By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Dennis Rayner

Here is a list of all the postings Dennis Rayner has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: LED bulbs
24/03/2022 13:39:35

Thanks for the very interesting posts. I am virtually all LED now but what a huge box of spare bulbs I now have. Four different bases, I don't know how many shapes and all the different wattages (let alone Lumens and temperature!) Life used to be so much simpler. I've just had my latest communication from Octopus (I was switched from Avro) and was staggered to find that Electric supplied KWhrs are now FIVE times the cost of Gas supplied ones. I'm so glad that I've converted to LEDs notwithstanding all the hassle.

23/03/2022 16:36:21

How do with people deal with LED bulbs that don't last 25,000 hours (or 25 years?) When they fail after 2 - 3 years and any receipt has long gone to recycling how do you proceed? I'm getting fed up with taking it on the chin and binning them with a C'est la vie approach.

Thread: Q-cut instructions
29/11/2021 14:55:31

I'd be surprised if a phone call to JB Cutting Tools didn't provide an immediate answer.

Thread: Cheap machine & equipment cover
28/12/2020 14:30:04

This replaces the cotton sheets I was using previously as i found dust came through them - hence my interest in the plastic coating to make them impervious. Even a commercial dust sheet from Screwfix let dust through over time. In my garage (integral to the house) rust is not a problem.

28/12/2020 11:46:53

Perhaps I should have included a picture to illustrate what I meant. All this for £7.img_20201228_113526297.jpg

27/12/2020 15:37:40

I've recently bought one of these No Nonsense Poly-Backed Dust Sheet 12' x 9' | Dust Sheets | Screwfix.com for £12. It's yielded covers for my ML7, Dore Westbury and my ¼ scale Hunslet with lots left over. Cuts easily with scissors and the Poly layer is bonded to the cotton so no need to hem. Laid with the poly layer outside it seems a cheap solution to protecting valuable items. In my case these are in a garage integral to the house.

Thread: Boxing Day Tidying
26/12/2020 13:45:44

My biggest problem in workshop tidying is my reluctance to throw anything away - therefore I have to find a home for what I'm saving and (even more difficult) remember where I've put the things in the months/years to come!

As a simple example of my present dilemma I have 2 perfectly good lighting dimmers which were replaced by 2 (cosmetically and colour-wise improved) new ones. I find it so hard to put the old ones in the bin.

Thread: Where do the parcels go ?
12/12/2020 12:26:49

I have to say that, over many years, I have never had a problem with Hermes. Having spent a portion of my working life in market research I can tell you that people have a much greater tendency to complain than to praise. I'd be surprised to find that Hermes are significantly different to other couriers with the occasional failure. In the present circumstances I would expect some increase in the failure rate.

Thread: In praise of M-Machine
26/09/2020 10:53:48

I had a mishap in the workshop (what's new!) and urgently needed a bit of BMS to rectify the problem. I phoned M-Machine at 15:30 yesterday (Friday) and the item arrived at 8:30 this morning superbly packed. Fantastic service at a very reasonable price. First time I've used them and usual disclaimer.

Thread: Bulbs
17/02/2020 15:29:05

And try explaining to older folk that you don't buy bulbs by wattage anymore - it's LUMENS!!

Thread: The Engineers Emporium - Red Wing hit and miss engine
28/12/2019 16:43:02

I kept this link because I have been thinking about building one of these for some time. I'm alternatively considering the Economy engine which is also from Engineers Emporium. https://modelengineeringwebsite.com/Economy_engine_1.html

28/12/2019 08:47:46

I just wondered if you were aware of https://www.rcdon.com/html/red_wing_engine_project.html

Thread: Hip replacement - End of live steam?
04/02/2019 15:27:56

This must be the oldest thread resurrection ever. Seven years after it was last active, I have finally had my hip replacement. The delay was not down to any problem with the NHS but due to the fact that the pain failed to get bad enough to justify the procedure until about 6 months ago and I had the op. on November 20th last year. The surgeon passed me as OK to go a week ago including looking at the attached picture and saying he was happy with that position providing my legs were apart (which they are each side of the truck). I'm posting this now to thank people for the encouragement given previously and to add my own experiences in case any one else is harbouring the same concerns as I was. I am now absolutely pain-free and enjoying our wonderful hobby as much as ever. vlcsnap-2019-01-16-11h48m07s322.jpg

Thread: 7" gauge Duke of Gloucester
14/01/2019 16:08:16

That's exactly it - thanks very much. I didn't think of Youtube because I thought I'd seen it in a social media site.

Thanks again

14/01/2019 15:34:26

Within the last few weeks I have seen (on the internet somewhere!

) a video showing the boiler-less model of Denis Evans' fabulous model running on air with all the gearboxes etc. on show. Now I cannot find the video and just wondered if anybody had a link?

Many thanks

Thread: A tale of two suppliers
04/10/2018 16:49:29

Used to visit and buy from Tracey Tools when they were in Isleworth! Can't say when that was but it was a long while ago. Always been a pleasure to do business with and excellent VFM.

Thread: Flashing red LED lights
17/06/2018 17:08:38

Thanks Roy but I was after these specific ones. I have made brackets for all of my rolling stock and I use these ones as tail lights.They just slot in.

17/06/2018 15:35:29

Thanks very much Chris - ordered!

17/06/2018 14:31:58

Do you have an ebay number Chris?

17/06/2018 10:55:14

No luck so far with the suggestions (thanks anyway) but I think I found the supplier from dragged-up memory and they are going to check on their stock position on Monday.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Dreweatts
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Rapid RC
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest