By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for peter smith 5

Here is a list of all the postings peter smith 5 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Help in identifying antique milling machine.
17/11/2021 20:55:00

On mine the threads were USA, and the name was cast onto the door. If going to be badged it would be easier to just change the door.

Thread: New Holbrook Lathe to replace my Boxford
17/11/2021 18:47:27

In 1966 I had great pleasure in being given a guided tour, just me, around their factory in Harlow, Essex. WOW. I even met senior members of the family. I believe the grandson tried to resurrect the company but could not compete with cheaper imports.

I watched them being hand scraped to get perfect fits, machining parts on their own lathes all being done by time served gentlemen in white coats. They really were the Rolls Royces of machine.

I watched fascinated at a lathe Turning 3D elliptical press tools to press out stainless dishes. Alas all the photographs and specs that I had got destroyed in a school fire.

Thread: Help in identifying antique milling machine.
17/11/2021 18:27:43

Denby or Denbeigh. Origen USA, but some made in uk under licence. I had one very similar. Previous owner had welded a “ vertical head” onto the end of the overarm and bolted a motor onto the back One speed via belt and pulley. Shame the head was at 93 degrees.
After a lot of work, remachining the head I used the 3 step pulleys and back gear from a ML10, refaced the table and managed to get rid of most of the backlash.

The major problem was that the longitudinal and cross feeds turned the wrong way but it was all I could afford at the time. I donated it after 10 plus years to a friend who makes fairground type organs as a dedicated wood Miller making pockets for reeds.

it appeared in catalogues pre 1910 but not in the 1920’s.

Thread: A SIMPLE POINT !
28/08/2021 20:22:57

Av we finished wiv this Fred???

everyone’s going nuts abouwt it.

wot about left handed Fred’s??

The real thing is

”don’t screw me wivout a washer”?.?

28/08/2021 20:22:07

Av we finished wiv this Fred???

everyone’s going nuts abouwt it.

wot about left handed Fred’s??

The real thing is

”don’t screw me wivout a washer”?.?

28/08/2021 20:10:19

I saw a variant of this appertaining to screwdrivers. I always liked the one with 3 flat blades for securing all 3 screws in a door hinge at the same time and getting the slots all lined up.

I made up some to amuse test and baffle all and sundry and even took orders for Christmas presents.

Alas, all were lost when some low life set fire to my school workshops many years ago.

Thread: Yet another scam
14/06/2021 18:48:04

I just ask them what they are doing with the other hand?????

Thread: R8 Help me please!
26/05/2021 20:36:06

Your starting problem??

my Warco was 3ph from converter and 2 speed motor. Always start in low until it runs then switch to high speed. Draws less current and does not get hot.

Thread: 1940s
24/05/2021 22:00:35

Hi The drawings were published in Hobbies mag in late 40’s. My wife’s uncle made one for her which we still have somewhere. He drove the loco that ran around Slough Trading Estates business park, painted green with a bell attached by a rod from the cross head to warn of its approach. One smoggy night the loco and trucks shunting parts for Citroen Avant cars ( they were assembled there ) ran over a killed a lady on her push bike who thought she could make it.

23/05/2021 21:03:57

A friend, long since departed to that great engine shed in the sky, worked the night shift in a famous engineering company throughout the war. The day shift did the bulk of the machining and the night shift made them fit. There was a bank of lathes 300 feet long with a coolant ditch behind them. One bright spark suggested they built a track along the ditch under the auspices of allowing maintenance to ride a trolley and shovel out the swarf that escaped!!!

Approval was duly given and 3 1/2 “ decided on the gauge. The Forman had no idea why that particular gauge was adopted.??? He was told that left and right handed people could do the job with ease working from either end!!

There was a lot of visits from other department on “ errands” and pretty soon everyone was in on the act. It took less than a month for these highly skilled operatives to create a 4-4-0 and steam it every night, even ran during an air raid the driver stating that even Hitler would not stop the midnight special. I was told that the engine was rebuilt twice before the end of the war and was featured on a club stand at ME exhibition in the 50’s.

As I write this I am looking at a “ foreigner “. made by my late father in law in the same war, of a Spitfire in Aluminium. He normally made real Swordfish and lighters from bits of copper tube and aluminium ashtrays turned on Big Ward auto.

I also remember people injecting water into the carb of Austin 7’s to get better combustion and articles in post ware ME’s.

pete

Thread: Is this a new scam?
01/05/2021 23:59:13

Do what I did. Log onto your eBay account. Find contact us and ask for ring back. That way you talk to a real person. Then you can rant and rave or just do what they want. I said no so we will wait and see. They said they can pay to a credit card account so you do not have to give bank details.

Thread: Care home fees and what they want.'
27/04/2021 22:18:01

The time has come for my 98 year old mother to go into a care/nursing home following a succession of falls, urine infections leading to a diagnosis of delirium and dementia.

Having run a boarding cattery for more than 40 years she has sufficient finances for a few more years of care.

The care home business seems to be able to ignore the laws appertaining to data protection, fraud and identity fraud. This is what they tell me to provide.

Original Copies of bank, building society post office savings accounts and ISA’s.Investment bonds ( dates and amounts ), shares and unit trusts, pension statements showing what has been received, all other income and a full list of outgoings. NHS and NI numbers.

Recent property valuation, pension credit. Etc etc etc.

As you can imagine, as I will be paying, they will get a heavily redacted bank statement showing that I can pay fees of £ 1,300 per WEEK.

Any thoughts or comments?

Pete

Thread: B&D workmate
27/04/2021 21:48:02

We used to take a small group of kids down to Enfield Foundry to watch some of the dads moulding up and pouring the aluminium into the moulds. The school was given one of the early ones Which was destroyed in a fire many years later. We always came back with bags of new greensand as we did a lot of casting.

pete

Thread: That little elf under the workbench again
24/03/2021 17:26:07

Yup. It’s called “ lease/lend”. How many do you want?

pete

22/03/2021 22:59:45

I have one of those watgdeyercallits on a long bladed slotted screwdriver that was used to fit replacement mini transformers, closely packed together. Has been sitting in a Terry clip for at least 40 years - one day I will find a use.

pete

19/03/2021 00:28:27

In the year 1976 in a brand new minivan touring Europe , we perchanced upon a famous place where Adolph had his eagles nest - Berchesgarten We watched light aircraft flying below us and made comments about the information signs all around in GB, F, D and I telling you to run like hell for the shelter when the air raid siren sounds.

Weather in the mountains can change in seconds and you guessed it. Everyone ran, including us, to the shelter as a huge thunder storm fell on top of us. Lightening goes up as well as down. We decided food was required but the menu boards were only in German so we decided that black bread and pea soup would be ample as we looked in the soup urn.
My wife wears contacts lenses, some of the first soft ones as she was a “guinea pig “ for her optician (and they were free ). She rubbed her eye ........... and as LBSC used to say “ Nuff sed”......

p.s. I found it!

pete

18/03/2021 20:13:48

A few years ago the then editor of ME suggested a use for the plastic wrapper that the postal version came in. I just used a Tesco bag containing a powerful horseshoe magnet that I removed before the scrap man took away a DSG lathe. It held a cover in place. My version came with 2 carrying handles so I did not have to bend so much.

Now if you are reeeely clever you can learn the trick I turning the bag inside out leaving the magnet outside and all the swarf inside the bag for disposal. Didn’t Hyawather have some gloves like that?

Thread: RH vs LH threads
15/03/2021 21:44:54

And don’t forget that fittings on oxyacetylene are right handed for oxygen and left handed for computable gases

. Note the notch cut on the corners of the nuts to denote LH thread.

pete

Thread: You think you have trouble starting your car on a cold morning?
27/02/2021 22:22:12

Re Korea,

Yanks invent Velcro to save lives???

They used to get in sleeping bags, metal zips, breath and breath froze the zips. Chinese got in tents and pop,pop,pop - goodnight Vienna. They then told them to sleep with rifle down inside sleeping bags - do l need to explain.

Those near front line used to crawl under tanks to shelter from incoming fire. Ground frozen . At dawn tanks sink into mud????

My friend was on guard duty in front of barrier. Orders to shoot anyone going through. Up pulls jeep with 4 US Colonels demanding to pass. While on phone ( you don’t shoot people like that ) they moved barrier, went through into enemy territory and never heard of again. They had been given map reference and instead of shelling it they went there. True. Mind you the Coca Cola and ice cream was never more the 5 clicks behind them.

pete

27/02/2021 18:19:19

One of my teacher friends had a car that failed the mot on numerous faults. He decided to buy a new car ( on the advice of his wife of course ) He could only afford a yellow Lada. His son thought it was cool but daughter stated that she would not be seen dead in it. Son got lift to school while daughter walked more than a mile.

It always started first time within 3 seconds, NEVER broke down, was traded in for another when it had done 50,000 miles. Second as good as the first.

p.s. Daughter still walked to school, wife became Mayor of the town and travelled by Lada. Daughter refused to get married in it saying she would rather live in sin.

pete

they don’t make em like that anymore.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
walker midge
JD Metals
rapid Direct
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest