By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for tractionengine42

Here is a list of all the postings tractionengine42 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Copies of Old Model Engineer magazines on disk?
27/11/2011 02:09:38
Here is a previous post re. ME on CD.

Nigel
My link does not seem to work, here is the URL: http://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=33408

Edited By tractionengine42 on 27/11/2011 02:11:11

Thread: Vectric 2DCut and Mach3
19/11/2011 12:29:19
Hi ian
I use autodesk inventor for my work so I am able to use this for creating quite a few dxf and stl files for my cnc work. This software allows you to fit text to a curve.

If I can help you with a particular requirement send me a PM and I will see what I can do.

Nigel
Thread: what does this mean on a drawing
15/11/2011 15:41:11
Here is a useful tolerance chart
hole tolerance
Thread: Scriber
14/10/2011 18:01:31
I have been using a 0.1mm dia x 10 deg carbide engraving cutter, it has half it's dia ground away like a 'D' bit making the point 0.05mm. I have found it provides a good line for locating a center punch and hard wearing, thay are very cheap on ebay, just bought some 5 for 5 pound + 3 pound p&p. They are advertised as PCB engraving cutters

Just to clarify, I am not engraving the line, I am using the engraving cutter as a scriber, The cutter is 1/8" dia, I drilled the end of a 3/8" bar and loctited it in.
Nigel

Edited By tractionengine42 on 14/10/2011 18:06:20

Thread: Vectric 2DCut and Mach3
12/10/2011 15:29:53

Ha Ha.
You did get me, for a moment I thought it was "back to the CNC" or should that be drawing board

Edited By tractionengine42 on 12/10/2011 15:35:26

Edited By tractionengine42 on 12/10/2011 15:36:45

12/10/2011 14:14:25
Result

1st Vectric 2DCut engrave
2nd Vectric 2DCut - pocket mill
Allchin Front Wheel Hub
Milling cutter 0.2mm x 20 deg engraving cutter, 8000 rpm, 200mm/min max.
23500 lines of code.
A liitle more conventional machine work to do then just need to infill with red enamel and polish

Nigel

Edited By tractionengine42 on 12/10/2011 14:19:17

Edited By tractionengine42 on 12/10/2011 14:26:21

10/10/2011 10:33:35
Hi
I don't usually look at a manual until I have broken something, so I thought this time I would get ahead of myself.

The mach 3 manual actually explains very well what John has advised and I can now begin to understand this absolute and incremental stuff.

This website seems very good if your just learning G-code, click on a g code and you can walk through a visual illustration of what the Gcode is doing. looks good to me anyway.

Nigel

Edited By tractionengine42 on 10/10/2011 10:44:03

09/10/2011 20:50:28
Hi John
Sorry to hear your frustration, it's such a waste of valuable time when these things happen.

You will have gathered I am very new to cnc but learning fast. Just this post has shown me allot by pointing me in the right direction.

My startup string only has G80 so I will add the others you mention. I checked the gcode on the programme and the codes you mention are at the beginning so I guess vectric is doing a good job there and all should be safe.

I am keeping my feed rates very low until I feel a bit more confident.

Cheers
Nigel
09/10/2011 19:35:39
Hi John
BTW, I also wish you had a pound for every time you have answerd my question, your worth every penny.

Thanks again

Nigel
09/10/2011 19:27:54
Hi john
Your second post must have arrived as I was making my reply.

Thanks for the additional info. Currently I am dedicated to metric so will have a look at what your saying.

I was thinking of having a metric and imperial configurtion and loading either via Mach3 loader. I assume that should work OK?

I was just wondering, the setting I have just changed from absolute to incrfemental, is there likely to be a circumstance where I would need to change it back?

Thanks again
Nigel

09/10/2011 19:18:58
Hi Guys

Jim, yes I saved under mach2/3 mm

John, I made the config changes you stated and it's now working perfect.

I obviously need to learn more about config options.

Thanks so much, I had not expected such a quick and easy solution, that's the power of forum's, superb community support.

Cheers
Nigel

09/10/2011 18:04:36

Here is a Preview from Vectric showing what the expected result should be.

Cheers.

Nigel
09/10/2011 17:46:28

Hi
I am just starting out on cnc and trying to use 2DCut to generate G code for Mach3.
I have tried several projects, some from dxf files and others drawn in 2Dcut but all with the same result.

All seems well in the 2DCut programme, the preview works OK. It saves the Gcode as a text file, when I load this into Mach3 there are masses of circular tool paths As can be seen in the above screen shot.. The actual tool paths wanted are in there (red lines) but obviously something is a miss.

Anyone using Vectric 2DCut and Mach3? Any ideas of what the problem is.

Incidentally I have used Meshcam to machine some test 3D shapes without any problem so I am sure this is to do with how 2DCut is processing the Gcode.

Any help appreciated.

By the way, I have tried to register with the Vectric Forum but it yells me my IP address is not permitted, hmm I have paid my money now.

Thanks
Nigel

PS. the profile I am trying to machine in this case is that of a Jaguar (cat). I will screen shot fron Vetric to my album to show the intended result.

Edited By tractionengine42 on 09/10/2011 17:50:05

Edited By tractionengine42 on 09/10/2011 17:50:43

Thread: Oil grooves in piston valves
16/09/2011 13:17:46
303 is the free cutting grade of st st, machines very easily compared to 316 and easily polishes to a mirror finish.

If you want to stay with the drawing dimensioins of 1/64 wide a 1/16 deep another method might be to mill them using a slitting saw in the mill. Put the part in a chuck on a rotary table, feed the slitting saw to cutting depth and slowly rotate the table.

Nigel

Edited By tractionengine42 on 16/09/2011 13:18:13

Thread: bearing material,
26/07/2011 09:39:27
Hi Charlie

I built the 10V many years ago.

I am sure the bearings are extruded brass but do not know what grade of brass.

Don't think you can purchase anywhere else, not that I have seen anyway.

Nigel
Thread: GETTING CNC WORKING
25/07/2011 16:03:42
Hi

Is your parallel port working in the correct mode? Do the drivers need EPP mode?

Here's my tale of woe:

I am having similar problems getting my computer to talk to my Gecko drivers correctly this last month.

Like you I am using XP, my drivers require my parallel port to be in EPP mode, if you have an on board parallel port it can usually be changed in the bios.

I do not have an on board port so I am using a PCI I/O card. Unfortunately for me, although the literature says it's EPP compatible when fitted it installs automatically in ECP mode and I can't find any way to change the config.

This seems to be why I can't get the system working, maybe you’re having similar problems for similar reasons.

Now I am trying to find a PCI parallel port I can set to EPP, hopefully one that uses a jumper setting so there is no option on installation.

I am not computer literate so I hope the above makes sense and maybe help you out.

The guys on Artsoft/Mach forun have been a great help.

Cheers

Nigel

Thread: Vertex Auto Tapping Head
19/06/2011 13:04:56
Thanks David
Someone is sure to put up a youtube video, so let me be the first this time. First time I have seen this operation/tool.

Richard, interesting tool. Good luck with it if you buy one.

Nigel
19/06/2011 08:30:47
Hi
Do you use ordiary taps with the auto tapping heads, so for a blind hole taper, second, and plug or do you need to use machine taps? Does it matter?

Nigel
Thread: Quorn Kit
11/06/2011 06:36:49
David
I think that looks a great project, a much faster and easier build than the Quorn. It's ideal for the begiinner as there is plenty scope to easily add your own variation and "improvements".

It's easier to use ones own expeience to modify a design, it's much more difficult to orgininate a design (and keep everyone happy).

JD. part of the satisfaction is to add your own stamp onto a project, this design is an ideal starting point for developing your own inventive skills and ideas. I don't think ME needs to be concerned to much about intimate detail, leave it to the hobby to develop the initial idea as each individual sees fit, beginners will learn from that discussion and experience.

I think it looks fine as it is and will do the job intended.

My variation would be to raise the bed and have the motor underneath and perhaps use a poly vee belt and yes, make it right hand. May be I will make an epoxy-concrete base just for the experience and joy thanks to another thread on this forum.

I am sure there are plenty ideas to share.

Cheers
Nigel

Oh, BTW I will paint mine orange (how do you get coloured text?)

Edited By tractionengine42 on 11/06/2011 06:37:59

Edited By tractionengine42 on 11/06/2011 06:39:56

Thread: Using Micrometer/Hi-Spot blue
25/05/2011 12:55:51
Pat
I am just trying to get my head around the method you have explained, I always assumed that you would scrape the blue though I have not done any scraping. I would have done the same as Peter describes.

Suppose I was scraping a gib strip and using a flat surface plate as a reference. The way I understand what you are saying is that I would blue the gib strip, rub this against a clean reference surface and the blue would be moved to the low points, therefore I should scrape the clean metal showing through. Is that right? Or does it matter which is blued, the reference surface or the gib?

As I am writing this I am beginning to think it does not matter which you blue or even if both are blued, so long as the blue is applied very sparingly the high spots on both will rub and clean away the blue from said high spots. The trick must be in having the blue applied very sparingly.

So the same would apply to a bearing?

Nigel
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Meridienne; London MES
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
TRANSWAVE Converters
cowbells
Ausee.com.au
Warco
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest