By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Martin Kyte

Here is a list of all the postings Martin Kyte has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: condensation
13/04/2022 09:06:39
Posted by Stephen Follows on 12/04/2022 23:06:08:

Like the light bulb idea but don't think incandescent lamps are sold now....

Google Rough Service light bulbs and pick what you want.

regards Martin

Thread: Fitting a 5 micron DRO to Myford ML7
12/04/2022 08:46:17
Posted by Y C Lui on 12/04/2022 08:05:00:

Sub one-thou accuracy is actually not that ambitious.

Edited By Y C Lui on 12/04/2022 08:14:05

I can certainly do it on the Myford just with the slide micrometers and a mic.

regards Martin

Thread: Imperial v Metric Measures
09/04/2022 19:43:13
Posted by Chris Trice on 09/04/2022 18:19:20:

The only people keeping imperial alive is the model engineer.

And that little thing called back compatability.

regards Martin

Thread: Wiring and connectors
09/04/2022 09:28:44

Vehicle Wiring Products should sort you out with most of your needs.

**LINK**

regards Martin

Thread: Why is electricity so expensive?
06/04/2022 10:09:30
Posted by Pete. on 06/04/2022 01:55:14:

Population of London 1995 6.8 million, population of London 2022 9.5 million, has supply been keeping up with demand?

That assumes that enegy consumed per person remains constant and that all persons equally use the same amount of energy.

There has been a drive for energy efficiency at least for the last 20 years so a new device today uses less power than the same device 20 years ago. Most things have gone in this direction.

The demographic mix alters the calculation too. Add a baby to a household and there will not be much in the way for change in demand. Maybe a few extra lights on for night feeds.

A better measure would be the number of households as generally speaking this would equate to a set of household devices (Fridge, freezer washing machine etc)

On a gross scale I would suggest that supply is keeping up with demand as there have been no power outages.

regards Martin

Thread: Gear cutting basics help needed.
04/04/2022 08:45:47
Posted by ian voller on 03/04/2022 18:28:51:

PP Thorntons site askes you to select module and leaves? Putting "Gear leaves" into google just shows green leaves face 1 is "leaves" the tooth count? The site also doesn't show bore size, anyone know what it is?

Hi Ian

In horology a leaf is a tooth.

If you click on Wheel Cutters instead of pinion cutters you will be able to select what you need. Pinion cutters vary in shape according to the number of leaves (teeth) on the pinion. Wheel cutters will cut any number of teeth. As you are making latern pinons you do not require any pinion cutters. I've put a link to wheel cutters below if that helps.

I know there is a trend to advocate involute tooth shape for clocks but as you will deduce from the above there are practical advantages in using cycloidal not least that you only require ONE cutter for all wheel counts from 17 to infinity. Another is that fly cutters are simple to make.

**LINK**

regards Martin

02/04/2022 19:05:57
Posted by Simon Williams 3 on 02/04/2022 16:55:14:

By the by, I built a clock using 20 DP involute gears - that was the set of cutters I had available. To be strictly accurate I was building the 12:1 gear train from the minute hand to the hour hand on the local church clock, so space wasn't an issue. The minute hand is driven by a synchronous motor rotating once per hour, and obviously the hour hand is coaxial. Thus the 12:1 reduction driving the hour hand is equivalent to the back ear on a lathe headstock a la Myford etc. As I say, space was not a consideration but longevity is a point of honour!

What you describe is a gearbox rather than a clock. I would say the use of involute gears for your application is totally appropriate. In a clock the train from the power source to the escapement is geared up not down which is where the issues of friction arise. Tower clocks in general have lots of spare power and space and have the luxury of massive frames. Involutes could be usefully employed on the lower end of tower clocks as can steel or cast iron gearing.

regards Martin

01/04/2022 22:16:18

Hi Ian

So you need 42 DP for the Centre and Third Wheel and 34 DP for the Hour Wheels and the Great Wheel

To Convert to Module M= 25.4/DP

So 42 DP will give 0.6 Mod

and 34 DP which is near enough 0.75 Mod

The diameter of the wheel blanks are on pages 29 and 31 of John Wildings book.

I generally use PP Torntons clock wheel cutters but they are not cheap. However you only need one cutter for each module for any number of teeth for wheels. (Pinion cutters are for specific numbers of leaves but as you are making lantern pinions you don't need to worry about that) Don't get mislead by sets of 8 cutters, thats for involute gears and you are not doing that. Cycloidal for clocks as has been said above.

What have you bought for dividing?

regards Martin

Edited By Martin Kyte on 01/04/2022 22:16:48

01/04/2022 16:06:29

What clock are you making?

regards Martin

Thread: What Did you do Today 2022
26/03/2022 10:15:58
Posted by John Hinkley on 26/03/2022 09:45:19:

The major problem with any design will be sourcing the files with the gripping bit at the "wrong end", as it were, so that it will cut in the opposite direction to a normal file. They appear to be a very rare commodity these days. With my design, I had intended to use the commonly available needle files with the business end ground to a circular section.

John

If you arrange the file attachment to accept say 1/4 inch rod you can make yourself a load of 1/4 inch steel adaptors (thimbles) drilled most of the way through. The needle files can then be araldited into the thimbles. It is quite easy to rig up a jig to ensure that the files are dead straight to the thimble as the araldite will allow for movement until ot sets.

regards Martin

Thread: Finding things
24/03/2022 17:38:54
Posted by Juddy on 24/03/2022 14:38:18:

Yes, or buy another one and the lost one will turn up as soon as the new one arrives

Not just turn up, but be discovered right next to the place you decide to store the new one. I've got a boring head that did that.

regards Martin

To be fair it was not exactly lost, I just forgot I had bought it and found another at a good price at a show. Remember those.

Thread: Cast Iron?
19/03/2022 13:06:48
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 19/03/2022 07:48:40:
Posted by Martin Kyte on 18/03/2022 14:14:10:

Was amused by the suggestion that cast iron is only cast iron once it's been cast.

Does it not start off as pig iron albeit cast into ingots these days from the blast furnace?. So the foundry raw material for making iron castings will be an iron casting which is cast iron before it is melted. If you melt cast iron then it must me molten cast iron I think.

regards Martin

;O)

I realise that your rhetorical question was probably posted ‘for sport’ … but I’m intrigued :

the ‘suggestion’ by whom? and in what context?

MichaelG.

This makes reasonable sense of it: **LINK**

https://civilblog.org/2017/05/29/pig-iron-cast-iron-wrought-iron-whats-difference/

It was a thowaway byline in MEW letters by David Hall as a response to the statement "when molten cast iron is remarkably fluid" and goes on to comment that surely cast iron is not cast iron until after it has been cast. In the same spirit of humorous mischief I extended the time frame to ponder that had been cast after the smelting process so had some claim on the cast moniker.

On a more sensible note maybe the 'molten cast iron' can be considered as being so when considered as a mixture rather than as a structure as it is no longer crystaline.

regards Martin

18/03/2022 14:14:10

Was amused by the suggestion that cast iron is only cast iron once it's been cast.

Does it not start off as pig iron albeit cast into ingots these days from the blast furnace?. So the foundry raw material for making iron castings will be an iron casting which is cast iron before it is melted. If you melt cast iron then it must me molten cast iron I think.

regards Martin

;O)

Thread: Myford ML7 feedscrew misalignment
11/03/2022 08:37:05

When replacing crosslide feedscrews(Leadscrew) the proceedure is :-

With Leadscrew removed clean and lubricate the dovetail slide and adjust the gib for smooth hand action without play.

Assemble the leadscrew nut and and the leadscrew end plate with the leadscrew in place with the endplate floating ie fixings inserted but not tightened.

Screw the leadscrew into the nut so that the cross slide is in it's max infeed position and there is minimum distance between the end cap and the nut. This will correctly align the end plate and the endplate fixings may now be tightened up.

regards Martin

Thread: Cheap silver oxide batteries.
08/03/2022 21:51:47
Posted by Martin Kyte on 08/03/2022 14:20:32:

I would imagine the cheap cells are new to their shelf life, I may be being generous there.

regards Martin

obviously 'near to their shelf life'

no idea where new came from.

regards Martin

08/03/2022 14:20:32

I would imagine the cheap cells are new to their shelf life, I may be being generous there.

regards Martin

Thread: Electrical calculations
08/03/2022 09:54:03

So it looks perfectly reasonable to me to switch the AC relay from 24V AC derived by what I take to be a 240 volt primary with 2x24V secondaries connected in series driven from 110 Volts.

regards Martin

Thread: Myford ML7 1956 ... Question on drive belt and Stalling when cutting
06/03/2022 18:41:34

You have got the belt the right way round have you?

**LINK**

regards Martin

Thread: Railway station toilet signs
06/03/2022 10:10:28

Let alone Micturating.

;O)

Martin

Thread: Question about roughing or ripper end mills
05/03/2022 19:21:38

The operation of these roughing cutters are that the 3 flutes cut grooves at different positions along the length of the cutter. So a bite will be taken and then another just below it and then one below that. This repeates for the length of the cutter which makes for a very free cuttting action. The roughing cutters I have used have all been bevel ground on the tips which makes for a longer life and does eliminate the chip loading on the sharp corner (basically by avoiding sharp corners). This one looks like it has been reground. They are not really for finish cuts.

regards Martin

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Rapid RC
Dreweatts
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest