By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Martin Kyte

Here is a list of all the postings Martin Kyte has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Hand cleaner
11/05/2021 20:57:41

eat sandwiches

make pastry

make bread

regards Martin

;O)

Thread: Machining soft jaws
11/05/2021 13:08:13

Thats not the idea with soft jaws. They are soft so you can machine them true for fixed diameters not so they will not mark the part.

The idea with soft jaws is to machine to fit the size of the part you wish to hold. So for example if you wanted to hold a thin 1 inch disk truly concentric hold a small bar right inside the jaws (sub flush) and tighten. Bore the tops of the jaws 1" dia a little under the tickness of your part. When you release the jaws you will be able to hold your disc true to it's circumference and as it is back against the recess in the jaws with no wobble. As the chuck has not been removed from the lathe and the recess was bored at that diameter everything will be spot on for as many discs as you need to machine but only for that diameter.. You need to do this each time for different diameters and shapes of part.

regards Martin

PS Jason beat me to it.

Edited By Martin Kyte on 11/05/2021 13:09:25

Thread: Myford Super 7 apron seized??
11/05/2021 12:56:11

fair enough.

regards Martin

11/05/2021 11:48:12

You are correct (KWIL) that he half nuts cam is in an eccentric mount but as this has not been touched it is reasonable to assume that it is where it should be.

regards Martin

11/05/2021 10:36:27
Posted by John Haine on 11/05/2021 10:14:16:He clearly wasn't surprised at the question and had a ready answer so I guess there is a design flaw leading to some misalignment.

I don't think it's a design fault, moving the saddle to the fixed end of the leadscrew ensures that the leadscrew is central to the bearings and reasonably rigid so that the saddle will self centre on the half nuts. If you do it in the middle the leadscrew is more flexible and the nuts may move the leadscrew rather than the leadscrew moving the saddle assembly. It's no different really from the technique for bolting the cross slide end plate back on. Screw right in so that the end plate is close to the nut and nip the bolts up.

regards Martin

Thread: Dangerous eBay listings can be removed by regulators
10/05/2021 13:18:37

If I was trying to sell an item that I knew to be dangerous on eBay then I aught to know better and shouldn't be surprised if the advert was taken down. If I was selling a Myford for example that had a Drummond switch I would remove it and just sell the lathe.

In practice I suspect that aBay are being compliant by taking reasonable steps to ensure personal safety. I doubt actually if this will make any difference to us as Model Engineers.

regards Martin

Thread: Cutting holes in copper
09/05/2021 19:05:03

Brad point drills work well in copper. Nothing wrong with the boring head idea.

regards Martin

Thread: Rite Time Publishing
07/05/2021 22:40:47

No Idea about Rite Time but Ian Cobb sells Johns Clock Books if that is what you are after. It is a little strange if Rite Time are no more, the current issue of Model Engineer has an advert for them. Have you tried the telephone number.

+44 (0) 1420 487747

regards Martin

Thread: Macro-photography
05/05/2021 21:12:24

On the theme of MacroPhotography here are the finalists from our Lab's Science imaging competition.

As part of the LMB’s Microscope for Schools outreach project, the Science Image Award is a competition aiming to stimulate scientific curiosity in primary school children by connecting the microscopic world to everyday life. Each compeating primary school is loaned a hand held microscope camera and they submit their best images.

Results can be seen here:-

**LINK**

Great to see children getting so enthused.

regards Martin

Thread: Repair It? Wossat Mean, Like?
05/05/2021 08:28:53
Posted by Nigel Graham 2 on 04/05/2021 21:05:22:

I think there are two other shameless practices that ought be stamped on.

One is the price-by-use fraud, typical of major car manufacturers, whereby an identical part is priced according to the particular make and model that uses it. It was an Audi/VW dealer who told me this - VW's main spares warehouse is twinned with one labelled 'Audi', and the same parts are much pricier in the latter. If bought-in components they are likely to be much costlier than the same ones in boxes labelled as say, Ford, spares. To disguise the fact, the parts are given identity-numbers by different systems. These companies are by no means alone in it though; and the insurers are in cahoots with the racket by their insistence on using only the main-dealers' OEM supplies.

That's just progressive taxation. I approve of the gentle pressure to buy cheaper cars.

regards Martin

Thread: Vitamin B12 / Pernicious Anaemia
04/05/2021 15:38:06

Maybe you need one of these.

8572-1.jpg

but maybe it would provide more Iron and Coper than B12 even though "it are one"

regards Martin

Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
02/05/2021 16:58:41
Posted by martin perman on 02/05/2021 16:49:42:

Today I've been behaving like the cuckoo from a cuckoo clock, the weather has been fair to middling and I've been popping in and out to see what the aircraft were I've been hearing, it turns out that Shuttleworth, I'm only four miles as the crow flies, have had their first Airshow today, I've not been to an Airshow for years so had a look at the Shuttleworth web site to see how much tickets are and it appears that you not only need a mortgage to buy tickets but you have to rent a piece of land as well, standing on my own land looks like the better option at the moment smiley

Martin P

I can think of worst ways to spend your money. ;O)

regards Martin

Thread: Workshop and Drilling holes with an ER collet chuck
02/05/2021 11:08:33

I'd lay odds that all those comments about scored shanks using drill chucks are people who only use one key position. I used to do that but now I tighten all three as a matter of course and never have had a drill slip in the chuck since.

regards Martin

PS ER collets can hold drills when you require it.

Thread: Interesting old chisels
01/05/2021 22:14:25

As Dave Halford says the bottom one is a old style locksmiths mortice chisel known as a pig sticker.

regards Martin

Thread: Mt3 extension for tailstock
01/05/2021 19:13:26

How does that improve the reach? Isn't it like having a lathe with a shorter bed?

regards Martin

Thread: Soldering a mitred tube?
30/04/2021 13:27:37

Looks fine from what I can see.

Well done.

regards Martin

30/04/2021 13:14:17
Posted by Bob Stevenson on 30/04/2021 12:42:25:

....Here we go again with the 'joints for silver solder thing'!.......you will get the best results with a very close fitting joint as the molten solder flows like Micheal said, by capillary action......When molten the silver solder is VERY fluid and does NOT readily fill joints.......

Edited By Bob Stevenson on 30/04/2021 12:43:49

Totally agree Bob. I didn't mean a wide gap just a fag paper worth.

regards Martin

30/04/2021 10:52:46

You do need a gap to allow the solder to wick into the joint so beware of butting the tubes up too tight.

regards Martin

Thread: Problems trying to sell-on a 'Swiss' Army knife
29/04/2021 14:55:11
Posted by Nick Clarke 3 on 29/04/2021 14:12:10:
Posted by Samsaranda on 29/04/2021 14:06:09:

I have to say that Amazon are on the ball when it comes to the regulations concerning bladed items, ordered some Stanley knife blades and they arrived this morning, the delivery person wouldn’t hand them over until he had verified my age by giving him my date of birth, I must look younger than my 74 years! Dave W

When I take booze through the supermarket till and you see them having to press the verify button on the screen to confirm I am old enough it makes me laugh - mind you I am a bit younger than you and they *NEVER* have asked me if I am old enough - I must look aged!

Are you sure they are not confirming that they are old enough to sell it to you? Under 18's have to be supervised to sell booze.

regards Martin

Thread: Loctite and quartering wheels
28/04/2021 16:25:47

Looking at the graphs on the data sheets the curing time is longer at lower temperatures so by assumption the open time should be longer too. Maybe choose a nice cold morning and switch the workshop heating off overnight?

regards Martin

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Warco
JD Metals
emcomachinetools
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest