By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for JasonB

Here is a list of all the postings JasonB has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What is it
02/10/2019 19:19:15

Is that small "boring head" ty etool in the second photo actually being held in a collet, similarities to this Aciera accessory

02/10/2019 18:49:24

The first looks very similar to one of the Deckle punch milling attachments.

02/10/2019 18:34:42

Could they be some form of slotting tool for cutting internal splines.

Depth of cut on the first one is done like a boring head and the second one would have a similar arrangement. You then index the cutter round for the number of splines required. Drive it in and out on a slotter or manual rack and pinion, maybe even horizontally on a shaper

Thread: Drill running off course
02/10/2019 13:26:55

As a lot of hobby users won't have machines that can drive a large drill I would say that is really asking for trouble by overloading and over heating that may pop a motor, board or strip gears. Better to work up through the sizes keeping the load down and often allowing a faster speed which keeps the motor in it's happy band and cooling fan working.

As for drills snatching or producing lobed holes in thin work get a step drill or two. The near zero helix stops them snatching and the previous diameter pilots the next one up the drill so they won't wander helped by being short and stiff. Or if doing a lot of sheet work the get sheet metal drills.

There you go Neil, next months subject can be step drills.wink

As for sizes of spot drills as I said early on 1/8" and 3/16" have done me for the last 7-8 years, it is only when you want to use them as a combined CSK that you need a size to suit the screw head rather than the hole. All my commonly used drills have gradually been replaced with split point ones so don't have such a large "flat" on the end and in many cases can just be used without any punching or spotting, infact I seldom mark out now as the DRO can do a better job of it.

Edited By JasonB on 02/10/2019 13:30:45

Edited By JasonB on 02/10/2019 13:33:37

Thread: Muncaster's Simple Entablature Engine
01/10/2019 19:25:15

You are off to a good start, I doubt the 0.2mm will make a lot of difference so upto you if you make the chest and cover wider or to drawing.

I have just had a message from Lee to say that he can cast in most materials to your own supplied patterns. I've only had CI from him which was cleanly cast and a nice bit of iron to machine. Anyone with deep pockets and a liking for a bit of bling could ask for a bronze flywheel. he can be contacted by message on e-bay here

Thread: Issue 286 Spot drills
01/10/2019 19:13:49

MC, have a look at my second post in this thread for reasonably priced, reasonable quality ones. They are often cheaper than ctr drills of the same quality from these suppliers.

01/10/2019 18:33:48
Posted by Rockingdodge on 01/10/2019 15:48:45:

What would be the options for a spiral flywheel in the UK Jason?

Same place as when you asked last time on the first pagesmile p

I messaged Lee and he says he has no flywheels listed at the moment as out of the country until the middle of the month. he will cast some more when he gets back. I will keep you all informed. Please not I have no links with lee, just a satisfied customer. he used to do the casting for College Engineering before they changed hands as it was one of the flywheels they sold.

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread 2019
01/10/2019 16:20:27

Off to a good start Jim.

Thread: Electric Traction Engine
01/10/2019 16:17:20

You only need a very shallow CSK infact just deburring the holes will do. Then cut the rivits so they will be just about flush with the inner face and all you need do is ctr punch them which will expand them enough to hold. Dab of Loctite won't do any harm.

If you start trying to pein then over to fill a CSK then you will end up with a distorted plate.

You could reduce the number of stays by at least 1/3rd and then it is not such a job to reduce the rivirt heads in teh lathe to make them look like stays

Thread: Cutting tools - what type is most suitable?
01/10/2019 13:28:06

Don't think I would touch Dave's set those parting and threading inserts are not common, seem to remember a couple of posts where posters were trying to get them.

01/10/2019 13:25:28

Will for something like that you would also need a parting tool I suggest insert type or combined parting/grooving to cut the central recess which I assume is filled with resin or other metals. The advantage of the combined tool is that you can also get half round ended inserts which leave a nice internal fillet

The convex outer edges could simply be shaped with a file held against the work as it rotates after a few roughing cuts to remove the excess. You could also grind up an HSS tool with a concave cutting edge that would do the job and may be better if you have a number of similar rings to make.

I would tend to do most of teh external shaping while still on the end of a solid bar, then drill and bore to size before parting off (use same parting tool as above) Then mount on your mandrel for final finishing and polishing.

Thread: Red Wing build article
01/10/2019 13:17:28

There are plenty of build threads on the net.

May have that mag as I was given some old once recently.

01/10/2019 13:14:29

Thank's Robert I had seen those before as they are also sold by Little Machine Shop as well as M&M Though the rim is a bit heavier.

Out of interest I did also run the CAM and generate the code to cut the spokes into a pre turned blank and it looks good on the screen.

Thread: Cutting tools - what type is most suitable?
01/10/2019 07:05:31
Posted by old mart on 30/09/2019 21:41:59:

You are going to run into trouble straight away boring 22mm in 25mm stock, the finished wall thickness is only 1.5mm.

Where is the problem? Hold a piece of bar with say 20mm sticking out the chuck, bore and then part off. No risk or distorting the ring with jaw pressure.

I managed a much deeper hole in some 38mm not long ago to leave 0.5mm wallsmiley

Thread: Turning between centres on Super 7
01/10/2019 07:00:26

Just bolt something to the opposite side of your faceplate if you find vibration a problem

Thread: Water level indicator
30/09/2019 20:14:40

Not familiar with that engine but some had a vertical tube that took a rod with a float (cork) on it that would indicate water level.

Thread: Turning between centres on Super 7
30/09/2019 19:59:40

cranked leg driving dog will mean you don't need such a long peg.

Or hold a bit of scrap in the 3-jaw, turn a 60degree point and then use the side of a jaw to drive the cranked dog no drive pin required.

Edited By JasonB on 30/09/2019 20:08:20

Thread: Allchin
30/09/2019 19:53:52

This photo shows the manifold that fixes to a pad on the top of the boiler so all 4 items are off the manifold

manifold.jpg

One option may to enlarge the front left fixing hole and use a banjo type fitting and run a short length of pipe from that to the top of the water gauge. Though check clearance to gears.

Edited By JasonB on 30/09/2019 19:56:12

30/09/2019 19:39:38

Bill, you must be looking at different engines to me. The first three on station road steam all have the water gauge, injector feed, water lifter feed and pressure gauge all off the same manifold as per the drawings.

Richard, at the end of the day it will be your boiler inspector who will have the final say so talk through any solution swith him before cutting metal.

Thread: Issue 286 Spot drills
30/09/2019 18:53:14

Maybe the clue is in their mention of carbide drills which could possibly be a bit more fragile than HSS.

I usually just make a small dimple with a 90deg spotting drill which is not really any different to a good old whack on a ctr punch. Could be more of an issue if you are spotting to near or even larger than the drill diameter.

I did find several 60deg point solid spotting drills on the net but the only UK one I found was a bit pricey starting at about £40 for a 3mm dia one. I would also think the more pointed they are the more fragile so there may be less benefit if using to avoid broken ctr drills.

Edited By JasonB on 30/09/2019 18:53:36

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Meridienne oct 2019
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
cowbells
Eccentric July 5 2018
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest