By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for JasonB

Here is a list of all the postings JasonB has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Yorkshire Steam Wagon Drawings ???
04/06/2020 10:24:29

Previous post removed.

The Suffolk boiler is not a return tube one, just has three cross tubes to simplify things though no way to get to the tubes should they ever need replacing and not a lot of heating area.

Edited By JasonB on 04/06/2020 10:26:00

Thread: Illustrations ME4640
04/06/2020 10:14:00

Our editors work from home anyway.

Looking at the digital version the engine cross section is OK but the pencil sketch quite poor being little more than a fag packet sketch to start with so can't just be the different formats that the files get shared about using otherwise the sketch would be OK too.

Edited By JasonB on 04/06/2020 10:19:37

Thread: Slitting saw applications: limited?
04/06/2020 07:26:28

Get a stub arbor with a screw on end not the nutted type then you can get the blade down quite close to the top of the mill vice, these are also usually longer than the multi size slitting saw holders.

If you do have a nutted arbor then hold the work towards one side of the vice and you can get the blade down level with the vice jaws

Edited By JasonB on 04/06/2020 07:52:49

Thread: Yorkshire Steam Wagon Drawings ???
04/06/2020 07:17:59

The CAD drawings will be nothing like the original full size drawings Darren is working from, plenty of other sets of drawing for models taken from other original works drawings over the years and the person drawing them has the copy right. Grey area if Darren were redrawing a set of 4" drawings in CAD but he is not.

Thread: Stuart 10V Build Log - Complete Beginner...
04/06/2020 07:09:34

If you have afully functioning DRO then just use the PCD function. If simple scales with just a readout then co-ordinates will be fine, if you have a Zeuz book that gives simple formula to get various PCDs and a 6hole can even be done in your head as it's just equilateral triangles.

The Standard I would hold in the 4 jaw to turn the feet and use a long length of studding right through the spindle to retain it or better still make a plug for the bottom and use tailstock ctr, if just holding on a bolt then also drill the end and use tailstock support.

Usual way to set the top running true was to drive a lump of wood into the end, file flush and then strike say four arcs in from the edge and eyeball the ctr from where they meet, you can then set the ctr to run true by gently tapping the part into position with the fixings nipped up.

Thread: Illustrations ME4640
04/06/2020 06:58:50

After the Wahya issue I did mention to Diane that if using the authors own drawings that it may be worth getting them to use heavier lines which is only a click or two of the mouse.

maybe Diane could find out what line thicknesses were used and the original size of the drawings and compare those to drawings that come out OK like mine.

Thread: Whats the chance.....
03/06/2020 20:01:28

Unless more article or mag reprints are added then there are only about 5 photos that could be changed, given that some MTM staff are still furloughed and those still working like Neil are busy keeping up with the large upturn in forum activity we have seen over the last few months I would not hold your breath too long.

Thread: Rocking Valve Filer & Stowell
03/06/2020 19:56:33

The cylinder was made from two slices off a 50mm steel bar and a chopped up bronze loco cylinder casting that were silver soldered together.

The new cylinder "casting" was held in the soft jaws to bore, face the end and reduce the flange to finished diameter before being reversed round to do the flange and OD on the other end.

Over to the mill do drill and tap M2 on a 10 hole PCD for the trunk guide flange and 6hole PCD of the cylinder cover, just the 10 hole pattern on the other end.

The cylinder cover was a simple turning job that was then drilled for M2 CSK screws and M1.6 for the gland studs

The gland was turned and then screwed to the cover so they could both have the elliptical shape milled as one on the CNC

Holding the cylinder on the rotary table two 2.5mm slots were cut to line up with the valve block's inlets and a third slot milled around the side to join the valves exhaust to a boss that will be on the side of the cylinder.

Three 2.0mm holes were then drilled down from each end to meet the inlet slots and a recess milled to allow the air/stem into the bore.

Thread: Cross slide adjustment?
03/06/2020 13:19:35

Probably got a split nut that has two small screws to spread the split, not easy to get to but doe soffer some adjustment .0.1mm is not a lot to bother about.

Edited By JasonB on 03/06/2020 13:21:20

03/06/2020 10:21:08

I would not mark it out. Though you could blue the whole thing to make it easier to see what you have cut as a double check.

Thread: Storing & Documenting Your Tooling?
03/06/2020 10:06:58

For boxed cutters just use a sharpie to write the diameter so it's easy to see and store in size order

03/06/2020 10:04:15

Probably quicker to file than set up and mill.

If you really want to machine it then a but of simple maths once you have located the edge, and end of tool should get a consistent result

Thread: WM16 help reqd
02/06/2020 19:03:53

Don't recall hearing of any other users with the same issue so must be fit for purpose most of the time.

Probably useful to have the sideways and up/down adjustment so the nut's position can be fine tuned with the table is in place to avoid any tight spots.

Edited By JasonB on 02/06/2020 19:06:54

Thread: Chilled cast Iron - a small Rant
02/06/2020 13:08:57

A lot will depend on the depth of the chill which is not quite the same as a hard skin, In the photo above it is just limited to corners and thin edges in bad cases it can be quite deep or go all the way through. Then there is the problem that some castings only give you a very small machining allowance so no deep cuts possible

You can see the shine from the chill on this part even though I have taken a total of 3mm depth of cut. Metal was coming off in long blue ribbons more like steel than iron.

Thread: Are there any published Torque settings for BA
02/06/2020 13:00:20

Your chosen tapping drill will also have quite an affect at those small sizes, the CI could go before the screw/bolt fails.

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread 2020
02/06/2020 12:56:33

Although I have quite a few airbrushes and small guns I tend to just go for rattle cans these days. Usually pop into Halfords and pick a colour I like but due to lockdown went for a colour off a chart rather than going by a web image, this is Pale Roundel Blue in QAD ( Quick air dry) 1K with 90% sheen over white primer.

Right from when I first started drawing out this engine I had pale blue in mind and this came out well. next will be Kawasaki Green!

Edited By JasonB on 02/06/2020 12:58:02

Thread: Belt Up
02/06/2020 10:20:40

I've not noticed a crown on my belt sanders, maybe it's due to them all having tracking adjustment.

Thread: garden tractor wheel lug nuts and studs
02/06/2020 10:18:46

What condition are the threads in the hub? could be that they stripped and a previous owner swapped the studs round so he could put a nut each side, that is the only reason I can think of for having the long part in the hub.

There is a photo with the thread gauge positioned right into the thread and pitch looks Ok.

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread 2020
02/06/2020 10:10:22

May give rubber a go but the Mamod one worked well on the RMC I did over Xmas and it's easy to join & break.

Thread: Hobbymat top slide repair
02/06/2020 08:14:36

I think I would go with a single clamp rather than two separate ones, angle the long edge so it won't get in the way of large diameter work and chamfer back the two edges of the clamp so you can rotate the topslide further without it hitting

topslide clamp.jpg

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest