By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for JasonB

Here is a list of all the postings JasonB has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Can Anyone Help Me to Identify This Very Old Boiler Please?
16/08/2019 08:50:37

Thanks, missed that.

Though under the thread title it says "I have an antique boiler........"??

Could be an old listing and hattie can't take or upload new photos.

Edited By JasonB on 16/08/2019 08:56:52

16/08/2019 08:40:34

" I have always assumed it's from a steam engine"

Suggests Hattie has had it for some time, and not yet listed it as she is enquiring what price she may expect it to sell for. Obviously if it can be described correctly she will hopefully get a better price which is why we get so many "what is it" questions.

Edited By JasonB on 16/08/2019 08:43:13

16/08/2019 07:19:14

It is not actually 1" think, from the bottom you can see a tell tale line of the inner tube, same around the firehole. If it were solid there would be no need for rivits around the bottom or fire hole. Hattie, this shows a section through a typical boiler, you can see how there are "spacers" between the inner and outer walls creating a space for the water.

boiler section.jpg

It is certainly missing some form of base as you would have needed room for air to get in under the grate. The lack of other holes is odd, the two brass "test cocks" part way up would have been used to gauge the level of the water between the two skins of the boiler, safety valve is obvious. The larger of the two bottom fittings looks like it may have been used to draw off hot water as the handle suggests more frequent use than a blowdown valve that is just used at the end of the day to clean out the boiler.

Edited By JasonB on 16/08/2019 08:57:38

Thread: Blowers / lighting the fire.
16/08/2019 06:52:32

To give a new member a chance to post again if they are nervous about stating their own thread.

Thread: What 3 Words
15/08/2019 20:41:00

Do they use words in each specific country's dictionary as for those that cant read and write English spooky.solemn.huggers would simply be a string of letters and if Russian or Chinese for example not even ones in your alphabet?

Thread: Blowers / lighting the fire.
15/08/2019 18:42:05

I don't really know why your Rob Roy loco would need a Little Samson Traction engine?

Maybe better to start a new thread asking for what you actually need rather than drag up old ones.

Thread: What 3 Words
15/08/2019 18:34:24

Could be confusing for people living in high rise blocks who would all be in the same grid square.

Thread: Water pump shaft clearance?
15/08/2019 15:01:49

I ran a couple of those filters for years and always quiet, airpump probbaly drowne dit out but expect they were the older ones.

As Neil says they are quite slack, I have another larger pump where the impeller is held in rubber "bearings" and my Messener Koi pond pumps have plenty of freeplay

Thread: Lathe Speed - What am I missing out on?
15/08/2019 14:55:32

As Mick says it sounds like your tool height is wrong, any error will show up more as the work diameter gets smaller.

Fine to run at 2000rpm but you won't see a lot of difference running at say 1000rpm while you build up confidence. 2-300 is too slow.

Thread: Grinding your own lathe cutters
15/08/2019 07:32:54
Posted by Lainchy on 15/08/2019 07:18:44:

.............. but the insert tooling certainly doesn't like taking 2 thou off something as much................

Get yourself some half decent **GT inserts, they work well on small lathes and can be used on all metals.

Thread: Where do I buy these, I've looked every where.
15/08/2019 07:05:21
Posted by not done it yet on 14/08/2019 22:10:40:

or maybe hits are linked to other sites frequented by the user? devil

Or maybe it has something to do with the complaints about your postings and reported posts that originate from you that get possibly suspect comments deleted.

Thread: 4 stroking a Merco 61...
15/08/2019 06:56:36

Yes.

14/08/2019 20:42:46

Sorry, I've only ever turned my liners from Cast Iron or steel barstock and either lapped in the piston or used rings.

Edited By JasonB on 14/08/2019 20:47:08

Thread: lathe part supplier asking questions over my head...help
14/08/2019 20:15:19

I would imagine that most radii shown on clocks which seems to be your intended use would be more for decorative purposes and more often that not would be turned freehand with a graver than using a form tool so "look " is more important than absolute accuracy.

Even grinding to a printed template that can be stuck to the tool or cut out and used to mark the tool will do, this picture shows a tool in th emaking, with a hole drilled as I mentioned above to form the half round then the printed template has been used to mark th erest of the shape.

The completed tool in use

And completed part

And a bit of big boy 5" dia hand graving

Thread: Can Anyone Help Me to Identify This Very Old Boiler Please?
14/08/2019 19:46:37

Could be built along the lines of a Merryweather boiler where you would not see the tubeplate as it is a smaller diameter than the boiler shell. Plenty of cross tube boilers about where you only have a ring of rivits top and bottom sucjh as this

Edited By JasonB on 14/08/2019 19:52:10

Thread: Commercial boiler identification marking
14/08/2019 19:32:35

Not forgetting the all important CE marking if that applies. and test pressure

WSME in the case of Western Steam

Edited By JasonB on 14/08/2019 19:33:45

Edited By JasonB on 14/08/2019 19:34:10

14/08/2019 14:04:42

belt drive would be very simple at the bottom end as you just need to replace the gear I showed with a toothed pulley, don't even really have to cover it up if you use a sealed bearing or two. The backplate could then be made the same overall shape as the original which would look neater. Then just a pulley with twice the number of teeth on the camshaft(s) or rotary valve(s). Check your PMs.

14/08/2019 13:07:07

No, best to gauge the diameter of the hole in the motor with a drill bit shank

14/08/2019 13:03:15

I think the special had the linx in it which is the belt drive OHC, but if going for pushrods then the Bobcat/jaguar head would suit

14/08/2019 12:58:52

just type "flip top oiler" into your favorite search engine or e-bay

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric July 5 2018
Advertise With Us
Meridienne Sept 2019
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest