By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Circlip

Here is a list of all the postings Circlip has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: New-style cover finish
21/05/2022 08:51:42

Surprised no one from the printing trade has replied. The use of the 'glossy' finish papers that have been used for many years means that the ink printed on them never 'drys'. I have mags going back to the sixties that the printed words can be smeared due to the print not being absorbed into the paper surface due to the paper surface pre treatments, unlike newsprint.

Why? cos it's easier to wash out in recycling and gives a 'cleaner' pulp for re-use.

Regards Ian.

Thread: Cheap stuff
13/05/2022 10:50:21

Steve lad, keep thi gob shut. Let them as wants to pay throo t' nose gerron wi it.

What I find amusing is the lengths some will go to to try to achieve NASA and RR standards of accuracy in our hobby. I often wonder how LBSC and our previous metrological lepers managed to get anything to work without working to four decimal places and how do you calibrate a pair of calipers to these limits?

Regards Ian.

Thread: Tyres
13/05/2022 10:36:46

My 'cheap' Romanian Renault has a light on the dash telling me to 'Check tyre pressure' . Don't know how it can sense this, standard wheel nuts so there must be an inertial gravitational balance system built into the dashboard???? Yet another waste of electronic gizmo programming on modern cars.

Regards Ian.

Thread: Emergency Radio Format
04/05/2022 09:09:29

Or, put your head between your knees and - - - - -

Regards Ian.

Thread: Looking for a non-magnetic, strong, easily glued material
30/04/2022 10:18:24
Posted by Hopper on 30/04/2022 08:41:18:

And now that we have a winner for this one, what will be the next quest? The best sock to make a puppet from?

I bet he's looking down, having a good laugh at that one.

Regards Ian.

Edited By Circlip on 30/04/2022 10:30:16

Thread: Cheap stuff
26/04/2022 09:42:38

Don't understand why so many can't recognise Yorkshire frugality? Keep up the good work Steve.wink

Regards Ian.

Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
19/04/2022 09:34:10

According to the news, a big Antonov flew over the south Bradford area between 8 and 9 am on Sunday 17th, must have been quiet cos I missed it, however, early evening on day before, something heavy flew across which gave the impression that the Vulcan is alive and kicking. Didn't get up to look but anyone else saw it?

Regards Ian.

Thread: Before calculators
15/04/2022 10:42:15

Still got my 'Napierian and other Log tables for skools', invaluable, Batteries NEVER run out.

Regards Ian.

Edited By Circlip on 15/04/2022 11:02:31

Thread: 400mm V band clamp, how to make?
10/04/2022 12:28:33

You're looking for "Vee clamps", used to make thousands at 'Smith & Johnson' taken over by 'Eminox'. These people may be able to help :- https://abbeyclamps.co.uk/products/bolt-clamps/v-band-clamps/.

Easy to make if you have a ring roller with shaped compression rolls.

Regards Ian.

Thread: Imperial v Metric Measures
10/04/2022 12:16:45

in skools, cms are taught cos you only have five digits on each hand, 100mm would cause a brainstorm. But for 100mm in inches, you only need one hand with one digit spare.

Regards Ian.

Thread: Microsoft Edge is overriding Google Chrome
10/04/2022 12:08:51

Don't matter what you use, it's still a darned site quicker that getting off yer butt and going to the local library, IF there's still one open in your locality.

Regards Ian.

Thread: What adhesive - that shrinks when it sets - do you recommend for melamine laminate sheets?
02/04/2022 08:57:02

C'mon guys, don't you like to rise to a challenge? Took more than 20 replies to find out the thickness (sic) of the material we were trying to bond. Dentistry springs to mind.

Regards Ian.

Thread: Coming Soon : The shutdown of 3G
01/04/2022 15:05:22

Since you now have to 'Register' to watch call back on most TV channels, am getting a bit tired of arguing with Alexa that it tells me I have to register within five days if I want it to play Radio two. Wonder if the slitherers in the crypt are looking at reinstating the Radio licence for non TV slaves?

Regards Ian.

Thread: "Kiv" or Kiev?
01/04/2022 14:58:26

And the problem of Nuclear as opposed to Newcular. spose if you press the button, correct pronunciation is irrelevant.

Regards Ian.

Thread: What adhesive - that shrinks when it sets - do you recommend for melamine laminate sheets?
01/04/2022 14:51:25

Yep, the idea of having the boards double sided to help stop bowing is good. taking facing off the two surfaces to bond to each other solves that, still faced on outer sides after bonding. Problem is, however you do it, without a laminate press you can't ensure, at that size they will be flat parallel faces. Unfaced 32mm MDF is available so you could face both sides with laminate using 'Cascomite' (Ahh remember it well for making toy boats) but when mixed, add a few drops of Meths to disperse air bubbles in mix.

Regards Ian.

31/03/2022 10:57:16

Yep, kitchen worktop, 32mm thick available but 1000mm wide?

Regards Ian.

Thread: Coming Soon : The shutdown of 3G
31/03/2022 10:54:31

Sadly Dave , ALL technology is not driven by necessity, most today seems to be down to gullibility.

Regards Ian

31/03/2022 10:36:10

And the shift from A to D on TV was to purely release frequencies for the mobile phone wallies. Just like the BBC, land lines are becoming redundant. Big problem if BT are going to kill copper feed for T'internet, I'm linked to a box that they state isn't connected to fibre, and NEVER will be so stuck with a slow expensive service by yackety yack unless I change to super thieves.

Regards Ian.

Edited By Circlip on 31/03/2022 10:44:46

31/03/2022 10:20:34

How thick are the 1000mm square panels? Are they Melamine faced or SRBP -Formica faced. If the former, delaminate the faces to be bonded together and use a wood glue.

Regards Ian.

Thread: Why aren't carbide chop saws used?
31/03/2022 10:07:25

Yes Nick and I can bet you've seen the antics of SOME in industry using them. Number of times I had to replace the roll pin on one saw and even recut M16 left hand thread allen screws to retain a HSS blade. The thought of bits of chipped carbide flying about beggers belief.

Lot to be said for good old handraulic tools. Tis after all a hobby.

Regards Ian.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Rapid RC
Dreweatts
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest