By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Martin Kyte

Here is a list of all the postings Martin Kyte has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Rivetting
18/12/2021 19:05:24

You could make a George Thomas Pillar tool which will hold the punches for you, see Hemmingway kits or Georges Book for details. Or you could make a rivetting pliers in the form of a hand held toogle press.

regards Martin

Thread: Floor Paint
18/12/2021 17:19:36

Our Lab mechanical workshop has solid oak flooring and it looks magnificent.

regards Martin

Thread: Drilling brass.
14/12/2021 13:59:18
Posted by MadMike on 14/12/2021 13:20:00:

As usual lots of good advice but sadly mainly of the "stone" the edge variety to "blunt" the drill

I have seen reference to Rake and suggestions that you can alter this easily. Rake is the angle of the spiral relative to the cutting edge. For brass this can be an important factor. Slow helix/spiral drills have the rake required for drilling brass. Modifying the point by stoning or honing simply alters cutting edge clearance which is not the same as rake on a spiral drill.

You have clearly not understood the process, or so it seems. The material is removed from the face of the drill (inside the flute) which alters the rake. As I said I use a diamond credit card slip to achieve this and obtain a sharp drill with the same rake as a straight flute brass drill. I do agree with you that blunting the drill doesn't really get you where you want to go. I also agree that brass drills and slow spiral drills designed to cut these materials are the ideal. For my clockmaking though which is generally dealing with holes below 6mm I have a set of drills modified for brass as I have described and as they work well for me is cheaper than buying a complete set of specials.

regards Martin

14/12/2021 08:50:25

Another vote for stoning the cutting edges. I do mine with an extra fine diamond slip (credit card size) with zero rake. Essentially straight along the length of the drill. However D A G Brown, famous for drill sharpening demonstrations at shows with the Quorn maintains that a correctly and very sharp 4 facet drill can be used on brass with no problems. My take on this is with a sharp drill less pressure is required in order to start a cut and so the depth of cut is smaller. In consequence the first facet is able to control the cut. I suspect that when the self infeed force gets bigger the controlling effect of the first facet has reached it's limit and is overcome and the drill is pulled into the work.

The self feed effect is much more pronounced on breakthrough when drilling brass and sometimes aluminium so care should be taken. For holes in sheet where I am not too fussed about getting the position of the hole to any high degree of precision I generally drill a small pilot hole and then follow up to final size by drilling half throgh the sheet, turning over and through drilling from the other side. This avoids the breakthrough 'grab' and also any tendency to create burrs on the exit side creating a good sharp edged hole. This is especially usefull in aluminium and in dural no deburring at all is required. For brass the point is more to avoid grab even with a stoned drill.

Brass drills used to be produced having straight flutes which when you think about it is exactly what you produde when you stone the cutting lips.

regards Martin

Thread: Shortening Screws
13/12/2021 15:45:30

Jewelers piercing saw is the way to go for smaller sizes, no burr to speak of and looks quite tidy.

regards Martin

Thread: Mystery reamer - what is it?
13/12/2021 08:24:34

We have a set in the electronics workshop at the Lab, left over from the old days. We used them for deburring large holes in panels. There are a number of shallower angle versions which even now get used for enlarging panel holes.

regards Martin

Thread: Volkswagen
11/12/2021 11:44:41

Sounds like a good argument to buy a showmans engine. Steam heating for the house, has it's own generator and available for transport when needed. Drawback is cost. Our mechanical workshop's apprentice's family just bought one for a touch over a million quid. Looks lovely though.

regards Martin

Thread: Recoil escapement - very variable time keeping
10/12/2021 08:31:04

I think you are seeing the expected error in rate comensurate with the variation in torque over the spring wind as has been said already. However 3 mins on the first day is excessive and so I think the pendulum design is not helping matters. What I think is going on is the 'compound pendulum' is more sensitive to amplitude than a simple pendulum with a rigid rod especially at high amplitudes. No idea how to model it.

Better attention to winding control will help. Clock springs are much more constant when operated in the 'middle' part of the winding so choosing a spring with extra length and limiting the wind to eliminate the full wound and fully unwound state helps enormously. This is why most fuzee clock have stopwork. you could do it manually bu counting turns.

regards Martin

Thread: Etch Primer life
08/12/2021 13:24:30

One year if I remember correctly.

regards Martin

Thread: How to profile a bum shaped depression in a 5"G drivers tip-up seat
06/12/2021 20:26:51

You need one of these.

**LINK**

Trouble is they are are out of stock at the moment.

However now you have got the idea you could make one.

regards Martin

Edited By Martin Kyte on 06/12/2021 20:28:25

Thread: cutting spur gears on a mill
05/12/2021 21:34:10
Posted by John Haine on 05/12/2021 19:15:54:

Normally yes, but this is motion work driven by a stepper motor so minimal torque transmission.

Ah, that would explain it.

regards Martin

05/12/2021 17:59:41

Free cutting Mild Steel is a little soft for a pinion don't you think especially as it seems the same thickness as the wheel. Maybe this was just a demo piece?

regards Martin

Thread: Drilling and filling of the Dental kind.
03/12/2021 17:58:50

Looking at it from a different angle. What are you prepared to pay for functioning teeth. We spend thousands so we can machine metal, so what would we pay to be able to eat.

regards Martin

Thread: sx3 mill again im afraid
30/11/2021 08:31:43
Posted by andy mulholland on 29/11/2021 17:43:48:

can I thank you both for the replies...

to say I feel like a right plonker would be putting it mildly... you are spot on about the chuck guard switch... inserting the link prevents the machine from starting... im getting to old and my brain just doesn't function logically any more..

thanks again

regards

Andy

Don't be so hard on yourself. My standard proceedure when designing safety cut-outs is to make them open circuit fail. Making the circuit enables the system. If you design the other way about as it appears on your machine then if the microswitch fails or the wires break the motor will still run which is about as usefull as a chocolate tea pot.

regards Martin

Thread: Letterboxes
29/11/2021 21:38:54

Our paper delivery bloke has one like that. Strong Spring Brush etc, and it irritates me every time I pay our paper bill. So Much so that I always ensure that the envelope the cheque is in gets screwed up into a nice tight ball. Not sure he will ever get the message. He also has the cold caller clear off and don't return notice posted on the door too.

regards Martin

Thread: Welding Cast Iron
29/11/2021 21:33:24

If that is a Stanley No 78 then there are some interesting comments here.

**LINK**

Including the expectation of Brazed repairs exactly where yours broke.

regards Martin

Thread: Is Model Engineering "green"?
29/11/2021 18:54:27
Posted by Nigel Bennett on 29/11/2021 13:02:12:

We each of us - all 8 billion - produce 1kg of CO2 every day just by breathing. Basic needs living adds a lot more to that.

The Carbon exhaled comes from grown food, grown food has drwn down carbon from the atmosphere so you are merely completing the cycle. Properly grown food also makes soil which also locks up atmospheric carbon. The cycle breaks when artificlal fertiliser are used which add fossil carbon and don't do much for the soil. Thats why diet and agriculture are key to changing the carbon footprint.

regards Martin

29/11/2021 11:49:17

Well said SOD.

Is China to blame for the emissions caused by manufacturing your new lathe or are you.? It's everyones problem and we should all be part of the solution.

regards Martin

Thread: Workshop disposal
29/11/2021 10:04:03

You do have to consider things from the buyers point of view.

1. The dealer. They have to clear and collect everything including stuff they don't want. All their time is costed and they then have to sell at a higher price to make a profit/living. The advantages to the seller being it's quick and easy which has some value in itself.

2. The club. Generally msot people are well set up aready and unless there is a specific item someone is desperate for a transaction will only take place if items are bargins. Sometimes it's nice to know were things went and that they are being enjoyed.

3. eBay. Massive amount of work but probably the route to realising the maximum return.

regards Martin

Thread: Filing Technique
29/11/2021 09:51:52

Personally I think the most important thing is can you begin the stroke at the same angle consistantly. I find that lifting the file on the back stroke slows me down and I get more consistant results. Each stroke being more deliberate. I do however spend most of my filing time creating particular shapes or flats rather than shifting a lot of metal.

regards Martin

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Dreweatts
Eccentric Engineering
Rapid RC
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest