By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for dcosta

Here is a list of all the postings dcosta has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Why is everything you buy such rubbish!!
07/11/2010 14:34:24
No. You are not.

What might explain the poor quality of some of these products is that in the traditional European establishments (those who yet  have not failed ...) begin to appear products of Chinese origin from the worst Chinese factories. Once they are sold in unsuspecting stores  (possibly in our own neighborhoods), we bought them without realizing their poor quality.
And then ... Surprise!

When, or if, I enter an Chinese establishment I already know what awaits me ...

However, I must say that I believe there are some good products from China.

Dias Costa
Thread: Metric vs Imperial - Practical or Traditional?
07/11/2010 01:15:33
Hello.

The hectare has the same purpose as the acre which is to measure areas.
See, please, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hectare.

Dias Costa

Edited By Dias Costa on 07/11/2010 01:16:03

Thread: Eagle Surface Grinder
11/10/2010 00:37:19
Hello Bogs.

Thank You for Your attention to my message and help.
 Now I understand better Your recommendation on using the face plate.
When I bought my lathe Emco Compact 8 (30 or so years ago) I postponed the buying of the face plate and when I wanted I couldn't find it in the market.
So, last year I bought an unmachined back plate with the purpose to machine it to make a face plate and postponed the project. Now it's time to go ahead with it.
And then I hope I'll start with the tramming tool.

Best regards
Dias Costa

P.S.: My message had some garbage after my signature I left there by accident.
I'm sorry.

10/10/2010 17:36:16
Hello "CoalBurnner".

Thank You for Your help.

You said:
Remember before you do the final truing up on the lathe, to take a light skim off your faceplate, I was surprised how much runout I had in mine  

I say:
Yes, I will.
However in my lathe (an original Emco Compact 8) I can use the original collets and its chuck.
Also the spindle nose in the Compact 8 is not machineable. It is tapered (similar to ISO 55021).

Best regards
Dias Costa

CB

t is not a matter of language, I can translate what I need.  I will close this thread as I feel I was goaded into a response..
Thread: Small Metric Screws
10/10/2010 13:07:13
Hello all.

I think the statement by Mr Kwill is at least awkward. And deserves to be criticized.
He may not even really like each and every one of the French but must keep their statements on the subject for the family and friends. He can not forget that the forum is shared by people of other nationalities. I, being Portuguese, (does he like the Portuguese?)  will not venture even to direct me to him, for example asking him for help, since I run the risk that, even without knowing me, he can express some antipathy.
Or else I'll have to wait until Mr Kwill publishes a list of people or countries to which he dislikes.

Best regards
Dias Costa

Edited By Dias Costa on 10/10/2010 13:07:36

Thread: Eagle Surface Grinder
09/10/2010 22:20:06
Hello Bogs.

Will You be so kind as to let me know how I can find Your post about the tramming device?

Thanks in advance
Dias Costa

Thread: Hot air and stirling engines
22/09/2010 00:43:14
Helo all.

I found information about a powerful Stirling engine (500 Wats)  and I thought it will be interesting to some of the members of this thread.

http://www.uwemoch.de/

Best regards
Dias Costa 
Thread: What are you building?
20/09/2010 17:17:46
Hello Ian  and  David!

I thank to both of You.

Ian,
As I told You before I'm preparing myself to start making an hot air engine and  I, whenever possible, look for information about other people experiences and ideas.
I hope that when I have the shaper finished I'll start preparing materials and data to start making an hot air engine. Meanwhile I can only dream and read the messages from other engineers (like Yourself).   
By now all I can do is to collect all data to this goal.
But in my dreams I would like to build a "ST 05 G Stirling Engine 300-500 Watt", see, please, http://www.odts.de/esg/ST5engl.html and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9xIXGB2vFU&NR=1 and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0ZcpiUVHB0.
In a motor like this I would like to test wood pellets as energy source.
That engine, as You will find in the site, was conceived by Mr. Dieter Viebach, an German gentleman.

Best regards
Dias Costa

19/09/2010 17:59:34
Hello Ian!

Thank You for Your help.
Here in Portugal is not a common thing to find spare motors used in tread mills. Used or new. At least I couldn't find any one. That kind of motor is very adequate for my shaping machine, because it's small and it's rpm are controllable.
In a previous project (see, please,  http://www.model-engineer.co.uk/albums/member_album.asp?a=7538) I used a motor which originally had attache a water pump. It is nice and small but I cant control its speed.
So, I think, after gaining some more information about brushless motor, I will try to use one of them in my shaper project. 

Bak in 1982 I made a very small hot air engine. Since my joining to this forum I've been lurking and reading the messages about hot air engines. I hope some day I'l start making one and I would like to read plans for something around 600rpm and some useful power (around 500W will be good). May be I am just dreaming...

By the way I am a happy owner of a bicycle  (BIRIA) with a brushless motor in the hub feed by a lot of LiIon cells.

Dias Costa

Edited By Dias Costa on 19/09/2010 18:01:38

19/09/2010 01:29:19
Hello Axel.

Thank You for Your kind words about my  shapper and for the information about brushless motors. I knew something about them but never thought they could be used for this purpose.
I'll look for more information about that kind of motor. If it can move a bicycle it can move my shapper. And those motors have a very interesting price for the power!
At these moment I'm kind of stuck with moving train. I'm really in need of a motor to proceed.

Once again thank You Axel
Dias Costa

18/09/2010 15:40:47
Hello.

I am making a shaper machine more or less following David Gingery's book.
Right now I am looking for a DC motor (with brushes or brushless) and controller to start making the moving train.
I'd like to have a small powerful motor (about 1000W) with speed control instead of  a set of pulleys. So I am in a kind of waiting state.

You can see some pictures in the following URL:
http://www.model-engineer.co.uk/albums/member_album.asp?a=8270

P.S.: I will be thankful if someone knows where I can buy a motor with those caracteristics will let me know.

Dias Costa 

Edited By Dias Costa on 18/09/2010 15:42:54

Edited By Dias Costa on 18/09/2010 15:43:59

Edited By Dias Costa on 18/09/2010 15:44:31

Thread: Is this hobby dying?
07/09/2010 10:19:56
Hello Ian.
Hello Axel.

For Ian:
I'm happy You hadn't suffered anu injury and I wish all In ChCh NZ best of luck.

For Axel:
My first name is, also, John. In my mother tongue it is written  João.

Dias Costa
Thread: Where to buy trolley adjustable bases ?
26/08/2010 15:17:12
Thank You Jason.
Thank You Maurice.

I've just ordered 5 mobile-bases from RUTLANDS.. They
seem to me to be very robust and the price is within budget. 
The Axminster carriage costs to Portugal were too high.

Once again thank You 
Dias Costa
25/08/2010 01:19:05
Thank You Jason.

Following Your suggestion I visited the Axminster site and found they have two differently named but looking very much alike produts:

1 - Axminster Universal Mobile Base (http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-axminster-universal-mobile-base-prod364881/?src=froogle#bottomsection) priced 36,45£

2 - Heavy Dutty Machine Base (http://www.axminster.co.uk/jet-heavy-duty-machine-base-prod20850/) priced 89,95£

The Universal Mobile Base has a  Max. total loading of 230kg and they say will deliver only for Uk and Ireland (I'll e-mail them to get a confirmation).

The Heavy Duty  Machine Base has a  Max. total loading of 250kg.

Do You know of any other substantial difference justifying the prices?

Thanks in adavance
Dias Costa
24/08/2010 19:19:54
Hello.

I'm looking for trolley adjustable bases for my milling, lathe, etc.
I want buy them in UK and I've searched for it using the google, but
had no luck. It's possible my poor English doesn't help me.

Can anybody help me please.

Dias Costa

Thread: Where to buy indexable tool tips
19/08/2010 22:11:42
Hello John.

I'm in hollidays out of my home. So I'm not able to help You further.
Next Wednsday or Thursday I'll be back at my home and shop and then
I'll look at the measures.

Best regards
Dias Costa
Thread: sourcing worm gears
21/07/2010 19:46:06
Hello John.

The last one, I think, has distribution in France.
Good luck
Dias Costa

Edited By David Clark 1 on 21/04/2011 09:42:49

Thread: Adjustable v-ledges
15/07/2010 21:42:59
Hello Kwil, Nigel and John.

Thank You for Your prompt help.
Now I understand how the tapered gib strips work.

Cheers
Dias Costa
14/07/2010 16:07:37
Hello John.
Thank You for Your help.

Do You know, by any chance, if the not parallel side in the dovetail is in the male side or in the female side?

Cheers
Dias Costa
14/07/2010 10:01:46
Hello Jason.
Thank You for Your help.

May be I'm wrong but I thought that the "Gib Strips" words were used to describe astraight kind of Gib Strip which You adjust by means of several screws along it.

The kind of "Gib Strips" in my milling machine is adjustable by means of two screws
positioned in the top of one side of the dovetail in each of the X , Y and Z axis. So, in
each axis, one screw tights the Gib Strip" against the other. Or so it seams to me.

I must add that in a phone call to the distributor in Portugal I was said the "Gib Strips"
in my machine are wedge shaped (or tapered).

To make clear my first message let me cite what the distributor says in the leaflet
about my milling:
"Robust and precise dovetail control adjustable without clearance with V-ledges".

If the Gib Strips are tapered shaped, then there must be a pair of them in each
dovetail in such a position that when we tight them against each other, there always a
straight line formed in contact against the dovetail. But in my milling there's only one
Gib Strip! How does it work?

Cheers
Dias Costa

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Allendale Electronics
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
cowells
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest