By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for JasonB

Here is a list of all the postings JasonB has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: suffolk dredging tractor
24/05/2019 18:44:51

No Joy. That article had some chat about the dredging arm but the rest was the ploughing engine boiler hence why it came up in a search.

Thread: Bookpress 5tpi Square thread help please!
24/05/2019 17:39:50

Ah yes, you can go to 2tpi and no worries about stopping at the end as I should think things happen quite fast at those sort of pitchessmiley

Thread: Steam Engine Number One
24/05/2019 17:33:24

This is the stuff I get from my local builders merchant, Feb products should be easy enough to find.

Thread: Turning long slender arbors
24/05/2019 16:13:18

What tool are you using I can happily ctr drill and turn down to a 3/32" shaft and use a MT3 revolving ctr.

Thread: Minnie 1"
24/05/2019 15:52:03

Slow but safe.

Thread: Steam Engine Number One
24/05/2019 15:50:39

If you want to use punch marks then three evenly spaced ones will do the job.

Add as much powder to the water as you can before it won't dissolve any more though it will take a long time with such a mild acid, Brick and patio cleaner will do it in 1/2hr but don't forget you have something in there or it may get eaten. Just let the muck settle and decant the clear stuff, discard the bit in the bottom.

When you take it out of the pickle rinse in water and give a scrub with a small wire brush, dry and spray on a bit of WD40 straight away.

Flux will first bubble to a white throth, then becomes a sticky melted sugar consistency then it will flow as a clear liquid at which point you are upto temperature. I'll photograph a bit of mixed up flux over the weekend for you

Thread: What is the cheapest coal fired live steam locomotive?
24/05/2019 15:40:08

Small gauge garden railway coal fired is probably the cheapest but if you want it to pull you round in circles it will be found lacking but OK for radio control.

24/05/2019 15:37:56

You need someone with a 4th axis CNC which should be able to mill a 2.5 pitch 2 start even if they don't know what one looks likedevil

Can be done good enough on a manual mill without gearing the table but very time consuming .

Thread: Alibre Atom 3D pdf manual free to MEW readers
24/05/2019 13:16:56

Have you got a link James, I've not seen one selling for £11.50

There is the readily available Atom 3D Exercise Manual but that is free

Thread: Fire bricks
23/05/2019 15:41:38

CuP are a good supplier to use and will happily answer any specific queries, also have a read of their "Best Brazing practice" along the top of the black bar on their website.

23/05/2019 13:29:55

Has the look of a double start to me.

Grind up a tool like a parting tool but with clearance so it does not rub on the helix of the thread. First thread I ever screwcut was a 1/4" x 16 sq

Thread: suffolk dredging tractor
23/05/2019 13:26:37

3672 sounds promising as it was a year or so after the series, think I have it but will have to look later.

You may get quite a few tests done for the additional cost of copper and silver solder over steel!

23/05/2019 07:46:01

I think any non combustable material will work, just that some work better than others and may mean you need to use less gas and are able to get the work upto temperature faster which is a good thing.

Beware searching the net for generic Vermiculite or Skamolex as there are many versions available some being denser than other so may not do as good a job as the lower density blocks, also watch the sizes for example you can find blocks for a fiver on the bay but they are a third the size of the ones I linked to that sell for about £12

Yes they are a bit more fragile and the surface can get pulled off when flux sticks to it but I'm still using the ones I bought 10 odd years ago and I do a lot of silver soldered fabrications on my models. Maybe treat them a disposable cost saved in gas will more than likely pay for any replacements or simply raise the work just clear of the bottom sheet/block.

As mentioned in passing by bazyle make sure any hearth material is completely dry especially if stored outside. Once heated any internal moisture will turn to steam and could cause the surface to spall and the last think you want in the middle of that critical final heat is brick in your eye.

J

Thread: Source of Machined Nuts
22/05/2019 19:43:51

I was just looking at Little Samson models and noticed this link to Historic Threads they have some nice looking nuts fully machined from round stock as well as other goodies.

22/05/2019 18:59:19

Some of these are what you need, they will reflect heat back at the job

Thread: Minnie 1"
22/05/2019 18:21:23

The replacement for the higher melting point C4 solder would be something like 424. The replacement for the lower melting point "Easyflow" is 455. I would suggest you also yse HT5 flux which will last longer if it takes you a while to get the work upto temperature. Have a look at Cup Alloys for materials and also read their "best brazing practice"

Do not use "soft solder" on your boiler.

Not tried the loose vermiculite so don't know.

Edited By JasonB on 22/05/2019 18:21:59

Thread: HSS or CS taps and dies
22/05/2019 16:40:12

I tend to stick with the diameter less pitch for metric a sit was what I was first taught particularly if the hole is shallow, I may go a bit larger on some thing that does not need any strength such a a screw holding parts in place that are going to be silver soldered - easier to tap and less ware on the tool. As I tend to drill in the mill it is easy to also use that to guide the tap while turning it by hand

I've a mix of both CS and HSS, tend to get CS for odd sizes that I wont use much but the commonly used ones are generally HSS both hand taps (Dormer E500 series) and the ones that I tend to reach for most often now are Spiral flute (mostly YG-1 general Purpose Combi Taps). I do have a few spiral point but don't see the need for both Spiral point and spiral flute for non production work as the spiral flute will still eject the swarf from a through hole as well as a blind one. Few spiral flute and a hand tap being powered by the SX2.7 below, details of taps if you view direct in youtube. I'm using The Rock oils monkey juice that ARC sell in the video but also use CT-90.

J

PS I did a similar test to Andrew and got the opposite result - a stripped thread in the hole and was even using a cheap ungraded boltdevil

Edited By JasonB on 22/05/2019 16:40:26

Thread: stamford show vandals
22/05/2019 06:53:22

Seems to have drifted too far off the subject with no mention of the actual event for several posts so time to lock it.

Thread: Myford Super 7 - Cross Slide Problem
22/05/2019 06:50:30

Alex you may have your video set to private a sit will not view.

Thread: Painting
21/05/2019 19:36:00
Posted by Garry Coles on 21/05/2019 16:45:37:

Jason, quite surprised that the parts you mentioned are not glossy. Is a full gloss just for show case models.

Garry did you actually mean to say boiler or are you asking about the cleading sheets which most people tend to do gloss but a satin can look good too.

As said the lower hornplates, throatplate and backhead are usually matt black. BBQ or Stove paint.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
TRANSWAVE Converters
Sarik
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest