By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for steamdave

Here is a list of all the postings steamdave has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Beginner making first steam engine
27/06/2015 11:45:36

For a low power compressed air operated engine, I think you will be fine with the metal combination you have chosen. It is not as if you will be running it for hour upon hour, so it will take Years before you get any significant wear.

Across the Pond, particularly, ali/brass combination is used more frequently than any other in small air models. Have a look at the HMEM site. http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Thread: Wabeco 2000/3000 Lathes
26/06/2015 13:11:08
Posted by Clive Hartland on 25/06/2015 09:07:43:

Try the price of the milling machines and the variants available. Most of all the stuff they sell is high priced including tooling. The only thing is the quality is good.

Clive

You are right about the high price, but not so sure on the quality. I won't say any more in public, but if you want to know my opinion, send me a pm!

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Thread: 6 BA hexagon headed screws
25/06/2015 17:31:46
Posted by Carl Wilson 4 on 25/06/2015 13:18:34:

Hi John,

What interesting things. I wonder who made them?

Carl.

They can be made quite easily out of silver steel. Drill the correct size hole and file the cutting lips, making sure you put the teeth in the correct orientation.- it's easy to make a left handed cutter! Then harden and temper and you're in business.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

23/06/2015 14:06:51

A quick google shows quite a few suppliers of 6BA items. All are fully threaded, however.

There seems to be 'confusion' between the terminology of Screw and Bolt among the suppliers. One supplier describes the Bolts as having hex heads and the remaining heads being described as Screws.

I understood that a Bolt was as requested (part threaded) but a Screw was fully threaded.

This company say they will make small quantities of what you want
http://www.ba-bolts.co.uk/index.html

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Thread: Recognising tooling quality levels?
23/06/2015 11:00:42

Ian

Living in Ireland, you will have noticed the exorbitant postage rates from England. One possible way to get value for money, at least with postage costs is to buy directly from the Far East.

CTC Tools in Hong Kong is a reputable company. The MD is a Dane (or possibly German) who keeps a close eye on the quality control.
http://www.ctctools.biz/

I've heard good reports from Richon Tools, but have not had any dealings with them myself.
http://richontools.com/

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Thread: Bleeding Compressor
21/05/2015 20:52:38

Air pressure keeps the ball on its seat. So the spring has to be strong enough to lift the ball when the air pressure drops. Stronger spring, higher air pressure that lifts the ball.

With a length of only 1", the manual operating lever will have very little effect on the operating pressure.

The actual pressure that allows the ball to lift is a personal choice and can be adjusted by the installer. And this takes into account any water that may be in the air reservoir. Instead of stretching the spring to increase the operating pressure, the spring seat can be made overlong and trimmed back until satisfactory conditions prevail.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

21/05/2015 16:48:01

Here's the drawing for the auto drain valve.

[URL=http://s1149.photobucket.com/user/steamdave/media/Auto%20drain%20valve.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o591/steamdave/Auto%20drain%20valve.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Dave
The Emerald Isle

21/05/2015 11:07:38

Here is a simple automatic drain valve that can directly replace the standard item:

http://s1149.photobucket.com/user/steamdave/media/drainvalve.jpg.html

I've got a drawing in pdf format, but not sure how to put it on here.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Edited By steamdave on 21/05/2015 11:09:34

Edited By steamdave on 21/05/2015 11:16:36

Thread: How to measure bores
08/05/2015 23:28:42
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 08/05/2015 19:45:10:
Posted by Peter G. Shaw on 08/05/2015 19:35:53:

Does anyone have any thoughts about these items? Problems with their use? Things to look out for? Not specifically Arc's items, but these tools in general.

Thought 2. ... You need to develop a 'feel' for using them.

MichaelG.

No-one has explained how to get the feel for using these gauges.

Insert the gauge in the bore at an angle and lightly nip up the tips. Now swing the gauge past the true diameter thus reducing the span of the tips. The tips, being lightly nipped should not slip out when they are swung past the true diameter. Remove gauge from the bore and tighten up before using your measuring instrument of choice.

There may be other ways I admit, but this is how I do it and within the limits of my mediocre machining ability, works for me.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Thread: NAMES 2015 Photos
20/04/2015 15:31:03
Posted by JasonB on 20/04/2015 14:05:15:

Well if you thought having Sandown and Ally Pally a month apart was an issue you must take pity on our American members who have the NAMES show one week after Cabin Feverfrown

Enjoy, J

That' precisely why I would go over the Pond to visit those two good shows.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Thread: Myford tops slide feed screw mod
14/04/2015 22:10:09

That's the one, Phil. Got the article, thanks.

JP's machine has a large extension to the top slide, so others who want to use his idea do not need quite such a long adapter.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

14/04/2015 17:36:51

When the Myford S7 top slide is pivoted round more than about 60 degrees, the ball handle fouls the cross slide. Some time ago, there was a description for a modification to the top slide feed screw to overcome this problem.

Basically it was an extension to the existing feed screw and from memory, it was not kept in place permanently but could be fitted in a short time when required. Rather than try and reinvent the wheel, I would like to get hold of the article.

Despite searching on this and other likely forums, the Yahoo Myford group and Google, I cannot find the article. Does anybody have any idea of where to find the description, please?

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Thread: LED Lighting
08/04/2015 14:19:42
Posted by steamdave on 02/04/2015 11:35:35:

I use the Ikea lights. Very good they are too - with one small exception. I find that now I have had them for a year or so, mounted with the base horizontal, the lights start to droop as if the lamp head is too heavy to be supported by the coiled wire stem.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Got fed up with the lights drooping so bodged a fix: Super glue on the first few coils of the spiral. And now the droop is minimal. No problem with the required adjustment of the light, either.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

02/04/2015 11:35:35
Posted by mechman48 on 02/04/2015 09:50:29:
Posted by Tony Simons on 02/04/2015 07:28:58:

I have used a £10 LED light from Ikea on my Smart & Brown

**LINK**

**LINK**

Have one of these on my mill too but with the crocodile clamp fitting.

George

I use the Ikea lights. Very good they are too - with one small exception. I find that now I have had them for a year or so, mounted with the base horizontal, the lights start to droop as if the lamp head is too heavy to be supported by the coiled wire stem.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Thread: Polyurethane belts, green (or red, orange...)
31/03/2015 10:58:33
Posted by Robbo on 31/03/2015 09:57:06:

Finally, for HansR, these are available on ebayUK, but the sellers only send to UK addresses.

Quite often, eBay sellers who say 'post to UK only' will post overseas if you ask them to. That has been my experience if I'm prepared to pay the postage to Ireland.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Thread: 6 jaw chuck
25/03/2015 17:43:08

You won't find it John because it was about 2 years ago.

It was badly advertised and there were no other bids Said it was for a Hardinge lathe so all I had to do was change the backplate for my lathe.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

25/03/2015 13:00:43
Posted by John Stevenson on 24/03/2015 20:30:38:

Also handy for gripping the sides of your wallet after buying one because, believe me , it will be thin. wink

£128 (inc. postage) for an almost new 6" Buck Tru-Grip chuck from our favourite auction site seemed like good value to me.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Thread: Trevithicks Dredger Engine
19/03/2015 22:29:58
Posted by JasonB on 19/03/2015 17:36:52:

Welcome John, I've not built one myself though quite fancy doing it at a larger size. I was talking with a chap who has a very nice one and he said there is a problem with the valve gear as drawn but I'm not sure what.

As for square fixings its really a case of making them yourself. One of the German ME suppliers does do square ones but I'm not over keen on the size of the chamfers and they will also be metric not BA as per the drawings.

EDIT, these look OK but no photo

J

The 1/8 boiler is a fair ol' lump. (part of THE list you know about, JB)

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Thread: Belt and Disc Sander
15/03/2015 14:31:07

I use an Aldi floor sander inverted as suggested and modified by Jim Whetren. Does OK for my metal butchering. The lack of a side sanding wheel has not been an inconvenience.

http://www.model-engineer.co.uk/news/article/a-poor-mans-linisher/5061 is the link

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Thread: EMCO FB2 vertical Milling Machine
11/03/2015 11:57:23
Posted by Circlip on 11/03/2015 10:52:04:

Ian P is correct. FB2 is the "Millerised" version of the 6speed Green milling attachment from the later Maximat V10P lathe and yes, the motor is a pain in its unique construction for Emco. Possibly Wein? Circuit in manual always causes question "Is the motor the same for 3phase and single phase" For both versions, there are three coils, one wired as three phase and other shows a capacitor wired in.

The "Green" motor was preferential to the earlier "Blue" one fitted to the 4 speed head, same with Lathe drive motor. Worth asking on the Yahoo "Emco" site.

Regards Ian

From memory - I've sold my FB2 - the motor was made by Bauknecht, makers of washing machines & other kitchen appliances. See the similarity to machine tools?

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
MIDLNDS GARDEN RAIL Jan 2022
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
rapid Direct
cowells
Warco
JD Metals
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest