By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for JasonB

Here is a list of all the postings JasonB has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Steam Engine Number One
20/05/2019 12:53:58

Off out but a few quick comments, building blocks are not Ideal as they don't reflect any heat, better than denser materials but better used as a backup with vermiculite or Scamolux blocks for the main heating area.

Burner looks too close to the work so you are not using the hottest part of the flame.

Flux looks a bit watery and as I said earlier if it is EF flux may be getting exhausted before temp is reached due to points above.

Thread: Thread Pitch Info.
19/05/2019 16:50:44

The other easy way to find the size is to look up another 8tpi UN thread and simply add or subtract the difference in major diameters.

1" x 8tpi UNC is a standard size and has a basic minor diameter for internal threads of 0.8647 on many charts found by Google.

difference between a 1" thread and a 1.5" thread is 0.5"

Simply add 0.8647" and 0.5" and you get 1.3647" that is confirmed by jeff's sizes simples.

Edited By JasonB on 19/05/2019 16:54:11

19/05/2019 16:19:10

Dave, diameters don't really determine how tight the thread is, just the engagement. It is the fit of the flanks that determines tightness hence the use of thread wires to accurately measure a thread as these contact the flanks not OD or ID.

Edited By JasonB on 19/05/2019 16:19:53

19/05/2019 15:59:27

Do you have anything else that fits the same spindle nose? If so just measure the hole in that.

Thread: ME Vertical Boiler
17/05/2019 13:13:16

Have you got a Toolstation near you or a traditional plumbers merchants, both should have it or another similar make like Fernox or Laco which your local Screwfix should have

17/05/2019 07:45:38

Well found Michael, if Iain's one is anything like the link then the pointer is at the bottom of the label so pointing to 0 or 1 which would be a bit low!

Thread: Drilling cast iron - where did I go wrong?
17/05/2019 07:15:37
Posted by John Haine on 16/05/2019 21:51:08:

I repeat - why do they make larger drills split point if they expect you to drill a pilot hole? I think there is model engineering dogma here.

Because the drill maker does not know if you have a small light machine that may not be able to drive the drill through without a pilot.

And before the "why buy a split point" it may well be that the user has a lathe that is capable of driving the drill but a mill/drill press that can't or it was part of a set and the dogma is ME's don't like spending on a drill bit if they already have one that size.

Thread: Which thread for T nuts
17/05/2019 07:05:45
Posted by Nigel Graham 2 on 16/05/2019 22:30:17:

The commercially-available clamping sets sold by various model-engineering suppliers seem to be 3/8" BSW rather than M10, but anyway their nut threads are staked to prevent the studs passing through them.

In my experience most sell both metric and imperial, the M10 sets will fit newer machines with 12mm slots and they sell the 3/8" ones for people using old iron with matching nuts for 1/2" slots. Other suppliers just sell metric sets.

The metric will fit both size slots with slightly less bearing surface but you won't get a 1/2" nut into a 12mm slot.

17/05/2019 06:59:41

Did you get one of their starter packs? if so it was more than likely their "EF" pack", you would have done better with the HT pack or some HT-1 flux as this will be better for any jobs that take longer to heat.

Looks like a high pressure regulator so should have been giving a reasonable amount of heat at the mid setting, try it on the max to see if your torch burns more, it may not as the jet in the torch will be the limiting factor.

Thread: Parting off query
16/05/2019 19:29:14

If it is an HSS blade then make sure it is ground dead square across the end. If insert then use a neutral one which will be square across the end.

In both cases make sure the tool is at perfect right angles to the lathe axis.

I'm sure someone will be along to tell you to use a rear tool post toodevil

16/05/2019 17:17:23

Should not be a problem with that torch/burner combination.

What flux did you use?

What regulator have you got on the bottle and what have you set it at?

Edited By JasonB on 16/05/2019 17:21:56

Thread: Drilling cast iron - where did I go wrong?
16/05/2019 06:58:01

At 1100rpm the 10.5 will jump about as it had no real guide, drop to about 300rpm

Thread: Bonus content ?
15/05/2019 19:35:07
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 15/05/2019 18:25:52:

I usually try to quote the name of a thread so it comes up with a keyword search, but the search is very fussy and only finds exact phrases.

Neil

That's how I got the link by searching for "stress relieving mild steel" yes

Thread: Door knob collar
15/05/2019 19:30:54

Just grind up a form tool, back can be left flat.

Thread: radius on end of bar
15/05/2019 18:03:19

Best thing is to locate the end of the work below the spindle and then move away by the radius eg 37.5mm. Fit the flycutter and adjust the cutter so that it just kisses the edge of the work as you rotate by hand which will get it swinging the correct radius which then does not get altered.

Once that is set use a series of downward cuts moving the work towards the spindle say 0.5mm to 1.0mm at a time. I tend to use the quill lever for the initial roughing passes but the last one or two are best done with fine feed

15/05/2019 15:50:07

I'd do all the turning then drill the two small holes. You can then poke a couple of pegs or drill bit shanks into the holes and use those to line things up when clamping the work.

Cut the radius with a boring head, at that radius you probably want the tool sticking out the side hole of a typical 2" boring head rather than the end. A flycutter could be pressed into service if you don't have a boring head.

Another option is to mount the work on the lathe cross slide and use a between centers boring bar to do the curved cut

Thread: Work Holding For CNC Milling
15/05/2019 14:33:54
Posted by Roderick Jenkins on 15/05/2019 14:27:49:
Posted by John Pace on 14/05/2019 20:12:07:

I use these simple fixtures for these sort of jobs seen in an article
in Mew January 2015 " Cnc fixings" .

Yikes! - that's the one with me on the front cover blush

You will have to take it out of the frame now so you can read the other articlesmile p

Thread: Bonus content ?
15/05/2019 14:10:13

I think those three items refer to discussions on the forum, see this one. neil has been doing it like that for quite a few issues

Edited By JasonB on 15/05/2019 14:13:02

Thread: Replacing spoked balanced wheels with plain discs
15/05/2019 09:11:44

You would need to add additional balance weights or mill away part of the disc on the opposite side to maintain the balance.

Thread: Technique for turning 3mm diameter valve spindle
15/05/2019 06:58:27

Small BS-0 ctr drilled hole in the end and use your tailstock ctr to support the work, can be made over length and the bit with the hole in turned off if you don't want the hole to remain. Do all my IC engine valves this way which is the same sort of process.

Edited By JasonB on 15/05/2019 07:44:08

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Allendale May 19
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
Sarik
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest