thread: Tool post height
13/07/2021 11:06:49

Vic:

What is that beautiful finish?

Thread: Powder coating quality of finish
10/07/2021 18:16:48

Sam Spoons:

May we know the make of your magnesium frame, please?

I'm curious because I understand few makers have opted for this material.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
JD Metals
walker midge
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest