By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for JasonB

Here is a list of all the postings JasonB has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Waiting for my copy of MEW
01/08/2020 13:06:58

If you go upto settings in the green bar along the top of the page and enter the 10 digit subscription number you should have got then I can look up your details.

Thread: Change chuck on a seig c0?
31/07/2020 14:35:58

Text may say loosen 3 nuts but parts pic shows a threaded spindle as does ARC , their backplates are also threaded. You can also see the cross hole that takes a tommy par, put another bar in one of the three holes in the chuck body and lever them apart.

Thread: Chucking out
31/07/2020 13:09:51
Posted by fastdave on 31/07/2020 12:19:28:

The chuck is threaded, yes, and on a backplate,.............

Dave can you confirm which.

Either the body of the chuck has the thread cut directly into it in which case you can't do much about it.

Or it is screwed to a threaded backplate either from the face or from behind in which case the two should be separated, the backplate mounted on the spindle and skimmed true then the chuck refitted

Well looks like my chuck is 10 times better than most, 0.015mm or 6/10th of a thou and thats mounted on the unskimmed chinese backplate that came with the lathe, even the Warco chuck was just over a thou but scroll got tight.

31/07/2020 11:58:47

Is this a threaded body chuck or one on a backplate? if a backplate one then it will need the backplate skimming on your spindle as it is unlikely to match that of the other lathe.

Thread: Need help with my lathe chuck size
31/07/2020 11:51:53

That's interesting when I looked the other day before posting my reply they had 145025 as M14 and 145026 as M12 both without arbor

Thread: Guard rails and stanchions.....how do you make yours
31/07/2020 11:46:27

I'd drill through the base and screw them on from below, it allows you to rotate them so the rail holes are in line.

As for making use round bar, cross drill for rails first and then turn from that, mill if I want any squares where the rails go or at base, saw/part off, face bottom end true and then drill and tap for fixing.

Edited By JasonB on 31/07/2020 12:08:56

Thread: Hardening EN8?
31/07/2020 07:00:50

I'm on the soft a free to turn side of the fence.

There should be no problem locating them just a pin through the hole in the part and the buttons will line them up and if you want them clamped tight then thread both ends of the pin for nuts.

Thread: Time for new collets?
30/07/2020 16:26:06

Are you measuring the 5 thou runout at the shank of the tool or the cutting edge, quite possible it distorted when quenching.

My "typical R8 collets from ARC give half a thou or less.

Thread: cable protector
30/07/2020 12:59:34

cable guard

Edited By JasonB on 30/07/2020 13:00:02

Thread: Further Adventures with the Sieg KX3 & KX1
30/07/2020 09:55:53

They have the Siemans control systems, hence the S at the end of the name.

30/07/2020 06:50:33

I managed to get it OKwink 2

Thread: Cutting Edges on Metal lathe Cutters
29/07/2020 20:39:06

Your best bet would be to put a R/H cutter in the toolpost and watch what edge does the work as you cut, it will be the one contacting the work and doing the cutting.

As an example I have marked the cutting edge on this R/H tool in green

rh edge.jpg

You can see it doing the cutting here, bit too heavy a cut for your Sherline but it does show the whole edge working.

Thread: Starting Small Holes
29/07/2020 08:15:08

Spot drill works for me, I often use 0.8mm for split pins in small shafts and have no problem locating with a shallow spot drill dimple followed by 0.8mm drill.

Thread: Is the Model Engineers Workshop Magazine Finished
29/07/2020 07:06:19

With the onset of Covid overseas subscriptions were suspended starting with 293 so that is why you have not got the mags, 295 is on it's way and your subscription will be extended for two issues to cover the ones you did not get.

Looking at your details you have not entered a subscription number, this is a 10digit one so won't get the temporary digital access without a subs number.

Also helps to use the e-mail that you used when you took out the subscription. Address would help us too as I'm assuming you are in Australia by the e-mail used.

Thread: Further Adventures with the Sieg KX3 & KX1
29/07/2020 06:58:18

let us know how you get on, I'm sure as computers die and ones with parallel port and older operating system become harder to find others may be in the same boat. Mine was one or the USB ones which helps.

Thread: Need help with my lathe chuck size
28/07/2020 19:50:29

As they seem to do the chuck in both M12 and M14 x 1 it is quite possible they have sent the wrong one, if you have a pair of digital callipers measure the inside of the thread and if you get about 13mm then you have the M14 one.

These chucks are ready threaded so what was said above about backplates won't apply

Edited By JasonB on 28/07/2020 19:51:19

Thread: ER32 Spin indexer - tightening and loosening the collet nut
28/07/2020 07:12:24

I think an ER 40 would be too big at 63mm dia though as the indexer is for work holding it is unlikely to need the same holding force used on a hard cutter shank

Edited By JasonB on 28/07/2020 07:13:24

Thread: A novel 'non-cuttable' material.
28/07/2020 07:05:10

I suppose if you make anything thick enough it will be hard to penatrate ,

The test shows that in 1min the 40mm thick test piece was only cut 15-20% of it's depth. So that's 8mm which would be a good depth to cut in 1min into steel so unless you are talking armor plate thickness I can't see it being a lot different. The also only used a 125mm grinder, the series would go at it with a Stlhl saw. They also show a disc for cutting steel, wonder what the result would have been using one for aluminium or even diamond which would have coped with the ceramic better.

Thread: ER32 Spin indexer - tightening and loosening the collet nut
27/07/2020 18:54:36

here you go Bill tightening and loosening the ER nut a couple of times and then removing the adaptor sleeve, you can see it toog quite an effort to undo as it needs to be tight otherwise the handle and drawtube will just undo. Those who have been using too much fairy liquid may want a soft mallet to pop the taper rather than the heal of your hand.

Thread: Quality small metric spanners
27/07/2020 18:51:09

The Proxxon ones that Axminster do are quite nicely made and what I use though 5mm is the smallest

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
EngineDIY
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest