By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Martin Kyte

Here is a list of all the postings Martin Kyte has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: stepper driver
26/03/2019 14:12:48

Excitation is microspepping as you say. Stop current would be standby or holding current when not stepping. Set as low as you like to provide enough of a 'detent'. It's a worm drive so it's unlikely to move anyhow.

Don't know about the decay setting. I'd set it to 25% and see how you go. (tune for minimum buzz and check you are not losing any steps. What's the part number?

regards Martin

Thread: Precision division plates
06/03/2019 14:59:55

Nice one Mike.

06/03/2019 14:56:41

Fair comment Adrian regarding gear, shows I wasn't really thinking about that bit.

But back to your sun. The edge is not sharply defined. The telescope you use will have a limit to it's resolution. You have atmospheric distortion to consider. The rotaion of the earth is not constant. You have stabilty effects. The angular size of the sun is about 0.5 degrees so you need to fix the edge or the centre to better than 0.05 % of the disc to get an accuracy of 1 arc sec (if my maths is right) and the distortion in the atmosphere is going to be worse than that when the sun's out . Far better off using a big disc with graduations round the edge or ball bearings as has been suggested.

At least with the mirror and the wall you can put the wall as far away as you like to get the accuracy you want.

)

Martin

06/03/2019 13:16:17

OK I'll bite

1. The sun is not a point object so you have to assess the centre of the disc.

2. You are still essentially measuring angles when you really want to measure distance of arc.

Suggestion 1

Ditch the sun and use a star

Suggestion 2

Ditch the astronomy and reduce to movements you can measure directly such as.

Fit a mirror to the centre of the plate and bounce a laser beam off it so that the beam is projected onto a distant wall. Make a mark.

Measure the distance to the wall from the mirror. Calculate how far you need the spot to move to give you your required angle. Make a second mark on the wall at that distanceTurn the plate so that the spot falls on the new mark. Drill your hole or cut your tooth. adjust the mirror so that the spot falls on the first mark again and repeat.

Or you may like to think that you could make a second worm wheel from your supposedly inaccurate head which by the logic of your first paragraph is going to be 40 times as good as the old one.

regards Martin

Thread: Lathe screwcutting
06/03/2019 11:11:34

Are you using any cutting oil?

Martin

Thread: Just Done Something Stupid!!
06/03/2019 10:04:52

Purely as an academic question as you have settled on a solution.

What would people think about fitting an additional access bush in the crown. One could drill the required holes in the original steam pipe through the hole and then fit a bush and blanking plug. I don't know how bothered boiler inspectors get about additional bushes. Not very I suspect and of course there needs to be space in which to fit the said bush.

regards Martin

Thread: Silver soldering a blind 'mortise and tenon' joint.
05/03/2019 08:57:41

I wouldn't bother with the thread just a cylindrical loctite joint.

regards Martin

Thread: Machining cork!
05/03/2019 08:55:46

Razer blada mounted vertically. Feed slowly and run the lathe fast. Essentially you take small slices from the face of the cork to full depth required. Either Geo Thomas or more probably Tubal Cain described this eons ago. Works on rubber too.

Martin

Thread: Myford S7 countershaft bush temperature
05/03/2019 08:46:49
Posted by Mike Crossfield on 04/03/2019 22:41:02:

Thanks Maurice

I suspect that the factory used some some kind of piloted reamer. I will have to give this some more thought.

I suspect that the 'factory' just pressed the bushes in and left it at that.

regards Martin

Thread: Window deflection query
04/03/2019 12:41:43

We have a 'glass wall' of 2m hight architectural glass panels around our rooftop restaraunt at work which are cantelever supported at the bottom edge. They move a good 2-3 inches at the top in a strong wind. I suspect most of the 'worry' is because we intuitlively think of glass as rigid.

regards Martin

Thread: Can opener - the holy grail in engineering?
04/03/2019 09:43:26

You need a Bonzer. They are indestructable. Trouble is you really need a farmhouse table to mount it on.

Martin

https://www.mitchellcooper.co.uk/kitchenware/utensils/bonzer-ez40-can-opener-10081

Edited By Martin Kyte on 04/03/2019 09:45:04

Thread: Myford S7 countershaft bush temperature
25/02/2019 12:03:34

You could slacken off the spindle drive belt a little. Those link belts are a bit stretchy to my mind and can be deceptive as to tension. They grip quite well so they don't need to be any tighter than needs be. So long as then are not slipping under normal conditions it's no bad thing to have the belt slip when something goes wrong.

regards Martin

Thread: New Bush - steel, brass or...?
20/02/2019 14:55:18

Generally best to use dissimilar metals. I'd go for brass. Lubrication would be a step forwards though.

)

20/02/2019 13:59:40

Well if it's Heath Robinson, Lignum Vitae would be more in keeping. Seriously what usually happens is hard particles embed in the softer material which then wears the harder surface. Old clocks do it. Dust particles embed in the brass clock wheels and erode the hardened steel pinions. How long did it take to wear out with the original configuration. If it's 10 years or so you may as well just do the same as last time.

regards Martin

Thread: Myford cross slide backlash
20/02/2019 09:24:36

Adjusting the collar will take the backlash out of the cross-slide bracket/leadscrew interface with the proviso that as it needs to turn freely it will need some clearance. It can do nothing for the backlash between the leadscrew nut and the leadscrew.

regards Martin

Thread: 3 Jaw self centering ER chuck
20/02/2019 09:15:20

I think if you have a cnc machine with an air operated 3 jaw chuck then with the addition of 3 special jaws you have an adaptor to take the full range of ER collets and can safely hold thin walled tube. Not a bad result for not much outlay.

regards Martin

20/02/2019 08:47:33

Are the jaws air operated ?

Martin

20/02/2019 08:37:29

Looks like it would be optimum for a fixed diameter only.

regards Martin

Thread: which mill
19/02/2019 08:42:58

Streach to the VMC even if you have to wait a little before upgrading to DRO.

regards Martin

Thread: Tube Seam
18/02/2019 12:19:19
Posted by Bazyle on 18/02/2019 11:33:53:

Pipe is also a software term. Just as well we have gone to flat screen TVs, even curved flat screens, to avoid confusion with the cathode ray pipe TVs.
In case you are wondering Youpipe.com is taken but Youpipe.co.uk is available if you want to set up a site specially for videos of long thin tanks. cool

Certainly is. In USB comunications it is used in the sense of an abstract entity describing a data flow and is defined in terms of it's endpoints when configured An unconfigured endpoint is called an endpoint while a configured endpoint is called a pipe. Which fits nicely with my preferrence of pipe as a functional term.

Martin

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
Warco
Sarik
Allendale Electronics
TRANSWAVE Converters
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest