By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Martin Kyte

Here is a list of all the postings Martin Kyte has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Myford Change Gear trouble
16/07/2019 17:09:06

It looks like you need to fit a spacer between the two change wheels on the quadrent. Myford supply such an item which is used on most wheel set up's on non gearbox series 7 lathes to provide clearence and stop the change wheels rubbing. It looks like a penny washer with a cut out for the key so you can slide it onto the stud. If you have a set of change wheels you should have one.

regards Martin

Thread: Yet another "parting off grief" thread ;)
16/07/2019 14:49:38

Chip betwixt tip and work?

Martin

Thread: Kennions Excellent Service
16/07/2019 14:42:34

That is really not remarkable.

Kennions always do that, which is.

I have been using them for years.

regards Martin

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
15/07/2019 14:56:46

Some comments on hardwood and softwood.

Wood is a little wierd when it comes to hardwood/softwood classification. Hardwoods are all angiospems (flowering and seed bearing) and softwoods which are gymnosperms, generally producing seed bearing cones or seeds with no covering. So loosely there are fir trees (softwood) and deciduous (hardwoods).

This classification makes balsa which is a hardwood but physically softer than the softwoods. Conversely Yew is a softwood which is considerably harder than many hardwoods.

Softwoods have long cell structures compared to cell width and hardwoods have shorter cell structures. If a tree is fast growing it's grain structure tends to be more coarse whilst slower growing trees tend to be finer grained.

Confused?

A good place to start is to google woodcarvers and woodturners favourite materials. If you can carve it or turn it it's usually fine grained, easy to work, will hold detail and take a finish well.

regards Martin

15/07/2019 13:43:25

Hi Swarf

You don't need to chop old tools (or even new ones) about to get hold of boxwood. Any decent woodturners supplyer will sort you out. For example

**LINK**

regards Martin

15/07/2019 11:39:55

Finished a John Wilding Scroll clock (currently ticking away beneath it's dome in the atrium at work as part of our LabArt show, and paid the final installment on the 5" GWR KING boiler.

regards Martin

Thread: Myford Super 7 Spindle Lock
10/07/2019 09:01:18

As has already been said Super 7's have a built in spindle lock to the rear of the headstock behind the change wheel casing. It locks the pully cluster to the headstock casting. Amazing how many people don't know its there.

regards Martin

Thread: Main spring
08/07/2019 11:33:29

Mainspring 'jumping' shows the spring is need of cleaning and relubricating. Do be carefull if you intend taking it out of the barrel although you should be able to do a reasonable wash out with solvent. Relubricate with a dribble of motor oil on the edge of the coil, it will work it's way in. You need to ensure that all the pivots are lubricated too with clock oil.

regards Martin

Thread: Source of plastic rod
03/07/2019 16:17:05

or Axminster Tools

**LINK**

regards martin

Thread: Scraping
26/06/2019 15:06:56

Yes but you do should always take into consideration context. It is language after all the ambiguity of which is demonstrated by it's ability to create a niche market for lawyers to argue meaning.

"I know that you heard what I said but you don't seem to have heard what I mean" is an oft used cry.

regards Martin

26/06/2019 12:41:11
Posted by Hopper on 26/06/2019 00:09:27:

Who let the cunning linguists in? Frosting is a variety of scraping. It's done with a scraper. It's covered in every good book or training course on scraping.

Edited By Hopper on 26/06/2019 00:24:17

I did say that.

I was answering the question why scrape a prescision ground surface. Because you are not scraping to achieve flatness you are frosting to hold oil. Calling both scraping(which I agree they both are to some extent) is what caused the confusion so in order to indicate the purpose it's better use the term frosting.

I would be correct to call you an ape but more accurate and descriminating not to say polite to call you a human being.

So sometimes the employment of accurate terminolgy is about better communication and not just showing away etymologigal prowess (.....he said tongue in cheek).

regards Martin

Thread: Electricity Supply
26/06/2019 11:58:37

The first thing I would do for an electric vehicle is ensure that the bonnet and roof are themselves photo-voltaic. Most cars spend much of their days outside so why not harvest what you can. It's not going to make the vehicle self sustaining but it reduces the overall charging burden.

I will make one prediction though and that is the next generation battery technology is likely to be designed around synthetic biological systems.

regards Martin

Thread: Superheaters in the Firebox
26/06/2019 11:39:36

Thanks Duncan. Down loaded the articles from the archive.

My gut feeling so far is 2 inches shy of the back of the firebox in order to preseve clearance for the firehole.

The original design called for non radiant superheater elements so this has to be an improvement not least beacause it will improve gas flow into the superheater tubes by not having the end blocks clogging up the space just the two tubes of the elements.

regards Martin

25/06/2019 12:58:45

Don't suppose you know what issues that series were in (approx). I'll have a read.

regards Martin

Thread: Scraping
25/06/2019 09:18:49
Posted by George Scopel on 24/06/2019 20:22:02:

Hi

Can someone advise how to perform the scraping process in matching two sliding surfaces?

Also, why is this method used ? the machines used to grind a lathes bed would or at least I thought create a suitably smooth uniform finish, yet the process of rubbing blue onto the saddles and use a scraper to fine tune the mating surfaces is still necessary.

Thank you

George

Isn't Scraping the process of achiving truly flat mating surfaces and Frosting the process of creating minute shallow pockets to hold oil? So really a ground surface would not be scraped but frosted (even though you do it with a scraper).

Just saying ;0)

regards Martin

Thread: Superheaters in the Firebox
25/06/2019 09:08:07

Hi Chaps.

The boiler is being constructed by Steam Technology down in Kent. They have been at the previous 2 Doncaster shows. Talking to Ryan last week they started building copper welded boilers well over 10 years ago and it is true that initially at least some club boiler inspectors didn't quite know what to make of them. As a commercial build it comes certificated.

As to cylinder and piston material they are in Cast Iron.

On the Perrier design the centre of the superheater tubes is level with the top of the firehole ring so going right to the back would obscure the firehole to some extent so the superheaters are going to have to stop at least an inch shy of the end.

There must come a point where any additional length of superheater tube in the firebox ceases to add to the degree of superheat so I was wondering if people had a feel for that.

As mentioned the firebox is 10 inches long so even if they stopped 2 inches short of the back would give an out and return length of 16 inches which is a fair lenth of tube to acheive reasonable thermal equilibrium but maybe someone has done some sums.

regards Martin

24/06/2019 16:11:05

Some pictures of the progress in my Album. Here is a sample.

img_4487.jpg

24/06/2019 15:43:16

That's one idea Duncan. Thanks.

I'd still like to hear what others have done.

regards Martin

24/06/2019 14:56:56

bump

24/06/2019 11:27:53

bump

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
TRANSWAVE Converters
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
Meridienne Sept 2019
Sarik
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest