By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for JasonB

Here is a list of all the postings JasonB has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Axminster SU1 Horizontal Mill
15/10/2019 16:20:25

Last time we discussed it the lack of head room to be able to do any useful work seemed to be the biggest thing against it.

The review on Mini-lathe.com confirms this problem, you would certainly need to invest in some stub drillscrook

Edited By JasonB on 15/10/2019 16:45:37

Thread: High Paint Costs
15/10/2019 14:32:43

That is a bit high and the smaller tin always pushes up the price per lts. but decent paint is getting expensive I often pay £50 for 2.5lts or just under £100 for 5lts

Thread: Mystery rotating V block
15/10/2019 13:27:44

No not mine, just a friend's who happened to post that photo the day before.

14/10/2019 20:16:47

Off a cutter grinder

cutter grinder.jpg

Thread: Help with gearbox oil
14/10/2019 20:01:20

I've been using Warco's 32 weight "head oil" in my WM280's apron for 10years without issue, also use it in the feed gearbox

Thread: Heat insulation
14/10/2019 19:28:52
Posted by BOB BLACKSHAW on 14/10/2019 18:07:12:

I'm a bit lost now with the Map torch I have as it looks like it hasn't the burner size. I've looked on Ebay at the propane torches, will these fit a Map cylinder.

No

I have a large cylinder of Calor gas will this be any good, if so will a propane torch fit the cylinder.

Depends what Calor bottle you have, a propane torch will fit a calor propane cyinder (orange) with teh right regulator but won't work on Calor Butane (blue), patio gas (green) etc

You need a propane torch handle & hose, approx 7Kw burner, 2-4bar high pressure regulator and a propane bottle

Thread: Little '36 Midget Build
14/10/2019 18:57:09

I first became aware of this engine when one popped up as a suggested video on You-tube and I quite liked the look of it. The Video said that the design was in a 1936 issue of Popular Mechanics which detailed making the patterns and a second issue had the working drawings and machining description. After a bit of googling I found the first part on the web but not the second, however the two parts were also published in Popular Mechanics "Shop Notes" from 1938 which I managed to buy an old copy of.

Now you know how I feel about some castings and that combined with a newly acquired CNC mill made the decision to cut from solid an obvious choice and while I was at it a reduction in size from the original 1 1/4" bore down to my usual 24mm bore and a complete metric design. As shown in the magazine there were some rather crude details and lack of refinement so I also set about changing just about every part yet still staying true to the original layout and the look of an old engine not a clunky barstock engine. A few evenings work in Alibre and the basic design was ready.

The parts that needed the most work and that would make or break the project were the two crankcase halves so I started with them by exporting my design from Alibre to F360 where I used the CAM to create the codes for cutting the crankcases.

Rather than make nesting jaws to mill the inside I decided to use the lathe, firstly bringing the case down to thickness with the tailstock giving support as there was not much to hold during the interrupted cuts.

Followed by boring out the space for the crank and an undersize bearing housing. You can just see that I also included a small locating recess for a spigot on the other half, the original did not have this but I felt it would help keep the two halves lined up.

The rear half was milled out with a few changes to the CAM to take into account what I had learnt doing the front half, it is basically a mirror image with the addition of a boss for the vent.

This was then turned in much the same way except a spigot was left rather than the recess.

I also started cleaning up the machining marks with needle & reiffer files and Emery cloth.

The screw holes were reamed to 4mm and some dowels made with M3 tapped holes each end. These also help keep the two halves lined up and are again another feature of my own. It was now possible to hold both halves in the lathe to bore both bearing housings at one setting to ensure perfect alignment.

Thread: Electric Traction Engine
14/10/2019 18:06:22

The minnie has a thin paper gasket, you could also bed yours on Araldite or JBWeld

Thread: 5" gauge boiler rod stays
14/10/2019 14:58:33

Should be something in the Australian code book about design as they don't allow girder stays so all have to be rods

This is a 7" dia TE boiler altered to meet Aussie code

Thread: What grade
14/10/2019 14:40:52

gold plating won't tarnish

Thread: Building the 1.5 Allchin
14/10/2019 14:36:14

Bill, I have marked the top curve of the backhead in green. What you see as "boiler bushes" are above the top of teh boiler due to them being the manifold

allchin manifold 3.jpg

Thread: Heat insulation
14/10/2019 14:32:00

Vermiculite blocks are best for making a hearth. Cup Alloys sell them or a little hearth kit.

Bigger torch is better as your Mapp one will be limited by the wattage of the small burner, about 7kw should do your 4" boiler

Thread: Building the 1.5 Allchin
14/10/2019 14:19:53

Bill as I said in the other thread the first 3 allchins that I looked at are all as per the drawing, you are not looking at bushes where the top WG , injector etc fit into but the rear of the manifold which just pokes through teh specticle plate

allchin manifold.jpg

allchin manifold 2.jpg

Edited By JasonB on 14/10/2019 14:20:35

14/10/2019 14:01:34

You are wrong Bill. As I said there is only one water gauge bush on the backhead and 3 blind nipples for door hinge and lock. The top water gauge, pressure gauge, injector feed and water lifter feed all come off the manifold which has a single passage from boiler.

1 bush.jpg

14/10/2019 13:41:37

Bill see my answer in the other thread, Only one bush for the lower water gauge fitting on the drawings.

Same person asking?

Edited By JasonB on 14/10/2019 13:42:42

Thread: Electric Traction Engine
14/10/2019 13:31:29

That looks rather good.

Thread: Bright EN24T steel vs Black EN24T for cutting gears
14/10/2019 06:49:50

Are you sure your chart is not in m/min rather than rpm

Thread: Albums
13/10/2019 20:01:58

Top green bar along the top of this page, click "albums" and it will take you to yours.

Or just click "14 photos" under your name on any of your posts

Edited By JasonB on 13/10/2019 20:02:43

Thread: Nalon Viper
13/10/2019 18:18:24
Posted by Emgee on 13/10/2019 18:15:28: Cost of this will be more than either of the other options.

Emgee

It certainly will, that's why I tend to just use it for conrods.

13/10/2019 17:36:17

May have been that the drawings were done in the states as they tend to use 6061 far more than in the UK. The link I posted also suggest 6082 is newer.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
cowbells
Ausee.com.au
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Meridienne oct 2019
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest