By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for JasonB

Here is a list of all the postings JasonB has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: A Challenge - How Would You Machine This Part?
07/06/2011 07:27:28
Posted by Andrew Johnston on 06/06/2011 22:40:54:. Wow, it must have taken ages to machine the holes for pinions by handraulic means. I wonder how the pockets for the pinions were done, doesn't look machined, but too clean for flame cut, laser or water jet maybe?

Thats a HAND ratchet drill NOT hydralic and the blank was flame cut. The faces where the pinions touch were later cleaned up with a slotter.

Well I won't abandon this thread as John has said the methods suit any bevel gear so onday when I need something like that I will know whats required.

John has some pics on another forum of cutting helical gears on his CNC maybe he will post them if you ask nicely.

Thread: MEW 178 - Unimat 3 Tailtock Capstan
06/06/2011 22:00:01
Posted by Geoff Sheppard on 06/06/2011 21:49:36:
Probably close enough, but could be a bit under-size. Checking a piece of studding at random, it measured 11.81mm.

In that case just feed down 2.905mm

11.81 - 6 = 5.81 div 2 to take the same off each side = 2.905mm
Thread: Guy Martin TT Rider
06/06/2011 20:36:32
The battery on his supersport bike must have been the right shape, came third in todays race.

J
06/06/2011 19:42:25
Pic of a set of embrio pinions from a full size Fowler resteration may be of interest, From the machining marks I would assume they were done by CNC.

However the holes for the pinion pins were very definatly done using manual methods

Photos taken from Carl's Fowler A4 rebuild on TT forum

Edited By JasonB on 06/06/2011 19:49:01

06/06/2011 18:05:32
I don't think Andrews intension is to use the alloy ones as a pattern, I feel he was just testing the programme on alloy and will machine the final ones from CI bar.

A horizontal miller is obviously the better machine for the job as it will be a lot more rigid when you get upto 6DP but not many of us have one which is likely why mgj suggested a vertical setup. You cab also use a rotary table and index plates with a vertical mill as the TR can just be skewed round to the required angle.

J

Edited By JasonB on 06/06/2011 18:27:03

Thread: MEW 178 - Unimat 3 Tailtock Capstan
06/06/2011 16:45:33
Touch the cutter on the crest of the threads and make a not eof the quill reading or zero the Z-axis DRO and then keep feeding down for 3mm (assuming teh OD is 12mm)
05/06/2011 19:39:33
As mgj says the full size were just as cast. If you have a copy of Gilberts Suppliment there are a couple of very good pics of the diff wheels on a Fowler and Marshal and you can easily see the sand cast texture.

I think they were run in with a mix if sand & grease

You don't need teh accuracy, it snot like a car diff going a 110s of rpm and finely adjustable preload. You can't adjust the preload on a TE and when the axle or 2nd shaft warms up and gets longer all those fine fits will all go to pot anyway.

You could always machine them from test wax which would be quick and use that as a pattern for lost wax casting, the finish would be more than usable, these are the as cast teeth on my fowler

Jason

Edited By JasonB on 05/06/2011 19:56:47

05/06/2011 18:50:23
Probably could not show any more as I think he was last shown heading for a pee under a tree.
05/06/2011 18:36:19
He should be in some of the other races over the week, its on ITV4 every night until Friday.

Still don't find the timetrials as exciting as wheel to wheel racing though ther ewas not much overtaking as usual in todays MotoGP.
Thread: 5" Shay Boiler
05/06/2011 16:21:30
You may want to have a word with Helen at Western Steam, looks like she has a 5g shay on the go.

Jason
04/06/2011 17:13:38
Andrew, there is a bit about machining the diff for a Burrell (singel cyl) but quite a bit is the same and they are John Rex parts on Conrads site though he went for parallel depth.
04/06/2011 13:19:16
So will you be doing a detailed write up for MEW

Is it teh LSM one as I thought they did the castings? or are they just the blanks.

Jason

Edited By JasonB on 04/06/2011 13:24:23

04/06/2011 12:28:58
Oh looks like he's a bit slow, only getting to 184mph in the speed trap not 190mph of the fastest bike, is he running on steam Didn't have you down as an old biker Kwil

J
Thread: Countrymans steam part 3
04/06/2011 07:31:16
Thought something like that would be the case, just pointed it out as it may not be an issue with the ME drawings but a consequence of changing one thing that affects another.

I like the farmboy design, its one of the better barstock engines as it looks like its from castings particularly when painted up. I did something similar when I built the zero-six that was in MEB and fabricated it all to look a bit like a Galloway, as you can see it looks a different engine.

J
02/06/2011 16:36:39
If they are bevel gears for a traction engine diff then just cast them in iron and use as is, plenty about like that including mine.

Jason
Thread: Countrymans steam part 3
02/06/2011 07:55:38
Why is he using 1.0mm steel, depending on what method and material used then the articles say 18swg (waste from the rims)which equates to 1.2mm or if rolling from angle then 1/16" (stock thickness) which would be 1.5mm. May still be a problem though.

You could always overdrill the CSK hole, the spokes will still be held radially you the csk faces of teh screw & hole, easier than trying to file or turn flush.

Looking at the photos of Adams wheels on the site he has got his screws in OK but looking at them they are probably metric and I think his spokes are over thick.

Jason
Thread: What's gone wrong with the badgers bum
29/05/2011 12:58:00
I think its because its been written up in another programme and copied & pasted rather than inserted or using the "insert from word" icon.

Jason
Thread: Machining what am I doing wrong?
26/05/2011 07:35:24
I think the M300 (and big chinaman)will have very different properties to a 920 lathe which makes your tests somewhat irrelevant to the OP as the amount of flex in a 920 and the other small hobby lathes means that the carbide tooling is just pushed off the surface.

THey would be pushed to take a 40thou cut, and trying to sneak up on a finished size they will just not take that last 1-2though off, certainly not with the commonly used inserts that most seem to use.

Jason

Edited By JasonB on 26/05/2011 07:44:47

Thread: slow speed attachment for Unimat SL
25/05/2011 20:47:19
That will be the plough wheels made then
Thread: which mill and lathe ... advice please if poss
25/05/2011 16:28:54
The X3 / 20V size mills are Ok to sit on a sturdy bench, my X3 does without problems.

A lathe of around the DB10/11 or 250/280 size can go either way, I have my 280 on the makers metal stand but replaced the panel between the two cupboards with some draws as its a waste of space.

To cut gears on any mill you will need a means of dividing the gear blank into the number of teeth required, this can be done with a dividing head or a rotary table with a set of indexing plates, I use the latter as the rotary table has a lot of other uses. You will also need suitable gear cutters which can be had for about £20 each and an arbor to hold them with.

Jason
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Allendale Electronics
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest