By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for tractionengine42

Here is a list of all the postings tractionengine42 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: MEW-169 Tool-post Grinder Article
28/10/2010 11:00:08
Steve
Understood, thanks.
Nigel
Thread: TPI Threads
28/10/2010 10:11:10
Hi
I believe BA threads are actually of metric origin and not imperial, their size being determined using a geometric progression going down from 6mm.

I think the French are to blame

????

Nigel
Thread: Convensional vs climb milling
28/10/2010 10:04:42
Hi Bogs and kwil
Thanks for your additional input all of which I fully agree with.

Yes, on reflection I don't think beginners should try climb milling but rather be aware of the two conditions in order to avoid it.

I must confess to having broken cutters by accidently climb milling and when I live dangerously and do it deliberately a little pressure on the table locking screws is used. So it may increase slide way ware a little but I doubt if I will be around long enongh to worry.

Cheers
Nigel
28/10/2010 01:59:01
Hi
Came across this link

convensional vs climb milling

which I thought would interest those new to milling.

I often use climb milling with light cuts to get a better finish but you have to be very careful about backlash in your leadscrew, graet care is needed,

Nigel
Thread: MEW-169 Tool-post Grinder Article
28/10/2010 01:41:32
Hi

Steve, thanks for the diagram, comfirms what you've been saying.

If the work is held between centres then you will have to 'not climb grind'? Am I right?

Maybe way back this is where the need for the grinding wheel and work surfaces moving in opposite directions originated, I would imagine in days gone that working between centres would be more common.

I have always shayed away from trying toolpost grinding but I have learnt so much from this thread I will be giving it ago. I have a Sherline headstock with variable speed upto 10,000 rpm, I am thinking that I should be able to set up a fairly ridged arrangement on my 6" centre lathe and use the variable speed to get the right periferal speed for the grinding wheel diameter. Would not be suitable for using grinding points though, higher rpm would be needed.

Nigel
Thread: Desperate ! Need parts list for Warco WM-240 lathe
26/10/2010 16:55:20
Hi Rik
On Thursday 21st David Clark says he sent Warco details of your problem to Warco. After 2 full working days, Friday and Monday, have they resolved this situation and emailed you the parts list you need?
My order for them awaits the outcome.

Thanks
Nigel
Thread: Solution to pianting problem?
01/10/2010 19:26:23
Hi fellow Model Engineers

Unfortunatly part of model engineering is painting!

I would appreciate your thoughts and experiences as to how I can improvr my paint finish.

Background - I work overseas most of the year, during my recent 3 week visit home I was keen to complete the painting of my 3" scale Allchin tender (excluding lining).
After 3 gloss rub downs and paint spray I have ended up with a very glossy but orange peel finish, that is, reflections in the paint surface are bright but fuzzy rather than bright and clear.The paint layer is now quite thick. I am using Precision paints enamel with 20% fast drying thinners.

I know there are so many variables but I think the problem (apart from my inpatients due to limited time) has been that the paint I am using is from a half full tin standing over a year and not enough thinning. (When painting the horn plates a couple of years ago I did not have a problem but the same formula has not worked this time).

Proposed action - I am now faced with another rub down but rather than spray again, as the paint is quite thick, I was wondering if I could rub down with 1200 wet & dry, 'T' cut and polish to get a flat paint finish. I would line out after 'T' cutting then polish.

What do you think?

Nigel

Thread: Centre drill misalignment
03/08/2010 11:49:48
Hi Sam
Thanks for your post, it's uncovered some interesting stuff I did not know.
Hi Bogs
Thanks for that very interesting info on spot drills and also the link.

I notice there are 120 deg and 90 deg spot drills available, which would be prefered?

Thanks

Nigel

Thread: Real Way lube problems?
31/07/2010 04:13:26
Hi Kwil
You say the felt used is a special grade, I am interested to know what grade felt and where to buy it. Anybody know?

Many thanks
Nigel

Edited By tractionengine42 on 31/07/2010 04:13:51

Thread: Suppliers of Copper Boilers
27/07/2010 15:09:06
Hi Dennis
Just wondering if you received my reply to your message? and if so if it was any help.
Nigel
25/07/2010 09:31:30
Hi Dennis
I am not sure I should promote any specific supplier on the forum. If you send me a message (click message member) I will give you my suppliers details.

Nigel
Thread: Jacobs Gear Hobber
25/07/2010 09:27:39
As far as I know, a pinion is just a gear cut integral on a shaft and in use engages with a rack, i.e. rack and pinion, otherwise it's a gear.
I notice the CES gear hobber uses a vertical slide, are castings for this included in the kit? I am also interested in building one of these well, it's on my list of projects.

Nigel
Thread: Suppliers of Copper Boilers
25/07/2010 05:03:18
Dennis
Would you consider a steel boiler, this might be a cheaper option for a boiler this big. My 3" scale Allchin steel boiler cost me £700 several yeras ago so I recon maybe £1000 today. It's worth shopping around, at the time I got quotes ranging from £700 to £1500.

The company I bought my boiler from currently offer a 7-1/4" Bagnall boiler for around £600. (may not be latest price). They may be able to help you with your requirements.

You would need to check what the boiler dimensions will be as compared to a copper boiler. In my case the boiler barrel was a little bigger than the copper equivalent.

Nigel

I just noticed the 7-1/4 Bagnall boiler price list is 2001 so will be a lot more now.

Edited By tractionengine42 on 25/07/2010 05:15:44

Thread: wind turbine
25/07/2010 04:44:18
 Fascinating thread this.

Pardon my ignorance but this is the first time I have heard of a Savonius wind turbine. Thanks Steve for your link to the research document, I was wondering how these looked and worked, sounds like these can be put to many uses.

Can anyone recommend any further reading material.

My machines and outside lighting have halogen bulbs, which I believe draw quite a high current.  I am wondering if I can use a Savonius to provide low volt lighting in my workshop and garden, maybe using a car alternator and electrics to charge batteries so that there is a continuity of supply. Possibly use low volt motors to drive machine coolant pumps.

Could I use a Savonius turbine to provide frost protection during the winter months? One thing I am not short of is wind.

Am I getting carried away?

Nigel

Thread: Massey Ferguson Tractor on front cover of ME 4382
23/07/2010 07:58:40

Well Chris, if you are having a dig at me I don't consider myself a whinger, I am just expressing my view, "weren't there any models at this rally?", If there were they should have been included considering the nature of the magazine. I think rally reports should have some model content.

I just renewed my subscription to MEW and ME so I still have my dummy firmly in hand and will be sucking like mad when I read the forth coming issues. 

I take any opportunity to see the full size thing and as such enjoyed the engineers’ day out articles, I have a few places on my list to visit now, roll on retirement.  When I look at full size I am always thinking how interesting it would be make the scale parts and how I could do it.

It's great to see discussion, history and photos in ME when they relate to a model that is being or has been built, it's very interesting to see how the model compares to the full size prototype and the scale problems encountered along the journy.

I know it's difficult to get a balance in ME especially when relying on hobbyists providing content.

Twice I have suggested articles for ME that I could contribute but had no response one way or the other. Maybe I will have another go, I don't want to spend time writing if the material is not suitable.

Nigel

21/07/2010 01:49:00
Hi 
I have never been to a rally that did not have some model traction engines chuffing around (and often a model tent), at rallies I look for these first, weren't they’re any at this rally. I don't mind rally articles provided there is some model content, I did not notice any photos of models so did not read the article.

While I like to see the full scale for real, in the magazine it's the models that give me inspiration and interest. I love to see the achievements of other people.

All article should retain some model content, I don't care much what it is, I prefer to see lots of variety, so long as it models. It's great when some different and/or unusual modelling article is featured; I don't care if it's simple or complex.

For me a cover photo of a MODEL MF is more inspirational than the real thing.
Nigel

BTW the rest of the magazine is a good blend for me, all interesting.

Edited By tractionengine42 on 21/07/2010 01:50:48

Edited By tractionengine42 on 21/07/2010 01:55:38

Thread: Antivirus
18/07/2010 01:36:19
This person is probably an affiliate seller, if you click on the links and eventually make a software purchase then the affiliate gets a commission. Affiliates use forums to look for opportunities to post a link that contains thier affilliate id with a seller. Usually they are much more subtle than this.
So my guess is this person could be trying to use members of this forum to earn some cash.

Nigel
Thread: Adjustable v-ledges
14/07/2010 23:42:37
Hi
These jib strips sometimes have a screw at opposite ends as on my own machine. To reduce clearance you have to back off the screw at the thin end then make your adjuustment using the screw at the thick end. Once adjusted retighten the screw at the thin end. (and vice versa). Don't know if this applies to your machine, if you only have a screw at one end (it wil be the thick end) then screwing it in will reduce clearance and vice versa.
Hope this helps
Nigel

Edited By tractionengine42 on 14/07/2010 23:43:58

Thread: Subscriber - only downloads
07/07/2010 14:42:46

Hi

Everything is geared to buying subscriptions, free gifts, free downloads etc. Business is business and magazines have to sell to survive.

Can ME & MEW print a voucher in the magazine that can be exchanged for Internet access even for a limited period? Or maybe the newsagent could issue a voucher for those with a regular order? Surly some scheme can be arranged.

>>

I do subscribe only because I work overseas most of the time, once I am back home full time I will be supporting my local newsagent, he a local lad running a business that brings community to the local area. I miss the people I used to meet when collecting my magazine
Thread: ME digital mag file corrupted
04/07/2010 02:27:51
just to let you know, when I tried to access the latest ME digital issue I got a message saying that the file could be corrupted and should be reloaded using emag or something.
I am away from home overseas most of the time so rely on digital issues are great for me.

Cheers
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Meridienne; London MES
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
TRANSWAVE Converters
cowbells
Ausee.com.au
Warco
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest