By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Dennis Rayner

Here is a list of all the postings Dennis Rayner has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Suppliers of Copper Boilers
27/07/2010 16:29:02
Hi Nigel,

I was about to post that I hadn't received your message but I've just seen the box called My Messages (1). (Sorry, I'm new to this forum) Your reply is very useful and I shall follow it up. Out of interest, I've just got 2 quotes for a silver soldered copper boiler which knock about £1,000 of the original quote. Still a lot of money.

Dennis
27/07/2010 08:08:52
I've now got quotes from 3 boilermakers and the spread on price is no more than 10%. I spoke to Maxitrak about welded copper and he said the price for welded copper was about the same as for conventional silver soldered - perhaps I should have gone to steam-technology direct? Maxitrack also said the only way to get the price down was to have it made in steel. I have no experience/understanding of running a steel boiler but have 30 years experience of running a self -made copper boiler in Boxhill - no problems.

Would a steel boiler be suitable for use on a small private garden railway with only occasional use and perhaps no use at all during 4 winter months?  
25/07/2010 06:51:29
Nigel

I could certainly look into the possibilty of a steel boiler but I start with the same problem as the copper boiler - I don't know who makes them.

For starters, who made your one?

Dennnis
24/07/2010 21:24:43
I am building a 7¼" gauge Hunslet to the Reeves Elidir design. I have reached the stage where I need to consider procuring the boiler and have got my first quote - £3,850 !!!!!!!. That is about 50% of the value of the finished loco. In the last 2 weeks I have emailed 3 other suppliers asking for price and delivery and have not received a single reply!

Can anyone advise me of suppliers of such a boiler that I might contact, particularly if they have any experience of their work,

Many thanks 
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Rapid RC
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Dreweatts
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest