By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Martin Kyte

Here is a list of all the postings Martin Kyte has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Lathe boring tool - top rake?
20/11/2019 11:38:23
Posted by Robin Graham on 20/11/2019 00:52:37:

Thanks for replies. Looking at David's (impressive!) range of DIY boring tools, and taking Zan's advice that zero rake works OK I made a tool (from silver steel) with zero rake. My need was for a 12mm blind hole 15mm deep with a flat bottom - so it is pretty slender. But it worked!

I notice that my first cuts gave a slightly conical bore, with the narrow end towards the headstock. After taking numerous spring cuts I ended up with a parallel bore, but I don't understand this behaviour. How does the tool know where it is?

Robin

If there is not much clearence between the wall of the bore and the shank of the tool you get swarf build up which can 'spring' the tool in a little and reduce the cut. It will get worse the deeper the bore because there is more swarf about.

regards Martin

Thread: Remote speed control pendant
20/11/2019 09:20:57

The data sheets for your inverters would be a good place to start. generally they contain schematics for remote control operation. You will need them to set up the inverters for remote operation anyhow.

regards Martin

Thread: Resilient motor mount retaining clips.
19/11/2019 16:17:53

Not really sure what you are after but does this help?

**LINK**

regards Martin

Edited By Martin Kyte on 19/11/2019 16:18:18

Thread: HSS tool sharpening
19/11/2019 13:51:25

Leave it as it is for the time being and by a small fine diamond stone, credit card type would do, and use this for honing the edges once you have shaped the tool. knife tools are simple in shape and very forgiving in terms of geometry. You should be able to refine the cutting edge and generate a small radius by hand just using the stone.

The wheels that normally come with bech grinders are a little on the corse side for tool grinding without some kind of second process to get rid of the ridges.

regards Martin

Edited By Martin Kyte on 19/11/2019 13:51:54

Thread: Lathe chuck guards - how many folk use them?
13/11/2019 14:55:30

Whatever you want to do in your own workshop and whatever you think of Health and Safety you cannot refute the fact that workplace injuries and deaths have reduced considerably over time. See Charts 5 to 7

**LINK**

regards Martin

Thread: EN3 bowing after machining
13/11/2019 08:51:26

Unless it was bowed to start with.

Martin

Thread: Preventing distortion.
12/11/2019 14:38:38

Cut another keyway on the oposite side.

regards Martin

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
06/11/2019 13:13:49

For those interested in trams.

Rebuilt tram at Ipswich Museum

regards Martin

Thread: Source of Stainless Strip
06/11/2019 12:07:00

Stainless hose clips maybe?

**LINK**

regards Martin

Thread: Installation of a Myford (or any machine tool)
06/11/2019 09:20:32

My workshop floor is concrete with a self leveling screed on top. This is further covered with flooring grade chipboard on top of a felt insulating layer. The Myford is bolted to the concrete in the following way. I marked the cabinet lug hole positions on the floor and cut 4 off 1.5 inch discs out of the chipboard. Rawlbolts (studs actually) were then fitted in the fixing positions. 4 substantial bushes were turned up around 1 1/4' diameter with a suitable centre hole and faced to length to bring the tops on a level plane when fitted over the studs. The cabinet then went on top and was bolted down. This keeps the cabinet slightly off the (painted wooden floor) so there is ventilation ( no dampness from any spillages, not that I have any) and I get to stand on a warm floor with the lathe on a firm foundation.

regards Martin

Thread: Lathe chuck guards - how many folk use them?
05/11/2019 13:28:40

The key to safety is good practice and guards, interlocks and all the rest are there to either engender good practice or in extreme cases to force it.

In single operator workshops I guess we have to consider the things that cause us personally the most dificulty in staying safe. I have no problem consistantly removing chuck keys but it clearly worries some so it would make sense for them to have some kind of mechanical reminder system such as key springs or guards with interlocks. The important thing is to understand you own peculiarities and act accordingly. A habit of automatically thinking about potential pitfalls as they are created helps. How many of us think if I don't move that I will trip over it etc.

The other thing that occurs to me is what happens when we cease to be the only user when a grandchild has become old enough to come and have a go. I am sure my workshop would need some serious thought to remove potential for harm for a small person who has no previous awareness of the hazards. Just as the level of guarding appropriate to a factory floor may be over the top when applied to a tool room, what we would consider 'safe' may be inadequate for a youngster.

I don't have a guard fitted to the Myford, but I will if my young great nephews come and have a go.

regards Martin

Thread: Reaming - depth of cut
05/11/2019 09:00:09

New reamers tend to cut big on the first pass or two.

. . . . . or 10 or 100 passes. Don't just assume that the hole will be the size printed on the 'tin' particularly if you are using a machine reamer without a floating holder. Tailstocks are never bang on, neither are tailstock chucks. By all means ream the hole but measure afterwards. Reamers are handy to produce a number of holes to near identical dimensions but best practice is make the holes first and then turn the bits to fit in them afterwards.

regards Martin

Thread: MIDLANDS MODEL ENGINEERING EXHIBITION
23/10/2019 13:48:02

Fair comment Jason, possibly because individuals have to make such an effort to display a model usually involving three trips to the venue to deliver, attend and then collect. However even frequent fliers can with a little inventiveness be made more interesting. For example grouping or pairing versions of the same thing allows a comparison as well as a perusal of the individual model. All of a sudden one can see how a modeler has made their own variations.

regards Martin

23/10/2019 13:13:04
Posted by Alan Jackson on 23/10/2019 10:50:26:

It would be interesting to know what fundamentals have changed that create the concerns and comments in this thread.

Alan

At last, a usefull question. Purely as someone who attends shows and have done for the last 30 years I'll have a go at my ideas of an answer.

Once you have got past the people who are just grumblers and the tendency to see past events in a rosy light there are as indicated serious concerns. I shall take it as a given that shows are a good thing and that there is a general wish that they continue. So first of what are the current dificulties?

Clearly as an economic model shows have at least in recent times been very reliant on trade stands both as a revenue stream and as a major attractor of footfall. This relies on traders making enough to warrant attending and the pressures on traders at shows is no different to the pressures that all our high streets face in these days of internet commerce.

Maybe the next point is that there are more shows both numerically and given the ability to travel more in range distance wise.

I have no idea how many people are actually involved in model engineering but judging by the numbers at shows it seems sufficiently large to be considered a ready supply of attendees. However those new to the hobby generally will find shows more exciting than old stagers purely because everything is new, certainly even if a model has appeared at a show many times it will be new to them rather than those of us who go every year.

So to move on to exhibits. I have never been involved in running a show but I can appreciate the enormous effort it must take by people who I understand are largely volunteers so don't think I am criticising. However if a show ends up just recycling models people have seen many times before they can tend to get a little tedious. Now I know organisers have no ultimate control over what is offered, that has to be down to us, some influence can be effected.

For example showcasing particular models or aspects of the hobby can be successfull as was done with the recent Mallard anniversary etc. Demonstrations are another draw which are under some kind of control before the event and of course the same goes for lectures. Shows I have particularly enjoyed are usually where one or two special exhibits were showcased. The Bentley engines are a case in point as were Cherry Hinds models. There are more. These things cause you to come away from the show thinking 'I'm glad I came to see that'.

To exist into the future shows have to innovate to survive. I'ts no good just trusting to the old formats and thinking they are going to work forever. Take Trade stands for instance. If traders don't find it economic to attend with all the kit then how about a collection service coupled with a showcase demo at shows. Order your stuff online, have the trader take all the items to the show along with a particular machine to demonstate. That way they meet the public, have guarenteed sales, can do the wole thing cheaper and we get to save the postage on heavy items.

Maybe it's time to get a proper discussion going on this forum. Who knows we may even come up with some gems to save the day. I'm sure there are many people more innovative than me.

regards Martin

Edited By Martin Kyte on 23/10/2019 13:13:23

Thread: End mill regrinding
22/10/2019 13:56:11
Posted by Bazyle on 22/10/2019 13:18:26:

Don't understand that Martin, please can you do a drawing or photo.

Like this

Chamfer end mill

Ifoggy is correct it's the corners that go. With a chamfer the cutting tip has more metal around it so is more robust and will stay cooler and in consequence last longer. Finishing end mills have a slight radius on the tips so this is a sort of half way house.

regards Martin

22/10/2019 11:47:03

Or alternatively if you are only concerned with creating flat surfaces you can with ease grind 2 45degree cutting surfaces on the tips of the cutter. This is even easier with end mills. This will give you a very robust cutting edge of 135 degrees which lasts much longer than the usual tip cutting cutters (if that makes) sense, and does not require the sharpening of the flutes or much removal of metal. I find this gives a super finish and can at a pinch be done by hand and eye in the same way one would sharpen a drill.

regards Martin

22/10/2019 08:47:50
Posted by D.A.Godley on 19/10/2019 20:26:25:

Arc May write nice words , but having used the shows ,starting at Donnington , to establish themselves with us , shew nothing but contempt by expecting continued business from us while not being there for us at Exhibitions, this now goes for the likes of Chronos , Warco , EKP and several others .

A little context may enlighten your opinions Mr? Godley.

I had a conversation with one of the guy's from EKP some years ago now when he told me sadly that it was the last show they were going to be able to attend. The reasons he gave for this was primarily that doing a show caused lost them roughly a weeks production (they manufacture their own fixings) once they had loaded everything up manned the stand for the duration and then put everything back on stock afterwards. It also caused a cessation of web trading (they usually operate a next day delivery) for a week. The upshot was that they were losing money by being at shows so reluctantly they quit.

Many of the suppiliers we rely on are small companies and just cannot afford to throw money around. The reality of life today is if exhibitions are to continue they will need to evolve to survive by being less dependent on the trade element and more focussed on the models, lectures demonstration and whatever else the organisers cane come up with.

regards Martin

PS I went on the Friday and had a great time. Nice lunch upstairs, a few chats with people I had never met before and some interesting models.

Thread: Surface Mount Switch
16/10/2019 11:45:18

Which is exactly where you started, sorry I should read posts more carefully.

Martin

16/10/2019 11:43:40

Try this offering from Axminster Tools

**LINK**

regards Martin

16/10/2019 11:35:15

It all depends on your definition of Midday really.

The Navy day used to begin when the sun reached it's zenith which when you are at sea with no accurate clock that is the only marker you have. Various sand glasses split the following time into periods until the next 'noon' sight could be made. So Naval 'midday' would be 1200 o'clock at night which is silly and I would not have imagined anyone calling it that. Older phrasiology would have talked of the forenoon, noon and afternoon, the last two being still in common use.

Mathematically midday should be the time which is the mean of Sunrise and Sunset being the middle of the 'daylight hours'

I shall be going to the midland show and I shall be there at midday and shall probably see some of you but if we see each other at the same time is anybody's guess

;O)

regards Martin

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
cowbells
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Meridienne; London MES
TRANSWAVE Converters
Warco
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest