By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for mgnbuk

Here is a list of all the postings mgnbuk has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: vfd question
23/03/2020 15:18:22

The first hit on epay showed a smaller unit clearly (or unclearly) with a flip-up cover.

But still with a cover. Covers do not appear to be compulsory :

sprint-chassis-3200-32i.jpg

Currently available UK manufactured chassis mount DC drive. Bit easier to access the mains terminals than on a compact VFD with a flip-up cover, but still available for sale.

Nigel B.

23/03/2020 12:59:33

Please show the manufacturer and model number of this pic - I don’t think it is the unit under consideration at all.

I realise that the picture isn't the largest, but even with my less-than-perfect eysight I can read "XSY-AT1" on the rating plate. It appears to be a product of the Xin Shuang Yuan Co.Ltd (also on the rating plate) who appear not to have an easily findable website.

Maybe my version of Google is different to yours (not being funny here - I get different results from my home computer & work computer for the same search term), but searching for XSY- AT1 only gets me these units. There are also AT3 (380V 3 phase input) & AT4 (220V input 380V output) devices. Looking around I can see that there are some Chinese vfds with more exposed terminals, but non of these have been marked XSY-AT1. It would be helpful to have a link to the units you have seen.

Nigel B.

23/03/2020 09:39:12

As a matter of comment only, that ebay item linked to by mgnbuk does not appear (to me) to indicate it is the inverter in question, so possibly just a ‘red herring’ thrown in?

Not sure what you mean by this ? The link is to an XSY AT1 inverter,as originally referenced by the OP

220v-8a-15kw-variador-de-frecuencia-vfd-vsd-_1.jpg

Still can't see the terribly dangerous, exposed, not protected by a screw secured cover terminals that generated your original comments NDIY ? Could you post the links to your source that suggest that this is not the device in question to clarify please ?

Nigel B.

22/03/2020 19:47:34

the little screw on cover protects all the low voltage control terminals.

the high voltage connection wire go directly into the oval slots on the base below (one terminal per slot for avoidance of doubt). However, this appears to be a common feature of most VFDs.

Access to the power terminals is also via the screw on cover - you can't get a screwdriver through the cable entry slots to tighten the connector screws. The cable entry slots also appear to be sized such that accidental finger contact with the terminals is unlikely, partciularly so with cables going through the slots.

The point I was trying to make (unsuccesfully it seems) is that the assertion that the power terminals are are not shrouded or adequately protected against accidental contact and are thus a dire health and safety risk does not seem to be correct - the Chinese inverter does not seem to be substantially different to branded European or Japanese products in that respect. I

Other aspects of it's construction. circuitry, interference levels & documentation are all different issues, though !

I could be tempted to try one on the Triac if a branded one doesn't come my way - if I could ascertain that the analogue input was isolated. It would be mounted in a steel enclosure, with shielded cables, an input filter & ferrite rings on the output cables -same installation as a branded one in that regard.

Nigel B.

22/03/2020 17:07:14

XSY AT1

The reason? The mains voltage connections are accessible without using any tool or having an interlock.

The Ebay link above shows that the terminals on the 1.5Kw XSY AT1 are covered by a screw secured cover ?

Could you link to the video of the one wth exposed terminals, please - the only one I can find is in Russian & the commentator has the terminal cover in his hand at one point.

Nigel B.

Thread: Digital callipers shows time not distance
22/03/2020 10:22:22

Mitutoyo give them away free. You ony have to spend £100,000 on a CMM to get one!

Almost the correct answer - our CMM at work was "only" £42,000 + Vat & came complete with the complimentary caliper shaped wall clock. Fortunately the CMM has lasted longer than the clock !

Nigel B.

Thread: Lathe levelling
21/03/2020 13:18:42

Why not use the saddle to support the level?

It probably depends upon the bed formation of the lathe in question, but you would also see bed wear from readings taken off the saddle & possibly get a false reading ? Could you link to the video(s) concerned ?

Nigel B.

Thread: vfd question
21/03/2020 11:24:58

perhaps we should aspire to achieve a more professional installation which is safer and more reliable.

That will never catch on !

Nigel B.

Thread: Could bigfoot be real?
21/03/2020 11:22:22

I have come across something I didn't think existed. A bench!

Rumour has it that I might have a couple of those somewhere in the garage. Maybe I should try this " spend some time tidying up in my workshop " idea - though it is rather a strange concept. Should I be brave enough to try this "tidying up", what do I do with all the "stuff" ?

Nigel B.

Thread: Chuck
17/03/2020 15:44:20

First one looks like a self-centring 3 jaw in an independent 3 jaw.

The main chuck seems to be an independant 2 jaw to me.

Nigel B.

Thread: Myford ML10 metric leadscrew
16/03/2020 16:12:10

TR16x3 threaded rod

available here in 1 metre lengths. Need to contact them for prices.

If Hx R+S are too pricy, you could try Kenward Precision & Gear in Huddersfield (01484 512355) - they have (or had when I last visited) a Jowett thread whirler, so should be able to make a lead screw.

Nigel B.

Edited By mgnbuk on 16/03/2020 16:12:31

Thread: Way oil vs Chain bar oil vs motor oil
14/03/2020 13:57:02

I'd be unsurprised if !SO68 hydraulic oil proved more satisfactory on typically lighter home shop machines than the proper way oil. Proper stuff may be too sticky for really smooth movement on lightweight machines.

68 viscosity is 68 viscosity regardless of the application type.

Both slideway & hydraulic oil are available in lighter viscosities - FWIW I use 46 viscosity slidway oil (Millway 46 from Millers Oils) on my Myford & FB2 clone. Available on Ebay in litre bottles for £7.13 delivered.

32 viscosity slideway oil is also available. 68 gets mentioned mainly because it is the default for many industrial machines - of the 7 CNC machining centres & 8 CNC lathes at work all bar one specify 68 slideway oil. The odd one out uses 150 viscosity & I have had machines in the past that used 220.

Nigel B.

Thread: Nice Myford on ebay
13/03/2020 15:00:59

I dont know what was supplied as standard when the lathe was new

A mid '90s Myford Super 7 brochure gives standard equipment for a gearbox equipped lathe as being :

6 .3/4" faceplate, catchplate, changewheel guard, motor drive belt & headstock belt guards, 2 double ended spanners, 5 hex keys, C spanner, oil gun, centres for headstock & tailstock, vee belts & motor pulley & a square mouth spanner. No mention of motor or chuck as standard equipment. Non gearbox machines included 14 changewheels.

While I have the Spare parts & Accessories price lists from that time I don't have the machine price list., but a screwcutting gearbox alone (without leadscrew) as an accessory was £625 inc Vat in 1995.

Nigel B.

Thread: Heidenhain DRO Display Units
13/03/2020 13:54:21

VRZ 720 Pilot

VRZ720 installation & setup

The Pilot tells you how to operate the unit, but makes no mention of the RS232 output function. The Installation manual goes into more detail about how to set up communications & specifically mentions printers. This could be useful if the counter was used on a tool presetter to print a label with the tool diameter & length values, for example.

HTH

Nigel B.

Thread: Myford Super7 Valuation help
13/03/2020 13:33:39

Looks like a clean, unmolested power cross feed Super 7B. Do you have any other tooling with it (chucks, faceplates, steadies, vertical slide, cutting tools etc.) that would or could be included ?

As shown I would estimate £1500 - £1750 - with more tooling / accessories than shown £2000+ depending on what else you can find. Have a look for Myford Super 7 on Ebay under Completed Items with Price+Postage Highest first to see what recently sold or (didn't) as opposed to what is currently listed. There are cheaper Super 7s on there, but the cheaper ones tend to not have power cross feed, the screwcutting gearbox or the Griptru chuck fitted to your example & have fewer items of tooling.

Nigel B.

Thread: A free ride to hospital
12/03/2020 20:29:20

NEVER GRIND ALUMINIUM

Is all that needs to be said ?

Taught that grinding aluminium was a no-no very early on, though more for the propensity to clog the wheel & cause a wheel burst than for exploding dust. An exploding wheel can spoil your day just as well, though.

Nigel B.

Thread: Nice Myford on ebay
12/03/2020 20:25:19

the Myford became THE model engineeer's lathe largely because it was a (relatively) low cost machine in comparison with the better built Boxfords

The Boxford was not "better built" - larger capacity & heavier duty maybe, but both were mass produced items built to a price. The Myford would have been less expensive to produce for a number of reasons - innovative design & manufacturing methods for the time (& product ) being to the fore IMO. You may not like the use of die cast parts for some items, Hopper, but they would have required a not insubstantial investment that would only have made sense if large numbers were to be made. - and large numbers were made, many more than Boxford made.

There are good & less good parts of both designs - Boxford beds (Southbend derived) were only a milled finish & not readily available hardened, whereas the Myford was ground & was offered hardened. Myford beds are easier to recondition than Boxfords (who discontinued their bed re-maching service decades ago). But the Boxford A & B aprons have powered longitudinal feed via the rack saving the leadscrew for threading, unlike the Myford which uses the screw for both functions. Boxfords back gear seems more prone to problems than Myfords, but I don't think Boxford cross slides would be as bendy as the Super 7. Neither is perfect, both are capable of doing the job but with different limitations.

Over the last 40 years, while visiting many engineering companies through work, I regularly saw Myfords in toolrooms, one customer had several ML7-Rs run by women on production work & another started his business in his garden shed with a Super 7 - can't ever recall seeing a Boxford, though, other than the VSL that was in the fitting shop at Boxfords.

I had a CUD at the time I bought my Super 7, reasoning at being that I would sort both out & keep the one I prefered. The Boxford went. The Boxford was not a bad machine, I just prefered the Myford - partly for some more "user friendly" features, partly for the more readily available (and at the time cheaper) parts and accessories but mainly because I enjoyed using it more. The Myford cost me more than the Boxford, but for me it was worth it. For someone else it would probably be the other way round .

Norton Commandos? They were a POS when new and have only grown more obsolete with time.

50 years development would seem to have eradicated many of the shortcomings of the things & at least you can get most parts for them, unlike the original Z1. Not particularly interested in either, regardless of price.

Nigel B.

Thread: New chinese lathe or old Myford lathe
12/03/2020 16:13:37

Many second-hand flaws such as worn half-nuts are cheaply fixed.

Have you got a source of cheap Super 7 half nuts, Dave ?

"New Myford" don't show any at the moment & their ML7 half nuts are £65 a pair.

Nigel B.

Thread: Shaper Vice?
11/03/2020 11:05:33

Perhaps you could explain this phenomena.

The Edit function is time limited - a 20 or 30 minute window from posting IIRC, then the function is removed.

Nigel B.

10/03/2020 18:20:59

Seems nobody told Boxford about the need for a "special" shaper vice :

100320201187.jpg

Original swivelling vice on an 8" Boxford shaper - not had anything come loose while using it. Maybe the machine is not capable of stressing the "conventional" vice used ?

Nigel B.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
EngineDIY
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
ChesterUK
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest