By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Martin Kyte

Here is a list of all the postings Martin Kyte has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: recent power outage in Medway
21/02/2022 08:36:19

My comiserations Clive. Maybe Machine Mart is a good place to start, they are always banging on about their heater range.

**LINK**

It's either that or build a forge or foundrey and move in there

regards Martin

Thread: Plasma
17/02/2022 17:44:27

Well yes actually I think you can. Essentially if you strip electrons from atoms in a gas you get a plasma. The atomic neuclii and whatever electrons remain associated with them retain the characteristic identity of the particular element you started with in terms of atomic number.

regards Martin

Thread: Arduino/Stepper Motor Dividing Head
17/02/2022 11:24:20
Posted by John Haine on 16/02/2022 19:56:05:

Bear in mind that stepper accuracy in microstep mode is unlikely to be very good, it will depend on the linearity and basic precision of the motor itself as well as tolerance in the driver. Microstepping is more to get smooth and quiet operation at higher speeds than guarantee higher resolution.

Microstepping increases the resolution of the system. Torque between full steps is less so positional accuracy due to system stiction gets worse between full steps. Your last point on speed I don't agrree with. Gecko Stepper drives switch from microstepping at low seeds for resolution to full stepping at higher speeds for more torque.

regards Martin

Thread: Learn to use a metal lathe
16/02/2022 13:30:28

One of my favourite phrases is 'we learn from mistakes, but no-one says they have you be your own mistakes'.

I'm with Andrew on this glean as much as you can from books and other people. You will still make enough errors yourself.

regards Martin

Thread: The Fount Of All.... Hignorunce?
14/02/2022 14:05:18

It's about asking the right question.

Try "How to splice rope"

rather than "Rope eye splices"

regards Martin

Thread: Doncaster Model Railway Show.
14/02/2022 11:15:49

Alley Pally is not the only London venue. The London Model show moved there from the Lee Valley Leisure centre so historically it's not wedded to alley Palley.

I guess everything will go through a period of adjustment including venue's trying to attract custom by adjusting hire prices.

regards Martin

12/02/2022 19:03:40

I'd go with that comment. A lot of the shows live hand to mouth from one show to another. Lay out the money and have the show cancelled or poorly attended because of a new wave of covid and restrictions and you could well destroy the chances of being able to run ever again. It's a case of do you take the risk or not or so it seems to me.

regards Martin

Thread: Arduino/Stepper Motor Dividing Head
09/02/2022 09:47:27
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 09/02/2022 08:58:34:
Posted by Martin Kyte on 09/02/2022 08:39:57:

I built […]

I would be very interested to see some details of that, Martin

If it’s inconvenient to post them here … may I send you my eMail address by personal message ?

I already have one of Tony Jeffree’s DivisionMaster units; but your device might be very usefully adapted to driving a microscope stage enlightened

MichaelG.

Hi Michael

For a microscope stage driver you may be interested in this.

**LINK**

It's an open source sub-micron stage driver based on an arduino interfaced to a Games controller handset.

I built one for the Lab 2 years ago as a low cost microscope stage controller and it works very well.

regards Martin

09/02/2022 08:39:57

I built a dividing head driver just for cutting clock wheels. My interface consists of a 4 digit 7 segment LED display with an SPI interface. Didn't bother with a keypad. Just had a toggle switch to select set or run mode and 2 buttons for increment or decrement when in set mode. Single pushes change the target count by 1 and holding the button auto increments. Quite quick to set up. I use a PIC to run the firmware. The system keeps an absolute count of the number of steps and calculates the next step count for each division to eliminate cumulative errors.

regards Martin

Thread: Read the T-shirt
08/02/2022 08:40:43

I Like this one.

ferrouswheel.jpgIt's a Ferrous Wheel

Edited By Martin Kyte on 08/02/2022 08:41:16

Thread: Gear cutters for clock wheels
08/02/2022 08:33:42
Posted by Jouke van der Veen on 07/02/2022 22:09:25:

Hallo Martin,

I considered the method you described more than once.

I recognise that having such a tool woul result in e constant tooth thickness but I think I willl not be able to postion two buttons at a, lets say, precise distance of 3x1.57 = 4.71mm. How precise has this to be? What do you exactly mean with a parallel waist?

Regards,

Jouke

Using the analogy of a buttercup flower where the tapered sided button is the 'cup' and the waist is the much smaller 'stem'. If you drill your locating holes on the mill they can be located with precision using the dials or DRO.

regards Martin

07/02/2022 21:56:26

Well thats an interesting twist. You are a little limited on diameter with that method. What's wrong with turning tapered buttons in silver steel. With a parallel waist they can be accurately positioned in holes drilled in the end of the button holder, whitch is put in on the mill will correctly separate two buttons to give the correct thickness to the gear cutter. High Strength loctite to cement in place means that you don't loose the polish on the buttons as you don't have to apply heat to silver solder them in place.

regards Martin

Thread: Running a Myford S7 in Reverse
07/02/2022 21:45:17

You ask is there another solution, well you could always convert to left hand threads if you are screw cutting internal and external mating halves.

regards Martin

Thread: New highway code rule.
06/02/2022 22:23:51

One of the knotty questions is does the robot car choose to run over the child in the road killing it or swerve into the bridge parapet killing you. Does the manufacturer have to obtain your signiture for this action to be allowed or can it be programmed in without your consent and if so what are the rules on disclosure.

regards Martin

Thread: Green growth on car roof rails
06/02/2022 16:16:14

If it's green then it will be photo synthesising so reducing the light may slow things down a little. Try painting it with a solvent like IPA or maybe try one of the mould killers sold for bathrooms.

regards Martin

Edited By Martin Kyte on 06/02/2022 16:17:06

Thread: Hand Held Magnifiers?
06/02/2022 11:04:49

Take a picture with your phone.

regards Martin

Thread: Non-warping Wood for Base?
06/02/2022 11:02:55

I'll second that for old furniture. Once you have your finished size then it needs to be completely sealed (shellack polish etc). Alternatively use Trespa high pressure laminate. Pleasant to look at can be machined with a router to create the edge. Totally stable and dead flat. Link is just for an example.

**LINK**

regards Martin

Thread: Making a die filer - how to build the eccentric
05/02/2022 20:45:47

Have a squint at the Hemmingway Kit at

**LINK**

I buit one and it works very well. Designed to fit on a Myford and be driven by the chuck. The table is adjustable for angle and the stroke length can also be adjusted. Essentially the file is attached to a slide whitch is driven by a crank. No bearings are required for the "big end" as that is taken care of by the headstock bearings. Similarly the motor and speed control are built into the lathe, in my case a variable speed drive as I have a Newton Tesla inverter drive on mine. Lathe mounting also takes care of, well mounting actually, and so the unit ends up at the right sort of hight and is rigidly constrained. I have to say, whats not to like. By all means do your own thing but it's a hard act to beat. The only criticism I have is that the file travels in a straight line so rubs on the back stroke. Hard to get a machine to do anything else really. You really should mount your files upside down in a unit like this so they cut on the down stroke and against the table for heavier work.

I have used mine for wheel crossing but like most thing horological everyone thinks there are short cuts but in the end practicing hand methods end up faster in the end.

regards Martin

Thread: Four Index Thread Indicator
05/02/2022 20:27:46
Posted by Franco Convertini on 05/02/2022 19:26:38:

I think my lathe is metric because it has a cross slide and a top slide with a 2mm pitch but the lead screw has a pitch of 3.15 mm

Edited By Franco Convertini on 05/02/2022 19:30:16

Top and cross slide are irrelevant. The leadscrew needs to be metric for dial indicators to work for metric threads. You cannot drop the half nuts in anywhere else on an imperial lead screw when cutting metric threads. Even for imperial threads if you are doing strange TPI's it is sometime neccessary to keep the half nuts engaged.

regards Martin

05/02/2022 19:06:04

I wanted to know if there is a dial indicator for metric threads?

Yes but only for lathes with a metric lead screw.

regards Martin

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Dreweatts
Rapid RC
cowells
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest