By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for JasonB

Here is a list of all the postings JasonB has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Which Milling machine and what is its footprint?
12/07/2020 10:09:03

The SX2.7 standard length table is actully 45mm longer than my next machine up X3 and that coped easily with a large 2" traction engine.

SX2.7 looks like it was made to fit a 500mm benchsmiley

20200712_100354[1].jpg

Thread: Selling on behalf of executors in 1975
12/07/2020 07:27:38

I would also think that a lot of model engineers had little need of bigger industrial machines as the average models were also smaller, certainly a 4" and definately a 6" traction engine was a very rare item back in 1975. Now 4" is very common as well as the smaller prototypes in 6".

Most stationary engine designs are still based around a 9" max flywheel diameter which was a comfy fit in a Myford gap and still is. Loco wheels don't need a big capacity machine and cylinders van be done on the cross slide.

Thread: Glow plug driver
12/07/2020 07:19:43

Does not need a fancy circuit, just connect all the electrodes together and to your supplies +ve and take the negative to the head or crankcase.

Take a look at Dean's V12, just a brass bar connecting all the plug electrodes on each bank.

Thread: Selling on behalf of executors in 1975
11/07/2020 19:42:46

With a Mill, shaper and bandsaw he was a lot better equipped than most who were still using a vertical slide for milling and a hacksaw for cutting

Thread: Myford chuck not gripping
11/07/2020 16:56:43

Scroll could be worn/deformed and it is only true at one position per full rotation, probably previous owners giving to too much wellie.

Mine is a Bison 3274 picked up at a good price but about the same as a Pratt

11/07/2020 16:15:27

I'd have thought you would have ended up with better being the jaws were trued in place.

As for par for the course I'll stick with my less than 1/2thou out of the box 3-jaw and Old Mart can keep his wonky onesdevil

Thread: Another Engine Build
11/07/2020 10:01:21

That will work OK, I've done several larger engines with them in CI

Thread: Myford chuck not gripping
10/07/2020 20:04:17

You need to find a way to put tightening load onto the jaws when you grind them, there are various jigs or a simple washer at the back of the jaws can be used, a search of the forum will throw up a few results

10/07/2020 19:24:20

When you say it moves doe it get pushed back into the chuck or spin? If it spins where do the jaws leave a mark. If the mark is deeper towards the back of the jaws they are probably worn and bellmouthed

Thread: 4MM Carbide end mill marks
10/07/2020 18:19:55

Look like they are at about 4degree spacing so could be related to cranking the handwheel, is there much play in your rotary table?

Thread: elliot omnimill convert to cnc?
10/07/2020 16:20:02

No, something to counter the weight of the table. A lot of the mills with moving heads have a gas strut or spring so the motor does not have to lift all the weight. Your table is quite likely to be heavier than a typical mill head so need more counterbalance.

Thread: Leadscrew suppliers
10/07/2020 08:06:57
Posted by Mike Woods 1 on 08/07/2020 09:27:06:

I wonder if any of the Warco, Chester, Sieg, Amadeal or Axminster lathes or milling machines use this T16 x 3mm format.

TR16 x 2 on some of the Sieg mills, what length of thread do you need?

Thread: Muncaster's Simple Entablature Engine
10/07/2020 07:59:35

You could do it that way Ron or just rough it out freehand and then blend with a file against the rotating work.

Thread: Back issues & Flash plugin
10/07/2020 07:25:01

I expect Neil's reply from a couple of months ago still stands.

Posted by Neil Wyatt on 20/04/2020 20:40:04:

The problem is the archives are not a significant source of income, at present they are added value for what is still a relatively modest number of people who prefer a digital subscription. Partly this is because pirate digital copies of archive issues have effectively removed the potential value of a rejuvenated archive.

At one point we were close to an official DVD of the archive, but the sums didn't add up.

Because there's always the potential for the archive to become unworkable, the T&Cs say that continued access to is not guaranteed and I fear that if the choice was between investing in converting it to HTML5 of phasing it out, the business case would almost certainly be in favour of the latter.

Fortunately I am sure there will continue to be ways to run flash (although only 5% of websites use it now, down from 28% in 2011) for the forseeable future, but I'm afraid the onus will be on readers to seek these ways out.

So my advice is grit your teeth and find flash player/browser combination that works for you; I know it isn't ideal but it is doable.

What we can do is create a page with links to reliable flash players/browsers for viewing the archive on different platforms.

We have some suggestions already. If folks would like to post more links to what they recommend/use here, I'll create a page when there are enough suggestions for it to be worth doing.

Neil

Thread: Something for my Economy Engine to drive
09/07/2020 19:41:43

The guys that used to do the scale pump casting sets such as Joe Tochtrop no longer do so.

Have a read through of this thread on MEM, Toby may let you have a set of his drawings. You will need to register to see the images as most are posted as attachments.

It would also sit nicely on a drag saw but that is going to be big due to the scale of your engine

Thread: elliot omnimill convert to cnc?
09/07/2020 18:49:50

Depends what the bearings can take and also what condition they are in. Also what type of things are you thinking of machining? non ferrous materials ideally want a higher spindle speed that steel/iron and fine detailed small parts will need smaller diameter cutters which again work best at a decent speed. I would say 5000min and 7500 if you can get it even then you won't be upto optimum speed for small non ferrous work.

Would almost be easier to fit a high speed spindle on the end of the tubular arm and junk the head, motor and belts.

09/07/2020 18:16:42

Would be worth trying to up the spindle speed if you do it otherwise it could take a long time to run any code

Thread: Ultrasonic Cleaner
09/07/2020 17:35:36

If you have not been able to find them via Machine DRO then Allendale Ultrasonics do several fluids

Thread: Wheel out of true
09/07/2020 16:10:23

For an accurate fit I always prefer to bore as you can size the hole to whatever needs to fit with a loctite joint having a smaller hole than say one in a bearing.

Drilling then reaming particularly into a casting is also prone to problems as any hard spots, voids, etc in the casting will cause the drill to wander and then the reamer will just follow the path of the drilled hole.

You could possibly bore out the wheel and loctite in a piece of bar and then bore that out to fit your existing axle.

Thread: Leadscrew suppliers
09/07/2020 07:40:30

Indeed, 10tpi will be 0.100" lead which allows for the handwheel to have a handy 100 divisions.

Personally I would avoid half mm pitches or uneven ones and go for 2 or 4mm pitch as it makes it easier to count the number of turns. 2mm should do on a small benchtop machine and allows a handwheel to have quite small divisions and is a lot closer to your existing 2.54mm pitch than 4mm. Not such an issue if fitting a DRO.

4mm pitch would also need a bit more effort to turn, lack feel and be a bit harder to set to an exact position as you will have less rotation for a given amount of movement.

Edited By JasonB on 09/07/2020 07:49:08

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest