By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for peter smith 5

Here is a list of all the postings peter smith 5 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Is this a new scam?
01/05/2021 23:59:13

Do what I did. Log onto your eBay account. Find contact us and ask for ring back. That way you talk to a real person. Then you can rant and rave or just do what they want. I said no so we will wait and see. They said they can pay to a credit card account so you do not have to give bank details.

Thread: Care home fees and what they want.'
27/04/2021 22:18:01

The time has come for my 98 year old mother to go into a care/nursing home following a succession of falls, urine infections leading to a diagnosis of delirium and dementia.

Having run a boarding cattery for more than 40 years she has sufficient finances for a few more years of care.

The care home business seems to be able to ignore the laws appertaining to data protection, fraud and identity fraud. This is what they tell me to provide.

Original Copies of bank, building society post office savings accounts and ISA’s.Investment bonds ( dates and amounts ), shares and unit trusts, pension statements showing what has been received, all other income and a full list of outgoings. NHS and NI numbers.

Recent property valuation, pension credit. Etc etc etc.

As you can imagine, as I will be paying, they will get a heavily redacted bank statement showing that I can pay fees of £ 1,300 per WEEK.

Any thoughts or comments?

Pete

Thread: B&D workmate
27/04/2021 21:48:02

We used to take a small group of kids down to Enfield Foundry to watch some of the dads moulding up and pouring the aluminium into the moulds. The school was given one of the early ones Which was destroyed in a fire many years later. We always came back with bags of new greensand as we did a lot of casting.

pete

Thread: That little elf under the workbench again
24/03/2021 17:26:07

Yup. It’s called “ lease/lend”. How many do you want?

pete

22/03/2021 22:59:45

I have one of those watgdeyercallits on a long bladed slotted screwdriver that was used to fit replacement mini transformers, closely packed together. Has been sitting in a Terry clip for at least 40 years - one day I will find a use.

pete

19/03/2021 00:28:27

In the year 1976 in a brand new minivan touring Europe , we perchanced upon a famous place where Adolph had his eagles nest - Berchesgarten We watched light aircraft flying below us and made comments about the information signs all around in GB, F, D and I telling you to run like hell for the shelter when the air raid siren sounds.

Weather in the mountains can change in seconds and you guessed it. Everyone ran, including us, to the shelter as a huge thunder storm fell on top of us. Lightening goes up as well as down. We decided food was required but the menu boards were only in German so we decided that black bread and pea soup would be ample as we looked in the soup urn.
My wife wears contacts lenses, some of the first soft ones as she was a “guinea pig “ for her optician (and they were free ). She rubbed her eye ........... and as LBSC used to say “ Nuff sed”......

p.s. I found it!

pete

18/03/2021 20:13:48

A few years ago the then editor of ME suggested a use for the plastic wrapper that the postal version came in. I just used a Tesco bag containing a powerful horseshoe magnet that I removed before the scrap man took away a DSG lathe. It held a cover in place. My version came with 2 carrying handles so I did not have to bend so much.

Now if you are reeeely clever you can learn the trick I turning the bag inside out leaving the magnet outside and all the swarf inside the bag for disposal. Didn’t Hyawather have some gloves like that?

Thread: RH vs LH threads
15/03/2021 21:44:54

And don’t forget that fittings on oxyacetylene are right handed for oxygen and left handed for computable gases

. Note the notch cut on the corners of the nuts to denote LH thread.

pete

Thread: You think you have trouble starting your car on a cold morning?
27/02/2021 22:22:12

Re Korea,

Yanks invent Velcro to save lives???

They used to get in sleeping bags, metal zips, breath and breath froze the zips. Chinese got in tents and pop,pop,pop - goodnight Vienna. They then told them to sleep with rifle down inside sleeping bags - do l need to explain.

Those near front line used to crawl under tanks to shelter from incoming fire. Ground frozen . At dawn tanks sink into mud????

My friend was on guard duty in front of barrier. Orders to shoot anyone going through. Up pulls jeep with 4 US Colonels demanding to pass. While on phone ( you don’t shoot people like that ) they moved barrier, went through into enemy territory and never heard of again. They had been given map reference and instead of shelling it they went there. True. Mind you the Coca Cola and ice cream was never more the 5 clicks behind them.

pete

27/02/2021 18:19:19

One of my teacher friends had a car that failed the mot on numerous faults. He decided to buy a new car ( on the advice of his wife of course ) He could only afford a yellow Lada. His son thought it was cool but daughter stated that she would not be seen dead in it. Son got lift to school while daughter walked more than a mile.

It always started first time within 3 seconds, NEVER broke down, was traded in for another when it had done 50,000 miles. Second as good as the first.

p.s. Daughter still walked to school, wife became Mayor of the town and travelled by Lada. Daughter refused to get married in it saying she would rather live in sin.

pete

they don’t make em like that anymore.

27/02/2021 18:06:20

When my former head of department was sent to Korea for his national service the temperature during the day could reach 30 centigrade and at night fall to minus 15. The transport night workers would go round each vehicle and start it up, run for 30 mins, turn it off and restart after another 30 mins. He said that there were over 100 assorted vehicles in the compound. Frozen ground at night, quagmire at midday.

The funny thing was that the Koreans never had any trouble.

pete

27/02/2021 17:39:03

In the days of Morris traveller series 2 ( split screen ) the last cell on the battery had been bridged by short piece of 3/16 brazing rod thus 12 volt was really 10 volt. I push started it down the hill in the morning and got the kids to push start me in the afternoon so I could get home. 3 months before I could afford new battery.
You never had it so good

pete

27/02/2021 17:32:43

‘‘Twas not the belts that was the problem but a fuel leak and an oil leak from rocker box cover.

pete

Thread: Skynet is Coming
27/02/2021 12:31:25

A is for the lady inside the device that obeys all your commands - Weil most of them. If you don’t believe me “ask Alexa”

pete

Thread: Problems using Clickspring's technique for Blueing steel
26/02/2021 20:27:21

Amazon

pete

26/02/2021 19:07:24

Go onto that Amazing site, put in Cold blueing and see the results.

I bought some 20 years ago from a long gone company at ME exhibition . I used cutlery trays for long pieces and plastic seives to hold the small bits. 400 x 1/16 iron rivets at a time, internal rods and steelwork on 7 1/4 Dart, bits for vintage bikes, planes, antiques, small BA nuts, bolts and washer etc etc.

No heat, no distortion. Mine did what it said on the bottle.

pete

26/02/2021 19:07:22

Go onto that Amazing site, put in Cold blueing and see the results.

I bought some 20 years ago from a long gone company at ME exhibition . I used cutlery trays for long pieces and plastic seives to hold the small bits. 400 x 1/16 iron rivets at a time, internal rods and steelwork on 7 1/4 Dart, bits for vintage bikes, planes, antiques, small BA nuts, bolts and washer etc etc.

No heat, no distortion. Mine did what it said on the bottle.

pete

Thread: You think you have trouble starting your car on a cold morning?
26/02/2021 18:47:29

My parents neighbour was of the old school. Always used a yellow oil heater under the sump from about October till late spring. Same procedure every year.
His latest car was a Volvo with the daf ( t ) system of variable speed belt and pulleys.
A passing fire engine on its way back to Cambridge saw the garage on fire, stopped and put it out . Meanwhile he woke, smelt the smoke, dialled 999 and was a bit surprised by the knock on the door.
pete

Thread: PTFE Rod
26/02/2021 18:33:08

Connect your hoover so that the swarf and fumes gets sucked up the tube and not your nose.

pete

Thread: Storing tools in bisley drawers advice
26/02/2021 18:29:43

Wot no VPI paper??? To prevent the demon rust?

pete

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
JD Metals
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest