By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for ChrisH

Here is a list of all the postings ChrisH has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Lathe chuck guards - how many folk use them?
11/11/2019 11:26:20
Posted by Robert Atkinson 2 on 08/11/2019 12:45:05:
Posted by ChrisH on 07/11/2019 00:05:13:

<BIG SNIP>

Remember also, whether in your own shed on your own or in the firms shop, an accident only ever happens due to there being an unsafe action taken or unsafe condition existing. It therefore the responsibility of all of us to ensure unsafe conditions do not occur, neither do we take unsafe actions, however we operate our machines or provide for our own safety.

Have a nice day!

Chris

The problem is that you say you have taken that first "Unsafe action" - removing the guard- in your workshop. You also seem to be advocating removing guards to others.

Sorry Robert, but you are wrong in your criticism of me in both respects.

Regarding your "Unsafe Action", the guard was removed so that a potentially "Unsafe Condition" could be addressed. You seem not to have appreciated the significance of what was written in the whole paragraph. I said the guard interferred too much with the setting up process. This it did. If the job to be milled is not very well secured to the mill table then the likelihood exists that it can move when being machined. This could result at best with a damaged part and broken cutter; at worst the part could be flung off the table and cause the operator serious or possibley fatal injury. I like to try to avoid such situations arising so if the guard got in the way of me applying clamps etc and bolting it all down, being able to get the spanner on the nuts, then it is right in my mind to remove it. Better the job is securely fixed down. The last sentence in that paragraph said that I fitted a temporary - meaning not permanent thus removable - screen (guard) to stop swarf and coolant being flung out. I should have said that this is the length of the table giving a better length of protection; I could have also said that if it stops swarf and coolant being flung out it also stops me trying to put my hand in to the cutter area too, but I sort of assumed that folk reading that would figure that for themselves. So I removed a badly designed guard and replaced it with a better one, hardly an Unsafe Action.

No-where in my post did I advocate removing guards to others, so where you deduced that from is a mystery. Look, if someone wants to remove all the guards from their machine, or in reverse, totally enclose their machine with guards, then that is up to them. It is their machine, their shed, their responsibility; I would not presume to advocate any action to them, it's nothing to do with me, but having worked as a H&S advisor I would not advocate removing guards to others, unless, as in my case above, it is to be replaced with better guarding.

What I did try to do in my post was make the point that a) too often guarding fitted to machines is badly designed in that it prevents the operator in running the machine efficiently, or sometimes not at all as has been alluded to in other posts in this thread, or the maintainence engineer easily accessing the parts to be maintained, and b) guarding should be designed and fitted once the designer has seen for him or herself how the operator and engineer have to go about their respective tasks. A well guarded machine is usually a joy to operate in comparison to a badly guarded machine, and the bonus to the production manager is not only does he/she know it is a well guarded machine for their operators but production line efficiency usually rises as a result of it too.

Having been involved in the application of guarding to numerous machines, some built in a time before modern standards were required and thus were never designed to be guarded, I know only too well the issues involved. I also know, having seen first hand examples, the lengths some operators will go to circumvent badly designed guarding, human nature being what it is, leaving the machine in an Unsafe Condition.

Chris

07/11/2019 00:05:13

I've been using lathes on and off for over 50 years, but all the lathes I've used were old ones - my lathe at home is circa late 1960's early 1970's. No lathe I used ever had a chuck guard fitted, and I've lived happily without one, most of the time. The only time I would like one is when I'm using coolant, so save on the mess going all over the shed floor, but otherwise I've never felt I needed one. I never stand in way of the swarf coming off, never leave a chuck key in the chuck - my initial training left a huge impression on me - and don't use two chuck keys on 4 jaw chucks.

But I see new lathe increasingly have a guard fitted in front of the toolpost as well, and for the life of me cannot understand why. In my shed that would be the first thing to be binned, but there is only me in my shed.

My mill/drill had an interlocked guard fitted in front of the quill action bit. That got binned very quickly, it interfered too much with setting up processes. Too often guards fitted to machines prevents the operator from seeing exactly what is going on too. A temporary screen gets put in place to stop chips and coolant getting flung all over the shed, but is quickly able to be removed out the way when required.

The important thing about guards is that they should be designed with the operation and maintenance of the machine in mind, so that their interference with the discharge of both tasks are minimised. This should be borne in mind when guarding is designed, but is very often not, guarding usually seemingly being designed by someone sitting at a desk far away from the shop floor, who has never had to operate or maintain (or even seen?) the machine they are designing guarding for; if they had, that guarding would have surely been very quickly redesigned!

If a guard interferes with the natural operation of a machine by its operator, human nature being what it is, then ways will be quickly found to circumvent the guard - and from experience in production industry, that is a proven. Guarding design is not the walk in the park designers often seem to think it is. Anyone can slap a secure 'screen' around a machine or tool, but can you then operate it?

Remember also, whether in your own shed on your own or in the firms shop, an accident only ever happens due to there being an unsafe action taken or unsafe condition existing. It therefore the responsibility of all of us to ensure unsafe conditions do not occur, neither do we take unsafe actions, however we operate our machines or provide for our own safety.

Have a nice day!

Chris

Thread: PayPal Warning
13/09/2019 09:39:07

I agree Ian, went on PayPal last night I couldn't see a way either - PayPal seem to be light on actually giving useful information and instructions on how to work their system it seems to me.

Chris

12/09/2019 19:43:15

Re scam emails, whenever I get an email purporting to be from PayPal, or whoever else, that seems even a tad suspect I always check the senders email address; It then quickly become obvious that the sender is not from wherever they say they are and I forward the email to scam@Paypal etc, or whoever else without opening it and then delete it straight away.

Chris

12/09/2019 19:38:27

Oldiron, I quite agree with you about mentioning Ebay, I think I must have written that on automatic having read it that way so many times on here, but Ebay it was that they bought their goodies on and charged my PayPal account for it.

I quite like the the idea that you manually transfer. funds to PayPal before you make a purchase, didn't know you could do that, and also to set up a bank account dedicated for the PayPal account that will not pay out unless funds are available; however PayPal has a facility that allows a purchase to be made and paid for by PayPal, who then debit your account several days - 7 in this case - later, which is what happened here. That would need to be deactivated as in my case, the scumbag got their goods a week before PayPal got paid by me.

I can quite believe that you have fraudulent activity via PayPal and similar accounts, I just don't understand how. What is needed is an authorisation email or whatever before a payment is made, but I suppose the hackers would get past that too. All very worrying.

Bill, thanks for the "Agent" tip when calling PayPal, I will try that as I want to find out how to make my account more secure than it obviously is now.

Chris

12/09/2019 14:51:16

For those of you who have PayPal accounts, it would pay you to check your transactions activity listings on a very regular basis, as well as your bank accounts.

I just happened to log onto my on-line bank on Monday and noticed immediately 2 large PayPal transactions had gone through that day, plus another one several days earlier, totalling about £400.

All transactions relate to purchases on the well known online auction site but our account on that site had not been compromised, or at least, no-one had used our account there to make the purchases

I have to say PayPal responded very quickly; I raised the unauthorised purchases with them immediately and within a few hours had an email back to the effect that they agreed and had refunded my money. This I could see on my PayPal account straight away although it was only today that I was able to transfer the money back into my account. Phew! So in that I cannot fault them but it shows that security there can be compromised.

We obviously changed our PayPal password and security questions/answers straight away, but what is bothering me is how someone was able to use our PayPal account in the first place to make these purchases.  Anyone with bright ideas on this please shout!

Unfortunately, PayPal is one of those sites where it is very difficult to actually talk to a human and ask the questions it would seem. Call by telephone and you just get recorded messages, try online chat and you just talk to a useless computer.

I for one will now be keeping a far more close a watch on my PayPal, Ebay and bank accounts in future!

Chris

Edited By ChrisH on 12/09/2019 14:52:08

Edited By ChrisH on 12/09/2019 14:53:34

Thread: Poly-Vee Belts
10/09/2019 22:14:17

Phil - pm sent!

Chris

10/09/2019 21:55:56

Quick query re Poly-Vee Belts. Seems they can come with a variety of variation of ribs - 4, 6, 8, 12, 16 etc. I presume selecting the number of ribs required for a particular belt is dependent on the power required to be transmitted. The question is, what determines the number of ribs required for any particular application of poly-vee belt.

Or put another way, how does one determine how many ribs are required?

Chris

Thread: DRO on a Mill
08/09/2019 22:31:29

Brian, the Z travel is all on the quill and what you dscribe is how I arranged it.

Old Mart and John, you are confirming my thinking!

Chris

08/09/2019 19:33:23

I have a round column mill/drill with a 'DRO' on each axis, but basically, and they are basic in DRO terms, they are just digital scales. I was looking to ugrade the DRO set-up to one of the more comprehensive DRO systems with magnetic scales that give you all sorts of options on the display. Initially I was looking for a 3 axis DRO but now I wonder......

The problem is with the Z axis, On a round column mill attaching a magnetic (or optical for that matter) scale is not easy, bits have to be made and attached somehow, in fact I think I am right is saying Warco (who supplied the mill) says it can't be done, which I suppose would be a red rag to some folk to prove them wrong and until very recently that include me. But looking into the way the up-market DRO's work, it seems that maybe a 2 axis DRO system is the way to go as one can make the DRO think a Z axis input has been fed into it.

Which made me wonder just how much a Z axis input is actually used in machining most run of the mill (excuse the pun) stuff, or put it another way, how often does one do inclined milling and need a Z axis input. Mostly, for what I have done in the past, the Z axis just sets the depth to which I am going to mill to, or drill to, end of.

So my question is, am I missing something that would make it absolutely necessary to have a 3 axis linked up DRO, or would a 2 axis DRO with a digital scale on the Z axis work just as well? What have other folk found, what do other folk do?

Chris

Thread: Size of groove for O rings
10/08/2019 21:11:19

Brian,

Re size of O ring grooves, check out this website :

**LINK**

Chris

Thread: Another scam
30/07/2019 13:51:49

What ever happened to that nice Nigerian Prince who just wanted someone to help him release some money from a bank account whereupon you were going to be generously rewarded for your help............????

Thread: What method do you use to find center height for your lathe bit?
27/06/2019 18:33:23

I use an otherwise redundant vernier height gauge set at centre height. Keep it right by the lathe. Centreing tools is all it's used for. For me it's quick and easy and, due to being kept in a "specially for it" place by the lathe, always on hand.

Thread: Which varnish?
11/06/2019 22:24:01

+1 for Le Tonkinlois - for all varnishing, it's also waterproof (so they say!).

Chris

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
17/05/2019 14:34:09

Went into Lidl today with my wife, whilst she did the groceries I went to see what 'specials' were on offer, found automatic welding helmets on offer at £22.something, just had to get one at that price!

Is it any good? No idea yet as not tried it, but it seems well made and 'the business' - ripper!

Thread: French model Engineers
30/04/2019 23:12:51

I spend some time of the year in France, (or really Brittany which is a very separate part of France!) post code 22160, about an hour from Roscoff, but the rest of the time in Somerset. Model engineering there (France ) is model plane making; in the UK it's more metal bashing!

Edited By ChrisH on 30/04/2019 23:13:11

Thread: The Chocolate Fireguard as designed by Mercedes Benz
28/04/2019 13:52:29

RMA - I repeat, I was commenting in response to what others had commented upon. They specifically specified Merc, Audi & BMW. Yes, I agree there are many many drivers who drive other makes of car in a similar crass manner, but I also agree that the majority of Merc, Audi & BMW driver seem to fall into that same crass driver category; it was not co-incidence that so many others commented on here so and specified those three makes.

You seem to want to make it personal, suggesting I just have a down on German made car drivers because I probably don't drive one. So I presume you do have one and so consider yourself superior. If that is to be your attitude I can't be bothered to discuss this issue further - I have better things to do. And if you can't remember where this thread started I suggest you read the opening post instead of posting a supercilious comment.

Martin P's comment above re the Merc, BMW or Audi driver driving into the back of the transit - love it, sort of reinforces the point somewhat.

28/04/2019 11:55:51

Oh dear RMA - my comment was summarising a lot of comments others had made on this thread about the Merc, Audi and BMW drivers in general. I would certainly agree with the feeling previously expressed here that most of those drivers seem to demonstrate a feeling of entitlement that the road is their own and drive accordingly, without a lot of regard or consideration for others and usually far too fast and too close to the guy in front - certainly none seem to have heard of the "only a fool breaks the two second rule" - and without regard for the road conditions, and yes, indicators do seem to be an optional extra most of them forego.

I was once in the middle of a 74 car pile up on the M23 early one winters morning in the 1990's. At that time I was driving about 30,000 miles a year. Because I did respond to the foggy icy conditions I managed to stop in the middle lane totally unscathed, as did the lady driver behind me and the coach behind her. All around us were cars that had been shunted front, or rear, or side and often all three. All those damaged had been seen to have been driving far too fast and close for the conditions. One idiot who undertook me at speed then swung out right onto the tail of the guy in front ended up next to me shunted all three ways and then appeared on the tv news saying it all happened so suddenly there was nothing one could do. If you drive like the idiot he was then I agree, there is nothing one could do.

Sound like a raw Merc/Audi/BWM nerve has been touched.........?

Too many seem to have a misplaced but touching faith in their own immortality.

27/04/2019 22:04:40

We have the Berk in the Merc, the Idiots in the Audi and the BarnPot in the Beamer. Says it all.

And we all know the difference between a hedgehog and a Volvo (on a hedgehog all the pricks are on the outside.......)

Thread: Cheap DRO for Mill
24/04/2019 12:02:56

I am another that has the cheapest DRO system offered by Arc on my mill. I wouldn't want to be without it, but it is fairly basic - realistically for me it just gives a digital easily read position relative to a datum and in either imperial or metric readily switchable; it is what it is, a cheap way of getting a DRO on the mill and one must recognise that, to get more functions and better quality one has to pay a lot more.

It has not been without it's problems. The display threw a loopy very early on which Arc readily replaced FoC no worries. The display also used to switch itself off, a feature that used to manifest itself usually when I switched the 1ph mill motor on or off - that doesn't seem to have happened since I switched to a 3ph motor with a variable frequency controlled inverter. Also the readout bars occasionally 'stick' - you wind the table along but the display doesn't vary but then jumps to the new position, and occasionally an axis zero's itself for no apparent reason. I have lived with it and worked around it as it is what it is, but that does disappoint. Having said that I've happily had the system for very near 4.5 years now and not regretted buying it.

However, I do lust after a more upmarket DRO set-up like that marketed by Machine-DRO or EMS-i, with the small magnetic readout bars and all the desirable functions, but so far have struggled to justify the capex-spend with Senior Management! One day perhaps.....!

Chris

Edited By ChrisH on 24/04/2019 12:05:14

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
TRANSWAVE Converters
cowbells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Meridienne; London MES
Warco
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest