By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Circlip

Here is a list of all the postings Circlip has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Fly press weights.
22/01/2020 12:18:52

"Where have all the foundrys gone, Long time passing .........."

Pity you're not in China or India.

Regards Ian.

Thread: Buying metal - caveat emptor.
21/01/2020 11:48:21

Given the complaints about errors on ME drawings, It's going to take a Loooong time to get the material specs altered.

Regards Ian.

Thread: Arc Euro Trade website down
21/01/2020 11:34:23

CB's Ketan CB's smiley

Regards Ian.

Thread: Honda Brake Cable
19/01/2020 13:34:49

Lever on brakeplate looks to be splined to shoe shaft? Have you got the lever on the correct spline position.??

Regards Ian.

Thread: Does solder seep into copper plate ?
16/01/2020 13:12:46

Bit of a Steven Hawkins question and black holes. Is Tin/Lead absorbed at molecular level when soldering(sodering) Copper. The old Silver Soldering nugget, If you did this, don't do that. How lucky do you feel with regards to a pressure vessel????

You're gonna need a rocket scientist with access to an electron beam microscope for this one.

Regards Ian.

Wouldn't be surprised at one poster dropping the definitive answer.

Edited By Circlip on 16/01/2020 13:14:29

Thread: 4ft Model Steam Boat Project *need help*
11/01/2020 12:50:47

Before you start to strip the boiler, BEWARE. It could be lagged with Asbestos. The design looks old enough. Best to work with it in a large polythene bag, the boiler, not you. Soaking the various engine parts and tubes in a citric acid solution is a safe way to clean the Copper/Brass parts.

Regards Ian.

Thread: Watch servicing
06/01/2020 12:14:43

And after watching (bad pun) "Longitude". Not only will Harrison be spinning in his grave, HIS pivots will definitely need a refurb if not replacing.

"Throw away chronometers?

Regards Ian.

Thread: MEW 289
05/01/2020 12:40:01

Must be a really complex system Neil, I can compose a "letter" on my system, save it as a draft and any time in the future just press "Send". No rocket science needed. Perhaps consultation with "Pocketmags" is required?

Regards Ian.

Thread: Watch servicing
05/01/2020 12:30:39

Problem with mechanical watches is although the basic train is relatively simple, like todays cars, it's the gizmos added for extra features. Daddy used to repair watches basically for beer money, later I followed suit but stopped when tie cost of a balance assembly was greater than the cost of the watch to put it in. Sadly, with todays throw away society, many "Repairs" consist of snapping/screwing off the case back and inserting a new battery so the intelligence level for that equates to flipping burgers at Maccy Dees.

Having said that, the cost for replacing the battery in the wifes £100 "Radley" wristwatch is £37. Must be really special tools to take the back off this one, doesn't seem to be a snap back and no notches for a screw back, probably a "pressure" screw back although £37 seems to be a standard for this company as the cost to replace the dangly Scottie on the strap . . .. .£37

Looks like you're going to have bite the bullet Steve. Alternative is to book a holiday just to the east of the east German border, bet there's loads of working watch repairers down the back streets.

Regards Ian.

Edited By Circlip on 05/01/2020 12:43:21

Thread: Punching holes in metals
03/01/2020 11:10:13

Even though the Shilling is no longer legal tender is it not still classified as "a coin of the realm"?

Regards Ian.

Thread: Colour matching.
03/01/2020 10:51:52

Long short, Made some between the seat litter bins for BREL, Drawing specified Powder coat Grey to BS whatever (Can't remember spec now). Coating had to be applied by a powder coater as we had no painting facilities. Sent first batch of 12 and following day received a call to urgently go to York works as colour was wrong. Side by side comparison to ours as opposed to a stock item was chalk and cheese, had a colour chip stuffed under my nose to prove this. Went back to give powder coater a stuffing who then proceeded to get the BS colour manual out and their coated bins were exactly the same colour as the manual.

Took a LOT of teeth pulling to get BREL to admit the colour was "Their" BS grey and was in fact NOTHING to do with British Standards but was a laboratory mix by a powder manufacturer of a colour agreed between a BREL designer and the Lab manager. Result being ALL powder coated items of that colour had to have powder supplied by that lab which just happened to be twice the cost of other manufacturers of raw powders.

The above, one of MANY landmines in being given the "Privilege" of supplying BREL as an external supplier.

Safe advice? I'll make it, YOU get it painted. Bitter voice of experience.

Regards Ian.

Thread: Impulse buy German pillar drill
15/12/2019 10:11:49

"Military gear is usually exceptionally well-made, but beware this may not be a good thing."

In a former life I worked for a company producing in effect exhaust clamps ( Vee clamps really). Request for quotation came in one day for a clamp to hold the radome top (Fibreglass) onto the base of a mobile tracking system. Spec. noted "Must be capable of withstanding a nuclear blast." We offered some for the customer to test.

Another asked for an exhaust clamp for a system running at a temp of up to 1000deg C.(Yea Yea Yea) Supplied one made from Inconel and received a Monday morning call after a notable Le-Mans weekend saying after a couple of laps car had to have clamps retightened. Company went by the name of TWR, cars were the big cats.

Proved to us SOME people do know what 1000C means.

Regards Ian.

Thread: Slip gauges
14/12/2019 12:15:34

Posted with monotonous regularity, a screw jack and mics more than adequate for non NASA muddle ingineerin.

Regards Ian.

Thread: aluminium troubles
25/11/2019 12:07:00

I get a mirror finish on 6082 with no coolant and hand ground HSS tools.

Regards Ian.

Thread: Today's 'Live Chat' with TalkTalk
20/11/2019 12:22:32

Talking to Talk Talk is a nightmare nightmare. 18 month contract was due to expire and £20 service was going to rise to £30 for broadband and telephone only (Telephone is always added as an extra to "Standard Charge" SO OK, I'll become a new customer and have "Faster Fibre", cheaper than increase. A Telecoms person arrives to check installation as there seems to be a fault, NO fault at my end. Leaves a pinger in my socket to find other end, comes back to tell me that the Telecoms Box I'm connected to is incapable of receiving fibre. Heated (extended) argument followed via initially Karachi (Or wherever) and then transferred to Sarf Afrika with various music breaks and unfortunately in neither location was English, the speakers native language. Phone down and chill due to exasperation, problem eventually solved via keyboard and customer account link. New contract about same reduced price as before, still only 11m's but no probs.

Regards Ian.

Thread: Quick Machinists Jacks
18/11/2019 10:16:56

Can also be used as adjustable "Slip gauges" (use a mic to set the height) for a sine bar, unless you're working for NASA.

Regards Ian.

Thread: The Great Escape
03/11/2019 12:34:43

However did they manage without Carbides, souperglooo ........

Regards Ian.

Thread: Polishing Acetal/Delrin and other plastics
02/11/2019 09:24:37

For Acrylics, solvent vapour polishing works.

Regards Ian.

Thread: MIDLANDS MODEL ENGINEERING EXHIBITION
20/10/2019 11:17:22

"Arc May write nice words , but having used the shows ,starting at Donnington , to establish themselves with us , shew nothing but contempt by expecting continued business from us while not being there for us at Exhibitions"

So there you have it Keetan. I have NO doubt had you attended with a cnc miller and lathe, Mr Godley would have paid in cash for them in new threepany bits. It never ceases to amaze how short sighted some are to the logistics and costs involved for some to just look and twiddle and then pass on. Sir John (rip) gave an insight as to what was involved from Arcs' point of view after the Arrowgate saga of rocketing stand prices that had to be born by the trader and NOT a prospective customer who expects a discount on the stand.

Perhaps you should attend in force the next exhibition Keetan but add 15-20% on the tool prices to cover YOUR expenses????

Regards Ian.

PS NO connection with ARC, just a lamented past friendship with his loosrdship.

Thread: VPN?
17/10/2019 10:42:51

And don't forget, the VPN servers store your details in one place, usually for a fee. Just another area for hackers to break. Bit like Faceache and Tw*tter.

Regards Ian.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
cowells
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest