By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for mgnbuk

Here is a list of all the postings mgnbuk has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Motorcycle General Discussion
11/04/2020 11:09:02

Motorycling - Easter 2020 style

Nice sunny Good Friday, so out with the bike !

Remove security & dust cover - move bike to drive.

Wash down to remove storage dust that the cover didn't totally keep off.

Chamy dry.

Apply AutoGlym Enhanced Gloss Protection to all painted sufaces - wait as instructed, then buff off.

Polish all chrome & polished alloy bits with Meguires NXT metal polish.

Clean all black plastic bits with AutoGlym Black Trim cleaner.

After 7 hours of hard cleaning & polishing, admire bike before returning to garage, replace security & dust cover.

Go back in to house & sulk !

100420201214.jpg

Thread: wide guide conversion
11/04/2020 10:31:20

Moving the leadscrew will be needed in either case I think. I machined the leadscrew mounting brackets down to move it inwards. I'd suppose with the Ganderton method you would pack the same items with shim to move them outwards.

I'm very happy with the result of my conversion. The lathe performs as good as new now, without regrinding the bed. Well worth doing -- by either method.

Not come across the "Ganderton system", but in a similar manner to Hopper I Loctited a strip of 1/16" x 1/2" gauge plate the full length of my Super 7 saddle shortly after I got the machine, as it was facing convex due to excessive wear on the short saddle guide face caused by poor gib strip adjustment.

After adding the strip, the lathe faced very slightly concave as it should & I have not had to make any further gib adjustments. There was sufficient free play in the apron mounting screw holes to align the half nuts without having to adjust the screw brackets on my machine. Adding the strip was a very easy fix to my saddle problem.

Nigel B.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2020
09/04/2020 18:05:19

Finally bought a 3D printer, after a lot of prevaricating. Present to self for a "significant" birthday.

070420201206.jpg

Last 3 days spent re-organising the office/hobby room to make space for it. I decided on the Anycubic Mega for ease of assembly (supplied in two pre-assembled lumps, held together by 8 x M5 screws. Plug in 3 colour coded connectors, the mains lead & in 10 minutes it was ready to go) dual Z axis screws & motors and good reviews. A bit smaller build volume than some (210 x 210 x 205) but it fits in a space previously occcupied by a flat bed scanner.

Manual bed levelling went OK, but first print stopped about half way through with a nozzle clog that required a 0.4mm drill to clear. Second 20mm test cube printed OK, followed by my first Benchy. The cube measures 20.07 x 20.00 x 20.00 & I think the extra 0.07 in the X direction is due to a logo on that side. The Benchy isn't perfect, but I think that is down to my inexperience with Cura settings - I did seem to be printing pretty fast, taking around 50 minutes.

090420201212.jpg

The "Buildbase" coating on the heated bed is quite impressive - really good adhesion when hot, but light pressure when cold releases the model cleanly with little effort. Unfortunately play has now stopped, as II have run out of filament . The printer order included a kilogram of PLA, but that is coming seperately - from Germany - and there was only a 10 metre length n the box with the printer.

So time to make a start on getting to grips with FreeCad while I await the delivery of pinter food. FreeCad because it is available in 32 bit and runs on my computer, though it seems pretty well featured & I didn't realise it also has a toolpath creator (CAM) so it should be useful when I get the Triac up & running..

Nigel B.

Thread: Coronavirus
09/04/2020 17:37:54

You have just listed all the things that do have short lives!

Define "short" ?

Not something I have bothered to look at in the past, but we use dust masks (3M) & vinyl gloves at work, so I'll have a look for "use before" dates next week when I go back.

Nigel B.

09/04/2020 16:47:58

You cannot therefore just fill a warehouse and leave it all there for many years just in case.

But could you not rotate new stock in to replace items supplied to the NHS, care homes etc. from a central stock during normal usage ? Though may not be feasible if items have short storage lives - though surely vinyl or latex gloves, plastic aprons, visors, face masks, coveralls etc. won't have very short storage lives ?

Nigel B.

09/04/2020 15:32:37

Was able to replensish dog & cat food, loo roll and milk as well as some fresh food, although their stocks of fresh fruit and veg are very sparse.

I did a shop at the local (West Yorks - not far from Morrisons head office) Morrisons for the MIL last week - fresh fruit and veg, meat & fish and in-store bakery bread products were plentiful, but no loo roll or flour. Can't find any type of flour locally.

Nigel B.

09/04/2020 14:55:34

I agree that our country appeared to be woefully unprepared for a pandemic and I hope those who neglected preparations are taken to task and learn from this situation.

Any preparation (i.e. stockpiling of PPE, purchase of testing & intensive care equipment etc.) would have had to have taken place well before the current situation started in Wuhan. It appears that most (if not all) of the required consumables are not made here, and when the problems started either the items could not be obtained (China - due to lockdown) or would not be supplied (certain European counties - due to export bans).

Preparations and/or an ability to be able to cope in future would seem to me to start with an ability to produce the items we need (or may need) here, without having to rely on others to provide them to us. Perhaps this situation will cause a re-think about "globalisation" - it does not appear to be serving us well at the moment.

Maybe such investment - in stockpiled items or increased medical & testing capability - should be considered part of the Defense budget, as it is obvious that not all threats towards the Country are of a Military nature.

Nigel B.

Thread: Essential and non-essential workers lockdown rules
09/04/2020 14:00:02

My current "furlough" has been ended - I am to return to work on the 15th April.

The letter from the company informing me of my requirement to return will be carried while travelling to & from work, to be shown to anyone who feels they have a right to know.

Nigel B.

Thread: Coronavirus
09/04/2020 12:00:19

So what part of YOU CANNOT TRAVEL does Myrtle Lloyd, the HMPO chief operating office not understand.?

Travel has very little to do with it.

Many Government processing organisations are being re-deployed to do Universal Credit application processing, so just because they are being told to go in to work does not mean that the work they are to be doing is their "normal" work. UC applications are up considerably (I saw up 850% mentioned last week) - DWP staff on their own can't be expected to process these applications as quickly as is needed, so other Government departments whose normal roles are not required (or have a much reduced workload) at present are being seconded to help out.

There is a bigger picture.

Nigel B.

Thread: Which Lathe???
06/04/2020 19:10:31

What's the make that used a big screwed collar onto a short tapered register, with a C-spanner?

L00 ? Used on the Boxford VSL & some Harrisons (the 140 at my last employment had this type, but may have been the bigger L01).

Nigel B.

06/04/2020 16:58:14

Broken teeth are a common problem on Myfords.

Super 7s have a spindle lock that enages at the rear of the spindle pulley to avoid this ? Seems to be more of an issue on earlier Boxfords that didn't have a spindle lock.

A "half way house" solution that offers the security of bolt-on,and almost as easy a change as a cam-lock (but without the expense) is the keyhole plate type - slacken the clamping nuts, then rotate the keyhole plate to release the chuck.

Nigel B

Edited By mgnbuk on 06/04/2020 16:58:40

06/04/2020 11:11:26

I took out my headstock shaft, if that's what it is called

The correct term is "spindle". The threaded section that you wish to try in a backplate is the "spindle nose".

It is not, as some insist on calling it, a "mandrel". A mandrel is a form of workholding device that is mounted on the spindle, in a chuck or between centres.

Nigel B.

06/04/2020 10:01:12

Slightly modified description :

Model A:- Screwcutting with quickchange g/box., power cross feed & long. feed. Back geared headstock.

Model B:- Screwcutting with changewheels, power cross-feed & long. feed. Back geared headstock.

Model C;- Screwcutting with changewheels. Back geared headstock.

Model T : Plain lathe - no screwcutting facility, no back gear. May only have been available as underdrive (TUD)

Unlike the Models A & B, the Model C does not have the power longitudinal feed provided by the bed rack & pinion. The leadscrew on the A & B has a longitudinal groove that drives the power feed apron, with the thread on the leadscrew just being used for screwcutting. The C does not have the groove & just has half nuts - longitudinal feeds use the leadscrew thread. which causes more leadscrew wear & could (in theory) cause screwcutting errors.

TUDs seem an inexpensive way to buy an unworn bed to refurbish a more capable machine.

I have always considered Home & Workshop Machinery pricing to be "optimistic".

Nigel B.

Thread: How can I use this motor economically?
05/04/2020 10:57:58

Unlikely to have hall sensors

I would have expected that as well, but reference to the manual does show Hall A,B & C outputs in the encoder connector at the motor, as well as the usuall A. /A, B, /B. I, /I of an incremental encoder, 5V & ground (two connections for each) and a thermal switch. There is also a asingle output called "ABS" which is described as being an absolute encoder - though how that is achieved through a single pin I don't know.

Strangely the Hall signals do not appear to be used by the BRU amplifier, as they do not appear on the amplifier encoder input port pinout. The copy of the manual I found is here

"Universal" drives are available - one that springs to mind is the Control Techniques Unidrive, which can be connected to pretty well any type of AC motor, with or without feedback. CT also used to do a Vector drive that used a standard squirrel cage 3 phase motor with an encoder fitted & an independant axial blower. I used one of these many years ago as a spindle drive on a Cincinatti NC drilling machine retrofit, but can't recall anything specific about it. I seem to recall that Siemens Simodrive 611 use the same output modules to drive synchronous or asynchronous motors, but they may use different interface cards to suit the type of motor - I try to avoid anything Siemens unless I absolutely have to & have not had to specify or commision one of these systems from scratch.

Nigel B.

Thread: Boxford Lathe résurrection
04/04/2020 14:45:11

It's likely to be a Universal Motor intended for use with a speed controller.

Not necessarily Dave. Early washing machines (single tub & maybe twin tub) used normal capacitor start motors. I have such a Hoover motor runnng my 6x4 bandsaw, which was bought motorless.

Nigel B

Thread: How can I use this motor economically?
04/04/2020 12:47:29

Looks like there is a repair service in the UK here

I (or, more accurately, my employer ) typically pay around £600 + Vat to repair Fanuc AC servo drives of similar vintage & I would expect it would be a similar amount to repair your unit.

Looking at a BRU series drive manual available online, it says that the setup parameters are stored in non volatile Ram or Eprom & makes no mention of a backup battery. The manual gives full motor specs & the motors seem to use a standard 5V encoder for feedback, so it may be possible to find a modern drive that will work with the motor - Kinco drives from Zapp Automation use encoders for feedback, so if your motor specs are similar to Kincos that might be an option though not cheap either (£550ish + Vat upwards ) - industrial stuff generally isn't hobbyist wallet friendly !

From the date on the manual I found, your Electro Craft kit is around 25 years old, so maybe time to retire it ? Might be cheaper overall to stick the motors on Ebay & put any proceeds towards buying a replacement 3 phase motor & VFD for a simple linisher application.

Nigel B.

Thread: Box-Ford travelling steady
31/03/2020 13:35:08

although the company was Boxford, the lathes were marketed as Box-Ford

It was just Boxford when I started working there September(ish) 1980. The logo was the same bold blue font as the current version. Standard lathe colours at the time were the two tone beige/brown & I have a suspicion that the threads may have been all metric at that time, but can't find anything to back that up.

Nigel B.

Thread: Mill drill Y axis power feed
31/03/2020 11:10:00

Yes Lainchy, same company (as you have just posted, you found that !).

Link to the Align company power feed website (with videos) below.

Align power feed

Nigel B.

31/03/2020 10:34:57

The OP asked about a power feed for the Y axis & both replies show solutions for the X axis ?

As well as the RF30 specific unit shown on Martin's picture, Align also make units to suit the X, Y & knee axes of Bridgeport type knee mills

apf-00025.jpg

The picture is of a Y axis unit (according to the MSC Industrial catalogue entry). Not an inexpensive option at £500 inc Vat from them though.

Chester have Y axis units on sale at the moment at £277 (but maybe + Vat)

All that said, it may be that the OP has his Xs & Ys crossed & is looking for an X axis (table left-right) feed unit. like this one.

Note that these units are 110V & require a fairly hefty transformer to operate.

Nigel B.

Thread: Minilathe/Mill motors
29/03/2020 19:31:34

this is an SCR controlled bridge. These are old technology now. The switching rate is limited to 2 x the line frequency (100 or 120Hz often causing audible noise) and as (most) SCRs can't be turned off they stay on until the next zero crossing of the mains supply. They have been made obsolete in most applications by the development of high voltage and current power transistors.

By no means obsolete - still standard technology for industrial DC drives. Currently available from Sprint Electric, Parker, Control Techniques, Baumueller & others.

Nigel B.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest