By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Circlip

Here is a list of all the postings Circlip has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: MIDLANDS MODEL ENGINEERING EXHIBITION
20/10/2019 11:17:22

"Arc May write nice words , but having used the shows ,starting at Donnington , to establish themselves with us , shew nothing but contempt by expecting continued business from us while not being there for us at Exhibitions"

So there you have it Keetan. I have NO doubt had you attended with a cnc miller and lathe, Mr Godley would have paid in cash for them in new threepany bits. It never ceases to amaze how short sighted some are to the logistics and costs involved for some to just look and twiddle and then pass on. Sir John (rip) gave an insight as to what was involved from Arcs' point of view after the Arrowgate saga of rocketing stand prices that had to be born by the trader and NOT a prospective customer who expects a discount on the stand.

Perhaps you should attend in force the next exhibition Keetan but add 15-20% on the tool prices to cover YOUR expenses????

Regards Ian.

PS NO connection with ARC, just a lamented past friendship with his loosrdship.

Thread: VPN?
17/10/2019 10:42:51

And don't forget, the VPN servers store your details in one place, usually for a fee. Just another area for hackers to break. Bit like Faceache and Tw*tter.

Regards Ian.

Thread: What solenoid to use?
13/10/2019 12:33:16

Gravity flap with adjustable weight?

Regards Ian.

Thread: Exactly...
10/10/2019 12:56:28

And were it not for Ingineers (particularly British ones), any sort of C*** we produced had a ready export market to the far flung limits of the "British Empire". Until the late nineties, many of the British companies we supplied to had the "You should be honoured to supply to us" mindset.

Regards Ian.

Edit, we have NEVER excelled at mass production. WE have the unfortunate habit of constantly trying to improve products whilst in manufacture.

Edited By Circlip on 10/10/2019 12:59:18

Thread: Creating Heat for Hardening
10/10/2019 12:45:41

And to get a better grade of cheapo wood chisels go round car boot sales and look for wood handled versions NOT the plastic handled variety. Wood handles will usually mean Carbon steel blades, not the modern HSS non keeping a cutting edge rubbish.

Cheap furnaces can be quickly put together using the Radiants from gas fires. Cannon Gasmisers were A source but have now been superseded by Flavel. Local tip/recycling centre is a good start.

Regards Ian.

Thread: Warco WM18 milling head shake ( technically spindle is precessing) when plunge milling a blind slot.
10/10/2019 12:24:32

Even proper engineering millers will bounce (to a lesser extent) when plunging, so toy workshop machines have no chance. A 4 x 2 (100 x 50) "Memory stick", at the back of the head many years ago would have convinced me not to abuse machinery.

Regards Ian.

And Sir John lovingly and regularly regarded the Bridgy as a POS.

Edited By Circlip on 10/10/2019 12:26:11

Thread: How to repair old King Dick socket extension?
29/09/2019 10:54:28

It's called ACHEIVEMENT as opposed to "Where can I buy"

Regards Ian

Edited By Circlip on 29/09/2019 10:55:11

Thread: Can you identify this old engine?
29/09/2019 10:46:31

Yes Thaddeus, and it looks like you post on more than one forum too.

Regards Ian

Thread: M&W rules now better...
27/09/2019 10:49:49

Must have been the same religion as Neil's, Never measure from the end of a rule. I still always start from the first full numeral, be it rule or tape. Other commandment, NEVER use a milling cutter in a drill chuck, emphasised with a piece of 4 x 2 (100 x 50) on the back of the head. I still remember everything taught by my crusty old mentors from my apprentice (PROPPER ones) days.

Regards Ian.

Thread: Worried
27/09/2019 10:34:54

Ahh, yes, BUT, now we have a new boy on the block. Thanks to the auto cut off feature of most (All?) new cars to boost the MPG/km/ltr figures what price the forecourt calculators? Yet another complication, "This hybrid does 124MPG" ??????? by what parameter?

Regards Ian.

Thread: Water in fuel
26/09/2019 10:32:35

I remember an article in The Motorcycle back in the sixties showing a water bleed conversion of a Carb. on a single cylinder bike.

Regards Ian.

Thread: Worried
26/09/2019 10:25:05

To measure in cms sums up the fact that todays "Dressmakers" panic when lengths are greater than single digits. As a greater than three score and ten member, I had to go bisexual in the early sixties when we were told "Everything in metric, Concord(e) and all that , so working in MILLIMETRES and IMPERIAL was never a problem, likewise £sd and decimal.

Parents had a pub and when serving, I always requested total order at one visit (as opposed to the numpties who would ask in singles). This allowed proper PULLING of pints and also ability to add up to present a total cost, then entering on the till keys which were marked initially with £sd and latterly in £p. Doesn't work today cos A. Goldfish have a longer memory span than many and B. The till keys have pictures of individual drinks now, luckily cos many youfs were away the day mafs were teached in skool.

Regards Ian.

Metric conversions? Used to spend half an hour (30mins) every Thursday fortnight (two weeks) converting imperial "Borderer" dimensions into metric because my V10 doesn't work in Imperial.

Edited By Circlip on 26/09/2019 10:26:10

Thread: Are there any left?
10/09/2019 13:09:42

Pasinghams in Dale Street, Bradford. Many hours wandering round. All WW2 surplus.

Regards Ian.

Edited By Circlip on 10/09/2019 13:11:22

Thread: Home Workshop Site
10/09/2019 12:45:03

"I noticed some dodgy typing in his post too indicating that he might still have a way to go before firing on all cylinders."

Can't help but hearing the echo from the old man

"C***** B******"

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Regards Ian.

Thread: Not Your Modern Lathe Tools
01/09/2019 12:59:41

" Let's not forget Hammond's Sauce, I used to drive past the factory every morning on my way to work. Not only very tasty sauce, they had a championship brass band. Still in production in Bradford but under American ownership. "

If that was at the bottom of Apperly Bridge (Formaly the Rank Leak Wharfedale building), It's long gone and now blocks of flats.

Regards Ian.

Thread: Potty Overcrank 4415
25/08/2019 11:05:15

Long gone are the days when Draughtsmen drew pictures of things they were acquainted with so stood half a chance of the bits fitting together. Having said that, there was/is still postings on "Errors on drawings". The ability to "Design" something doesn't automatically follow the ability to "Draw" it on a drawing package and Vicky Verky. After twenty five years using a board, ink and graphite I went on a course teaching me how to use Acad 12. After the series of basics and tricks to get lines on a screen and manipulation thereof to resemble recognisable objects, at the end of the course, passing written and practical tests resulted in a C&G certificate announcing competency in drawing using Acad 12. I often wondered how the Bricklayer and Car Salesman on the course would convince an employer of their ability to fit into a drawing environment, even though the bit of paper said they could?

Notwithstanding and no criticism to present company, the worst person to check a drawing is the originator and despite a "Checker" having signed off my drawings, I could find errors they had missed and this was a "Propper" Ingineer checking them.

Don't shoot the messenger if the request is to send three and fourpence.

Regards Ian.

Thread: Any one recommend a supplier of 1/4 inch lathe blanks
24/08/2019 10:30:22

Just a word of warning re Tracy tools, If you're in the area of the shop, under NO CIRCUMSTANCES should you call in. They have a special kind of magnet fastened to their shelves which attracts ALL denominations of currency be it coin, paper OR plastic.

A singed customer. (and Yorkshireman at that)

Regards Ian.

Thread: Wasp trap - suggestions please
20/08/2019 09:32:39

Nice pictures Neil. Is it a special phone that has an orientation programme built in or is it an app?

Regards Ian.

Thread: Locking Levers
05/08/2019 10:35:07

" RS have always retained lines with a good quality label and dependable supply"

Didn't infer that they did sell cheap goods, just that in many cases, going to the original equipment manufacturer, the same goods are cheaper. That's if OEM can be bothered to sell to individuals.

WDS were the first iirc to show "Kipp" handles for retail supply.

Regards Ian.

Edited By Circlip on 05/08/2019 10:37:12

Edited By Circlip on 05/08/2019 11:02:17

05/08/2019 10:00:34

RS always have been at the top of the cost tree. Even when the RS "Catalogue" was a few sheets of paper folded and stapled together, a 1d resistor was 5d from them. Of course, no Tinternet then or "Where can I buy" instantaneous demands.

Regards Ian.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Warco
Meridenne Boat 2019
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowbells
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
TRANSWAVE Converters
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest