By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for tractionengine42

Here is a list of all the postings tractionengine42 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: looking for Bronze
21/04/2012 00:19:23

Hi

Try Holme Dodsworth.

Nigel

Thread: Minishot 2 injection moulder machine
18/04/2012 01:55:58

Maybe rty a forum like this one

Nigel

Thread: 2mm Milling Cutter
17/04/2012 01:55:02

Hi

After breaking a couple of 1mm and 2mm slot drills on my cnc I now almost exclusively use carbide (pcb) engraving cutters on brass and gunmetal. Now I can do small milling with confidence and have never broken one of these, I am using 1mm wide cutter for most milling but down to 0.1mm or finishing and engraving.

One problem is, although my spindle max is 10,000 rpm, it's much happier at about 6000 rpm so not great.

Mind you these slot drills, although new ,were not great on sharpness, they were cheap but expensive to break.

Because the engraving cutter has tapered sides, sides need to be finished will the slot drill/endmill but for some jobs it does not matter.

I am using a small Sherline I converted to cnc.

These engraving cutters have one flat side like a 'D' bit, the 0.1mm cutter (very sharp) actually makes a good scriber point, the flat edge helps when scribing a line along a rulers edge.

Nigel

Thread: spline shaft cutters
15/04/2012 10:36:05

Splines can be of involute form and cut using an internal gear shaping method.

In a jobbing shop internal splines may also be done by spark erosion (EDM).

Or wire erosion

Nigel

Edited By tractionengine42 on 15/04/2012 10:37:45

Thread: Toolmaker's Clamps
06/04/2012 03:06:13

When it comes to tool makers clamps, size is not everytrhing.

I made some from 3/16" square bar and about an inch and a bit long. 6BA threads if I remember correctly.

I bet mine are not the smallest though.

Nigel

Thread: Hobbymat sale?????
10/03/2012 13:53:29

Bill

I would very much appreciate it if you could pass this message on to Lukas Walter, I am sure he is a very kind and generous person and I would like to give him this wonderful opportunity.

Unfortunately the aforementioned Sir Ashley Owen finds himself in a bit of a pickle and rather financially embarrassed. As a victim of scammers he lost all his money from his UK bank account, now without funds he is unable to access his offshore millions located in a bank in Timbuck Two. It saddens me so much to see my dear friend and employer in this very difficult position, I only wish I could help him myself. Without access to his offshore funds Sir Ashley's estate will fall into ruins.

If Lukas could send some money to the amount of 5000GBP Sir Ashley will than be able to release his offshore funds. If Lukas would be so very kind to do this Sir Ashey will generously reward him by paying 200,000 GBP directly into his personal bank account. If Lukas would be so kind to post his full bank details on this forum Sir Ashley will transfer this money promptly.

Kind Regards

Butler, Chauffeur, Cook

Thread: Alpine Mill/Drill
27/02/2012 02:59:05

Hi

If the 3MT /2MT sleeve protrudes below the end of the spindle a little you could turn a blank disc the diameter of the MT sleeve, weld it to the end of the MT sleeve, then drop a bar down the spindle bore and tap it out.

Or

Turn a piece of bar to 2MT and loctite it into the sleeve, place a bar down the spindle bore and tap it out.

Nigel

Edited By tractionengine42 on 27/02/2012 03:01:32

Thread: What is EN24 like to machine?
23/02/2012 17:48:22

Hi Rakesh

Here is some info on heat traeted conditions of EN24.

Can't realy give any specific help with heat traetement but I guess you will heat to cherry red, soak at that temp for a while, quench in oil, temper to a light purple. This might help.

444HB converts to 48 RC

Nigel

Thread: The dreaded drilling job!
20/02/2012 16:44:53

Tony

I cannot remember the exact arrangement but there was a method given in ME similar to that shown below. This arrangement allows you to position the drill and determine the drill exit point.

Drilling cylinder ports

maybe others have used this method?

Nigel

Thread: buying copper for boiler makeing
20/02/2012 16:27:26

Hi

When riveting for silver soldering should you stop short of completely closing the rivet in order to maintain a few thou gap the for silver solder to flow between the joining surfaces.

I understand it's important to maintain a few thou gap to get a sound joint?

Nigel

Thread: New website editor
19/02/2012 22:56:46
Posted by Wolfie on 17/02/2012 23:04:13:

Use Notepad which is a text editor or download the free Notepad++

If you want to use text from ms word you can avoid problems by pasting it into notepad, then copy that and paste into your post.

Nigel

Thread: Quorn Castings
19/02/2012 22:32:56
Posted by JasonB on 29/08/2011 18:59:52:
Martin Model in the US do castings if you are stuck

J

Hobby Mechanics in Australia also supply Quorn castings

Nigel

Edited By tractionengine42 on 19/02/2012 22:45:13

Thread: UK Supplier of Imperial Acme Threaded Bar?
18/02/2012 13:24:46

Hi Paul

You could try here this company

Nigel

Thread: Message to the Webmaster!
18/02/2012 12:45:42

Got it

Thanks Terry

Nigel

18/02/2012 11:54:11

OK, (as mentioned by others) by going to the tools menu and adding this website to compatibility view under compatibility settings, everything seems to work.

test in compatibility view

But where do I find the embedded code fo rthis youtube video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tAzL8eD61U

using explorer 9.0.5

But I don't think it's acceptable to expect users to have to change default settings just to be on this one forum. Not everyone is confident making changes to their settings.

Nigel

Edited By tractionengine42 on 18/02/2012 11:56:05

Edited By tractionengine42 on 18/02/2012 11:57:23

18/02/2012 03:09:00

Wondering what all the fuss is about thought I do my own test.

Test 1. Failed

I typed some text, highlighted it and clicked the add link icon, Explorer went white and freezed up so I had to close the page.

Using windows 7 64 bit & explorer 9.0.5 (updated yesterday)

This is test 2 - text only.

Nigel

(Apparently I can't spell my name)

Well test 2, text only works and can be edited.

Edited By tractionengine42 on 18/02/2012 03:09:43

Thread: Forum niggles
14/02/2012 18:47:15
Hi
I find it much better when links in posts are set to open in a new window

Most don't seem to do this.

Makes it a little easier to get back the ME post.

Nigel
Thread: Rolls Royce engines going global in Singapore
03/02/2012 16:54:06
Hi
For the last 3 years I have been working in Singapore (needs must) so have some direct experience in this area.
The Singapore government wants to modernise and increase their manufacturing base by attracting high end foreign manufacturing companies; they also want to improve the skills of Singaporeans so more of these jobs go to local residents thus less dependent on foreign workers.
To this end the government is investing heavily providing very attractive training and startup grants.
Their economy is not dependent upon credit, is very stable and has fared as one of the best during the current recession; also they are well located for the growing Asian market.
With all the European economy problems and growing markets moving east I think you can expect to see more of this happening.
Nigel
Thread: Drilling brass - seizing
02/02/2012 01:59:35
Hi
If you sharpen the drill with one flute slightly longer than the other the drill will cut slightly over size.
Not good practice but maybe will prevent jamming?

Just a thought.

Nigel
Thread: Rep Rap
30/01/2012 16:40:34
Hi Robert
If it's 2 Dimensional then machining the image with cnc should not be a problem. If the image can be drawn in a 2d cad package a dxf file format can be saved which is ideal.

With the right software it's also possble to use images in Jpeg or pdf file format.

If for some reason your requirement is 3 dimensional, then the most convienient approach would be to model the part in a 3d cad package from which can be saved an stl file format.

Nigel

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
Allendale Electronics
cowells
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest