By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Martin Kyte

Here is a list of all the postings Martin Kyte has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Multimeter recommendations
26/09/2021 22:19:32

More usefull still is the safebloc with the autotransformer on the input side.

regards Martin

Thread: Material selection or additional process
25/09/2021 22:17:35

That is an overly large T bar for the size of square. I would say therein lies the main problem. Half that length would suffice. That and the hollow in the square from your centre dilling.

regards Martin

Thread: cutting spur gears on a mill
24/09/2021 08:50:27

Exactly John but thats not how it started.

regards Martin

23/09/2021 18:39:38

My point was the a suggestion as to the origins of circular pitch. So historically if it was about planting teeth around a circular disk or shaft by using hand tools and simple measuring tackle then it seems to me to be the origins of CP as a way of describing gears as it was essentially how you made them. The Anticythera machine was probably hand filed gear wise and certainly had some very unusual tooth counts. Gearing would be slow moving and sliding would definitely occur. Low friction gearing for clocks and rolling action for high speed power tramission would have been far into the future. Module and DP are better ways of doing things in the machinary age and as said dividing has long superceeded marking out.

regards Martin

23/09/2021 16:57:01

Could I suggest that circular pitch is actually more sensible when you think of someone cutting gears with a saw and a file. or inserting teeth into a wooden gear. Once you have your pitch circle you can then mark the positions of the gears by dividers. Draw your lines and then start cutting filing or whatever.

regards Martin

22/09/2021 12:45:35
Posted by Dave S on 22/09/2021 12:18:27:

I’ve gone involute for the clock because I wanted to explore the use of the “rotary Sunderland rack method” as a way to make gears.
That plus many naysayers telling me that a clock couldn’t possibly work with involute gearing as it’s not possible to gear up with involutes… I’m not sure how the gear knows

Dave

Fair enough. but as far as "how the gear knows" the system will see whatever frictional forces and wedging actions are inhearent in the design. Involutes work fine on large clocks especially where there is heaps of power. Cast Iron gearing is happy in tower clocks especially at the opposite end to the escapement and you don't immidiately think of cast iron beaing a clockmaking material. No ideal for chronometers though ;O)

regards Martin

Thread: Brass cleading
22/09/2021 11:53:37

Hi Bill try EKP

**LINK**

26 Guage in that size is probably available in shim stock so it's worth searching for that instead of sheet.

regards Martin

22/09/2021 11:40:54
Posted by Dave S on 22/09/2021 11:00:41:

Yes it’s a clock, and no I’m not sure.

These are the first gears I’ve ever cut, and I suspect that I should have profile shifted the wheels the opposite way to thin the teeth.

Still it’s all learning, and if they are depthed ok then they mesh ok - even if it’s not quite correct…

Will do better next time

Dave

No need to appologise, for many clock making situations tooth form will not matter a jot. Personally I like to use Thornton cutters and do use pinion cutters for pinions. Firstly because its easy and secondly I like the traditional cycloid tooth shape and flat bottom. I remember Alec Price lecturing on making clockwheel cutters and pointing out that old clocks had a variety of tooth profiles all made with shop made cutters and they all worked for many years successfully. If you are doing challenging horology like making watches or year going clocks then optimisation of friction really starts to matter otherwise so ling as you depth properly which basically means gettin each pair to run sweetly then you won't have too many issues. Swiss standards are more about allowing mass manufacture to function with interchangeble parts than anything else.

regards Martin

22/09/2021 09:42:43
Posted by Dave S on 22/09/2021 07:20:18:

The undercut is an unfortunate artefact of the process of making an involute gear.

I have made some 12 tooth pinions without undercutting by doing just that and they roll against the 144,96 and 90 tooth gears made with the exact same cutter perfectly.

Dave

Are you sure about that.? With low pinion counts undercutting provides clearance for the tip of the mating gear on the tooth exiting engagement. 12 tooth pinions and wheel counts of 90 96 and 144 sounds like clock wheels to me. I'm sure they can be made to work as you say but only by decreasing the engagemant. When a rack (or a hob) is used to generate an involute form it must of neccessity create the clearence it requires and with low tooth counts teeth are undercut.

regards Martin

Thread: Solar Panel Slew bearing, van hub?
21/09/2021 11:57:59

How about a closed ended tube inverted over a fixed bar. Large single ball bearing at the top end to take the thrust and a ball race at the bottom to control side wobble. Basically to stop the outer tube flapping about. The top ball needs to run in a reasonably deep seating above and below. easy enough to provide a flange at the lower end of the tube with a couple of bolted down stops just cler of the flange to prevent any lifting during high winds. Control arm for slewing can be attched to the outer tube.

Suggest monitoring a sunflower to generate the gimble demand angle.

regards Martin

Thread: brass tube
19/09/2021 17:41:10

Kennions (GLR) have 1.5" tube if you feel like making the weights a little longer. (30%)

regards Martin

Thread: Pendulum spring steel hangers
19/09/2021 16:45:41

Try and stick to the dimensions of the original as far as possible. Slightly thicker wont matter much. Source the material from either shim stock, feeler guages or take a look on the Cousins or Meadows and Passmore sites. Your best bet for creating holes is punching. Make a simple tool comprising a couple of pieces of steel plate doweled together with a nicely drilled and reamed hole/holes to take a silver steel punch. For one off use dont bother hardening. You will get a nice hole without raggedness or burrs to create failure points.

best of luck.

regards Martin

Thread: Clive Sinclar
16/09/2021 22:40:04

Not quite as good as creating something no-one knew they wanted and then convincing them they cannot live without it. Even I had to give in in the end and buy a mobile phone. It's almost at the stage where you can't even park a car without a mobile to pay the charges.

Seriously if they are giving prizes for firsts Clive must be up with the front runners.

regards Martin

Thread: Cylinder Head Combustion Chamber Template
16/09/2021 22:30:25

Posted by William Harvey 1 on 13/09/2021 20:43:15:

If I make the template first, how on earth do I ensure the holes for the valves are correctly located?

You clearly need to make the holes first then. It should be a simple task to find the valve guide separation.

Create identically spaced holes on your template material then form the outside profile. If you use thin perspex sheet you can see through to pick up the original profile.

regards Martin

Thread: TIG welded copper boilers
14/09/2021 12:52:59

Cost mainly. Silver solder is expensive so a professionally made boiler TIG welded is cheaper in materials.

Here is the firebox of my 5" King

img_4487.jpg

regards Martin

Thread: Saving the Planet or is it ?
14/09/2021 12:46:02

I have been getting my shopping online from Waitrose for a while now and always opted for bags (the cheap white ones). When I had packed the shopping away they always went over the fence to my next door neighbour who used them to fill with all his home grown vegetables which then went to all his customers. I guess we are going to have to come up with another scheme now. I abhor plastic in the ocean but there is no excuse for letting it get that far. Nothing should be 'thrown away' but entrained in the waste stream where it can be either recycled or disposed of in a proper manner. Banning all plastics is a bit knee jerk to me.

regards Martin

14/09/2021 09:13:05

I was commenting on tooth form not on the method brian.

That confirms what I thought Andrew. Which leads to another reason why free hobbing with taps is not terribly suitable for making gears as it limits you to quite high pressure angles. Nothing to stop you making your own hob but that makes the process more involved.

regards Martin

13/09/2021 20:55:31

So explain to me why it should not be an involute. Regular hobs have triangular teeth and generate involute forms. OK Free hobbing introduces errors but should be ay least an approximation to an involute. Pre gashed blanks will do better and give the correct number of teeth.

regards Martin

13/09/2021 16:26:22
Posted by JasonB on 13/09/2021 16:16:36:
I did try a staraght flute and that jumped a lot more so the theory that a spiral tooth will work better as there is always some engagement would seem to be true

A fine pitch and a reasonable sized blank works better with straight taps at least in my knurling wheel case.

regards Martin

13/09/2021 12:52:02
Posted by brian jones 11 on 13/09/2021 12:30:19:

this approach is far from new, and there are good reasons why it's never caught on

the method never caught on because it wont work with straight flutes, but then came JB and his spiral flute

ROTFLOL

Edited By brian jones 11 on 13/09/2021 12:35:04

Actually it does work with straight flutes. Used it myself to generate a curved knurling wheel for making brass terminals nuts on my Synchronome. I think I used a 4BA straight flute tap cutting a steel blank. I cannot remember now if it was silver steel or mild and then case hardened. The thumb nuts came out OK. I think I turned a circular profile groove in the blank first.

regards Martin

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Dreweatts
Warco
walker midge
cowells
JD Metals
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
rapid Direct
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest