By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Martin Kyte

Here is a list of all the postings Martin Kyte has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: I may be stupid but
24/06/2022 11:51:10

As has been said tightening all 3 for Jacobs chucks is the correct proceedure and will result in a lot less ruined drills which have slipped in the chuck. For 3 Jaw lathe chucks I only do this for tapping larger holes especially with BSW threads and even then there is a limit. 3 Jaw lathe chucks have quite a limited holding power.

regards Martin

Thread: A Mystery Stephenson Bridge
23/06/2022 18:49:39

You do get some odd things with civil engineering projects. If I've got this right Brunel designed a bridge for Clifton accross the Avon. He won the competition however the bridge was built after his death. It's always attributed to IKB which is OK when talking about the concept however the final bridge is a lot different than the one he originally drew and the engineering would have been executed by others.

regards Martin

Thread: Understanding chuck test certificates
22/06/2022 09:41:25

I got a set of soft jaws for a worn P and B chuck from Rotagrip for not very much money.

regrds Martin

Thread: Unusual Escapement
21/06/2022 16:36:38

That makes sense Duncan. Intuitively when the spherical pendulum does work the slowing of the angular velocity causes the bob to fall and the radius to reduce which transfers potential energy back into kinetic energy which moderates the loss of angular velocity which is what you said. I did look for the maths but as it hared off into Hamiltonians and Lagrangian mechanics I gave that up as a bad job.

regards Martin

21/06/2022 11:18:45

So if I've analysed this correctly (or at least some of it) after watching the Bond clock several times, it's a free pendulum clock with gravity escapement where the pendulum only unlocks the escapement. The conical pendulum at the top provides a constant velocity drive to reset the escapement, trigger the electrical contacts and drive the hands. In essence acting as a kind or remontoire. As has been said it's quite ingenious.

I'd be interested to read what others have spotted.

regards Martin

Thread: Is there an alloy that looks like copper but isnít?
20/06/2022 09:12:55

If you are going to machine BeCu then there is some guidance here.

**LINK**

Essentially the material is low hazard on solid form and provided the machining process generates largish chip then no special proceedures are required. Processes such as grinding which produce dust susceptable to being inhaled are however hazardous.

regards Martin

Thread: Moving v belts on pulleys ?
19/06/2022 17:03:30

Yes. Pull the belt down towards a smaller pulley and rotate the machine by hand. Always reinstate the belt on the smallest pulley last. Always use the correct length belts.

regards Martin

Thread: Thoriated tungsten electrodes
18/06/2022 14:00:05

Getting back to the Mercury question when things are banned or restricted it's helpfull to find out why. For example leaded solder being phased is driven by a desire to restrict the amount of lead going into landfill from consumer electronics rather than any particular hazard during use. Similarly Mercury in it's metalic elemental form is relatively safe. However it's not something that is good to have in the environment especially rivers and oceans where it gets into the food chain. Massively restricting the use of Mercury is really the only way of ensuring that more of the stuff doesn't end up in the environment.

regards Martin

18/06/2022 13:51:53

Back in the day when Laurence Bragg was in charge of the Royal Institution there was a visit from Marie Curie who brought a present of a flask of Radium in solution (of what I don't know). The stuff was proported to glow in the dark so Bragg, who lived in the flat on the site wandered down to the workshop to see if this was true and how bright it was. Being in dressing gown and slippers he unfortunately dropped the flask which broke and soaked into the floor. Some years later during a Lab refurbishment high levels of radioactivity were found around a particular bench which resulted in a large section of the floor being removed and disposed of.

Tales from the past are numerous and somewhat cringe making now the implications are better known.

The old Cavendish Lab in Cambridge had wooden block flooring which when walked on in certain areas caused small bubbles of Mercury to be squeezed up out of the cracks from all the spills over the years.

I'm told by a very reliable source that our lab once had an X-Ray technician who was in the habit of lining up the beam by eye. Literally, by looking down the beam untill he could feel the tingle!! as he made the adjustments.

On balance I'm glad I work now rather than then.

regards Martin

Edited By Martin Kyte on 18/06/2022 13:52:19

Edited By Martin Kyte on 18/06/2022 13:53:03

Edited By Martin Kyte on 18/06/2022 13:53:50

Thread: A TOPICAL point, FANS.
17/06/2022 20:20:58
Posted by roy entwistle on 17/06/2022 16:05:44:

WD 40 is not a lubricant

It is when you are turning or tapping aluminium.

regards martin

sort of depends what you mean by a lubricant

Thread: cutting a square end on a round shaft?
13/06/2022 16:19:48

Of course if you really want to be adventurous you could forge it.

(. . . yes I know, you actually wanted a real one).

regards Martin

Edited By Martin Kyte on 13/06/2022 16:20:20

Thread: Change of direct debit for MEW?
13/06/2022 13:32:56

You probably will get a notification from your bank too, I did.

regards Martin

Thread: Files,hacksaws etc
13/06/2022 08:57:40

Don't forget the humble cold chisel. Not sure they would be the go to tool for cutting keyways these days but very handy when used in an intelligent way.

regards Martin

Thread: JUN-AIR Compressor
07/06/2022 18:16:41

Bin it it's not worth repairing. The drain does extent to the bottom of the tank. I've had tanks on JUNAIR compressors 'let go' and the just go PSSSSSST. no drama. Usually along weld lines where the lugs attatch to the frame.

Air compressors are not like steam boilers and dont usually go bang in the smaller sizes.

regards Martin

Thread: Hardening clock pinions in EN8 steel
07/06/2022 10:23:21

Regarding use of tungsten carbide rod for pivots the advantages against turned pivots are to my mind and in order of importance.

1. Simplicity. So long as you can drill a concentric hole in the end of your arbour all that is required is to cement the rod in place.

2. The pivot will be smooth. No need to use a pivot file to remove turning marks and a subsequent burnisher to further refine the surface.

3. Very small diameter pivots can be produced.

4. The pivot is hard.

If you are really going to take advantage of this methodology then the use of endstones to control end float is desireable.

regards Martin

05/06/2022 13:38:49

EN24T is the other suggestion. Supplied hardened and tempered it will machine well and needs no further heat treatment. Incidentally silver steel is I think generally supplied half hard and annealing before pinion cutting will help both with the ease of machining and with surface finish.

As to the question harden or not, my understanding is that French clocks had hardened pinions whilst englissh clocks did not. The pertinant question to ask is why? At first glance you would assume that the reason was to make them wear resistant. However clock pinions do not run at high speeds and are generally lightly loaded but are however not lubricated. If you examine a clock that has run for a considerable time you will find that the brass wheels have cut into the steel pinions. The mechanism of this is that the brass acquires embedded dust in the surface of the wheel leaves and the brass leaves then act as a lap against the harder steel and gradually erode the pinion leaves. As this is a grinding process I don't think that hardened pinions would help much. Far better to ensure a closed dust free case or a protective glass dome.

My opionion of the reason for hardening and then "polishing" is to reduce friction, something of the greatest desire in clockmaking. Although hardening does not change the co-efficient of friction much in steel generally it is assumed that harder matherial have less friction than softer, I think the hardened pinion will take and hold a polish better than the pinion in the soft state and will be much less likely to pick up any of the lapping material used in the polishing.

The above is to an extent speculation on my part as I have no experimental evidence for all this so I would be interested in the comments of fellow and perhapse more knowledgable clockmakers.

regards Martin

Thread: The Correct Way To Sharpen Drill Bits Using A Picador Drill Sharpening Jig With Custom Base
02/06/2022 22:31:56

Our Lab workshop wheels are dressed to a taper on the side of the wheel for probably a couple of inches which not only addresses the issue of undercutting but generates a surface that runs true. The fact that the surface is slightly conical in form matter very little.

regards Martin

Thread: Early Super 7
01/06/2022 22:29:00

Not as good as the individual list of who bought what and when but the dating of Myfords can be done by the list of Serial No's here:-

**LINK**

regards Martin

Thread: Bearings or bushed
31/05/2022 21:25:31

Whats wrong with a between centres arrangement. Easy to dismantle.

regards Martin

Thread: What is "Mathematics"
31/05/2022 12:04:39
Posted by Frances IoM on 31/05/2022 09:56:04:
I prefer, even as an engineer though I did train as a physicist, that Mathematics is a pure human invention based on axioms

Edited By Frances IoM on 31/05/2022 09:56:50

Hi Fraances

Certainly the notation and language of Maths is invented but the Maths is maybe discovered? Hard to argue that Primes were invented.

regards Martin

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
cowells
Dreweatts
Rapid RC
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest