By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for JasonB

Here is a list of all the postings JasonB has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Throw away slot drill
29/09/2020 11:25:58

The fact that they cost less than a fiver makes it uneconomical for industry to sharpen them so more cost effective to replace hence the FC-3 type are known as throw away. I sharpened some on the ARC EMG-12 when I had it for test.

Thread: Cheap Milling Vice Question
29/09/2020 10:46:45

Just to add to Mike's comment, this particular link was a bit borderline so that is why I went to the trouble of posting the image so at least the thread could continue.

Thread: Arc eurotrade missing from front page ?
29/09/2020 10:45:11

Ketan gives details here

29/09/2020 10:10:35
Posted by Watford on 29/09/2020 09:58:07:

I wonder if they will be restocking model engineer's BA and Imperial requisites once again?

I don't recall them ever doing BA or ME and they have always tended to be more Metrically orientated.

Thread: Stuart 10V Build Log - Complete Beginner...
29/09/2020 10:04:55

This is one of the few occasions when I would suggest drilling the cleading first and then spotting through the hole positions onto the cylinder or simply clamp the cleading around the cylinder and drill tapping size right though both before tapping the casting and opening up the other holes.

Thread: ER 32 Collet Tightening Torque.
28/09/2020 18:56:04

Comes down by about 1/3rd for a bearing nut, Rego Fix give 100 plain nut and 65 bearing nut for the same dia bit in an ER32

28/09/2020 18:28:55

As most of us don't take cuts that are anything like as heavy as industrial users do there is less need for us to use long handled torque wrenches and hefty bench mounted fixtures to hold the chucks in while tightening. Though there will be a lot of variation between what individuals can apply given the same pair of spanners which may be why some on here say ER collets let tools slip while others including myself have never had a problem..

Michael, have you tried Nominal size only ER Collets rather than collapsible oneswink

Edited By JasonB on 28/09/2020 18:29:24

Thread: 3/16 Cast Iron Rod
28/09/2020 17:27:41

I would not have thought a SG Iron rod would break like a grey iron one.

The experiment should work with say 25mm long rod which would not be hard to turn from some sliced up larger good quality grade 260 bar

Thread: Next Project
28/09/2020 17:22:49

I did not have any quality problems with the castings for my Fowler from MJ but it is quite a bit bigger. This is mine with the showman's version of the GMT behind

28/09/2020 16:54:15

I think that is about it as far as reliable supply of castings go, next up would be the 2" Gold Medal Burrell Tractor at 28" long. The Ruston Proctor SD Light comes out about 24" but supply may be problematic.

Thread: Ways to use your calipers
28/09/2020 12:19:51

Also make good tweezers for pulling out metal splinterssurprise

Thread: 3/16 Cast Iron Rod
28/09/2020 11:49:18

I've never seen 3/16" sash weights and not seen CI bar sold in smaller than 25mm

28/09/2020 11:47:23

For those that would want to hammer their handles the same style of vice that Blue Healer is looking at can be had with all the spheroids needed for an extra £20 or so for an SG Iron bodied version. Maybe it's the 90% of buyers who don't want to pay the extra who complain when they bust the bargain basement the vice.

But hopefully the lighter nature of these mills means they use far smaller cutters so should not need the vice hammering closed unlike a big horizontal with a slab cutter would.

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread 2020
28/09/2020 10:55:13

That turned out very nicely and runs well too.

Thread: Milling cutter advise
27/09/2020 15:52:29

With a reasonable quality facemill the inserts will not be a problem to fit, just screw em in. very cheap ones can have loose fitting pockets.

Provided you are cutting around the right speed size won't make much difference and unless you have a means to sharpen then its more economic t wear and replace a 6mm one than a 12mm one

Thread: Myford set up.Time to get it right.
27/09/2020 08:06:56

Probably best to check the whole lathe over for ware as if the bearings have gone that far things like bed and tailstock may also need work which could end up costing a lot more than lathe would be worth financially.

27/09/2020 07:25:09

The basic design is fine but with the swivel base may swamp a minimill though they are not needed very often.

The real question is what factory did it come out of and what's the quality like. If a decent source then they work fine, I use a similar looking 80mm one on my CNC but there are also some that are not made so well depending on source. It's only a few dollars less than the ones from mainland companies like Ausee so is it worth taking the risk on quality.

Thread: Horizontal hit and miss engine
27/09/2020 07:07:38

Now that is a good runner and looker too, usually I'm not keen on the barstock and cap screw look but you have executed it very nicely particularly with those recessed heads..

I also like the easy way that the lever over rides the governor latch while the engine is running.

Thread: Warco Rotary Table - Can anybody give feedback please?
27/09/2020 06:55:49

Nick was asking in 2016, hopefully he has bought something by now.

Thread: Myford set up.Time to get it right.
26/09/2020 20:19:53

It is most likely bearings but a badly bell mouthed chuck could also be allowing some movement of the bar that is why it is best to remove the check from the equation at this stage and put the bar into the spindle's socket

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Warco
EngineDIY
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest