By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Simon0362

Here is a list of all the postings Simon0362 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Plan/Design for spanner roll?
19/07/2019 18:02:38

A bit of a late contribution but the following photos show the toolroll that came with one of my classic cars - as the final photo shows, this one was replaced I assume because someone nicked the original....

Heavy canvas, and as far as I can tell, more or less flat pouches. It sits in the boot strapped to the battery cover with two leather straps (not the original ones, I replaced them with something from the dog supplies shop!).

A fold down panel to stop the tools dropping out when rolled up. Integral cord to tie it up (no velcro here!)

All the tools are high quality Bahco, King Dick and the like - sad thing is that I don't think I have ever used them in 27 years of ownership.Mind, for the selection, 121GBP in 1990 was a pretty good deal I think - and it was a genuine manufacturers supply.

Anyway, hope this may help the design process.
BR
Simon

img_1814(1) small.jpg

img_1816(1) small.jpg

img_1818(1) small.jpg

img_1821 small.jpg

img_1822 small.jpg

img_1824(1) small.jpg

img_1825(1) small.jpg

img_1827(1) edited small.jpg

Thread: TTFN
18/07/2019 16:18:33

Andrew, I too will miss your input and analysis.

BR
Simon

Thread: Another "What is it?"
12/06/2019 23:18:19

Thanks for all of the input, especially Howard’s detailed description. It came from one of our local ‘vide grenier’ car boot sales in southern France so that may also tie in with the low power comments reflecting the popularity of diesel engines here for all forms of transport until recently.

I thought that it was unused until I took the photos and then saw some graunch marks on the knurled knob where someone has gently taken a pair of pliers or the like to it. Not serious but not perfect...

Maybe a tool to pass to my neighbour who has a fine collection of French classics

Simon

10/06/2019 20:06:06
Posted by Speedy Builder5 on 10/06/2019 19:45:02:

More info

**LINK**

Sadly, all I get is a nice link to mine..... smile p

10/06/2019 20:04:44
Posted by Speedy Builder5 on 10/06/2019 19:39:52:

Hello,

it is a diesel injection pump timing tool (drop timing!) on "in-line" pumps

the banana plug connects to the end of the tool, the crocodile clip on a +bat. and the conical connector on an outlet of the pump

it is not "specific to PL

Ps, translation from the French Panhard club forum

Thanks, I found some things from the Panhard club too - but nothing suggesting it was either specific to something nor the 'proper' application fr it

10/06/2019 20:03:01
Posted by 34046 on 10/06/2019 18:42:38:

It’s an oil and fuel pressure tester. There is one on EBay for £25

Bill

Edited By 34046 on 10/06/2019 18:43:25

Yes, its mine.....

10/06/2019 16:36:05

file7.jpegfile6.jpegfile4.jpegfile3.jpegHi All,

I have had this tool for some time on the basis that "it will come in useful sometime..."

I have now arrived at the point where its time to move this onto someone who a) knows exactly what it is and b) can use it...

I have advertised it on Homeworkshop in the hopes that someone would see it and decide they knew what it was but no takers.

If anyone can tell me what it is - or even take it off my hands I would be very happy.

I believe it is a pressure sensor for fluids where the lamp under the red cover lights up at pressure "X", whatever that might be. Beautifully made and heavily chromed and looks almost unused - but maybe unused for a good reason!

BR
Simon

file1.jpeg

Thread: Rejects for Sale.
31/05/2019 17:45:38
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 31/05/2019 10:59:01:...Fortunately I finally remembered where my M2.5 taps and die are (Q - why aren't they with all my other taps? A-I was planning to make a box for them)

Neil, time to 3D print some like these.... smiley

tap boxm2.5.jpgOriginals are on Onshape at Tap boxes

Simon

Thread: Result - the 2019 Stevenson Trophy
08/05/2019 21:06:49

Voted.....thanks for the reminder

Thread: Diamond burrs
12/04/2019 13:05:03

Hi All,

The (slightly tortuous) title says it all I think - I have a couple of sets of these burrs, some sourced from Dremel and clones, others that I bought many (many!) moons ago.

Apart from the obvious glass, ceramics and other super hard stuff, are they any use for softer materials. In this specific case, I am thinking of a tough but not unmachinable steel where a Dremel based grinding action would be much preferable to a simple lathe tool.

Thoughts welcomed...

Thread: Changing Broadband
12/04/2019 09:15:33

Timely topic...

I am the IT department for my my father who manages to sort most IT related problems on his own without recourse to me. However he has a major problem with his ISP (Talk Talk) which at various times would be better labelled 'Mutter Mutter' or 'Mumble Mumble'. He was migrated from Tiscali, at the time I helped him select them as the most efficient and reliable ISP around...

I now need to find someone similarly reliable and offering decent (not necessarily lightening fast) broadband along with a couple of email addresses and easy setup. Quality is implied in this search, rather than minimising cost, since I will pay for it in time in the end...

No longer living in the UK, I have little idea who might be a good ISP to try - so I throw this open to the forum for your advice please.

Simon

Thread: DraftSight no longer free
29/03/2019 08:13:50
Posted by Raymond Anderson on 28/03/2019 14:50:56:

Anyone looking for a good free 2d CAD programme should check out Siemens Solid Edge 2d. I used it a lot before I went to 3d Solid Edge.

+1

I suggested it in this thread too along with a link.**LINK**

(its the first post today, not sure how to link down to individual post level)

BR
Simon

Thread: Free 2D drawing programs
29/03/2019 08:08:35

I use 3D almost exclusively now but still have SolidEdge on the PC - this is free for the 2D version and comes from Siemens and is a) pretty reliable and b) very professional. Was always very impressed with it.

Needs a new enable key every year and its a pure PC based solution (Mac & Linux, don't know).

Outputs in all the standard formats, don't think there are any restrictions at all.

Solid Edge

HTH

Simon

Thread: Milling that slot
06/03/2019 18:00:58
Posted by Meunier on 04/03/2019 20:57:14:

Thanks Martyn for the link to RC-machines. They appear to carry a wide range of stock in grades I can get my head around and hopefully less expensive on shipping to SW France than from UK.
DaveD

I have recently used "acier-detail-decoupe" on several occasions who, despite their name, also stock Al, brass, cast iron, copper bronze and composites - although I have only taken steel sections and silver steel and aluminium from them.

Prices are displayed and the postage has various options - and is weight driven so 2 smaller packs can be cheaper than one large one with a big carrier.

Ships across France I believe, certainly to this corner of the SE (PACA)

Regards and apologies for any accusations of thread highjacking,

Simon

Thread: Paper Airplane machine
06/03/2019 09:29:33
Posted by Bizibilder on 05/03/2019 20:25:32:

Lego Plane folder And several more if you search.

Thanks, as I suspected, lots out there. Some people clearly have a lot more spare time than I have!

05/03/2019 16:42:50

Just seen this on Linked In - entitled "when you leave the engineers alone in the office"...

I am sure anyone in the paper industry will look on it as a simple task, but it amused me (maybe the two are connected!)

Simon

Thread: Problems with RCB wiring - solved!
19/02/2019 22:20:32

(Part 2, posting too long...)

Solution

Part 1 – removed neutrals on by one from the bus bar in the consumer box. Equipment still causes a RCB fail but now ONLY the power RCB associated with one of the neutral wires (assumed to be that from the faulty sockets).

Part 2 – linked that neutral wire to the functioning power socket neutral – Bingo, all works perfectly.

Analysis

The previous owner had installed the sockets or had rewired them for some reason and had failed to notice that he had used a neutral associated with the lighting circuit rather than that of the power circuit. The RCB balances current out on the Live with that returning on the Neutral so in the power RCB, since there was never anything returned on the neutral, it tripped the switch. Similarly on the lighting RCB, this suddenly saw a surge of current on the neutral side unbalanced by any outbound Live side and also tripped.

Moral

RCBs that have unknown wiring or that you have just installed and don’t work – ensure that the Live and Neutral are on the same circuit.

And there goes a Saturday afternoon…

19/02/2019 22:19:53

This is intended as an aid to others who may have similar problems and are looking for inspiration...I have an electronics background and a reasonable experience in house electrics, but no expert by a long way. To anyone who thought the solution was obvious, I admire your intellectual abilities, to those others, I hope it may help finding an obscure fault.

Background

When we moved to our current house in France some 3 years ago, I had the garage packed to the brim with workshop stuff, piled in with no chance to sort on delivery. Once the moving dust had settled, I started attempting to sort things out in the garage and fairly early on, needed power and light from the sockets placed on both sides of the building. The pair that were situated directly under the garage distribution box worked perfectly. Not so those on the other side of the garage floor that instantly pulled the house RCB’s as soon as something was plugged in and turned on. Due to the requirements of time spent elsewhere it was only last weekend that I had a serious delve into the problems, having managed with a series of extension cables up until this point.

Architecture

The source power for the garage is single phase and comes via a ‘power’ RCB and a ‘lighting’ RCB both placed in the main consumer box in the house. All of our circuits are either lighting or power and are entirely separate.

The garage lighting and power supplies come through a separate consumer box and have separate trips. There is a further lighting complication since the 3 way switching uses a relay in the box to turn the lights on and off, adding to the wiring.

The cabling is single core, Red, Black, Blue (N) and Green (E) inserted into plastic conduit which is concealed behind tongue and groove covering the roof insulation, so completely invisible…

All Earths and all Neutrals are ganged together in the garage consumer box except those on the 2 functioning sockets.

Symptoms

Plug any device into the socket and power up results in RCB trips going off. This is the case for both earthed and two pin equipment.

Tests

• Removed socket earth – no change
  • Socket L-N = 230V
  • Socket L-E = 228V
  • E-N =2V at socket and all the way back to the main consumer unit
  • Disconnect power trip, socket L-N = 140V

No obvious other shorting faults.

Thread: new member in france
20/11/2018 17:10:02
Posted by michael smith 23 on 02/11/2018 17:09:44:

Hi, new to this site but have been reading Model engineer for the past 50 odd yearsI have lived in france for the past 16 years and have found very few people over here interested in model engineering..Just wondered if anybody on the forum lives over here or has knowledge of clubs etc?

Hi Michael,

I have lived over here since 2007, the last 8 years near Aix en Provence. There is a small club (VAP) run by one of the contributers to ME/MEW, Jacques Maurel based around the Aix/Marseille area. **LINK**

Regards,

Simon

Thread: Never Throw Anything Away
04/09/2018 15:57:51
Posted by Mark Rand on 04/09/2018 02:03:40:

I'd like to work out a way to separate the tiny screws from the ally magnetically, when melting or pouring the HDDs. Having been an IT wallah for 20 years before taking the thirty pieces of silver, I've got a large collection of drives, with the aim of turning them into useful casting ingots. Trouble is it takes quite a while to disassemble a disk drive with the appropriate Torx bits. Crowbarring it apart and ripping out the larger unwanted bits would be far more efficient.

Mark, I think you may be unlucky trying to separate magnetically - I am pretty sure that all of the Torx screws that I have removed are both stainless and non-magnetic.

Dismantling them is both therapeutic and builds your collection of teeny tiny screws - reserve the ripping for the disks themselves and the drive motors - and be wary of the head assembly which I strongly suspect to be Mag alloy from their super-lightness.

Most of my drives came from friendly sys-admins happy to offload a load of dead drives.

Simon

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
TRANSWAVE Converters
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
Meridienne Sept 2019
Sarik
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest