By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for tractionengine42

Here is a list of all the postings tractionengine42 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What did you do Today 2018
08/11/2018 16:58:23
Posted by Circlip on 05/11/2018 10:14:02:

Nigel, Triumph 5T adaptors, Is the head normally threaded or did that have to be done too? Venom Clubman has a pushed in spigot (REALLY bad idea).

Regards Ian.

Yes, as Thiagussi says, the exhaust ports on this 1959 Triumph 5T cylinder head are threaded, they are 1-1/2" x 16tpi with 55 deg included angle.

Nigel

Thread: laying up an engine
05/11/2018 19:51:48

Apparently Lanolin is a good rust preventative. for steel parts.

Presumably it's a copper boiler so I don't think should have a problem.

My 3" Allchin has a steel boiler, for winter storage I'm filling it to the brim with water + boiler treatment added at a concentration used for a 1st steaming when new. and protected from frost. I'm intending trying lanolin for bear steel parts.

If possible keep it in a warm place.

Hope that's of some help.

How about bees wax on bear steel parts?

Nigel

Edited By tractionengine42 on 05/11/2018 19:54:28

Thread: Double diamond tool
04/11/2018 17:08:42

Here's another interesting variant by ROBRENZ a master at his art.

Nigel

Thread: The right sort of paint!
04/11/2018 12:58:18

I used Precision Paints enamel on my 3" scale traction engine cleading which has 4mm insulation. I've only steamed it for 1 year but no problems with the paint. However, if you can get the heat resistant paint mentioned above in the colour you want then go with that.

Nigel

Thread: What did you do Today 2018
03/11/2018 18:05:45

Not today but earlier in the week I made some exhaust adapters for a 1959 Triumph 5T motor bike being restored locally, I nice pleasurable turning job apart from them being in 316 st st. I was amazed when they fitted the cylinder head perfectly. Plus I made a short video of the process.

exhaust adaptors.jpg

Nigel

Thread: The Workshop Progress thread 2018
01/11/2018 23:00:25

Thanks Paul,

The needles cost less than £2 the set and all the other materials were just some off cuts so a very cheap and quick project, the practice takes longer than the building.

I missed a digit off the last link, here it is again.

**LINK**

Nigel

01/11/2018 20:35:45

Hi

I have a Stuart 10V i'd like to paint and do a bit of lining on. I've done some lining with an old fashioned draughtsman pen but wanted to try a lining pen. I found some 'blunt dispensing needles' and used them to make a lining pen. My initial trials have given some pretty good results though I need to learn more of the technique. I made some video's to share the idea if anyone should be interested. 

lining pen and nibs

lining.jpg

**LINK**

**LINK**

**LINK**

Nigel

Edited By tractionengine42 on 01/11/2018 20:44:57

Thread: Oxy Acetylene or Oxy Propane?
01/10/2018 13:10:46

I use a rent free oxy bottle for my oxy propane set-up, in the long run I believe it will be more economical and would recommend giving this consideration. You pay a refundable deposit on the bottle, a oxy refill costs around £35 for a 9 litre bottle. My local auto spares supplies rent free welding gas and oxy. For hobby use you can expect one 9 or 10 litre oxy bottle to last a considerable length of time, after 1 year or so I've used 1/4 bottle. I mostly use my oxy propane for small fabrications and hot metal forming but have used it alongside a propane torch to silver solder a copper vertical boiler.

I did have an oxy propane set using disposable cylinders but found it too expensive to use regularly, this was some time ago though.

Nige

Thread: HQS taps and dies - anyone tried them?
22/07/2018 23:50:37

HQS taps and dies are carbon steel, I couldn't testify as to the steel grade or quality but HQS taps that I have bought have looked ok and worked well on a range of materials. Cheaper carbon steel taps have in some cases been ok and other cases terrible.

IMO for a tap or die that isn't to be used often then buying HQS will be a better guarantee of a tap or die that will cut a good thread otherwise, buy cheaper carbon steel taps ahd dies from and reputable supplier who will replace a faulty product.

Nige

Edited By tractionengine42 on 22/07/2018 23:51:34

Thread: Getting a brass plaque engraved
09/07/2018 09:34:25

Many cam software programs will import a pdf file, I've done a number of name plates this way using Vectric 2dCut cam software. Most home CNC machinists will be able to import a number of different formats. Personally I find pdf very convenient and with accurate results.

Nige

Thread: WIN 10 again!
08/04/2018 05:27:38

Had the same problem 3 times on my Acer desktop after a win10 update. First 2 times got into repair mode, 3rd time I could do nothing and had to reinstall win10 from an ISO image then reinstall all my sofwares and files.

Mght he coinsidence but after changing the internet settings to "metered connection" there are significantly less updates and have had no more problems. I had come to hate win10 but since the last reinstall and making this setting change a year ago I'v been ok with it

My better half has hard similar experiences on a Toshiba laptop.

I find Britec on YouTube to be a good source of help for dealing with win10.

Nige

Edited By tractionengine42 on 08/04/2018 05:28:14

Edited By tractionengine42 on 08/04/2018 05:29:14

Thread: Grinding carbide inserts
10/01/2018 10:42:20

Hi

I use a carbide insert parting tool. Initially I found it did not cut as well as expected and I didn't have much confidence using it . Recently, after very lightly grinding the front rake of the parting insert on a diamond wheel, I found it cut a great deal better and without any problems.

Nige

Thread: CNC Anyone recommend small firms that do it?
23/12/2017 10:30:20

Ron & Martin

I've sent you a PM.

Nige

Thread: lathe tool cutting oils
21/12/2017 11:56:16
Posted by Andrew Johnston on 21/12/2017 10:44:06

When I top up the coolant I use a refractometer to check the mixture strength. I aim to be in the middle of the manufacturer's recommended range, 7% if I remember correctly for my coolant.

Andrew

Andrew, is your refractometer something like this one?

**LINK**

Thanks

Nige

Thread: What Did You Do Today (2017)
16/12/2017 10:54:03
Posted by Joseph Noci 1 on 14/12/2017 20:35:56:

Some time has passed since I fitted my ELS to my EMCO V10P lathe, and so far I am very happy with how it all works, so much so that I have just finished fitting the same system to my new EMCO 14D Lathe ( well, nearly one year old now..)

Regards

Joe

Hi

What does the abbreviation ELS stand for?

Brilliant work!

Thanks

Nige

Edited By tractionengine42 on 16/12/2017 10:54:58

13/12/2017 10:52:07
Posted by Graeme W on 12/12/2017 17:03:19:
Posted by tractionengine42 on 11/12/2017 12:10:13:

Hi.

Converted a cheap mist coolant system into a 'mist busting' pressurised system for my cnc mill.

Nige, I've been experimenting with a similar setup, what are the dimensions of the nozzle you are using and how have you arranged the mixing of air/coolant?

Hi Graeme W

There is no mixing nozzle as such, the coolant simply drips into the air flow. The original block that came with the mist coolant effectively becomes a tee block, it's not necessary to start with a mist coolant.(I bought the mist coolant because it had the regulating valve at a very economical cost, but in the end that valve was ineffective).

All the tubing is all 4 mm o/d, the outlet nozzle is 4 mm o/d brass tube.

I have attached a rough schematic below. I considered a few much more elaborate arrangements, this very simple arrangement is working very much to my satisfaction, I wanted to have a very low coolant consumption, just enough to lubricate the cutter.

schematic of coolant system.jpg

Hope this helps and good luck with your set up.

Nige

Edit - The coolant exits the brass tube nozzle in droplets with no misting. 

Edited By tractionengine42 on 13/12/2017 10:55:21

11/12/2017 12:10:13

Hi.

Converted a cheap mist coolant system into a 'mist busting' pressurised system for my cnc mill.

I used a water supply filter casing as the pressurised coolant tank, so far it's works very well, the coolant flow can be adjusted from zero to a dribble (and faster). It was necessary to add an additional regulating valve in the coolant supply line, the regulating valve supplied with the standard mist coolant assembly didn't work very well.

The photo below shows the set up, the centre outlet from the tank supplies the coolant to the nozzle and the far right connection the air to the nozzle. It's not necessary to have a water trap on the inlet regulator, it's just what I had to hand. The top connection on the nozzle assembly is the coolant supply.

mist buster.jpg

Nige

28/11/2017 22:48:24

Hi Micheal W, cutting that vee shape was an opportunity to use my Elliott Omnimill using a vee shaped cutter in the horizontal spindle arbour. So that cutter that came with the mill has found at least one use.

Nige

Edited By tractionengine42 on 28/11/2017 22:49:03

Thread: Looking for model engineers in Scotland, Aberdeen / Glasgow
28/11/2017 18:58:52

Hi Jamie

I've sent you a PM.

Nige

Thread: What Did You Do Today (2017)
28/11/2017 14:23:24

Hi

Today I completed this tool which I believe is called a finger plate. No drawings just based upon what I can remember seeing from time to time.

I wanted a quick simple project with some nice milling and turning. This is a tool I have wanted for some time to help hold small parts for drilling and linishing etc. I think it should be useful.

A cross drilling feature is included with 2 aluminium bronze bushes to suit 2 sizes of spot drills I use, 3mm @ 5mm.

All materials from the scrap box and sizes determined by the size of the piece I used for the base block about 3" x 4". I think these tools are usually made much smaller.

finger plate.jpg

Nige

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Meridienne oct 2019
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
TRANSWAVE Converters
Warco
cowbells
Eccentric Engineering
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest