By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Martin Kyte

Here is a list of all the postings Martin Kyte has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Gold Plating
16/01/2019 09:19:33

My suggestion would be gold sputter coating (vacuum deposition). Find a company to do it for you unless you want to build your own coater. It could be a possibility to silicon coat (SiO) which is the normal way of protecting telescope mirrors after aluminium coating. Galvoptics offfer this service for mirrors. You are however going to have to bite the bullet and polish well. personally I don't like gold plated clocks, strangely I think it makes them look cheap.

There have been plated/coated clocks at ME shows in the past so someone will have done it.

regards Martin

Thread: Myford super 7
15/01/2019 13:06:21

Did you not look on the Myford website?

**LINK**

regards Martin

Thread: ball turning
15/01/2019 09:39:28

Hi Peter

I made the Hemmingway version last year.

**LINK**

This is essentially a boring head style device mounted in the toolpost. The cutting tool moves in an arc in a vertical plane along the lathe spindle axis. (up and over the work) so cuts at the top of the work and not the side as in normal turning. To imagine the cutting tool required if you consider a normal knife tool rotated 90 degrees so it is positioned over the workpiece you will get the profiles of the cutting edges required for the 'end' of your tool. It will be more akin to the diamond tool as advertised by eccentric engineering but with the body of the tool square on to the work so all the clearence angle have to be generated by grinding.

The parting off requirement may be a little more challenging as the clearences start to disappear as you swing round to the headstock end of the ball. A deep wide groove machined in the blank helps but to get right round to parting off position really needs a cranked cutting tool.

regards Martin

Thread: Combi Boiler fault finding
19/12/2018 14:30:26

Can't you just bring the cows indoors during the winter.

Martin ;o)

Thread: A question about lock (jam) nuts
12/12/2018 09:22:33

I used one of these on my woodwork bench.

**LINK**

You could add the extra handle which gives you the option of tidying things up. My version has a resettable locking pin to allow one screw to be disconnected from the drive so they then act independently. This allows the vise to be skewd to accomodate tapered work pieces.

regards Martin

Thread: Sourcing Suppliers
10/12/2018 14:09:24

Hi David

**LINK**

are quick

or if you are buying full sheets Smiths Metals

**LINK**

who have a counter service.

If you are clock making do ensure you buy CZ120 (half hard leaded brass) for wheels and plates.

Cousins Material house and Meadows and Passmore for springs, pivot steel, line, dials, finials etc.

**LINK**

**LINK**

What are you making?

regards Martin

Thread: Anyone bought a new Myford
03/12/2018 14:31:10

I'm glad you added the word 'pay'

;o)

03/12/2018 13:48:12

Of course they had, but they must have been one of the only blokes still payed in cash. In one sense it was quite nice but it maybe did say something about Myfords as a company. They never really got to grips with a web based spares ordering system either.

regards Martin

03/12/2018 13:34:28

My point was that there are two ways of assessing Myford.

The first is that because they are still around they must be far better than everything else.

The second, which was my point, is that they are still around because they were much better then everything else 40 to 50 years ago, mainly due to a niche market and they multiplied to become the goto lathe for model engineers around the world. The longevity of the brand is because they last well and spares sales could then support the manufacture and sales of mew machines. Put simply if they were not so popular way back when they would probably have stopped production years ago or brought out something new.

My assesment is that the longevity gives a false impression of their standing compared to the rest of the current options. I like them but I would not suggest neccesarily they were the best option or value for someone starting out.

Just an anecdote. Two of us got out Super7's reground back in 2000 ish and delivered them to the works at Nottingham. It happened to be pay day and we couldn't beleive that the workforce were still actually being payed in real money in paper pay packets. It was like stepping back in time.

regards Martin

Edited By Martin Kyte on 03/12/2018 13:35:22

Thread: Resiliant or standard metric foot mounted motor?
03/12/2018 13:15:47

Is there a reason (maybe price?) not to get the complete motor/ inverter package from Newton Tesla?

Comes fully wired as a bolt on package. £469.20

regards Martin

Thread: New member
03/12/2018 12:45:59
Posted by Pete Berry on 30/11/2018 14:11:19:

Hi Bob, I built lady Stephen some years ago and thought some part are like watch making. I did not think much of thr beam casting and fabricated one from mild steel.

Go luck with your build.

Regards Pete

Good heavens, a gender re-assigned Model Engineering project. !

Thread: Anyone bought a new Myford
28/11/2018 11:20:51

Just stepping back a little. Consider the success of the Super7 as a commercial product.

First launched in 1952 of the back of the ML7 it has been continuously in production and development for 66 years. It acheived a global sales reach and the spares market alone was and probably is of lasting commercial value. When the original Myford Company was wound up due to the death of the main man (it didn't go bust) it was seen as valuable enough to buy as a going concern with the new owners re-establiching production of initially gearboxes and laterly new Connoiseurs the final iteration of the Super7. In my opinion the success of the Super7 lies in identifiying a gap in the market for a toolroom (1950's parameters) quality lathe and building it at the right price and size. It suited model engineers, schools and training establishments. Because of this Myfords established an enormous market presence which coupled with tooling that suited the Myford and the fact that they didn't wear out quickly (and when they did refurbishment was simple and offered by the company) gave the lathe a persistance beyond many if not most other models.

So whilst it's not surprising that the design does have something of an outdated feel to it due to it's very success I must rank as an outstanding product from a commercial perspective.

You will guess I'm a fan but I would be the last to argue that there are not much better more modern lathes around of the same size. However when I bought my first one (second hand on a budget) knowing that there was going to be spares available far into the future was a big draw. How many newish but obsolete far eastern machines are out there. ?

regards Martin

Edited By Martin Kyte on 28/11/2018 11:21:36

Edited By Martin Kyte on 28/11/2018 11:22:34

27/11/2018 09:53:45

Brian

The last chat I had with the lads on the Myford stand at the Midlands show they said they were selling 1 or 2 connoisseurs a week and they are built from scratch. Personally I'm not sure I would buy a new one but I did buy a referb for the following reasons.

All my kit is based on the Myford.

I had a old one to trade in.

I wanted to upgrade to power cross feed and gearbox

It suits clockmaking and can do all I need it to regarding steam models.

regards Martin

Thread: Wooden display base
21/11/2018 08:54:39

Oak is quite acidic to the extent of tending to rust steel screws used as fixings so be aware if you do use that. If the engine base is directly in contact then a good sealing of shellac and wax or varnish should protect your engine.

regards Martin

Thread: Quick release hook
14/11/2018 13:56:46

Have a google for quick release mooring hooks. The basic idea is the hook section pivots between two side cheeks and is controlled by a latch on the tail of the hook. When the tail is released the hook flicks outwards towards the load and the loop in the load line slips off. The action is like a hand holding the handle of a bag and then releasing by straightening the fingers and opening the hand. Sea going salvage tugs use a large version.

Here is one version and a video

**LINK**

regards Martin

Thread: Taper turning
30/10/2018 12:13:30
Posted by John Haine on 30/10/2018 11:42:24:

Put accurate centres in HS & TS. Bring TS up to HS until the points nearly touch. Place a thin bit of shim between points and nip up TS to grip. If TS is aligned shim will be at right angles to lathe axis - if not then adjust 'til it is. Simples.

. . . . and if the shim is at an angle to the vertical break out into cold sweat and swear copiously (

Thread: Power Cross Feed On A Myford ML7R
30/10/2018 09:54:50

Hi Brian. It did depend on the state of your current lathe. For me it was time to upgrade, I'd had my old lathe for 25 years or so and all my tooling and attachments (dividing heads etc) are built around the Myford so it gave me the ideal way of acheiving what I needed with flexibility and a way of keeping the costs within limits. I thought it may not suit you but worth adding to the consideration.

regards Martin

Thread: Spindle design
30/10/2018 09:16:35

You may wish to think about adding a flywheel to the pulley so you have some stored energy to even out the cutting speed when milling.

regards Martin

Thread: Taper turning
30/10/2018 09:11:10

If you must set your tailstock over why not use a plunger type DTI mounted in the toolpost and bearing on the tailstock barrel. Either adjust the tailstock to the correct indicator reading or maybe a safer method would be. Set to zero. Wind the cross slide out to show the required setover , clamp the cross slide and the saddle to prevent any accidental movement. Adjust the tailstock to read zero once more.

regards Martin

Thread: Power Cross Feed On A Myford ML7R
30/10/2018 09:01:02

Before you do anything would it be worth giving Myford a ring, telling them what you have and asking them to quote for an exchange super7 with PXF. It is going to cost you some extra money but you may find it's worth it and anyway it costs nothing to ask. I did an exchange a couple of years ago and it cost me £3000. I exchanged a Super7 without gearbox for a recon Super7 with gearbox and power cross feed. I kept my stand, Newton Tesla drive and Motor and all my tooling. As you have a gearbox on yours you should do better than this On the face of it it may be a lot just for the addition of PXF BUT you do end up with a reconditioned machine (full regrind etc) and its going to cost you some cash to source the parts for upgrading your lathe plus the faff factor in actually doing the work.

regards Martin

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
méridienne Nov 18
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
emcomachinetools
Sarik
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest