By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for tractionengine42

Here is a list of all the postings tractionengine42 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
01/11/2019 09:47:56

Continued my 5"g LION build series bending up the throat plate, proved to be a challenge to get good tight corners.

The previously flanged material pulled in at the sides so I learnt the lesson that I should have made an allowance when I made the blank ready for flanging and should have left some additional material at the sides. However, because the the sides are right up to the flange and the flange blends into the corner radius the width of contact for silver soldering remains pretty much constant, so it looks like I got away with that one.

For anyone interested in following my build here's this particular video: Bending the Throat Plate

throat plate 2.jpg

20/10/2019 16:05:32

Amazing work Richard! Looks Great!

Nigel

08/10/2019 17:04:50

One of the links in my post above doesn't seem to work. here's another which hopefully will.

Lion Boiler Build pt1

Nigel

08/10/2019 16:59:36

I've occasionally posted on here my progress building my Lion boiler, I had taken lots of video and have decided to have a bash at building a video series of my build.

Today I uploaded my second video, for any one interested here's a link: Lion Boiler Build pt2

Part 1 is an introduction which is here :Lion Boiler Build pt 1

Here it is finished, now I'm busy with the frames, horn plates and wheels.

lion 34.jpg

I hope my videos help anyone thinking of building a model of this historic loco.

BTW, Very nice work George on that crank.

Nigel

Edited By tractionengine42 on 08/10/2019 17:01:47

07/10/2019 19:27:15

Mick

So you have a mill with a 'Dead Man' switch, cool!

Nigel

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread 2019
27/09/2019 15:18:11

5" Lion build.

Finally, after what seems endless hours and problems with weeping bushes I have a water tight boiler on the third hydraulic test, held 160psi for 15 minutes.

It's not pretty but it's water tight.

I received a great tip, after the boiler was finished off course, when making the threaded bushes drill and tap them with a blind hole then, when you test the boiler you don't need to fit blanking plugs, once the boiler is tested successfully finish drilling and tapping the threaded bushes.

I have done the boiler first as this was the biggest challenge, so pleased I can now get on with the frames and wheels etc.

Nigel

boiler on test.jpg

Edited By tractionengine42 on 27/09/2019 15:18:30

Thread: Allchin
27/09/2019 15:05:59
Posted by RICHARD CALLIS on 27/09/2019 13:44:08:

In the 2018 boiler guide it states that either the water gauge or injector can be fed from the manifold but not both. Has anyone overcome this.

Cheers

Richard

I've built a 3" Allchin with a steel boiler.

I fitted a plug between the two ports on the manifold, then ran a pipe from the boiler to the other end of the manifold so that the manifold is fed from both sides and each side only feeds one outlet.

My boiler has two ports under the crankshaft, I used one of these, I fitted a custom low profile elbow to it and ran the pipe under the gears and up to the manifold, it's a bit tight but easy enough to find a route that does not clash with anything moving. I used 1/4" pipe.

If you're building a 1-1/2" with a copper boiler then maybe you can add a threaded bush to the top of the boiler in a suitable location.

Nigel

Edited By tractionengine42 on 27/09/2019 15:29:55

Thread: Heartbroken!
16/08/2019 15:54:49

I broke a 7 BA tap in a blind hole the other day, I managed to grind away the tap using a small diamond coated burrs with a Dremel. I basically ground away the centre portion of the tap after initially grinding the top surface reasonably flat to get a good start. I used a fine pointed burr and a very small spherical burr, alternating between the two.

I did this with the aid of a desk illuminated desk magnifying glass.

It took 15 - 20 minutes and I was surprised how well the it went. 8ba is a little smaller though but I think manageable by this method.

Nigel

04/08/2019 19:00:09

My 5"g Lion Boiler is progressing, I'm finding silver soldering this mass of copper very challenging but I think I've done an OK job even though some looks a bit messy, soon find out on the hydrostatic test, fingers crossed. Hope to be finished this boiler in a couple of weeks.

boiler front.jpg

boiler rear.jpg

boiler side.jpg

The drawings show a square manhole on the boiler dome and I initially machined, drilled and tapped the dome casting accordingly.

dome sq.jpg

However, the loco in the Museum of Liverpool has a round manhole on the boiler dome.

lion cover.jpg

I decided to modify my dome casting to resemble the full size loco. I bored out the dome casting, machined up a ring and silver soldered it in place. One benefit is that I can use a silicon 'O'ring as a seal.

dome rd2.jpg

dome rd1.jpg

I'll be allot happier when I can get back to machining parts rather than very nerve racking silver soldering.

Nigel

Thread: Timesaver - which grades?
11/07/2019 11:07:18
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 11/07/2019 10:56:24

My experience is much depends on the start point. If there are deep scratches then it's quicker to start coarse and step methodically down through all the grades. Conversely, when the lathe delivers a good surface from the get go, it's not smart to make extra work by spoiling it with a coarse grit!

The goal is to never use a fine grit to remove a significant amount of metal. As it takes forever, fine grades are best kept for finishing only.

Dave

Good point, when lapping I think it's beneficial aim for a smooth machined finish from which to start lapping.

Nigel

Edited By tractionengine42 on 11/07/2019 11:07:45

10/07/2019 15:22:14

I've lapped in bronze half bearings and only used the fine (yellow) grade and it quickly smoothed out the machining marks on a 3/4" diameter bearing, that said I think you will be ok with medium and fine for your application, you may be surprised at the rate of metal removal.

I used Medium Green on steel gears on my 3" traction engine, it worked a treat with only one application, made them smooth and much quieter.

Time saver is not like conventional lapping compounds, it does not embed into metals so won't embed into either of the components, it disintegrates and can then be washed/cleaned off.

Nigel

Thread: Beamish Museum
08/07/2019 09:29:01

There's also some interesting old machines at the Tanfield Railway workshops (not far from Beamish) including a small planer, (though it's been a few years since i visited). Not been to Beamish for 20 years, I think a visit is on the cards.

Nigel

30/05/2019 08:47:24

Thanks Duncan. Your recollection is correct, I have an ME article 21st Dec 1973 that gives corrections to the 5"g valve gear.

Nigel

29/05/2019 10:41:04

Started a new project, 5"g Lion. These are the boiler parts ready for the dreaded silver soldering, I'm tackling the boiler first as that is the biggest challenge for me, if I can achieve this then I can finish the engine.

I'm generally following the LBSC drawings but using photo's I took of the full size engine in the Liverpool City museum to add detail.

lion boiler parts 2.jpg

Nigel

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
02/04/2019 10:32:17

Anthony

Could be hydrogen embrittlement, higher strength/hardness materials are more susceptible. I'm not an expert but basically the material absorbs hydrogen atoms which results in material becoming very susceptible to brittle failure and unable to sustain it's normal/design loads.

It can be cured buy heating the component over several hours at something like 200 deg but must be done very soon after the hydrogen embrittlement occurs, If not done in time then the heat treatment is not effective.

It's normal practice for High tensile components to have hydrogen enbrittlement prevention heat treatment done after various plating processes etc were the material may have absorbed hydrogen atoms.

Nigel

Edited By tractionengine42 on 02/04/2019 10:33:17

Thread: Huloo from North East Scotland
17/03/2019 10:25:53

Hi Roy

I'm not that far from you, just west of Alford.

Good to hear of another enthusiast in the NE Scotland. I am a member of the Aberdeen Model Engineering Society.

I did set up a face book page "here" as a place for local enthusiasts to communicate, but so far not done much to promote it, the little promotion I did didn't get any interest, but am keeping the page open for a while longer and maybe enough people may become interested in time.

Anyway, enjoy your new mill, it's exiting getting new tools and learning new skills, and it's great to share our home shop/modeling activity.

Nigel

Thread: What did you do Today 2018
07/12/2018 13:58:44

Andrew, I'm using a 0.2mm/20 deg point carbide engraving cutter at 20k rpm.

Nigel

07/12/2018 10:59:07

Another small name plate done on my home converted cnc mill. Very happy with this result.

10 v plate.jpg

Nigel

Thread: Mach 3 doesnt see UC100 contoller
07/12/2018 10:43:44

I'm using a uc300 with mach 3 on a windows 7 desktop computer. I had consistent problems with the UC300 disconnecting in the middle of a job and tried all sorts to resolve it. Then i realised the problem only occurred when I had the radio on, never had any problem since having the radio off while the cnc is running.

At first I thought it might be coincidence but after many months of reliable operation it seems to have been the problem. Presumably the radio is putting out some electrical noise.

Probably not related to your problem but thought I'd mention it.

Nigel

Edited By tractionengine42 on 07/12/2018 10:49:12

Thread: What did you do Today 2018
25/11/2018 20:11:46

Thanks Neil, A blob of paint on the '8' will be too much, probably a tiny spec of paint will fix it, LOL.

BTW, that brick work on your model also looks fantastic.

Nigel

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
TRANSWAVE Converters
Ausee.com.au
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowbells
ChesterUK
Meridienne; London MES
Eccentric Engineering
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest