By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for JasonB

Here is a list of all the postings JasonB has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Boring bar with inserts shape choice??
12/11/2019 16:30:51

I have this one from Glanze that will fit without problem it will actually bore an 8mm finished size hole if needed, it uses a small form of the CCMT shape

Though you could make life easier and drill to 9mm, say 6mm first then open up to 9mm. This will allow you to use a common CCMT 0604** insert in combination with a 6mm shank tool such as this one. You can with care use this to bore starting with an 8mm hole but not for a first timer.

Both will work fine on through and blind holes, to help give clearance the tips are held at an angle to set the correct height you want to pack them so that the corner doing the cutting is on ctr height

Edited By JasonB on 12/11/2019 16:37:54

Thread: Boxford 280
12/11/2019 13:58:54

Got a feeling that the push/pull feed selector needs to be in the mid position eg so that neither facing or length ways feed can be selected, feed lever down then the other lever should engage the halfnuts while the screw is turning.

If feeds are working which you say they are then screw will be turning.

Edited By JasonB on 12/11/2019 13:59:44

Thread: Black anodised steel????
12/11/2019 13:43:40
Posted by Chris TickTock on 12/11/2019 13:31:21:

1. What bore should I make the adapter?

Forget about numbers, tolerences and trying to measure them, make the bore to fit the motor shaft, it should need light hand pressure to push it on and if right you will feel a cushioned piston effect due to trapped air in the hole. Picking up the motor shaft downwards and the adaptor should not fall off

2. Do I pilot drill to say 8mm then use a boring tool to achieve the final diameter?

Yes

3. Is mild steel adequate for this purpose?

Yes

4. Is using 2 grub screws to fix the adapter to the spindle adequate?

Unlike the ones on e-bay put the two screws at 90degrees to each other and file some flats on teh shaft for them to bear against

Chris

Thread: Boxford 280
12/11/2019 13:12:20

Should be able to engage it by using the horizontal lever to the right of the apron, not the one to engage feeds

Thread: Allchin Gears- thinking of using pre-cut chinese
11/11/2019 18:29:37

Bit pricey those, have a look at these, I've used them on a couple of engines.

There is not much difference between the 1.5MOD and 16DP, probably best to plot it out and see where you need to move things, PCDs are easy enough to look up or calculate. As it's a 3 shaft engine

Thread: How does someone gauge the power of a DC or AC motor?
11/11/2019 18:18:21

By the time you have modified the motor shaft to take a chuck or made an adaptor for the chuck as  well as an arbor for the disc to be held in teh chuck you may as well eliminate one or two sources of run out and simply modify the motor shaft so you can fit the disc direct to that or make an adaptor/arbor to fit the shaft and hold the disc on the other end

Edited By JasonB on 11/11/2019 18:19:26

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread 2019
11/11/2019 16:46:11

I don't think I have seen it on another model, the hit and miss engines tend to hold the exhaust valve open and others govern the throttle. I have done a couple of hit and miss engines that have a "battery saver" as part of the governor which also cuts the circuit so nothing gets to the spark plug when it is missing a beat but that is secondary to the exhaust being held open.

11/11/2019 16:14:41

It's part of the governor, the other end of the bracket that the ball fixes to carries one of the ignition contacts. So as the speed goes up the ball and therefore the contact get slung outwards and this stops the spark so the engine slows and so on.

Thread: What would you call this tool
11/11/2019 13:41:57

The yellow bit looks like it was originally from a T&CG and the motor has been cobbled onto the end, chuck on a 5C? or similar mount.

Thread: Suitable metal / enclosure for project
11/11/2019 13:38:55

Once you get down to the 2000g one that is getting into lapping but not as fine a stropping.

Thread: Anybody made the Les Chenery Gypsy engine
11/11/2019 10:29:30

Does seem short doing the maths.

Have you checked to see where they come in relation to the rocker arms as they would show if it is the valves being too short or the top of the guides too long.

You could ask over on MEM and hope Mike Cole sees the thread.

Thread: Suitable metal / enclosure for project
11/11/2019 10:17:20

If you are using electronic speed control to get the motor down to 400rpm then don't expect it to develope amy where near full power at those sort of speeds, you will only get full wattage at full revs. So that 200w motor may only be 20w at 1/10th its fastest speed.

Running your motor slowly will mean any mechanical fan is less effective

Length of the bend will affect what you can form as much as thickness, easy to bend 10mm wide strip of 1mm steel but needs a lot more effort to bend a 200mm length of the same thickness.

Thread: Yet another 'which mill shall I buy'
11/11/2019 08:39:38
Posted by Iain Downs on 11/11/2019 07:05:51:

Related to that - the specs show a table size of 660mm but a lateral movement of only 370 which is on the lower side of the mills I'm looking at. what does it do with the other 290mm?

290mm sounds a large number but when compared to say a SX3.5 with 240mm loss it's only 50mm difference. I'd say a good proportion of that is to do with the width of the female dovetail that the table slides in and the rest how close the end plates can get without hitting anything.

The mass/bulk issue is an interesting one, it certainly helped when HSS tooling ruled and you would be taking slow heavy cuts but now with the abundance of carbide you can remove the same amount of metal in the same time with shallower cuts or smaller diameter tools but using more passes as their higher cutting speeds mean you can feed so much faster and these smaller metal removal rates per pass don't need such a rigid machine.

For example in the past you may have used a flycutter to surface a piece of say 3" wide metal and speed may have been restricted by it being out of balance, feed would be limited due to one cutting edge and an HSS tool. Now you can use a 80mm shell mill with six carbide inserts. This can be fed six times as fast due to the number of cutting edges and multiply that two or 3 fold due to carbides cutting speed. So 12 times as much metal removed in the same time or lighten the amount removed per pass to say 1/3rd and you can still remove 4 times as much metal in the same time.

11/11/2019 06:59:22

No that's another one of his engine designs, a Type B

Thread: Muncaster's Simple Entablature Engine
10/11/2019 20:24:12

Don't all rush but Lee has the Muncaster flywheel castings back in stock here get them while there hot!

Edited By JasonB on 10/11/2019 20:25:58

Thread: S50 valve chest cover is chilled
10/11/2019 18:58:00

As has been said heat will work but you need it red hot for a while and then a slow cool down.

Carbide would more than likely cope with machining to thickness and the sides, if you are lucky the stud holes will clear the hard areas so HSS drill OK.

10/11/2019 17:37:23

Made a start of the flywheel that goes with the conrod I posted yesterday

Thread: Indoor R/C Flight & a whole lot more
10/11/2019 13:22:32

Some outdoor flying

Drift cars, diggers, trials, etc
10/11/2019 07:50:45

I think the "jet" was actually using a ducted fans.

With the latest brushless motors and batteries you can probably make just about anything fly provided you can keep the weight down. A lot of those aircraft look like they were 3D printed rather than the more traditional construction methods which allows a very thin skin and minimal materials to form the core. So with a good power to weight ration they don't need a lot of airspeed to create vast amounts of lift.

10/11/2019 07:09:35

Now I've started to get more videos from the show come up. This is more like what MEX used to be where all the different branches of modelling were catered for at one big exhibition

One for the live steamers and model railway fans. That loco is pulling a LOT of people.

One with RC cars, heavy plant, Drone racing, outdoor flying including some big gliders if you are looking Andrew.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Meridienne; London MES
TRANSWAVE Converters
cowbells
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest