By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Steve Sparrow

Here is a list of all the postings Steve Sparrow has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: John Stevenson
24/10/2017 11:41:40

What an intelligent and practical man we have lost.

What a good friend he became with his readiness to help and his astonishing wit.

All of these things added up to a unique mix, something to be valued - and he was.

I write here with tears in my eyes not only for John but for the cruelty of life that takes so many good people well before their time.

Be thankful to have known him, being able to stand in his shadow, as only we can next to someone so talented.

Every loss diminishes us.

Rest in peace John.

Steven P. Sparrow

Thread: Band saw blade comming off pulley
26/07/2009 10:51:54
Thanks for the info Jim.

In return, and hopefully to save others the problem I had with my bandsaw (not related to blade jumping) I wrote this snippet last week.  I hope it saves damage and / or injury!

Regards

Steve
Thread: Variable Speed Controllers for Lathes
26/07/2009 10:46:35
Hi John,

A few years ago I wrote an article for ME on inverters / converters to try and make things a little easier. The article can be seen on my website at this location -

Regards

Steve
Thread: Milling Machine Low Speed Torque
26/07/2009 10:38:13
Hi Peter,

Yes, an inverter (Electronic Speed Control) will give a lot less torque at low speeds simply because of the way it works.

One way to get round the problem (if you have mechanical means of changing spindle speeds) it to arrange things so that the motor is rotating as fast as possible (up to 50Hz)whist still allowing you to still have a low spindle speed. This can often be achived by moving belts or gears and is akin to having your car's gearbox in first gear - Lots of torque and engine rev.s but not much speed at the roadwheels.

Inverters work by varying the frequency (Hz) that run the motor and your aim is to get as close as you can to getting the required spindle speed when the inverter is running the motor at 50Hz. This is where your motor will produce its maximum torque.

If you don't have the means to change spindle speeds in the usual ways (belts, pulleys of gears) then a change of motor and spindle pulleys may be the only alternative. You might even be lucky enough to be able to simply swap them to the opposing poistion and use the same drive belt....

Regards

Steve
Thread: Band saw blade comming off pulley
06/07/2009 18:10:13
Hi Jim,

Cut better, no jumping off and last forever.....Sounds like the Holy Grail applied to bandsaw blades! I want one!

Regards

Steve
26/06/2009 00:33:02
I use one of those Clarke vertical/ horizontal jobs, good value for money it is too. I have suffered similar problems and looked for the cause. If the the blade tension and tracking were both initially correct, I thought  it might be worth giving some thought to heat, especially the temperature of the blade (band) itself. I noticed that on warmer days the band was more likely to jump off and took a few temps. with an infra red thermometer. On 'jumping' days the blade was 8-10C warmer, the resulting increased expansion may well be the cause, i.e. the band expands and its tension is not as correct as it was when at room temperature. The same would go for longer cuts I guess. I don't have coolant either so when cutting some huge chunk I switch the machine off and allow things to cool, then resume the cut. I get far less (but not zero!) blade jumping excursions now.

And I avoid cutting on Wednesdays.....!

Regards

Steve
Thread: Exploitation of designs for commercial gain.
24/06/2009 00:14:15
Hi David,

Can it really be so black and white?

What about the vast number of people over the years that built one only Tinkerbell / Romulus / Elidir / LBSC design (ad infinitum) for their personal use, but  later decided to sell it? Are these people all in breach? And what of bereaved family members, what would their position be?

After all, plans, castings and designs are sold on a commercial basis with implicit permission to use them to build the model. It would be unreasonable to expect otherwise. If the owner then decides to sell the model, it is his (or hers!) alone to sell if they so wish. As far as I am aware, it would be completely free of any encumbrance.

I suppose what you are saying is that just one example of a given design is permitted to be built and sold, but not two?

Regards

Steve
Thread: Replies to letters pubilshed in ME or MEW
16/06/2009 08:51:55
I wonder if it would be a good idea to have section where website visitors may reply to letters published in the magazine 'Letters' pages? These could be picked up by the editor and used at his discretion, just as email or snail mail replies are managed now.

If this were to happen, the replies might be available to slighty more people (not everyone has both mag,s) and more comments/responses might be gathered.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
walker midge
rapid Direct
JD Metals
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest