By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Circlip

Here is a list of all the postings Circlip has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Drawing Projections
11/12/2020 18:58:21

" I haven't yet come across a trade that uses centimetres. "

Dressmakers and Knitters

Regards Ian.

Thread: HELP in constructing 5 inch gauge points
09/12/2020 11:22:22

" where you will get a response, as it is mainly a locomotive forum, which this one is not."

How times have changed.

Regards Ian

Thread: New scam to beware of
02/12/2020 15:37:35

Had one a couple of days ago from DVLC claiming my account didn't have enough in it to pay my direct debit car tax, proceedings etc. Gave me a link to provide details like Car registration number??? Would have thought that would be obvious EXCEPT, don't have a car registered in my name. Bits of bad English inamongst DOH!

Regards Ian.

Thread: EBAY
28/11/2020 11:20:16

Yes Martin re the capacitor saga BUT only certain manufacturers are fit for purpose when it comes to replacement and in many cases (bad pun) size (physical) does matter.

Regards Ian.

Thread: What am I?
27/11/2020 08:17:23

My mantra always was, "Call me what you want, just pay me my worth and this on a sliding upward scale when you recognise my value"

Too many have been paid on the strength of paper qualifications. In the past, had to teach too many Chief Draftsmen, Production Ingineers and Works "Managers" how many beans make five.

Regards Ian

Thread: magnetic clutch
25/11/2020 12:07:02

Nobody do "Powder" couplings anymore?

Regards Ian.

Thread: What am I?
25/11/2020 11:56:25

Not just today Derek, Luckily, sixty years ago, I ignored the comments of the overall clad teenagers on the top deck of a smoke filled bus decrying engineering. I had a super time (mostly) despite being a PROPER apprentice with wages to match.

Regards Ian.

Thread: School Workshop
25/11/2020 11:33:08

Wonder if it's classed as "Metalwork" and "Woodwork" or lumped into "Art and Design."? Just shows the lengths (And costs) you have to go to to include a "Practical" education, pity the working class politicians were allowed ruin the education system and kill the pipe rack and poker generating facilities.

Wonder haw many if those shown will go on to operate machinery rather than just driving a screen? Surprised that they're not all wearing Hazmat suits.

Regards Ian.

Thread: Electric vehicles
24/11/2020 11:50:56

Totally screws the "Split charge" facility unless you can charge both car and caravan at same time but only if caravan had a Lithium monstrosity fitted.

Pity KR200 had such a poor engine, retrofit was a Honda 250.

Regards Ian.

19/11/2020 11:56:06

Wonder how many cell block shapes it will generate? Given the variations of shapes and sizes the existing car manufacturers use to ensure you replace with a "Branded" replacement and it won't be a Saturday afternoon two spanner changeover.

Regards Ian.

Thread: Who is Right?
16/11/2020 10:58:30

Another toe of snail alchemy trick. Many years ago, the Miller charging system on my Velocette Venom gave up the ghost. My lowly apprentice wages didn't allow an immediate repair/replacement and as the battery only did the lights, (Mag Ignition) my twenty mile round trip to work only needed side lights and yes, depth of winter, a bit of a necessity. Charge used to last for one days usage so when someone suggested emptying battery and flushing out with warm washing soda it was nowt to loose. First couple of flushings gave effervescent reaction (acid neutralization by alkali) but after that, a couple more swillouts before clean water finals and finally replacing electrolyte resulted in full charge lasting three days. Charging system was replaced later thanks to the Prince of darkness but the forgoing was a welcome stopgap.

Regards Ian.

Thread: Plans for updating the archaic forum?
13/11/2020 18:05:23

"Don't know what you mean about orientation"

Yes Jason, you may be clever enough to get ALL your pikkies the right way up, but some can't easily achieve this with ONE. and the endless repeating of full posts don't arf cripple the band width. Pointed this out within the last couple of years by repeating the same thing on one posting, the following poster didn't appreciate my Sinicism by repeating ALL the clag. # Post numbers, far less boring than having to scroll through repeats. Have the same problem with TV at the moment.

Regards Ian.

Thread: Surface milling
13/11/2020 17:55:48

Gary posts what he thinks is a frugal observation to save a couple of inserts which for a MODEL INGINEER seems a good saving on the pocket and then receives a "Tecky" explanation of what he's doing wrong and even though it's a balanced assembly with two cutting faces , I remark, tongue in cheek, the "Folly" of using a single cutting face?

In "Small" Engineering firms, the weapon of choice for removing big lumps would have been a shaper and despite the headlong rush for us Muddlers to try to emulate the latest industrial operations in a shed, I've never seen a multi inserted shaper tool.

As far as production machinists? perhaps we should rename the web site "Model and Production Engineering"

Regards Ian.

13/11/2020 10:41:37

And don't even think of using a fly cutter.

Regards Ian.

Thread: Plans for updating the archaic forum?
13/11/2020 10:25:52

" I'm happier to upload 30 photos straight from my phone or camera than have to go through and resize 30 before uploading as a batch. "

Heaven help us if that's adopted. The thought of so many photos at different orientations angry. The thought of 30 photos being repeated to reply to a post??????? and sorry Neil, the format of this forum has limped on for eleven years, one size fits all for MTM, the attitude being lump it or lump it. A reasonable search function would reveal MOST of the problems discussed are echoes.

Regards Ian.

Edited By Circlip on 13/11/2020 10:29:21

11/11/2020 09:37:32

Same old same old from day one. No post ref numbers. A lot easier to quote a number instead of overloading posts with endless repeats of photo blocks. Quotation system is ridiculous and inability of some to orientate photos. Apart from these, no problem. Did take a looooooong time to sort text disappearing under adverts so not holding breath for any changes. "If it ain't broke don't fix it"? It limps along but the ability to add a splint relies on web designers ability.

Regards Ian.

Thread: Stuart victoria
07/11/2020 11:56:08

Method I've always used. Clean mating surfaces, heat parts and using good old 60/40 Multicore, lightly coat surfaces. While still hot, wipe solder off with a piece of damp kitchen towel ensuring faces are fully coated but no thickness of excess solder. Clamp pieces together and reheat. Shouldn't be enough solder to squeeze out, If you've wrung slips together you get the idea.

Clamps? Vice with a couple of bits of wood to insulate heat drain, Heating media? Small blowlamp.

Regards Ian.

Edited By Circlip on 07/11/2020 11:59:06

Thread: what is it
07/11/2020 11:27:29

Chinese telephones have a lot to answer for, Australian ones worse. Milking machines and fridges use this type of compressor.

Regards Ian.

Edited By Circlip on 07/11/2020 11:29:20

Thread: Calliper - Dial reading
03/11/2020 10:45:42

Do batteries come under "Essential supplies"? Sadly for those who only use electronic measuring and display devices, the ability to count more than twenty, without having to remove shoes, could be a problem. Surprising the number who were away from skool the day they did maffs.

Regards Ian.

Thread: Rubber mat.
01/11/2020 14:16:02

2" x 3/4" laths spaced to suit on 3" x 1" battens, make whatever size you want.

Regards Ian.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
cowells
EngineDIY
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest