By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for mgnbuk

Here is a list of all the postings mgnbuk has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Triumph motorcycle auction
09/08/2020 11:04:35

The machines appear to be slow three axis ones, which are well past their prime.

The machines are from a good quality manufacturer, but I am suprised that Triumph still operated them as some look to be of a vintage that suggests they were bought when they initially started up. Most machining operations don't require any more than 3 / 4 axis operation & they will not be "slow" even at that age.

I doubt that you would find machines of that age in a Japanese factory - my understanding of Japanese manufacturing is that they replace machine tools very regularly (every 2 years or less) to ensure that they are accurate, reliable & keep up with the latest technology. There is a least one UK machine tool dealer who imports these ex-Japanese factory machines & sells them here as "nearly new".

There would be little sense in exporting such old machinery to Thailand. Better to buy new machinery to expand operations out there as required.

I think the company is in good shape with no signs of trouble .

Not what is being reported or speculated here from what I can see.

Lots of them in my circle and never heard of any problems

Lucky ? Starter sprag clutch problems on the early ones, with a design that required a full engine strip to change. The German magazine Motorrad has a Speed Triple on long term test at the moment that has dropped a valve - twice. Mutterings of widespread gearbox shift mechanism problems on the liquid cooled twins that are not being addressed with a recall. Triumph seem to have just as many issues as other makers.

Triumph trade on their "Britishness", but in reality they are just another "globalised" company. Some customers will not be bothered where the product is made, but others will not be happy to support them now they have shed UK jobs. Manufacturing in Thailand does not seem to have been driven by being able to offer the products at a lower price - even entry-level Triumphs are not what you would call cheap here.

Nigel B.

Thread: Facing bar ends parallel on the lathe.
08/08/2020 10:12:31

It turned out about 0.03mm out of parallel across 100mm. Not good!

But not too bad for a 3 jaw either ? Close enough to sort with a scraper if you are in a position to measure the error.

Could you not put the component between centres, face one end, reverse the part & face the other ? Should be pretty close to parallel done that way. May need a hole drilling & tapping in a non-working area to take a drive peg. I have a cylinder square at work that appears to have been machined that way, complete with an off-centre tapped hole at each end.

Nigel B.

Thread: Training school auction
06/08/2020 10:09:48

KITS auction

An independant industrial training school near me has ceased trading & is auctioning off everything.

Lots include 19 Colchester Student 2500 lathes (extra chucks & faceplates as separate lots) and a dozen or so small Asian Turret mills, Haas Toolroom mills & lathe and some Boxford CNC training lathes. Also lots of measuring equipment + garage & sheet metal stuff + computers. The premises they used are only a mile or so from J25 M62.

Always sad to see auctions for companies closing, but the closure of the largest engineering training establishment in the area can not be good long term for engineering apprenticeships locally.

Nigel B.

Nigel B.

Thread: solenoid circuit
04/08/2020 13:45:02

Not sure a solenoid is ideal for this application. Solenoids pull a magnet into a coil with a snap action which takes a fair amount of current, meaning a big battery.

OP says he wants to trip a sear in the trigger, so short movement & low pressure required. No need for large solenoid & big battery. There are already "electronic triggers" on production rifles (Daystate) that use small rechargeable batteries that apparently require very infrequent charging, which does not suggest a high current solution.

Unless the air-rifle must fire as soon as the solenoid operates

That would be the general idea. When I get the sight picture "just so", I want the pellet on it's way straight away with just the application of a slight further pressure on the trigger, not for the gun to fire sometime arbitrary time later.

Is jerking a trigger bad for accuracy?

Triggers are generally "squeezed", and definately not jerked. Well not if you want to hit what you thought you were aiming at ! "Nice" triggers are often "two stage", in that there is a small movement up to a noticable increase in resistance, then just an increase in pressure from that point releases the mechanism. All very controlled & predictable. I don't think that a solenoid would replicate a two stage trigger, though from what I have read the Daystate trigger is supposed to work well. Reading about Daystates is as far as my wallet will allow, though.

Nigel B.

Thread: cutting upholstery foam
31/07/2020 15:44:24

Do you have an upholstery foam supplier in your area ?

They use band knives to cut the foam from the large blocks it is cast in. I had some replacement cushion foam cores made for a motorhome & the band knife the supplier used made very easy work of cutting parallel slices from a block that required a fork lift truck to place it on the machine. Taking thin slivers off large pieces of foam was easy on the machine. Far easier than struggling to do it yourself. & doing a worse job.

Nigel B.

Thread: New Lathe - poor suface finish on my results
31/07/2020 11:55:16

I think when I readjusted my hand position for the next bit of the turn, I was getting little lines as the tool was paused for a while. I'm sure I could develop some two-handed technique so it doesn't stop while I adjust hand position

Do try using two hands on the handwheel - you can continue the feed when one hand gets to the limit with the other, which allows you to re-position the first hand to take over when the second runs out of travel. Do this with all the feed handles - takes a bit of practice, but becomes second nature after a while.

Does get a bit tedious facing a faceplate when you don't have power cross feed, though.

Nigel B.

Thread: DRO installation - a salutary lesson
31/07/2020 10:13:20

New restrictions tonight in Kirklees means I shall have more time for the man cave

You are affected by the antics of the residents of Ravensthorpe & Dewsbury as well then Bob. No wonder there are calls from Huddersfield residents that those areas are are separtely administered as "North Kirklees". No coincidence whatsoever that the lockdown was announced just before the start of Eid.

Can't help with capacitive scales - not much experience. But maybe the screws were bottoming before the read head was fully secured, allowing it to float slightly & shortening the screws fully secured it ?

Nigel B.

Thread: Can anyone identify what this is and how it works?
30/07/2020 19:12:14

I can't see which photo you are referring to....

Click on the picture montage on the page I linked to. This opens a string of pictures - the "object" is visible on the LHS of the 8th picture down.

Nigel B.

Thread: Quality small metric spanners
30/07/2020 15:41:00

Otherwise they're not magic and don't tighten and undo ordinary nuts and bolts any better than ordinary spanners.

"Nice" spanners do have another disadvantage - they have a bad habit of "walking".

When I was mobile & worked in many different places, decent spanners disappeared from my tool case regularly. I bought an inexpensive set of metric combination spanners (6 - 24mm) from an autojumble. The machining of the bits that mattered was good, as was the material used, but they looked rough - coarse forgings not well fettled, but they "did the job". Never had one of those walk ! Not particularly pleasant in the hand, though I wasn't using them all day every day .

Nigel B.

Thread: Can anyone identify what this is and how it works?
30/07/2020 15:16:42

The colour is similar to that used on Communist era East German machine tools & a bit of digging brought up this

If you scroll though the pictures, something of similar shape can be seen on the LHS of one of them - not exactly the same, but similar & a similar colour. The machine is a thread grinder & the accessories list includes a dresser unit.

HTH

Nigel B.

Thread: DRO installation - a salutary lesson
30/07/2020 10:03:47

Magnetic or optical scales ?

At a guess, magnetic.

Nigel B.

Thread: Arduino Gear Hobber
29/07/2020 09:26:26

I used a double stack nema 23 motor.

What stall torque rating was that please, Joe ?

"Nema 23" & "double stack" just give the physical dimensions of the motor & rated current is no indication of the motor performance either - I have Nema 23 motors rated at 2.2Nm stall that are longer & take more current than anothers rated at 3Nm. I have seen yet others rated 4Nm with the same physical dimensions as the 3Nm motor & with the same current rating. I would be interested to know the stall torque rating of the motor you used.

Servo motors are usually specified by their torque rating, yet this rarely seems to be mentioned in relation to stepper motors, where only the frame size gets mentioned despite there being options for a range of torque outputs within the frame size ?

Nigel B.

Thread: WM16 Tramming instructions
26/07/2020 11:43:52

Shims under one side of the column.

But only after checking head to table squareness - this isn't an un-keyed round column mill where workpiece registration is lost when the head is moved.

It is just as important that the column is accurately square to the table in both planes to mantain tool position when the head is raised or lowered & just shimming the column to correct a spindle alignment issue without regard to column alignment will just be shifting the problem for one area to another.

As a former colleague (a rather crusty machine tool fitter, apprentice trained at Asquiths in the early '60s) use to say at my last employment "Build 'em right from the bottom up, or you just make problems for yourself". You can't look at one check in isolation - start from the bottom & work your way up. Fix any issues as you find them - that way you will fix the particular problem without introducing other problems as you go. You can see the required order from the Schlessinger test protocols for the type of machine, as these specify the order in which checks are to be carried out - spindle alignment ( "tramming" ) is amongst the last checks to be done, so you would not just "jump in" and do that check first.

Sadly there are no reliable short-cuts to a properly aligned machine tool - if there were, be assured that by now the Yorkshire based machine tool builders would have found them !

Nigel B.

Thread: Death of a PSU
25/07/2020 10:48:18

Or was 8 pins before it blew?

From a close look at the pictures, I would say not. The solder covering the vacant hole in the pcb looks to be undisturbed.

Nigel B.

Thread: Overview of fitting variable frequency drive (VFD) to a Myford ML7
20/07/2020 09:23:13

You should fit a inverter VFD in an enclosure. It is in an enclosure. There is no requirement to fit a inverter inside a box. It is in a box.

As shown, that inverter is not "in a box" or an enclosure, it is just mounted on a wall, unprotected, in a vulnerable location.

Omron describe that inverter as being an "open chassis" in the drive manual & say that it should be protected from (amongst other things) dust & metallic particles, oil mists and not in direct sunlight. That suggests to me that it should be mounted in a suitable enclosure - same as other inverters I have used. The manual also suggests the use of an input line reactor to improve power factor & a suitable input filter to reduce interference "if required" - which suggests that appropriate testing of the installation is required to determine if a filter is required. Presumably you did suitable testing & found that these were not required in this case ?

The above is not an opinion - it is all in the Omron VS mini J7 installation and operating manual. Did you really just screw inverters to the wall like that for Nestle etc. ?

Nigel B.

Thread: Neil Hemingway Kits
03/07/2020 20:01:33

or at least it did, until I read this on the Hemingway page:

[quote] The table assembly arrives engraved with 0 -180 divisions. [/quote]

As my machine does not have the markings, Michael, I can't say for certain. But Tony Jeffree has a build log for a later machine with some vey clear pictures here

Photo 20 is a close-up of the table & the graduations look more like punched than engraved to me - the raised areas around each mark can be seen where Tony stoned them off. The ends of the marks are square, where engraved marks would have rounded ends ?

Nigel B.

Thread: Emco FB2 Quirks and Additions
03/07/2020 12:05:03

I intend to add to this post from time to time.

yes

As a Taiwanese FB2 clone user, I look forward to the coming installments. I took the simple solution route to let mine breath by just backing off the filler cap by a turn & letting it breath through the thread clearance - not as subtle a solution as yours, Gray, but it seems to work OK.

Nigel B.

Thread: Neil Hemingway Kits
03/07/2020 11:58:03

A point that puzzles me a bit about the 'Worden' Tool-grinder is why, having gone to the trouble and customer's expense of (probably CNC-) engraving a big, clear degrees arc on the table, they did not have the numbers engraved too.

I doubt that the degree markings will be engraved, they will most likely have been stamped in by the CNC punch that punched the pieces from the parent sheet. So no great expense to add the marks if this is the case.

Be thankful that you got a version with the graduated table - my Worden is an early version & doesn't have these marks at all (just a plain table) so, at a guess, the sheet metal supplier had upgraded to a CNC punch with an indexable punch holder between the inital design (bearing rail near the wheel) & the later one (bearing rail at the rear). If you look closely at the marks, you will probably find the longer lines are made by stamping two short lines end to end, so only one tool required. Adding numbers would have required a lot more tools (0 to 9) & the CNC punches I have seen (which is admittedly not many !) didn't have very large tool carousels. I believe that some more modern machines also have a laser, so then laser engraving of the numbers would then be a viable option.

Nigel B.

Thread: TOOL BOXES
01/07/2020 20:36:20

I have a couple of "Stack On" 3 drawer roll cabinets, a "Stack On" 9 drawer chest & 3 drawer mid unit on top of one & an Aldi 3 drawer chest on the other.

The "Stack On" items came from Halfords & have stood up well to probably 20 years use. Far better quality than what must be very entry level Snap On units we have at work - these have "friction runners" on the drawers rather tha ball bearing slides & most have worn through now. They were very stiff to operate when loaded. The Aldi chest is not as good quality as the "Stack Ons"- the drawers are noticably flimsier, but it was cheaper. The "Stack On" items were also available branded as "American Pro" IIRC.

Also got one of Chronos's wooden toolmaker's chests when they were selling "seconds" at one of the Harrogate shows. Some were quite badly damaged, but I found one that had just sprung a joint in the main outer box. A smear of PVA in the joint & application of weight to hold it together and I can't see the repair. Overall a nicely made box - IIRC the seconds were £60-something, rather than the £120-ish normal price. Just need to make bench space to be able to use it.

A Clarke branded 3 door steel wall cupboard sits above the Super 7 & holds all the accessories for the lathe. All the cupboards have keyhole perforated backplates & it came with a variety of hooks & 3 shelves. This is pretty cheaply made but does the job - though I wouldn't pay the current £114 asking price from Machine Mart. Similar items are available on Ebay for around £70 at the moment & I was thinking about getting another to put near the milling machine & shaper.

Nigel B.

Thread: Tungsten carbide for shapers
01/07/2020 20:08:59

I have mainly used brazed tip carbide tools on my Boxford, as they were the only suitably sized tools I had to hand when I bought the machine. As they have worked well, I have not investigated HSS options until recently, when I bought a length of 1/2" square HSS to play with. Not sure of the provenance of the tools I use, but probably UK made rather than Far Eastern.

Can't say I have had any issues with chipping or dulling on the return stroke. I have been mainly roughing out steel parts to finish off on the lathe or mill, taking 1- 1.5mm DOC with a "couple of clicks" feed. Chips come off hot enough to make you take notice if they go down your shirt.

Turning or milling tools with inserted or brazed carbide tooling frequently encounter & deal with interrupted cuts - don't hear much of major problems in those applications.

Nigel B

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
EngineDIY
Allendale Electronics
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest