By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Dougie Swan

Here is a list of all the postings Dougie Swan has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Allchin outer wrapper
21/12/2020 13:44:43

Hi and thanks for the replies

I may have mislabelled the parts I bought as part built as only one of the tubeplates was silver soldered and it was scrap

I hope the pictures I have will upload okay

The wrapper is too long by 3/8 but the previous builder has cut the stay holes before reducing the size

I was thinking of cutting each side, removing the excess and but joining the sides back together

My other option is to buy a new copper sheet which will be in metric 2.5mm and make a new wrapper

Dougie

7img_20201221_131359.jpgimg_20201221_131239_burst003.jpgimg_20201221_131233.jpg

20/12/2020 16:06:12

Hi

I bought a pair of half built allchin boilers from the well known site

I have found, surprise surprise, that the outer wrappers are wrong

In a nutshell the stay holes have been drilled in the wrong place

But the wrappers are also too long so the problem could be fixed by cutting each side, removing the excess and re joining the sides back together which would bring everything back into line

This would mean a but joint either side with a strap on the insides

My question is will this be a safe way to fix it

Thanks in advance for any advice

Dougie

Thread: Incorrect email
24/11/2020 18:22:17

I've had similar problems with websites when using this phone

I will give it a go tomorrow from my laptop

Thanks Jason

24/11/2020 17:58:48

Thanks Jason

What does that mean though

Do I need a new email to take out a subscription

And thanks again for the help recently

Dougie

24/11/2020 16:12:43

Hi

Despite being a member and being able to login with my email I have been trying to take out a print subscription but the ghost in the machine insists my email is incorrect, it's not

What am I doing wrong

Dougie

Thread: Photo copies of articles
23/11/2020 19:51:36

Hi

Is it still possible to purchase photocopies of previous articles from the magazine

I used this service a long time ago and wondered if it was still available

Thanks

Dougie

Thread: Westbury wyvern / centaur
14/11/2020 12:53:31

Hi

I have a part built wyvern engine that is missing some of the castings, namely the valve levers and inlet /exhaust

As the centaur engine is a similar design in the head does anyone know if they are Interchangeable or can anyone help with the dimensions of these items?

Thanks

Dougie

Thread: Heinz kornmuller de dion engine
10/10/2020 19:56:41

Hi

I have recently started working on the castings for this engine

I bought them a long time ago from the designer in Austria

There are no construction details on the plans but I did get a CD with lots of pictures

I have come to the point where I am ready to machine the crankcase half's but there is no wat to hold them in either a 3 or 4 jaw chuck

The pics on the CD show all machining being done on a mill, the castings are almost to exact width as received with

0.2mm over finished width

My question is has anyone tackled one of these engines before and if so how did you go about machining the crankcase half's

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Dougie

Thread: CLASSIC MOTORS DE DION
26/09/2020 11:48:44

Hi

Some time ago I bought a set of castings for this engine from Heinz Kornmuller in Austria

The set came with a cd of photos and drawings

I am just about to start making the engine but the drawings are all in German with no translation, I also have an issue with the drawings not printing correctly, can anyone tell me where I can buy a set of these in English ?

Thanks

Dougie

Thread: primus blowtorch
24/09/2019 17:13:49

Hi, I have a primus blowtorch which has a blocked jet, I have tried to clear it with no joy, the jet is marked 07, I have searche the web but cant find any replacements. Can anyone here point me in the direction of anybody who might sell spares?

Thanks

Dougie

Thread: WIDE AWAKE
21/09/2019 10:17:18

Thanks Jason

Thats what I was looking for, I thought I saw refrence to it being in the magazine recently but must be mistaken

Thanks again

Dougie

21/09/2019 07:59:28

Hi, can anyone help with details of the issues containing these articles so I can order some photocopies ( is this service still available )

If not if anyone can copy them for me I will pay the costs

Thanks

Dougie

Thread: anealing piano wire
10/04/2019 18:45:51

Emgee

Your dremel suggestion was going to be my next option. I have a lot of clips that would work in a grove as you suggest but as this is an axle for a model aeroplane I'm worried about side forces moving the clip, my few experiments have shown a little side force can release the clip

Thanks for all the replies, i'm going to persist in trying to get it soft enough to drill

Thanks for the info on the manufacture of piano wire Clive, now it makes sense that my heat reatment has only limited succsess but with enough drills and enough time it wont beat me

Dougie

10/04/2019 16:42:51

I dont need to re harden it, its just at the ends for a split pin to hold the wheels on

I've ordered more drills !!

Dougie

10/04/2019 15:38:56

As the title says I need to anneal some piano wire to drill a 1/16" hole through it

Its 5/32" dia and I have tried heating to cherry red and holding it there for a bit then cooling slowly

This isnt having much effect, iI have blunted all of my drills so far

Any advice?

Dougie

Thread: heinz kornmuller classic engines website
06/01/2019 12:49:18

Hi

The website for classic engines has been "undergoing maintenance" for a while now

does anyone know if the casting sets are still for sale or is the business defunkt?

Dougie

Thread: gas fired minnie
03/07/2018 07:08:23

Hi

Has anyone built a gas fired minnie or know of anyone who has?

Dougie

Thread: sifbronze
28/06/2018 21:36:59

I have a lot of sifbronze, an upcoming project is a minnie engine

my question is this, is sifbronze suitable for the high temp first sections of a boiler?

thanks

dougie

Thread: three phase to single phase motor swap
01/06/2018 15:06:12

Thankyou for all the sensible replies/advice

I'm going to send me inverter back to drives direct to see if it can be repaired then take it from there

Thanks Again

Dougie

01/06/2018 13:26:04

What exactly does that mean?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Warco
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
walker midge
emcomachinetools
JD Metals
rapid Direct
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest