By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ian Abbott

Here is a list of all the postings Ian Abbott has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Macs -V- Windows PC's
13/11/2012 18:58:59

Almost forgot. Mac's aren't expensive.

Used G4 Powerbook DVD drive, Wi Fi, including a pile of software, £200 from a kid on the web.

Ian

13/11/2012 18:53:37

I've been using Macs since the old Mac II, 1989.

Over the years there have been times when I've been forced to use Windows because of software compatability and have never been less than infuriated by Microsoft's rubbish. Blue screen of death, mindlessly convoluted ways of organizing, constant demands for contacting MS.

At the moment, we have a MacBook (Intel) a PPC G4 Powebook and a PPC G5, two on Leopard and the other on Lion.

I press the button, they start, I work.

Mac's own iLife and iWork have programs which are compatible with MS Office and will open MS Office Mac and Windows files and save as Windows files. The Mac will open all the Adobe Windows files and save as the same. Built in Preview will display stuff like Photoshop files, even if you don't have it on the computer. It'll let you save a copy and modify it. Built in WiFi and Bluetooth make it east to transfer files and talk to the phone.

I use an Orange dongle with the MacBook, it runs at G3+ a lot of the time, costs about £15 a month with a free dongle.

Ian

Thread: Offensive language
07/11/2012 19:27:23

I tend to use the "Oh, about that much" scale.

Ian

Thread: Design a covering mechanism
02/11/2012 21:39:47

Could you use the same type of cover that uses a pair of arms to lift the edge of the sheet away from the roller on the lengthwise models, but adapted to side mounting.

Does that make sense?

Ian

Thread: HEALTH AND SAFETY WARNING
02/11/2012 21:32:37

We used to use CO2 extingushers out "in the field", to shrink internal ring gears for fitting into heated housings. The company that maintained our fire protection stuff could never figure out how we got through so many.

Ian

Thread: Self adulation
22/10/2012 23:08:51

No problem with the article.

Other than all the exclamation marks!!!

Ian

Thread: The Greatest Mechanical invention
15/10/2012 18:42:35

How about a hole in the ground...

Useful for many things, getting under the car, standing Stonehenge stones upright, disposing of bodies, hiding treasure...

Ian

10/10/2012 19:41:56

It has to be the lever. And by extension, any reduction gear.

And Mick, Watt didn't invent the steam engine, he just improved Newcomen's engine.

As a runner up, the still, as in 12 year old scotch.

Ian

Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
06/06/2012 19:45:18

When I was a youngish, we lived under the approach to Rolls Royce's airfield at Hucknall. Their commuter Spitfire came over at least once a week as well as the Vulcan with one Concord (definitely no 'e' on there) engine slung under the starboard side when they were testing. As each new type started testing, we had samples flying in. This was a youngster's dream location and the air displays over at the airfield were fantastic, 'cept when the Vulcan cartwheeled in of course.

Ian

Thread: How Accurate Are Low Cost Digital Calliper Micrometers?
02/05/2012 20:09:03

I have a couple of digital calipers, the expensive one drains the batteries, the cheap one doesn't, go figure.

I've found that my biggest problem is that there's enough flex in the instrument to give a constantly fluctuating reading in the half a thou. or less isle. I end up physically holding the jaws together with one hand to get a steady reading, while tightening the lock screw with the other.

My favourites are my three dial calipers, one imperial, one metric and one fraction, which was given to me by a universal joint rep forty years ago.

Ian

Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
28/04/2012 16:36:05

I thought that the original Mosquitos were built using somethink like urea-formaldahyde. They did change it to a different spec for the tropics. I used to work with someone who was with the RAF in India, he said that they just fell apart in the humidity.

Ian

Thread: Tornado
09/04/2012 19:12:59

We're lucky here, Tornado and others come into Kingswear (Dartmouth) on the Torbay Express specials. A few weeks ago, we had the last run of 6024 before she was taken off the road. Her ticket may be up, but she was splendid. Photos as they pass upper ferry slip and then a walk down to the station for some stationary stuff. In between specials, from Easter to October we have Lydham Manor and the 2-8-0's.

Ian

Thread: Over engineered?
06/03/2012 18:48:22

Anyone remember BRONCO loo roll?

My grandmother used to buy it by the crate load and distribute it around the extended family. Everyone was too polite to tell her that it could be used to pave the drive.

Ian

Thread: Does This Impress You?
05/03/2012 16:09:25

"...- and this bloke seems to agree."

Nah, the slots should be vertical. And he's even used those 'orrible crappy Canadian Robertson screws in the bottom picture. Now there's a screw to avoid, either the bit spins when the screw's half way in, or you can't get the bloody bit out when the screw's flush.

Ian

Thread: Cobalt drill speed to remove broken tap
29/02/2012 15:52:40

Shouldn't think that ms will work harden.

Helicoils have worked a treat for me. A drop of Loctite helps them to stay put.

Ian

Thread: What's this tool?
18/02/2012 17:12:57

Could it be a screwdriver for those flat headed screws with the cross slots?

Ian

Thread: Vernier vs Micrometer
27/01/2012 21:19:47
"...interfering sinusoidal inputs..."

Isn't that when you stick your nose in where it 'aint wanted?

And

Over the years, I've accumulated digital, vernier, dial and fractional callipers in metric and Imperial, and inside and outside mics. up to 6".

Now, I can't read any of them without a x10 loupe!

Ian
Thread: seaside miniature railways
21/01/2012 14:07:03
South Devon Railway at Buckfastleigh have one too, 'bout ten inch I think.

Ian
Thread: Metal thefts
16/01/2012 11:34:10
"...It involves sending a laser beam down the cable..."

How about 500 volts?

And.

"...a crack testing company..."

Any vacancies?

Sorry
Ian
Thread: SS Great Britain
03/01/2012 21:17:56
Had a quick look, there's a plethora of stuff on Amazon, most promising might be the Haynes manual.

Ian
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
JD Metals
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest