By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for JasonB

Here is a list of all the postings JasonB has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: when is a precision vice not a precision vice>?
18/08/2018 20:19:52

I'm afraid I can't offer you any advice Ian as although the milling vice I purchased 11yrs ago falls within your size requirements it only currently retails at about 50% of the minimum you want to spend so anything I suggest would be pure speculation based on what I can see on the net.

The vice I do have has been perfectly adequate for my needs and many engines have been made with itwink 2

Thread: Casting Thicknesses
18/08/2018 13:59:22

Look forward to seeing the actual item.

In the mean time I have just dusted these off which I think are similar to what you describe, they are the two parts that make up the winding drum for a 2" Superba Ploughing engine and are about 12" dia. The webs are all cleanly cast with a very slight draft angle and I would say 5/32" thick on average.

dsc03040.jpg

The alternative would be to get them laser cut or mill them yourself from steel sheet and stick them together a bit like the one at the bottom of this page

Edited By JasonB on 18/08/2018 14:02:25

Thread: Phoenix
18/08/2018 10:11:17

I have inquired with one of the motor boys who does have castings for quite a lot of the old engines as well as being the custodian of many of Westbury's own engines but it is not one he has castings for.

Thread: Aluminium thread strength
18/08/2018 07:11:58

One thing you won'tl get with a welded joint that you will with a screwed one is slipping of the two parts, Most trussed structured get their strength from the fact the two members can't "slip" against each other when the bending load is applied. So any excess clearance in your bolt holes will allow movement.

May need some fitted dowels to stop any movement in the plate/50mm pole joint and the same will apply to your 30mm bracing tubes as any movement in the joints will allow your tower to flex..

Edited By JasonB on 18/08/2018 07:47:53

Edited By JasonB on 18/08/2018 07:48:45

Thread: What did you do Today 2018
17/08/2018 20:47:00

Came back from the Bristol show only to find these had made their way into my bootwink

Thread: Casting Thicknesses
17/08/2018 20:42:46

3/16" should be OK in iron, have you got a sketch of the actual part ?

Thread: Diesel fuel
16/08/2018 18:55:10

But you can't buy it online from them - shop only purchase which seems to be the same with other dealers.

Edited By JasonB on 16/08/2018 18:56:55

Thread: vapour carburetor
16/08/2018 17:23:05

I've just plumbed an RC "klunk" tank the opposite way round when needed but a nice little jam jar does look mor ethe part for display.

Have a look at this for how to add a photo of your engine

Thread: Diesel fuel
16/08/2018 16:06:22

If you have a local Model Technics stockist they should be able to add it to their next order if they don't actually keep it.

Thread: Help to select and lay concrete reinforcing mesh
16/08/2018 06:59:42

Turn it over the top of the sleeper and tack it down. If you are not building the walls off the sleeper then trim it off once concrete set. If you are building off the sleeper then leave in place and put DPC on top.

If you try to cut it flush before concreting it will more than likely move down with weight of concrete.

Where do the walls actually come as may affect where you turn it up.

Edited By JasonB on 16/08/2018 07:01:12

Thread: Facing Error
15/08/2018 19:18:26

Dave, are you having a job getting any closer to the headstock? Looks like you have the topslide fully extended to the left and quite a lot of tool overhang. If the problem is partly down to movement in the ways then getting the overhang as small as possible will help.

15/08/2018 18:37:40

As I suggested it I did notice the results, I'd rather look at the figures 0.23 down to 0.08 which is somewhat better than half as Dave said in subsequent posts. Still about another 30% to chase down though.

Might also be worth checking the faceplate with a straight edge and feeler gauges and if that is good mount it up and run the DTI along that with the base mounted on the cross slide. I'm assuming Dave has not skimmed his.

15/08/2018 16:12:43

Oh in that case I may be in with a chance as after 4 pages my suggestion is the only one that has seen an improvement and as that was 65% anything else won't stand a chancedevil

Thread: The Workshop Progress thread 2018
15/08/2018 12:15:02

Those look like skamolex blocks and sheet to me, very good insulator and tends to throw the heat back at the work.

Thread: Aluminium thread strength
15/08/2018 08:32:36

I think I would be worried about the lack of parent metal left if putting an M6 insert into 8mm thick material. A Helicoil would be about 7.3mm OD and other inserts even more, that leaves only 0.35mm or less of metal either side of the thread.

Thread: Myford Super 7 metric change gears
15/08/2018 07:32:44

HPC gears are 20pa not the 14.5pa used on Myfords. 

Surprising what comes up when you put 47T Myford gear into Google. Home and Workshop also usually have a good selection of "odd" Myford gears"

Edited By JasonB on 15/08/2018 07:38:19

Thread: vapour carburetor
14/08/2018 20:48:15

I've run a couple of my engines on quickly knocked up vapour carbs when I was having flooding problems did not even think of blowback. Seen plenty of other engines running with them and all seem OK. The propane ones are more likely to singe your eyebrows!

Thread: Which is better?
14/08/2018 20:44:13

Baz, I think Diane and Martin are already there, couple of engine build articles I can think of that were previously in Maschinen im Modellbau which is a German ME mag, shame I had already seen them but the english text was useful.

Thread: New (old!) member here..
14/08/2018 18:10:26

Mark, Put it here in the wanted classifieds not the help and assistance thread.

Thread: Which is better?
14/08/2018 17:46:48

Going by the cover of 271 I though Neil had already started on the repeatssmile p

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
Expo Tools July 14
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Sarik
ChesterUK
Warco
Shapiro
TRANSWAVE Converters
SPG Tools October Seventeen
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Visit the Model Engineer
Exhibition website

Model Engineer Exhibition