By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for steamdave

Here is a list of all the postings steamdave has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Ludwig-Hunger valve seat cutter
14/10/2021 15:36:25

I had never heard of a Ludwig Hunger valve seat cutter before, so did a quick search and I found out the company is still in business.

https://www.ludwig-hunger.de/index.php/eng/Products/Automotive/Counterboring-valve-seat-ring-bores

Maybe worth contacting them.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Thread: Tundish - how to make?
28/09/2021 15:07:34

I'm not going down any sort of casting process. I've got enough processes to cope with at the moment. But thanks for your idea Tim.

Tug. I've decided on the silver soldered approach and will consider the surface finish when I've achieved a suitable shape. Probably several weeks down the line at the speed I work at.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

25/09/2021 22:21:44

Peter. I don't have a 3D printer, nor do I know anyone with one, so that idea is out.

I think I will go with my original idea and carve from the solid, cut off a slice and silver solder a flat plate where the slice was removed. The bead will be incorporated in the turning of the outside and I'll pre-solder a bead on the flat plate before securing it.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

25/09/2021 15:24:24

I've just registered with T.T., Andrew, in order to search for the topic.

Noel. The original may well have been cast, but at the scale I'm using the use of something like coarse Scotchbrite to take away the shine will probably not look too different. Besides, I have no casting facilities or experience nor is there anyone locally with such knowledge. I suppose I did ask for other ideas!

Dave
The Emerald Isle

25/09/2021 14:04:19

I need to make a tundish for my present project. Basically it is a truncated cone, but it has a flat side to it.

tundish 2.jpg

The top is about 1-5/16" diameter and the hex at the bottom is 5/16".

I thought about initially turning the round shape from a piece of brass bar and then slicing off a section and soldering on a piece of flat plate to give the required shape. It would be quite wasteful of the brass bar, but I do have a suitable piece that has been waiting to be used.

Another thought was to roll the tube from brass sheet after soldering on the top lip then solder in the bottom. Finally slice off a part and solder on the flat. My main worry with this method is trying to roll the tube with the bead pre-soldered on. If I leave the bead off, I doubt my silver soldering skills are good enough to roll the bead afterwards and silver solder it on before cutting out a section for the flat part.

Any other ideas would be welcome.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Thread: Governor drive belt
04/09/2021 16:16:49
Posted by Roderick Jenkins on 04/09/2021 14:21:06:

The drive belt for the fan on my Farm Boy is made from 1.8 mm O ring material joined with a simple butt join glued with a generic cyanoacrelate (super glue). I've been very pleasantly surprised how robust the belt is, so a simple glued butt join may well be worth a try.

HTH,

Rod

It is interesting to learn that 'super glue' is flexible and lasting enough for a drive belt. If asked, I would have thought that Evostik type glue would have been the choice for this type of job.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Thread: Disposal of swarf
03/09/2021 12:18:22

I bag mine up in industrial plastic bags then when I've got sufficient waste of all kinds, I take a trip to the recycling centre. If I'm getting short of bags (very rarely), I'll empty them and fill them up a 2nd or even 3rd time. 4 EU. for a car load of waste every few months won't break the bank.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Thread: Firebox lining
30/08/2021 14:11:48
Posted by JasonB on 30/08/2021 06:55:06:

In that case Dave why not just use a stove paint, that is what I have used on my Robinson and Heinrici and CHUK without problems as well as quite a few IC engine exhausts. Thermacure is the one I like

I might just do that.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

30/08/2021 12:06:14

Very nice looking engine there, John.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

29/08/2021 21:05:28

I believe the main reason for the lining is not so much to retain any heat, but to prevent the paint coating getting damaged by the heat. With the (hopefully) small flame, there should not be as much heat as from my gas torch and maybe the Kaowool in greater thickness will be adequate for the second engine (steel firebox, about 3" diameter).

John P. What did you use for the lining in your firebox? Engine is the Improved Rider, 2" bore from Myers.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

29/08/2021 16:47:12

Q1.
I need to line the cast aluminium firebox of a hot air engine. I have some welder's ceramic blanket. What is the best way to secure this inside the 'box? The 20th cent. building notes suggest using furnace cement, but I was wondering whether there was a different suggestion for the 21st cent. Would beads of JB Weld around the top/bottom and joints be up to the task?

07. firebox 2200-4.jpg

Q2.
For the next project. Another hot air engine. Again, firebox lining, this time it is a steel tube. I was going to use Kaowool, but giving my 2mm sheet a quick blast with my propane torch, the Kaowool curled up and died. The engine will be gas fuelled, so is there any other material I could use? And how to secure it?

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Thread: Vise/Vice advise
10/08/2021 16:56:56

I was going to suggest the Warco DH1 vice
https://www.warco.co.uk/machine-vices-vice-jaws/303151-dh-1-precision-vice.html?search_query=vice&results=65
but I've just noticed the price!

I've had one for a number of years and have always found it does the job for me. Should any job be too small for it, the easiest way round about would be to make up an 'infinite length' vice. I tried to find a good pic, of one, but my quick search came up empty.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Thread: Running needle roller bearings
28/07/2021 15:36:19

I'm going to go for the bronze bushings, and like the idea of the sintered bronze idea (Oilite?) One advantage is that they have a smaller overall dimension than needle rollers or ball bearings and this helps getting closer to scale full size dimensions and shape with the bearing housings.

(J.B. it's the Improved Rider engine.)

Dave
The Emerald Isle

27/07/2021 20:45:13

Thanks for the suggestions, gents.

Because the engine will be slow revving, developing little power (hot air engine) I will modify the design and use gunmetal bushings. Lot less chance of um...mishap.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

27/07/2021 17:01:00

Is it necessary to run needle roller bearings on hardened steel shafts?

I'm making a slow running engine (up to 200 rpm sort of speed) and the drawings show roller bearings on crankshaft and con rod ends. The two cranks are overhung on each end of the crankshaft. Diameter of shaft is 1/2" for main bearings reducing to 5/16" for the crank arm location.

I don't want to use hardened steel if I don't have to because of probable distortion when cooling, even if plunged end on.

If I can run on unhardened silver steel, I was considering eBay UK 222987986234 for the job.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Thread: Bed stop clamp
20/07/2021 10:41:44

Here's mine. Simple and effective.

img_0990 (medium).jpg

I use it in combination with my indexable lathe stop, usually with longer jobs and the indexing rods can't reach the normal fixed stop.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Edited By steamdave on 20/07/2021 10:43:47

Thread: Advice required for model boat nameplate.
05/07/2021 16:33:46

I've used Peter Wood a couple of times and can thoroughly recommend his work. He's very easy to deal with and costs are reasonable and not too long to wait.

http://menp.co.uk/

The pic is of his pre-order drawings of the required plates. The originals are 2nd row, left side, 3rd row right side. Finished plates are about 1-1/8" x 7/8".
Edison plate.jpg

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Thread: Organising M.E. index spreadsheet
30/06/2021 16:32:00

Thanks gents for your help. All sorted now.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

30/06/2021 12:34:27

Is it possible to organise Excel into ascending or descending order across all columns?

I particularly would like to reorganise the Model Engineer index Excel spreadsheet to show contributors in alphabetical order with their contributions. This would make it easier to search for particular articles.

I can sort and filter Authors in alphabetical order but the remaining columns are not sorted using the Sort & Filter button.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Thread: Porsche 951
10/05/2021 16:18:43

Very nice car you have there.

I used to fancy a Porsche 928, but even before my geriatric state, I found it difficult to get in and out of. Also very tight in the cockpit, especially with the sunroof.

I believe your (original) engine was designed as one bank of the v-8, but stand to be corrected.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Edited By steamdave on 10/05/2021 16:19:07

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
JD Metals
cowells
emcomachinetools
rapid Direct
walker midge
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest