By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for steamdave

Here is a list of all the postings steamdave has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: UK availability of 1/8" Dia shank End mill/Slot drills
31/08/2020 15:07:06

The ones linked to are 1/4" shank.

For 1/8" shank, try eBay 282916540783. These are ball end, but he does do radiused end versions. Can't find any square end ones, though.

In times past, I've had some of these and they were good value.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Thread: Silicone oven liner material
30/08/2020 16:17:33

I asked the question about sourcing teflon sheet for gaskets and one answer was to use oven liner.

https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=167211

Haven't tried it because I still have enough teflon sheet for my present project. I don't know the thickness, but I would have thought that oven liner would be a bit too thick for small engine gaskets. My teflon sheet is 0.006 thou thick (as close as I can measure it).

Dave

The Emerald Isle

Edited By steamdave on 30/08/2020 16:17:51

Thread: De ham lathe
30/08/2020 10:19:59

First port of call would be lathes.co.uk

http://www.lathes.co.uk/denham/ Will give you a quick read on your lathe. It states that literature is available.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Thread: Hydraulic ram machining
22/08/2020 22:38:38

Hydraulic rams - how easy/safe is it to remove the rod from the cylinder? There is not much force on the ram and no fluid leak.
Cylinders in question are about 1" OD and about 5" long, the rods are about 3/8" diameter. (All guesstimates at this time of night).

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Thread: Myford ML7 questions
20/08/2020 16:21:33

Will

You would do well to subscribe to the Myford group on .io There you will find a wealth of knowledge.

Not saying that there is a dearth of knowledge here, mind you!

https://groups.io/g/myfordlathes

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Thread: Spark plug washers and Teflon shim
14/08/2020 17:16:44

They will, but the question is still the same. Thankfully it has now been answered.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

14/08/2020 14:45:11

Thanks, JB

I knew you would have the info!

Dave
The Emerald Isle

13/08/2020 22:51:42

Any ideas where I can get spare spark plug washers for 1/4" x 32 plugs?

I've had a look at Hemingway and S/S but they don't appear to have them. The copper washers on eBay are too wide (difference between inner and outer diameters)

While I'm at it, who sells Teflon (PTFE) sheet in 5 or 10 thou thick sheets? No luck on eBay or the usual ME suppliers. If all else fails,I can get copper shim 0.2mm thick. I suppose that would be OK instead?

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Thread: Watchmaker's lathe
13/08/2020 14:26:07

Quite a number of years ago I came by a watchmaker's lathe. At the time, I knew nothing about it, but after giving it another looking at recently, I have discovered it is a Lorch.

img_2858.jpg

img_2859.jpg

Looking at the lathes.co.uk sight, it is actually a Lorch Schmidt 'Geneva' pattern 6mm lathe.

Unfortunately, what is pictured is all that I have. What the small brass 'pulley' is I have no idea, except that it is not really a pulley because it is fixed and at an angle to the lathe axis.

Originally I intended to try and make a few bits and pieces for it, but that is another job that will become a squaretuit as opposed to a roundtuit.

Just posting this out of interest to the watchmaking fraternity here.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Thread: base finishing
05/08/2020 12:07:59

A bit late in the day, but I use a home brew furniture polish that resists oil and fuel quite well. It gives a matt sheen when buffed up.

1 part pure turpentine
1 part raw linseed oil
1 part white vinegar
1/4 part methylated spirits

Shake well and apply with a soft cloth to the bare wood. Several coats can be applied in fairly quick succession. I usually aim for a minimum of 4 coats. Keep it sealed in a small honey jar or similar and it will last for ages. Just shake again before using each time.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Thread: Emco FB2 Quirks and Additions
24/07/2020 16:13:46

As a former FB2 owner, (who regrets changing it for a more modern machine) I seem to remember that removing tools from the spindle was no problem due to the top hat on the top of the spindle. Just screw the top hat down and pressure was brought to bear on the draw bar, et voila - the tool was out.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Thread: Yet Another Mystery Object
24/07/2020 16:04:38
Posted by Rob Thomas 4 on 24/07/2020 12:46:36:

Could it be for measuring the level of the remaining liquid in the bottom of a liquid (oil) tank?

Regards,

Rob

Indeed, it is the end of a sounding tape for manually dipping fuel (not cargo fuel) tanks. The tape was metal and graduated in inches, taking over from the graduated brass weight. The tape was wound on a reel.

Bilge sounding rods were usually thinner brass rods (1/2" or so diameter) about 12" long and the 'tape' was a rope. This was just coiled up after use.

At the bottom of all sounding pipes was a disc welded to the shell plating and due to the continual speedy lowering of the weights, this disc would quite quickly become pitted. It was not unknown for the weight to become detached from the tape and lodge at the bottom of the sounding pipe staying there until the next drydocking! Needless to say, spare sounding tapes were always carried on board.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Thread: Hammer flipping experiment?
07/07/2020 10:16:22

Or for some Real fun with a hammer, try this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTqbdxL_gmU

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Thread: Spark plug lead
07/07/2020 10:12:20

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

I have some black test lead, got specially for ignition systems so will try soldering a piece to the end of the red supplied plug lead (which is solid copper wire). If it works, I will take the plunge and cut the red lead down reasonably close to the box and re-solder. The join I will cover with some heat shrink tape.

I'm not too concerned with electrical radiation in a small engine. There are many other model engines around that run satisfactorily without complaints about interference.

Thanks for the suggestion of phos. bronze, Roger. I've got some beryllium copper strip that I will try.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

06/07/2020 16:24:11

I'm building a slow revving single cylinder I.C. engine and intend to use a Chinee ignition unit with potted components. (Sold as a spare part for the Chinee hit n miss engines).

The spark plug lead is red and I want black. Is there any electrical reason why I cannot solder a black lead onto the (shortened) red lead? I did think about covering the red lead in black heat shrink sleeving, but that would make it very bulky.
I'd rather not receive suggestions to alternative ignition systems as I already have the mentioned item.

While in questioning mode, how do you make the spark plug clip - the type that slides on the groove at the end of the plug? I've tried drilling a piece of brass and slitting it, but that soon loses its spring. Spark plug size is 1/4" x 32 if that makes a difference. The modern type that are usually covered in a boot is not what I'm wanting.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Thread: Surface Plate & Height Gauge recommendations
31/05/2020 11:39:08

The pauper's surface plate:

Make a framed piece of plywood with a baize top and put on a piece of plate glass. For my 'every day' usage, I use the platen from a retired scanner. Good enough for the girls I go out with!

I also have a second one that I use with wet/dry for smoothing my Many surface irregularities.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Thread: How big can I go with a machine vice?
26/05/2020 11:18:40

If you need a larger vice and not too heavy,consider the Darmet Precision vice.

https://darmet.com.pl/en/vises/1652-precision-machine-vise-fpzb

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Thread: Chalking files
17/05/2020 16:31:59

I've occasionally chalked files, particularly when working with aluminium. The stated wisdom is that it is supposed to reduce clogging of the file teeth.

Coarse files don't clog as easily compared to the finer files, particularly on ali. castings.

I haven't found it particularly effective to prevent clogging, but it does seem to ease cleaning the file (with a piece of flattened copper pipe) afterwards.

Does anyone have any experience with chalked files and whether they can keep the file clean while using it?

This question has come up because I'm working on aluminium castings at the moment.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Thread: Workshop Woes
17/05/2020 16:25:33

You can read about a recreation of the Quadricycle over on HMEM.

https://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/threads/ford-quadricycle.19283/

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Thread: Stirling Engine Fan
25/04/2020 16:16:11

Very nice fan you have there, Chris.

I think that the hex. bar is just a plug. Take it out and you would find a hole connecting the power cylinder to the displacer. Unless you are desperate to find out if I'm correct (or not), I would leave it in place, especially now you seem to have it running well.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
cowells
Dreweatts
Rapid RC
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest