By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Circlip

Here is a list of all the postings Circlip has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: stamford show vandals
20/05/2019 08:57:47

Restorative justice, fine but AFTER they've been whipped with red hot barbed wire. Not just a case of turning a few tables over but wanton destruction. Pity we don't have stocks anymore. Saudi Arabia have a good system.

Regards Ian.

Thread: Rudder Bushes on Boat
19/05/2019 09:50:57

Forgot the obvious one, Lignum Vitae.

Regards Ian.

Thread: Harrison's Equipment
18/05/2019 11:20:12

And now, it's often cheaper to buy a new watch rather than change the battery. My own has a photo cell built into the dial so just needs a sun boost to keep running and a radio beacon to ensure its accuracy.

Wonder what John would have thought of that?

Sad his son received the final part of the "Prise" (!) money after his fathers death.

Regards Ian.

Thread: Rudder Bushes on Boat
17/05/2019 10:01:01

Some nylons are hygroscopic and yes, boiling in hot water does work. Was given this tip when freshly molded nylon components were found to be brittle. Water absorbed made them flexible.

Material was Nylon 6. Nylon 66 was designed to be less absorbent.

+1 for Delrin or Acetal.

Regards Ian.

Thread: Upside down reverse threading
14/05/2019 12:13:00

"

Whats the problem with that?

Is it because its not a drill or a D bit or any other kind. "

Try milling with it. Once you've seen one rattle and exit the chuck, you won't do it again.

Regards Ian.

Edited By Circlip on 14/05/2019 12:14:19

Thread: North West 200 coverage
14/05/2019 12:05:19

"

... I rest my case.

MichaelG."

That'll be a first then.

Regards Ian.

Thread: Adjustable workshop perching stool
13/05/2019 12:06:10

"Before we have any wise cracks about the side ways photos I did turn the the correct way round but this hosting just won't load then the correct way round any suggestion why this is."

Cos the programmers are too ******g lazy to sort the website programme out. Same token as NOT having posting numbers on replies.

No doubt there will be replies reprinting your original photos Stewart.

Regards Ian.

Thread: Upside down reverse threading
13/05/2019 12:00:05

In a similar vein, left an American ME site after arguing with a colonial about NOT using a milling cutter in a drill chuck.

"I've been doing it for years" was the retort.

Regards Ian.

Thread: Lathe Light
05/05/2019 12:34:45

" Remember it's , 'Rip Off Britain'. All round now! "

No, it's ALL due to Brexit.

Regards Ian.

Thread: The Chocolate Fireguard as designed by Mercedes Benz
05/05/2019 12:29:56

No, the meter saga was about 20 years ago and it was to REPLACE the standard black supply meter.

Regards Ian.

05/05/2019 09:40:37

And don't buy a new Tesla 3. It may be environmentally friendly but will cost you £315 road tax after the first free year.

Also, a mate was convinced that all the electrickery passing through a white meter was cheaper so he was going to have one fitted for his main supply.

Regards Ian.

Edited By Circlip on 05/05/2019 09:43:38

27/04/2019 11:00:01

"even better would be a sensor to turn them off when a vehicle is behind with lights on. "

Yep, and he is so close his LED lasers are blinding you. Just like F1, driving is a dying art. Get rid of ALL the gizmos and make the driver think. Too many budding Hamblbums don't realise there aint no reset button in a car.

Regards Ian.

No, not a luddite but I don't need a light on the dash to tell me when to change gear.

Thread: Stainless Steel Metric Fasteners
22/04/2019 09:57:38

Galling is not necessarily a quality finish problem. Moons ago when I was inoxing a Guzzi, Dave Middleton's shop was close to where I live so was easy to collect fasteners and chat. Quality and finish on the fasteners he sold were/are top notch. An M12 bolt and nut I bought was assembled and the nut spin on freely. It wasn't on the bike (luckily) but unscrewing them although they hadn't been spannered, proved impossible. The nut was NOT tightened but proved stiff when trying to unscrew, initially by hand but then with a spanner it completely locked. A trip back to Dave's came with the explanation of Galling, especially with Stainless and the use of Copper slip. If it's never happened to you, you're lucky but be warned.

Regards Ian.

Edited By Circlip on 22/04/2019 09:58:54

Thread: Hard to please OAPs
17/04/2019 09:36:16

Peter and Tony, the word Irony doesn't always apply to a high Ferric content material.

Regards Ian.

16/04/2019 10:15:55

Sadly, we are classed as Grumps by the youfs cos they haven't the ****s to complain about even small injustices. Lets face it, it's OUR generation that's caused the present deadlock.

Regards Ian.

Thread: Missing Strip Spring Needed
12/04/2019 16:16:34

Piece of clock spring?

Regards Ian.

Thread: Arc tangent to two ellipses
12/04/2019 12:00:40

"Instead of free-handing, we used to use a flexible rule which was a rubbery/plastic 1cm square rod about 40cm long with a soft metal wire of some kind through the core. When you set it to a curve it would just stay there until you straightened it."

"Flexicurve" , square Lead core with two stainless strips encased in a soft PVC moulded sleeve. Easy way to straighten it was to "Whip" it onto the desktop. Have a later type made from interlocking plastic channel sections, can't get a tight radius, just like the FC. but a piece of solder helped.

Regards Ian.

Thread: Changing Broadband
12/04/2019 11:48:24

Easy to change. Get new company to request your land line telephone number (Strange how you can't have broadband WITHOUT a land line telephone number the cost of which is added to the "Offer" price but not originally shown ) then inform your bank to cancel the DD to original company on a specific date. Changed from Sir Richards mob to Don't Don't due to price hikes part way through contract periods. "We are increasing your cost to MAINTAIN existing service" three months after new contract period??

First time I cancelled TV part and installed a free sat box, second time I replaced service provider. Is it better? not really due to standard TT complaints BUT it's cheaper.

Regards Ian.

Thread: 2 pack, enamel...paint advice please!
04/04/2019 11:29:24

If durability is paramount, I would be talking to a powder coater.

Regards Ian.

Thread: broken calipers
04/04/2019 11:20:44

Problem with using a piece of tube or bar stock bored and turned is that the grain flow runs in the wrong direction. Flat strip is the better choice.

Regards Ian.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
TRANSWAVE Converters
emcomachinetools
Sarik
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest