By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Weary

Here is a list of all the postings Weary has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Loctite and quartering wheels
28/04/2021 11:41:39

Heating the joint (gently!) to a little over 250 degrees C will release the grip of the loctite. Any residue can be easily cleaned-off.

I would persevere with 638 as it is ideal for your intended use, and your first two attempts went well. Confidence and speed will win-out.

Regards,

Phil

('Hopper' types more quickly than I)

Edited By Weary on 28/04/2021 11:42:56

Thread: Rex Tingley Valveless design
22/04/2021 21:21:30

The principle of method of functioning is that the piston runs within an inner cylinder which itself slides back and forth within an outer cylinder. The inner cylinder has ports drilled in it which at certain positions of travel line-up with ports in the outer cylinder.

The inner cylinder position relative to the outer cylinder is changed by the piston sliding back and forth as the travel of the piston is longer than the length of the inner cylinder.

To call the engine 'valveless' is misleading (I suggest) as it is actually a sleeve-valve engine with the movement of the sleeve driven by the piston travel at each end of the stroke.

Regards,

Phil

Edited By Weary on 22/04/2021 21:22:29

Edited By Weary on 22/04/2021 21:22:58

Edited By Weary on 22/04/2021 21:51:00

Thread: Lathe DRO
19/04/2021 13:33:22

Jim Smith 8 - I have also sent you a Private Message.

Regards,

Phil

18/04/2021 21:04:15

Thanks for the link Jason. In the absence of a suitable optical scale I have already ordered a (small) magnetic scale, albeit not one of the tape versions that you linked too.

I was unsure about mounting the self-adhesive tape, and a previous enquiry on here (on a different thread) failed to turn-up any experience of use. I can always give the tape a try if I cannot fit the magnetic 'bar' in a way that suits me.

Thanks & regards,

Phil

18/04/2021 19:29:22

I have been playing about with fitting an optical scale in a similar restricted location and the smallest optical scale that I could find is the KA200 series (sometimes written KA-200), the scale of which is 16 x 16 mm with a reading head 14 x 14 mm (total height with clearances 32mm). It is available in the standard 5um and, from Germany, reading to 1um.

Should you find something smaller please post and let us know!

Next smallest optical scale I could find is the KA500 series with a scale dimension 18 mm wide x 20mm high with a reading head 14 mm wide x 20mm high; total height with clearances 43mm.

Regards,

Phil

Thread: 5 " AJAX
18/04/2021 09:52:37

Maybe worth having a look on Model Engineering Clearing House forum where a couple of posters have or had these locos, others are familiar with them as they were (are?!) a popular club locomotive, and I recall that one regular poster (in South Africa) is currently restoring one.

There is thread about the Ajax valve-gear events, and the introductory restoration thread here. A search on the forum may turn-up other references.

Regards,

Phil

Thread: Thompstone Engine
15/04/2021 20:22:01

Jason, and others, of course,

Re: period castings for Thompstone Engine;:

Model Engineer, Vol VI, No.69, March 15 1902, page 144, under heading 'Amateurs Supplies', text reads:

Model Horizontal Engine Castings

Readers of The Model Engineer will hardly need an introduction to the work of Mr S. L. Thompstone, some of it already having been published in these pages. A neat list, which he is issuing post free, on application, illustrates a model horizontal engine which is made in two sizes. Those who require castings of this type of engine should make application to Mr Thompstone, Nelson Street, Broughton, Manchester.

End of text.

Regards, Phil.

Thread: Loco wheel profile chatter
02/04/2021 19:36:45

Hello Luker,

LBSC's mandrel for turning locomotive wheels was fitted as follows:

"Chuck an odd casting or disc of metal a little smaller than the back of the wheel ..... recessing at the middle for about 1/32 in depth and 1 in. or so diameter" (quote from 'Virginia' notes, but similar wording appears for other builds) and then fitted with a mandrel which was subsequently turned to appropriate diameter. Thus the mandrel was principally for centering the wheel which was fully supported by the 'odd casting' or 'disc of metal' held in the chuck. The nut on the end of the mandrel was used to pull the wheel back into firm contact with the ad-hoc faceplate.

Regards,

Phil

Thread: How on earth do I build this boiler for my Fire King ?
29/03/2021 16:42:51

On the same page that Jason linked to above with the drawings (link here again for convenience), there is also a link to a build description, here. It is immediately to the right of the drawings' link.

The build is described in French, however the photo's are international, and even if you don't speak French an on-line translator and some imagination will assist & maybe clarify. The boiler is described and pictured on the lower part of page 2 of the build description.

Bonne chance!

Phil

Thread: Copper tube?
18/03/2021 09:36:58

M-Machine list it.

Regards,

Phil

Thread: Two or three axis DRO
12/03/2021 13:40:03

If you go to ebay and 'search' ************* you will find what George was trying to link to. I think.

I'll try and See C of C

Regards

Phil

Edited By JasonB on 12/03/2021 20:01:07

Thread: Wahya construction series
21/02/2021 09:08:09

Thank you for the response Luker. Hopefully you will be able to relax without the concerns of filming etc., and you will be able to enjoy your beautiful locomotive still more.

It is a real tribute to your skills and approach and looks and sounds really good.

I found your 'pressure-gauge' article very interesting too. Following your example I am looking to source a couple of suitable pressure-gauges (10bar) from ebay (or similar) to experiment with.

Thanks

Phil.

20/02/2021 18:41:06

I've enjoyed the Wahya series too. And the locomotive looks great and runs well. But I note that you don't seem to notch the valve gear up (??).

Regards,

Phil

Thread: 00 Gauge Live Steam Locomotives
04/02/2021 10:14:48

If you search +++ sherwood +++ in this Model Engineer index you will find quite a few articles of his covering construction of 00 (and still smaller) live steam locomotives from the late 50's referenced.

Regards,

Phil

Thread: Micro rivets
03/02/2021 15:54:27

Hacksaw,

You can get rivets down to 1mm diameteer from Sapphire Rivets in steel, stainless steel, aluminium (& alloy), nickel silver, brass, copper, bronze, monel, in a variety of head-forms 'over the counter'.

No need to try exotic sources down to 1mm diameter shaft; unless you want to, of course!

Regards,

Phil.

Thread: Butch - can it come back to life?
19/01/2021 09:59:27

If you get stuck or would like advice at any time then it may be worth having a look on Model Engineering Clearing House forum as one regular poster ('Doug'  )  there has restored (his thread on the topic includes many descriptions photos) and runs a Butch, and another is building 'Twin Sisters' which is a very similar design. From memory a few of the posters have had experience of 'Butch' as it used to be a popular and rugged club loco'.

The forum is very locomotive oriented.

Regards,

Phil.

Edited By Weary on 19/01/2021 09:59:57

Thread: Finding a good home for my Dad's engine
10/01/2021 22:13:09

OK.

So, thanks for the info'.

Looks like you have a Nigerian Railways 'River' Class locomotive as built by Vulcan foundry in the UK and others elsewhere.

Your father built this at 1" to the foot scale. So it makes an interesting, meaty, and somewhat unusual model.

If you want to get an idea of price/value then you might want to browse Station Road Steam to get an idea of prices. There are other dealers too of course who may merit a browse. When you know 'how much you would like', then, as mentioned by others above,  a 'free' advert' on here or Model Engineering Clearing House may allow you to 'test the water' as you appear reluctant to list on ebay. The lack of any (test) documentation for the boiler will depress the value - dealers sell with boiler documentation. Knowing what the model is etc., will enable you to get a better price.

Please keep us (me!) posted.

Regards,

Phil.

Edited By Weary on 10/01/2021 22:14:03

Edited By Weary on 10/01/2021 22:19:33

10/01/2021 21:48:50

As to what the source locomotive design may be:

The plans that you show in your last photograph are not directly relevant to this model. It is unlikely that your model is of a French prototype (used in France) as it has a 'pilot' ('cowcatcher' ) which were not (customarily) used in Europe. However, it may be a French design used in the French colonies or areas of influence.

The photograph that you uploaded with three photographs of real locomotives may be more relevant as there are striking similarities (albeit with some stark differences) between the photos and the model. Maybe these photos were taken in Australia?? The signals are distinctive and may aid identification. The paperwork in that photograph may shed some light on your father's inspiration as there is some commentary about the design of valve-gear and I can also see some documentation referring to French 'pacifics'. There is also the corner of some drawings of connecting rods (??) or similar visible, these may indicate the source design.

Your father's model is of a 'Mikado' rather than a 'pacific'. So, any references to pacifics indicate inspiration rather than the specific model.

The model may be a free-lance design incorporating some of your father's ideas rather than a strict copy of a particular type of locomotive.

Model Engineering Clearing House has a good number of Australian based locomotive enthusiasts and one of them may have a few ideas about the model.

Regards,

Phil

Edited By Weary on 10/01/2021 21:49:34

Thread: VAT changes post Brexit
08/01/2021 09:58:21

I contacted my MP, Greg Hands (Con. Hammersmith & Fulham) pointing out that some European companies were refusing to sell to the UK as they regarded the new HMRC VAT requirements too onerous for the revenue involved. I further pointed-out that there was no apparent way for small and artisanal producers to undertake a simplified procedure.

Mr Hand's admin' support appear to be unaware of this 'hitch' and my observations have been forwarded to Jesse Norman (MP, Hereford & South Herefordshire), Financial Secretary to the Treasury for his consideration.

Regards,

Phil

Thread: Postal Imports ... Notice 143
04/01/2021 15:37:54

BBC report "Some companies refuse UK deliveries over Brexit tax changes".

Phil

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
JD Metals
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest