By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for John Stevenson

Here is a list of all the postings John Stevenson has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Car problems
20/06/2017 16:46:20
You mention hydraulic connection?

Is it a hydraulic clutch?
If so release the pipe on the master cylinder the piston may have stuck down ad holding the clutch open.
Had it on a few trucks in the past. Dodge was particularly prone to it with the knock need system. Gurgling was much better.
Thread: Diametric Pitch
20/06/2017 16:02:32
Cammus.
A treatise on the teeth of gears 1806

Diametrical
Thread: 160mm 3Jaw SC D1-3 Camlock Chuck
20/06/2017 11:15:44
Some chucks are just chucks with tapped holes on the back so they can fit anything.
Some come with a backplate of choice already fitted and some have the D1-3 fitting machined as part of the chuck.
Cost wise I have mentioned them in order of cheapness. Edit just read all your post and if you have the backplate then you have the D1-3 fitting. All you need is a generic 160 mm chuck to bolt onto it.

Edited By John Stevenson on 20/06/2017 11:19:02

20/06/2017 10:51:29
Cost wise you might be better looking for a chuck and backplate
Thread: Car problems
20/06/2017 10:03:28
Pretty sure he has a Mondayo
Thread: CAMLOCK D1-4 VS FLANGE FITTING CHUCK MOUNT, ADVISE PLEASE
19/06/2017 18:39:56
Depending on if the flange mount is just a flange mount with loose nuts or the DIN???? Series with the keyhole fitting where the chuck is fitted with studs and nuts on that just require a quick nip up. They are actually a taper fit of 7 degrees something, the same as the D1-3 and D1-4

I have used both and much prefer the keyhole flange type.
It's a positive lock and not just relying in 3 pins in a wedging action.
I had had D1-4 and D1-6 chucks come loose under heavy interrupted cuts.
They also have less overhang that D series as they don't need the pot bit of the spindle.

I think the Warco 290 late has the keyhole fitting
Thread: Diametric Pitch
19/06/2017 17:57:55
Bazyle you only get 127 hits because its the prime of 25.4 which is modular.

Sorry I'll get me coat
Thread: Making a Rotring pen body
17/06/2017 21:25:34
What about stainless tube or even out the solid. 303,machines very nice?
Thread: "Vintage" CNC
17/06/2017 15:28:06
A lot of the early NC machines were hydraulic in operation, the Germans in particular as seeing this as a way forward.

The Americans has some made by Moog. The synthesiser people but they were a plumbers nightmare, blowing seals and leaking and then the concensus was to concentrate on servo and stepper controls
Thread: VFD wiring
17/06/2017 14:05:34
Yup

We are not short of experts 😀
Thread: Myford gearbox confusion
17/06/2017 12:57:18
With the addition of two extra gears on the input drive train, a 33 and a 34 you can cut most of the metric threads without any adaptation and save the cost of the very expensive Myford metric attachment.
17/06/2017 10:34:10
The chart with the 23 tpi thread on it is for the North American market as its a common pipe thread whereas we use 19
Thread: Making a Rotring pen body
17/06/2017 06:27:43
God that takes me back, their used to be a big old fashioned stationer in Nottingham, Sisson and Parkers, big place, over 3 floors.
As well as selling book the first floor was given up to art and drawing. Used to call in, probably and never leave without buying something, pens,leads,tracing sheets and different template's and French curves.

Memories but still don't regret the change to CAD, even if only for the ability to correct mistakes and not having to redraw.
Thread: How do I adjust the quill?
16/06/2017 21:52:45
There is already a spring fitted. It's part number 15 and is adjustable by removing the three screws behind where the graduated ring goes. Take care when you release the last screw as it will want to unwind. Just wind a bit more tension on it and replace the screws

I'm a bit non plussed why Gary can't set this up. A while ago I got a contract to supply some capillary housings in large quantities in brass

The OD is CNC turned and then they go onto 2 of these Sieg X0's for drilling. These were bought just for this contract and remain set up. The first machine drills a 1.8 mm hole 9.5mm deep the second machine then drills a 0.4mm hole all the way thru which is also 9.5mm deep

The reason for the stepped hole is so two tiny copper pipes can be soldered in. I have done in the low thousands in snatchy brass and never lost a drill or a part yet
Thread: Grind stone for drill grinding jig
16/06/2017 13:00:27
Side of the wheel or not?
Good question and needs looking at. This all started probably pre war from the wheel manufacturers probably from classic cases in industry but remember back then we had a prolific industry. When I was an apprentice we had offhand grinders with up to 15" wheels with the big H&S laminated posters of the day hanging up but that never stopped some hairy arsed fitter who had 100 bars in 1" x 1/2" that needed a radius on both ends and was on piece work

Result, large undercut in the side of the wheel and bang.

Fast forward to present day and the home workshop and the average weapon of choice is a 6" grinder with a motor from 300W up to 750W for some of the older classic models. Wheel of choice is usually 6" x 3/4"

Now our home shop hero is going to [A], die of boredom or [B], burn the grinder out before he's got his first radius on so no appreciable wear takes place.

In short in a home shop it's safe as it's well within limitations.

Ask yourself this, if you replace the wheels with say a 60 degree cup wheel it's deemed OK to use the face and the side but you are lucky if it's 1/4" thick so where is the sense in this.
Thread: Metric Myford super 7
16/06/2017 09:46:56
Just prior to the. Myford sale I went in to move a load of machines sold prior to the sale and also bought some tooling for myself.
Amongst this tooling was all the leadscrew taps for the whole range.

They did use some wierd sizes. I have 1/2 x 20 as expected but I also have 1/2 x 2mm pitch as well as 13 mm x 2mm pitch??
Thread: Does anyone use the programmability of a Steve Ward Indexer?
16/06/2017 09:23:44
Yes, when I cut say a 10 spline shaft I setup for 10 divisions then offset the cutter from the centreline by half the cutter diameter plus half the spline width. Then take 10 cuts. Repeat the other side of the spline then change divisions to 20 and make one move, change back to 10 divisions, then set the cutter up back on the centreline and do 10 cleanup root passes

Edited By John Stevenson on 16/06/2017 09:25:49

15/06/2017 23:09:22
Just set it up for 16 divisions or am I missing something?
Thread: Bridgeport E Head
15/06/2017 20:00:35
Used the standard big ones as I had a shed full.
I was more interested in getting the machine earning money plus if I ever broke one I'd have spares
Thread: Was in Penrith and this pulled up.
15/06/2017 19:55:30
Way back around 74, 75 we had a garage near us that dealt in old rolls Royces.
Most of these were shopped to the States

One day a friend called round and whilst we the talking he mentioned that old man Nudd had got an old rolls pickup round the back

Now the pickup bit interested me so took a ride down and sure enough it was a pickup

Car would be about an early 30's big radiator, no silver lady obviously.
Asked Nuddy about the history but he didn't know

I'm surmising that it was owned as a car by some estate somewhere and it it grew older it was replaced but they had the coach builders modify this into a pick up for the ground staff as the conversion was too neat for a hone built

It wasn't in bad nick for its year seats were all split and worn and the bed had seen better days but main problem was the engine had been robbed. No head manifolds, waterpump, dynamo or starter but that didn't worry me as I fancied doing a lump transplant with a Commer TS3 engine of which we had loads kicking about.
So asked how much and he wanted. 100 pounds

Offered him 80 but he wouldn't accept. Kept going back but neither of us would move on price

No idea what happened to it,probably broke up for spares
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
EngineDIY
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
emcomachinetools
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest