By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Dennis Rayner

Here is a list of all the postings Dennis Rayner has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Flashing red LED lights
14/06/2018 13:52:34

I bought a couple of these at the Bristol exhibition last year and now I want to buy some more. Does anyone recognise them and who I might have bought them from?

20180614_133441.jpg

Thread: 10 inch Mortar Scale Model
26/04/2018 16:51:06

May I suggest, as someone who used to work there, that a visit to Fort Nelson which overlooks Portsmouth is well worth a visit. It houses the Royal Armouries collection of artillery with hundreds of exhibits ranging chronologically from a gun from 1436 through to parts of the Iraq "supergun". As you approach the Fort you will see the huge Mallet's mortar which could be dismantled for transport.

As a bonus, entrance is free!

Thread: Loco nameplates
21/03/2018 14:53:52

You could try Guilplates - I've just used them for some works plates. No website but see **LINK** Very reasonable prices.

Thread: Asbestos sheet substitute?
19/02/2018 11:11:06

That's a real Rolls Royce solution effectively creating a new concrete gravel board at a lower level.

Sadly I'm on a Trabant budget!

Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

18/02/2018 21:42:14

That's most kind but I really need a flat material. Thanks for the offer anyway.

18/02/2018 17:11:11

Weeds!!! In our garden? You have obviously never met my wife!

18/02/2018 15:39:24

Hope the picture will show the problem. The bottom of the concrete gravel board is about 3" too high. The track is very close to it. Soil or gravel will not allow me to infill the gap with track ballast without becoming messy i.e. a firm edge to the track ballast is needed. Bricks may be OK but may be too wide. I suppose slate would do the job. I only mentioned asbestos sheet at the beginning as the sort of thing I was looking for. Soffit board is in the lead at the moment.20180218_151945.jpg

17/02/2018 14:39:35

I received my sample and, as Samsaranda said, it is impervious to water. I have left it in a bucket of water however in order to ensure there is no delamination of the grey upvc from the foam core. All seems well so I will now order soffit boards for the whole job.

Many thanks for all the help and advice given in this matter.

15/02/2018 10:26:58

It seems as if soffit board may be the answer **LINK** but as it is foam filled I have concern about immersion in wet ground. I have ordered a sample to test by soaking in a bucket of water over a few days.

12/02/2018 12:40:38

I think this analysis of the problem is spot-on. I started off with the hope that the construction industry had something off the shelf that I could use but it doesn't look promising. Some years ago I replaced the rotten tantalised 8 year old 4" x 1" timber which formed a barrier between my lawn and my ballasted track with similarly sized recycled plastic which looks like a permanent solution to that problem. The problem I have now is finding a suitable plastic material (6mm X 150mm x 1350mm (10 off) at an acceptable price. I'm on it!

12/02/2018 08:13:40

The problem is that this material is going to be in contact with the ground all the time. Undercloak has failed and I suspect that the boards intended for tiling over are not intended to get wet once they have been tiled over and grouted. Many years ago I had a shed with a timber frame and flat sheet asbestos panels. I'm looking for the follow up product in an asbestos-free world. Most of the stuff I've found so far is corrugated.

11/02/2018 11:27:53

Many thanks for that - lots of hits as you say.

Dennis

10/02/2018 13:12:32

I'm looking for a sheet material (6mm thickish?) to go into the ground in front of fencing concrete gravel boards to bridge a bit of a gap to the ground. I've tried builders undercloak but it doesn't have any wet strength. I wondered if anyone had had any experience of such a material? I've tried Googling "asbestos sheet substitute" and haven't really got anywhere.

Thread: Linear actuator wiring
08/01/2018 16:40:00

Thanks very much for the replies - after overnight deliberation I have decided to forget the 2 switches and go with this **LINK** Only time will tell if that is a good decision or not. Thanks again for your helpful comments.

Edited By Dennis Rayner on 08/01/2018 16:40:33

07/01/2018 17:03:09

I'm about to buy one of these **LINK** to operate a point but I want to put a switch by the side of the track from each direction so I can switch the point when approaching from each direction. I wondered if anybody could confirm if this is feasible and, and if so, what type of switches and wiring I would need?

Thread: Acorn rake
24/09/2017 15:46:44

I am the sole owner of a 200 year old oak. This year is (sadly) a bumper year for acorns. My Bosch rotary mower doesn't pick up many fresh acorns because (it seems) they are too heavy. When they dry out a bit the mower picks them up. In the meantime I have to use an adjustable steel spring tine rake to do the job which has the advantage of scarifying the lawn but is pretty exhausting. If anybody has a better solution to this problem I would love to hear about it.

Thread: Fareham & District Model Engineers Open Day 2014
23/07/2017 13:42:25

Perhaps I should have updated the date in the subject. For anyone in the south who may be interested I have now discovered that their website is www.fdsme.org.uk and their open weekend is always the last complete weekend in July. That means that it is next weekend.

07/07/2017 21:32:21

I'm embarrased by having to ask again... Does anyone know if they are having an open day this year? It's so difficult to find any publicity about it.

Thread: Modification to an ebay sourced electronic controller
29/05/2017 10:39:39

Well this has proved to be a lot more complicated than I expected! Thanks for all the thought provoking comment which has taken me to the conclusion that (adhering to the KISS philosophy) I should start off by using the 270 degree pot. supplied with the cotroller. It was cheap and, if it doesn't prove satisfactory in my application, I will consider going down the full 4QD route.

Thanks again to all.

28/05/2017 17:33:07

As has been pointed out, the existing pot is connected to the circuit board by a micro 3 pin plug so there is no physical problem in changing it. The thing is that I have experience of the 4QD spring return 50 degree movement pot (they call it a throttle) and it works a treat as a Dead Mans handle which is especially useful (and safe) with children driving on my garden railway. 4QD only offer it in 10K form and I think I might give them a ring onTuesday to see if they are able to offer it in 90K (or more likely 100K)

Thanks for all the responses.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Dreweatts
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Rapid RC
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest