By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ketan Swali

Here is a list of all the postings Ketan Swali has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Mini-Lathe setup for an absolute beginner?
21/05/2019 16:58:31
Posted by James Bennet 1 on 21/05/2019 16:38:12:

> Ketan at ARC.

It's really nice to see sellers engaging with the community here. Excellent customer service! I will be in touch in 3 weeks once I get paid, to place an order

No worries James. Before making your purchase, If you call and speak with Ian, he will be able to answer all your questions for you.

Ketan at ARC.

21/05/2019 16:11:54
Posted by 34046 on 21/05/2019 15:56:14:

Is ArcEuroTrade legit?

!00 %

They have an excellent reputation , excellent customer service - I have the Sieg SC2 - well pleased

The proprietor is a member of this forum .

Bill

I hear he is legit cowboy Indian. teeth 2

Ketan at ARC.

Thread: Collet blocks
12/05/2019 12:01:58
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 12/05/2019 09:55:55:

Can't help with the payment problem. Many firms are reluctant to take cheques: they are untrustworthy and hideously expensive to process compared with an electronic transaction. I would much prefer not to have credit cards and internet banking because the electronic system is run by a bunch of slack Alices and poorly regulated. But it's so easy to use and so hard not to get sucked in. So far I've not had a problem...

Dave

Some 18 years ago, before 'e-commerce' , the active terminology was 'mail order'. A buyer would fill out an order form and send it to us with a chque. This is how most of our business was conducted. Over the years, with the growth of web sales, by 2016, very few customer were sending us cheques, say two to three cheques being received per month, most prefering to pay by debit/credit card through our website. At the same time, banks in our area closed, resulting in our driving further out to bank cheques. So we finally stopped accepting cheques by the end of 2016.

On the subject of e-payments, I discovered a new concept on my recent visit to China. Most of us are familier with WhatsApp and Apple Pay. the Chiese equivalent of WhatsApp is WeChat - more or less 'a good copy' of WhatsApp, but used by most Chinese. Whilst we all discuss e-pay security, the average person on the street in China used 'WeChat pay' to make payments for practically everything from taxi, grocery, local shops, hotel booking, paying on market stalls, parking, web purchase whatever you can think of, using QR codes. I was gobsmacked. they consider it to be a better and more accountable method of paying then using debit/credit cards, as they dont trust their banks to process the transaction in a timely manner. How secure the process is, is open to question, but if there are millions/maybe billions of users for the service, they probably have to get it right. Very little cash being handled.!

Ketan at ARC.

12/05/2019 11:40:10
Posted by XD 351 on 12/05/2019 10:33:33:

If Ausee has a link to ARC as they say they do then Ketan needs to take a look at some of the stuff they sell ! I got a set of Stevensons blocks from them that were ground with one face at a different height to the other block.,mine are metric and I don’t think the original Stevensons blocks were metric .

Ian.

Hi Ian,

Derek was referring to Stevensons collet bock/s, where as I believe that you are referring to Stevenson's Metric Blocks- 10-20-40 etc. The Stevenson's Metric Blocks are sold as work holding, predominantly used as a kind of low cost jig as JS intended for its use to be. Many of the imperial ones which were in the market place at the time of JS's metric creation failed to bolt together, and what was available was in imperial only. So, JS created METRIC ones, which really did bolt together using metric threads, geared mainly for metric users. It is true that some of the faces have minor differences in height. They are not sold as matched pair, as their main purpose is for use as just stated. However, I can see and understand your point of view, which had also been discussed with John when he was alive. At the time he was not overly concerned by this observation, suggesting that if this was an issue for the user, they could always modify as per their need. As he is not around to go into detail, this is a summary of his comments. However, to reduce the chances of this kind of comments arising, I had put a request in place in the factory that once these type of blocks are ground, the packer should try to pick two blocks in sequence, still packing them individually. Still, they will not be guaranteed to be a matched pair... again because of the main purpose of use being as a low cost jig.

This explanation may or may not meet a persons requirement. At preset, to the best of my knowledge, AUSEE buys all the STEVENSONS range from ARC.

Ketan at ARC.

12/05/2019 09:52:22

Hi Derek,

I have sent you a PM. Please check your in box.

Thank you.

Ketan at Arc.

Thread: Homeworkshop
10/05/2019 15:53:40

Have passed on the message to Adam. he is looking into it.

Ketan at ARC.

Thread: Help identifying Swiss files
23/04/2019 14:11:10
Posted by choochoo_baloo on 23/04/2019 01:47:31:

Hello all. Please can someone clarify what these Swiss/needle file cross sections show,

1. I assume each face with single hashinh = single cut.

2. A blank face (no hashing) = safe edge?

3. Therefore are Swiss files e.g. Vallorbe always single cut?

1. Your picture is from Arc's website. If you are referring to it, then, as JohnF said: 'this is a schematic diagram to show only the shape of the file and which edges have file teeth on, as you rightly say where there are no hashes its a safe edge.'

2. The needle files sold by ARC, based on the picture, are 'Swiss Pattern' - broadly speaking similar to Vallorbe, but, these files are made by Tome Feteira in Portugal, and sold under the brand names of Bludan-Austria and Tome Feteira. These files are mainly double cut.

3. Tome Feteira makes 'standard' needle files - available off the shelf from them, as well as 'Swiss Pattern' which are made against special order only. Standard needle files are much cheaper than 'Swiss Pattern'. For needle files, ARC only carries stock of TF's 'Swiss Pattern' needle files. ARC does not sell TF's 'standard' needle files.

Ketan at ARC.

Thread: Problem with Sieg SX2.7L fine feed stuck
06/04/2019 11:02:20
Posted by not done it yet on 06/04/2019 10:45:31:

Ian off ill? Just not good enoughsmiley Shouldn't be allowed!smiley

Is Brett the young lad on the counter last time I was visiting?

Seriously, I hope Ian is soon back, firing on all cylinders.

As I see it, communication with the supplier is the most important bit, with any problems such as this and the best course of action initially. Arc can decide/advise/agree on the best course of remedial action - likely a more cost effective route (if small parts actually needed replacement would to do it in situ) rather than returning the whole item to the supplier.

Unscrewing a knob, which appears to need no tools for removal, does not seem (to me) )to be any reason for denial of warranty!

Brett will point himself out when you visit next ... Ian is back today.

If one sees this exploaded parts diagram, the issue was relating to 'the fit' of part 16 onto shaft 17 which is a little tight.

Ketan at ARC

06/04/2019 10:15:38

Bill,

Ian was off ill. Our Brett called and went through everything with Bjorn.

Ketan at ARC.

Thread: KX1 CNC Mill Clearance Offer
26/03/2019 14:46:53

Took a while to move them, but all sold now. Thank you everyone. yes

Ketan at ARC.

Thread: Soba rotary table
14/03/2019 13:05:37
Posted by Mike Poole on 14/03/2019 11:42:22:

Stefan Gotteswinter has a few videos on YouTube of his teardown and improvements he made to his vertex table, much of it would apply to most rotary tables.

I am sure that John Stevenson who did quite a lot of work with converting rotary tables to use a stepper motor made some comments on Vertex lowering the specification over the years on their RT, maybe changing the supplier coincided with the spec changes.

Mike

Edited By Mike Poole on 14/03/2019 11:48:30

Hi Mike,

I saw Stefan's video. It has 'OPTIMUM' badge on it. I cannot be sure that it is a VERTEX table. Optimum uses Chinese Factory C for some of their supply. Factory C makes the VERTEX copy too. Sometimes, it is possible to copy an instruction manual, for universal use.

If you look at Stefan's video, you cannot see any drawn cup needle roller bearing (NRB) to support the worm assembly, where it enters the casting body. For most light to medium duty RT's this, along with other bearings are omitted. Over the years, the material from which the gear wheel? is made, has also changed. This applies to SIEG RTs from ARC too.

JS used to convert Vertex, ARC, various Chinese and Indian for use with stepper motors. Depending on application, he would check for presence of bearings. to the best of 'my memory' having seen this at Johns place, the old Vertexes had them inside the table, the newer ones didn't. He would strip all of these tables apart, finding good, bad or ugly. he would add bearings if and where necessary, or if a medium to heavier duty application was the purpose of use.

For SIEG RTs from ARC, they are fine for manual use. However, for use in CNC application, we do some modifications, and add some bearings inside the RTs, which makes them better for light to medium use, with much reduced backlash. Although we do not warrant them for business/commercial use, a high percentage of our sales are made to such users..... I guess due to price.

Coming back to VERTEX, I mentioned on page 2 of this thread, that they used to buy from FACTORY A in the past. FACTORY A has clarified to me that they did not buy this product from them. So I was wrong in making that statement, for which I apologise. That guessing goes on.

Thaiguzi mentioned that his VERTEX is around 25 years old - Made in Taiwan. May be it was - totally, or it was finished in Taiwan. I am now getting more and more confused about its origin. Now, all I can say is that VERTEX of old is different from VERTEX of new. In either case, the product does have some consistency in production, and most of the users are well happy with it.... be they with or without bearings.

Chinese Factory B offers the VERTEX copy - with or without bearings. So now I wonder if original VERTEX offered these with and without bearings in the old days or now. indecision. Its all clear as mud.

Ketan at ARC

12/03/2019 18:27:34
Posted by Bill Phinn on 12/03/2019 17:40:12:

Going back to Soba, I've got a three inch rotary table of theirs that I bought ten years ago, and it's been fine for what I've wanted to do with it. Maybe Soba's manufacturing standards were better ten years ago or maybe I'm just not a sophisticated enough user (yet) to have discovered its limitations..

Ten years ago, the sub-contractor Soba was using was still considered to be 'new' at making such tables. The QC took place in Sobas' warehouse. What happened to the rejected stuff in old days is different to what happens to it now.

Nowadays, a good percentage of the reject ends up on eBay by kids traders who buy two and three pieces at a time from the manufacturer. These kids traders don't know the first thing about the stuff they sell.! However, reading their feedback posted on eBay, the posts are variable from excellent through to negative.

As mentioned earlier, Soba moved away from the sub-contractor it used to use earlier. Soba has a good working relationship with Chronos and some others. ARC works with a limited number of Indian manufacturers other than SOBA. For rotary tables, ARC has yet to make a decision for sourcing these type of rotary tables be they from India or Mainland China.

Ketan at ARC.

12/03/2019 18:13:04

Neil L,

Welcome to the forum. By now you have many responses to consider. It would be great if you could share your thoughts on what has been posted so far.

As has been suggested, there are several qualities linked to price and purpose of use. As a trader/importer (ARC), I have been interested in this particular subject and I have been following the development of the brands mentioned for rotary tables, for over a decade. I would like to add a little clarity to some of the points raised:

Indian - Soba - used to sub-contract to one place for a long time. About 8 months to a year ago, they moved the manufacturing to another place. Most of the other Indian suppliers/exporters purchase from one particular maker, mainly due to price. The quality is based on Q.C. post manufacture, by the seller - (not the manufacturer). Depending on the seller, the rejection rate at source (at Exporters workshop pre-export) is variable.

Vertex - Taiwan - at one time, their HV6 was made in Mainland China by a particular manufacturer (factory A) which has a great 'technical' reputation and consistency. However, to the best of my knowledge, Vertex moved away from them around five years ago, mainly due to price. Since then there are only rumours about which factory they now subcontract to. One factory told me that they buy semi-finished from them and then finish off in Taiwan. I am un-sure if this is true.

Then, there are two more factories in Mainland China - factory B & C, cheaper than factory A. Below is my current understanding of quality vs. price:

China factory A: Highest quality and highest price.

Vertex : Quality 'maybe' similar to or marginally higher than China factory B & C, and price close to factory A.

China Factory B & C: Quality definitely not as good as factory A, but close or similar to Vertex, but price nearly 50% of factory A, and definitely cheaper than Vertex.

Soba : Quality/consistency uncertain at present, definitely not the same as Chinese factory A, and maybe close to Chinese factory B & C, but still I am not 100% sure . Price 'probably' 60% cheaper than Chinese factory A.

Rest Indian exports mainly from one Indian manufacturer: based on QC, quality close to or equal to Soba. Price 70% cheaper than China factory A.

I have been 'pondering' this subject of rotary tables since 2004. Although I know about the quality and the pricing from these makers over this time, I have found it difficult to making a decision about what to add to our range, from the above qualities/makers (excluding Vertex or Soba). If this decision was just based on quality, I would add China factory A product to my range without a second thought. But their price is nearly 3 x higher than the lowest - Indian, and nearly 2 x higher than the other Chinese offering.

Ketan at ARC.

Thread: Older/cheaper lathes
06/03/2019 21:28:06

Paul,

Bar the second paragraph, you probably made the most sensible response.

Pete,

Welcome to the forum.

Ketan

Thread: Warco Super - Major Vario inaccuracy
01/03/2019 13:25:17
Posted by Dave Halford on 27/02/2019 10:04:07:

Is there an update on this issue please?

Yes

Thread: KX1 CNC Mill Clearance Offer
28/02/2019 12:09:41
Posted by JasonB on 28/02/2019 11:20:16:
A few of the moves do seem a bit odd with it going from one side of the job to the other and retracting the tool more times than I would have expected.

This is a Vectric thing, one of the reasons why some preferred Dolphin. It adds a few extra seconds/minutes to the process. However, Vectric was found to be easier to learn/deal with and in our opinion - better supported - and it is based in the U.K., even though Vectric's biggest customer base is in the U.S..

Ketan at ARC.

Thread: Jacobs arbor marking
27/02/2019 16:09:57
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 27/02/2019 15:28:14:

Here is one I hoarded earlier:

jacobs .jpg

Suits you Sir smiley

Ketan at ARC

27/02/2019 14:15:39

Ketan,

I note that in quoting my post, my points 4,5,6 have been re-numbered 1,2,3 ... but that's of no great concern.

Where I was coming from was an attempt to explain [to Dave S.O.D.] my remark about the 'bean-counter' ... my six steps were a 'timeline' which potentially ends with the situation that you describe:

Having 'sold his soul to the devil' ... our heroic bean-counter then realises that a few more coppers could be saved by buying-in something a little worse and a little cheaper.

MichaelG.

Understood, thanks,

Ketan at ARC

27/02/2019 14:14:22
Posted by Chris Trice on 27/02/2019 14:07:27:

Let's put it this way. I paid 3 times what you charge for the same arbor so if it came from the same production line, I might feel some frustration.

Ah...um...agreed.

Ketan at ARC.

27/02/2019 13:56:16
Posted by Chris Trice on 27/02/2019 12:10:59:

Yes, thanks Ketan. Good to know my Spidey sense hasn't deserted me although a little frustrating to know I could've sourced, in this case, the identical product elsewhere for half the price.

Hi Chris,

For the ROHM product which you purchased, you got a good product. It would be difficult for you (as end user) to know if the half price product you might have purchased came from this specific factory, or a good known source. ROHM knows exactly where their product comes from, just as ARC does, for this product. So, in some ways you should be happy with your purchase rather than feel frustrated.

Ketan at ARC.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Sarik
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest