By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for JasonB

Here is a list of all the postings JasonB has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Muncaster's Simple Entablature Engine
21/09/2019 20:13:46

Additional content to go with part 5

Initial turning and threading of the cross head before transferring to the mill

dsc01274.jpg

Another shot of the crosshead being reamed for the pin

dsc01276.jpg

Asembled crosshead, conrod and big end bearings

dsc01327.jpg

Thread: Work holding?
21/09/2019 19:20:55

Can you not simply clock a 20mm slice true in the 4-jaw then face one end and bore after which flip it over and face the otherside back to 18mm long. Will keep OD at it's max and be as true as the effort you put into getting it right in the 4-jaw.

If you have soft jaws for your 3-jaw chuck that would be the other option as you would only need 1mm length to grip so could skin the OD at same setting as boring and facing. This would be totally concentric with a slight loss of OD

Edited By JasonB on 21/09/2019 19:23:01

Thread: WIDE AWAKE
21/09/2019 10:22:05

Some of Ramon's build was edited and put in the mag but it is taken from his build thread. About Autum 2017 for the ME articles

21/09/2019 10:04:54

Dougie, are you referring to the Wide A Wake launch? if so that was in Model Boats Mag from Feb 72. Sarik may have plans.

Good build thead by Ramon here

Thread: Complete newbie question - RC car from scratch
21/09/2019 07:51:26

A lot will depend on what your son wants out of the car and how much he can put into it. A very simple flat or pan chassis with solid rear axle and primative front suspension will be relatively easy to make with minimal tools, there are budget race classes for cars like this such as the Mardave cars.

At the other end of the scale you can have fully adjustable suspension, diffs, gearboxes 4WD etc which will require more work and equipment and possibly buying in more parts. Some people do get a bit carried away and also make the engines too such as this V10 powered car which is right at the opposite end of the scale compared to a Mardave

Thread: How to CAD Model a Welin Interrupted Screw?
21/09/2019 06:55:58

I noticed the taper in Michael's link too.

Thread: Part built Allchin 1.5 inch
20/09/2019 20:10:20

I'd be looking at the valve if it is going right through the engine and out the blast pipe.

One problem with a foot pump is that it won't give much initial pressure that is needed to hold the regulator puck and valve against the port faces, if you have a small compressor that would be better.

20/09/2019 19:18:59

I had the Rough Rider when I was about 14, that is where it really started as they were the first ones people started to race. The XR311 and the Lambo were a year or so before that.

Thread: Electric Traction Engine
20/09/2019 18:11:39

I think it is pro rata so you won't be paying for 3 inches. That may not apply for less than 1" of something though as they would not cover their time cutting it.

20/09/2019 16:16:23

Andrew, I was just about to suggest that as Dave has now been able to draw it that his homework for the weekend should be to make itdevil

Yes a run out groove for the tooling seems logical

breech3.jpg

Edited By JasonB on 20/09/2019 16:19:11

20/09/2019 15:43:19

Mine come out spiral as they are done as a helical extrusion so pitch can be setbreech.jpg

Shows up more if I double the pitch

breech2.jpg

Edited By JasonB on 20/09/2019 15:46:05

20/09/2019 15:14:04

Not sure about the Maruder being possible with basic tools but their stock cars are a lot more basic in construction being solid rear axle and rudamentry front springs.

Still got my Maruder in a cupboard, twin wishbone front and single wishbone independent rear suspension would tale a bit more tooling.

19/09/2019 20:59:18

I'd probabaly helical sweep each piece of thread 30deg and then do a circular pattern of the sweep to get the 4 parts, then do the same for the next dia

That can wait until tomorrow.

Thread: sink fitting help
19/09/2019 20:19:56

Pipework is now all 40mm or 32mm and if threaded then that is 1.5" BSP or 1.25" BSP or G thread as they call it in Europe, don't get any 1.5" waste.

19/09/2019 19:48:48

Did you not get a bag with some other bits in?, these wastes usually come with their own trap and a few bits for connecting things like dishwashers, The first bit goes into that compression socket. Used to get them on Ikea sinks and franke do similar. Personally I tend to bin them and use one with a standard 1.5" male thread which will take the usual loose nut on a P or S trap. Our waste pipe is too loose in that compression nut.

The two large 1/2" BSP nuts will fit onto a 1/2" x 15mm fitting. Don't be tempted to screw it onto a compression fitting as the 1/2" end has a flat edge to the thread for the washer to seal against not the sharp edge due to the taper for an olive

The other end with the O ring screws into the bottom of the mixer

Edited By JasonB on 19/09/2019 19:49:22

Thread: M8x1 left hand tap.
19/09/2019 18:55:22

Good to see my suggestion of Rotagrip worked out, is it a brand name one or just one of their imported ones which I have found fine for threads you are not going to use much, I've a few fine pitch metric ones for them that crop up on gas fittings.

Definately something wrong with that RDG one.

Thread: 2" Durham and North Yorkshire Gears
19/09/2019 16:57:38

A lower pressure angle gives a more parallel looking tooth that becomes more triangular as the angle increases

The lower 14.5pa is especially useful on models that have a sprung rear axle as the gap between the teeth (backlash) does not change as much as the two gears move in and out of mesh.

I'll wait to see if Andrew comes back to explain the undercut, if not I'll do so later. I think he has some photos of gears he has cut that illustrate it well.

Edited By JasonB on 19/09/2019 16:58:43

Thread: Anyone recognise 4-6-0 chassis - which locomotive
19/09/2019 15:12:56

Have a read how to post photos

Thread: Water Lifter Hose
19/09/2019 15:04:16

Quite a few makers get a small rubber hose and then wind thing galvanized wire around it. You can leave as that or add a layer of self amalgamating tape. MJ Engineering do some suitable black rubber hose for just that job

Heritage steam sell scale water lifter hose but only for the large scale engines

19/09/2019 14:44:02

Further two what Jeff said about the bodyshell you are probably now more likely to find a vac former in the DT department of a British school than a lathe so that may be a possibility.

There are also plenty of 3D cad files of suitable Nissans that can be downloaded, these could be used to 3D print the buck or former or some slicing software used to make a series of profiles along the length of the car to guide you while using more traditional methods.

The school my well also have a small CNC router that could be put to good use making components from fibreglass or carbon fibre sheet.

It's been a few years since as a teen I built a complete rear end for a 1/8th scale IC buggy with adjustable camber, wheelbase, anti roll bar etc. All done in the loft with a Unimat lathe

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Advertise With Us
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Meridienne oct 2019
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
TRANSWAVE Converters
Ausee.com.au
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest