By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for ChrisH

Here is a list of all the postings ChrisH has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Drive Belts - Link or Vee?
15/06/2018 21:58:13

Many thanks for all the replies - I think you have convinced me the way to go!

Thanks also for the recommendations for belt makers/manufacturers to go for.

Chris

15/06/2018 10:08:02

Another "what does the team think" topic!

When renewing drive belts does one go with vee belts or with link belts? What are the pros and cons?

The reason for asking is that I know nothing about link belts, have always used vee belts. I have heard that link belts may be smoother running, but having never used them I don't know if this is correct. I also understand the ability to replace a link belt wth taking machinery apart to do it, which may be an advantage over vee belts certainly. Other than that?

Is there a minimum length that one can make a link belt to obtain the alleged benefits?

Are link belts more dangerous in use than vee belts, meaning are they more likely to come apart?

If one goes with vee belts, what make is a good make to choose? Like all things belt quality varies and there are some rubbish vee belts on the market, I seem to have some to prove that!

Ditto with link belts - which make should one look for to buy?

Chris

Thread: What did you do Today 2018
11/06/2018 10:08:09

Weird. When ever I try to access the webpage provided by the link "Royal Navy Ship designers" Ady1 put up, I get a message saying denied access as the webpage is not accessible in my country. I'm in England, accessing from England, an article about the British Royal Navy. Weird. What don't they want me to know about?

Chris

Thread: Jones .605 Glow engine
10/06/2018 22:06:37

Very nice engine, looks exceedingly well made - well done.

Chris

Thread: Mill vice position?
06/06/2018 23:38:15

If you visit "Toms Techniques" website he shows how to indicate a vice in one pass very simply. I have tried it and it works. The YouTube version is in the link below (hopefully):

Edited By ChrisH on 06/06/2018 23:38:52

Edited By ChrisH on 06/06/2018 23:43:19

06/06/2018 22:56:53

Neil - post 03/06/2018 13:08:25 . Nice Staffy yes, but only part Staffy. Mum was a Staffy, but Dad was a Chihuahua. No I don't know how he managed it either but 100% for perseverance, effort and determination. Perhaps there was a stepladder involved?

Now aged 6.5 months and just under 7kg, the pup looks like she will be under 10kg at full grown and is quite small, sort of Jack Russel sized. Friendly, loyall loving, playful and totally deaf when she wants to be, which is often!

Chris

Thread: Workshop Build - Floor height
06/06/2018 11:58:34

Dave - if you were wondering what a 'polished floor' meant for concrete, it means a floor that has been power-floated. You can hire power floaters by the day. The trick is to wait until the concrete has nearly gone off so you can walk on it but is still a wee bit soft so a little of the 'fat' will rise to the surface when troweled. Then go over and over it with the power floater, maybe adding a little water spray if it's too dry, until a nice flat polish is achieved.

It's well worth the extra effort, you get a nice flat smooth floor. The snag is that there is usually a long wait until the concrete is ready. Lay the concrete at the wrong time of day and you can be power floating at 2-3 am! Not really neighbour friendly. Perhaps get a builder/ground works guy to do it, he will know the right sort of time frames and can plan the job accordingly.

That's how I've seen it done, no doubt someone else will point out where I'm wrong!

Chris

Edited By ChrisH on 06/06/2018 11:59:20

Thread: three phase to single phase motor swap
01/06/2018 14:45:45

Dougie - the full phrase is along the lines of don't spoil the ship for a halfpenny's (pronounced ha'penny's) worth of tar. Goes back to the days of sailing ships where planks of wood were sealed against water ingress with tar.

Having just converted my mill/dill to 3ph motor with inverter control I quite agree with all the above comments saying get another inverter. Talk to Inverter Drive Supermarkets (no connection - just satisfied customer) and ask them to suggest an inverter to suit your existing motor - you may be surprised with the reasonable cost!

Chris

22/05/2018 22:05:44

Murray - you are of course correct, I did mean deg.F not deg.C - been brainwashed by these new fangled units into quoting in C while still thinking in F. Things were much simpler when we dealt in real money. Well, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

But it's still damn impressive don't you think?

Chris

Thread: Green G30 Sleeve Valve Engine
22/05/2018 21:50:10

Just giving this a gentle bump......

21/05/2018 23:35:58

They had an asian hornets nest in Gloucestershire  too a year or two back - quite recent, that was destroyed too.

Saw an interesting video on bees defending themselves against asian hornets out in Japan or somewhere that way. Seemingly, asian hornets send out scouts to search for bees nests. The scouts are then supposed to report back to hornet HQ when they find a nest and then the hornets go in mob handed and eat all the bees. But the bees are onto this and when they see a scout they entice it into their nest. They then surround the hornet and start fanning their wings and build up heat, quite rapidly. The hornets can only take heat up to 116 deg.C whereas the bees can go up to 119deg.C. Not a lot of difference, but enough. The hornet dies in the heat and the bees live to fight another day.

Ain't nature wonderful?

Chris

Edited By ChrisH on 21/05/2018 23:36:24

Thread: Green G30 Sleeve Valve Engine
21/05/2018 21:46:26

Has anyone out there built the Green G30 Sleeve Valve engine? The plans date from 1988. Casting kits were available - one was offered for sale not long ago so presumably some were built. Would be interested to hear if anyone did build one how they got the thing to run and what compression pressure was achieved.

Chris

21/05/2018 21:36:34

Definitely hornets! Not the first time I have had them round, seem to get a couple most years. Big beasties.

Wasps we only tend to see later in the year, and they are much smaller. Found a load of queens - queens as in 'your majesty' not as in 'hello sailor' - had over wintered one mild winter in a furled table umbrella one year, When I unfurled it they mostly awoke and stumbled away, very dozy and sleepy. No doubt they soon woke up.

Bloke who cuts gents hair in the small town in Brittany we frequent keeps bees and sells honey in his barbers shop. He hates hornets as they can destroy the bee hive colonies, and collects the hornets to display in jars in his shop. He is starting to see Asian Hornets appear, which is not good news - it's not far from Brittany to Devon and Dorset.

Chris

20/05/2018 21:29:07

Two days ago went into the shed and was surprised to see a blooming great hornet sitting on the window blind. He looked as if he was of the 'if he says it's Tuesday, it's Tuesday" variety. So I was all kind and considerate, captured him, took him outside and let him fly off.

Today I went in the shed and he's back in there, looking all mean and stroppy. Well, it might be a him, it might be a her, it might be him or it might be one of his mates. Whatever way, I was none to thrilled at the thought hornets might be considering my shed to be a good place to hang out in, so this time he came to an untimely end. I hear they eat bees so was OK doing that - I like bees.

Just hope there's not a hornets nest nearby; hornets I can do without.

Chris

Edited By ChrisH on 20/05/2018 21:30:51

18/05/2018 16:21:19

Mike - good news re the tee shirt, sorry to hear about the medical problem. If you manage to find a doctor to prescribe a daily dose of cabernet sauvignon please let me know and return the favour! And I agree Nurse Dracula sound a much nicer person than a leech, there are enough leeches in this world of all types.

Chris

Thread: Macc Models Update
18/05/2018 16:15:08

So sorry to hear your awful news, my wife and I offer our best wishes to both you and your wife and with for a speedy recovery for her.

In the meantime, at the risk of upsetting some no doubt, your thoughts and efforts must be directed more to your wife than in satisfying impatient customers! You are very brave in the circumstance to be doing what you are doing.

Kind regards, Chris

17/05/2018 10:03:26

I liked this tee shirt...

Robin.  Love it - must get one for my grandson...... Chris

Edited By ChrisH on 17/05/2018 10:03:49

15/05/2018 13:15:52

Unexpected parcel arrived in the post today from eldest daughter. She is her fathers daughter and shares my sense of humour. Parcel contained a tee shirt:

img_2047.jpg

To add to a previous tee shirt:

img_2048.jpg

Thread: sherry shelf life.
06/05/2018 23:12:35

We gave up buying sherry.

Would buy a bottle with the weekly shop, get back home and have 'a sherry' whilst we unloaded/put away the shop before lunch, and ended up every week with the bottle neigh-on gone before we had lunch.

When it got to the stage when we regularly took the top off a new bottle of sherry and threw it away on the basis we'd not need it again we binned buying sherry.

It was nice though.........

29/04/2018 00:21:38

Good day out today, drove through lovely countryside to Dartmoor with it's stunning views for a picnic lunch, then on down into Plymouth to get some essential suppliers for the next brew from excellent home brew shop The Hop Shop in Mutley, then back via the A30 stopping at Monkton at the Otter Valley Ice Cream lay-by for the best chocolate ice cream, in the world (said all Jeremy Clarkson). Probably (apologies to Carlsberg)! Brew day Monday now to look forward to.

Chris

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Engineering? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
Expo Tools July 14
emcomachinetools
Shapiro
SPG Tools October Seventeen
TRANSWAVE Converters
Sarik
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
Warco
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Visit the Model Engineer
Exhibition website

Model Engineer Exhibition