By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for JasonB

Here is a list of all the postings JasonB has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What *should* a Warco Super Major Milling Machine be able to accomplish?
19/05/2020 17:10:27

So here is the thread with my posts about one of the very cheap facemills and very cheap inserts.

Starts off with the vibration you mention shown by the light moving about, later posts shows head is a loose fit on arbor and later still what a difference better quality inserts make.

That was a couple of years ago, since then I have tried out the reasonably priced facemills and inserts from ARC, if you can get your hear running true then their inserts would be worth fitting.

With those things sorted I would say a good starting point would be 1mm DOC over 80% of it's width so 40mm wide passes at 750rpm in steel and 2000rpm on aluminium.

Stevie's finding with a similar very cheap one, other cutters work well with decent inserts

Edited By JasonB on 19/05/2020 17:29:30

Thread: Annoying milling cutter diving into the work
19/05/2020 16:58:28

You will now also find it a lot easier to change collets as when snapped into the nut they are pulled out of the main body when the nut is undone, usually the nut loosens first then another turn or so and it will "pop" loose, This is when you need to be ready incase the tool drops particularly if you are using a cutter less than the max size of the collet.

A good milling for beginner series may be worth readingwink 2

Thread: Turning oil filled bushes!
19/05/2020 16:31:38

Reaming is what's not good for them and those reaming probably don't use a suitably over size reamer anyway and wonder why the bush is tight when pressed into place

Thread: STEAM ENGINE VALVE LEAKS
19/05/2020 16:28:57

As Michael says any tightness of the nut in the groove,valve rod in the cross groove or a wonky thread can stop the valve finding it's own position on the port face, you want it free but not sloppy

I don't polish of flatten any of my engines, just run them straight away with the machined finish.

Thread: Turning oil filled bushes!
19/05/2020 15:08:07

**GT inserts work for me.

19/05/2020 14:30:17

This is how to insert the collet

Was it a 10-9mm collet you used for the 10mm cutter

Thread: What *should* a Warco Super Major Milling Machine be able to accomplish?
19/05/2020 14:25:21

Go search the forum for facemill, I posted how bad a cheap 50mm facemill was, the reasons why and how I cured it. Also look at StevieGTR's recent threads where with the right inserts his facemills worked well, the cheap 50mm one did not but all in the same machine

Get some half decent milling cutters to, could do worse than these

Edited By JasonB on 19/05/2020 14:27:39

19/05/2020 13:58:01

DOC in what?

How wide a cutter 3mm or 80mm facemill

HSS or carbide?

Cheap cutters or decent?

Thread: Stabilising a Milling Machine
19/05/2020 13:54:26

Straight to the floor but make sure there are no gaps under the feet, if there are add shims. You can use sleeve anchors or thro-bolts which will just poke through the hole so mill won't need moving.

When you have done that get a wall socket fitted so that lead does not run across the doorway

Edited By JasonB on 19/05/2020 13:55:26

19/05/2020 13:51:16

Are you inserting the collet correctly into the nut before inserting tool and tightening it up? Are you doing it up tight enough?

Yes best to lock quill and head to column

How much did you move the cutter over per pass and what is the height of teh slot?

Edited By JasonB on 19/05/2020 13:52:04

Thread: Stabilising a Milling Machine
19/05/2020 13:43:11

Bolt it to the floor then no risk of it toppling over and more rigid than rubber feet

Thread: Which slitting saws
19/05/2020 13:41:19

If getting from Chronos then go with the 3" x 30T if you want imperial widths, none of their metric offerings look that fine (they do use one photo for all) so if you want metric then I would go to say ARC who have coarse ones.

Thread: Logging in
19/05/2020 11:01:54
Posted by Andrew Tinsley on 19/05/2020 10:57:51:

I doubt it is a Windows 10 update that is causing the problem. It seems endemic to the site software. I have been logged in for many months and suddenly I am logged out and this goes on for a week or two and then I am logged on again for a prolonged period.

Sound like the software engineers need a few days to update the site software following a Windows update to get it settled down again until the next Windows update comes along and everyone starts moaning againwink 2

Thread: Lead size for metric bolts.
19/05/2020 08:44:31

Same here larry, finger joint jig just needs a bit of something to fit into the kerf of the first cut unless you want to do irregular patterns.

Edited By JasonB on 19/05/2020 08:45:20

Thread: 3D CAD software - what do you use?
19/05/2020 08:26:08

I'm also an Alibre user and I'm sure you have seen I make what I draw. If starting out from scratch again I can see the temptation to go for something free but there is always the niggle in the back of my head that says it won't stay that way for ever, you may get a lifetime licence but whats to say you will get a lifetime of updates if they change their terms or could you even download onto a new computer in the future? At least with a paid for one you get updates, can use where and on what you want and help is readily available.

Thread: Lead size for metric bolts.
19/05/2020 07:56:56

You can get M10 x 1mm pitch threaded rod at quite reasonable prices which would make for far easier use, typical seller

You would have to glue in the matching nuts as the typical pronged or screw in nuts used by woodworkers tend to only be available in metric coarse.

Edited By JasonB on 19/05/2020 08:10:38

Thread: Mill recomendations ?
19/05/2020 07:15:38

Don't rule out an R8 spindle, many would say more appropriate than MT as suggested above..

Just because the machine comes with a drill chuck should not put you off, just treat it as one accessory you won't need to buy as a mill makes a far more accurate drilling machine than a bench drill.

Thread: Spot Facing With Slot Drill?
19/05/2020 07:07:19

Should be OK, you could use a slightly shorter pin so the 10mm hole can go a bit deeper which would help.

Thread: Using large dies
18/05/2020 20:42:44

I think trying to cut the thread true would be even more of a challenge than turning the die especially if he wants to use it for chuck mounting.crook

Thread: garden chair, wooden slats broken.
18/05/2020 17:15:17

You can get hold of some plantation grown teak but it is said to not be as dense or durable as natural growth and even then it's rather expensive.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Allendale Electronics
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Warco
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest