By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Russell Eberhardt

Here is a list of all the postings Russell Eberhardt has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: New website editor
16/02/2012 09:23:02
Posted by John McNamara on 16/02/2012 00:25:29:

Not being able to cut and paste from Word is a serious issue. Like it or not the word processor of choice for the vast majority of the world.

Cutting and pasting works just fine here from and to LibreOffice Writer so perhaps it is yet another case of Microsoft not complying with international standards.

Russell.
Thread: Opening DE MEW187 in Firefox
16/02/2012 09:14:52
I'm also using Linux (PCLinuxOS 2012 KDE) and Firefox 10.0.1 and there is no problem here. If you have Firefox 10.0 perhaps you should upgrade to v. 10.0.1?

Russell.
Thread: wanted easy usable free td software please
16/02/2012 09:05:06
If you're used to Autocad try DraftSight. It has the look and feel of Autocad a few versions back. I used Autocad from v. 1.4 onwards and find Draftsight a good free replacement.

Russell (no connection just a satisfied user)

Thread: 3 - Jaw chuck on Clarke 300 lathe / cutting speeds for brass / steel.
16/02/2012 09:00:23
Agreed, the published tables are mostly for industrial use where the machines and tools are more rigid and speed of production and tool life have to be weighed off against each other. For hobby use with less rigid machines the requirements are different. The tables can, however, be used as a starting point.

Russell.
Thread: Brazing copper
14/02/2012 20:50:42
Posted by DAVID POWELL 4 on 14/02/2012 08:19:13: But there again isn’t brazing a French word and translated means soldering. So silver soldering and silver brazing means the same thing?

Not quite:

French "Brasage" = Brazing.

What is confusing over here in France is that "Soudage" can mean either soldering or welding. Best not to confuse those.

Russell.
Thread: 3 - Jaw chuck on Clarke 300 lathe / cutting speeds for brass / steel.
13/02/2012 20:00:25
Best cutting speeds depend on many factors. There are tables of recommended cutting speeds in M/min or ft/min but these are just a rough guide. If a certain speed works for you for a given job stick to it.

Your speed of 2000 rpm for brass would be fine for up to about 3/8 diameter. You will probably need to reduce the speed proportionally for larger diameters.

Russell.
Thread: wanted easy usable free td software please
13/02/2012 14:15:17
All worthwhile CAD software takes a bit of work to learn.

Try this: DraftSight. It is a free 2D package but will do isometrics and 3D wireframe and is compatible with the industry standard Autocad.

Russell.
Thread: What cutting tools for mini - lathe (HSS or Carbide Tipped ?)
13/02/2012 14:08:13
Hi Chris,

As Colin said HSS is the best allround material. A well ground tool will require less power than a carbide tipped tool and give a better finish.

Yes you can grind your own, in fact I would recommend it as you will learn more that way. There is a guide showing you how to do it here . You have to choose suitable angles for the materials you are cutting. A table showing the angles required for different materials can be found here.

Russell.
Thread: Fine Finish on Crankshaft
11/02/2012 21:28:49
As others have said, sharp tools are essential for a fine finish. It is also important to ensure that there is no vibration anywhere. Put your hand on the headstock while the lathe is running. Do you feel any vibration? If so it will be transfered to the work. It is also important to make sure that the tool and slides are rigid with no play. Lock any slides that are not beig used and make sure the tool is rigid enough.

Russell.
Thread: Wheel cutting depth of feed
11/02/2012 21:02:46
Found this useful site: Designing Cycloidal Gears . It gives all the equations based on the recommendations in BS 978. The BS calls for a bottom clearance of 0.4M and thus the ratio of tooth height (cutting depth) to modulus will be constant.

Working through the equations I get:
Depth = 3.06 x M

This is close enough to the factor of 2.95 given for the smaller and larger sizes. I can only assume that the cutters sold for M 0.5 to M 1 have a non standard form, perhaps to give greater bottom clearance for some reason. I can't see why though.

Russell;
10/02/2012 19:06:39
Not really. I cn cut the wheels OK. I was just looking for a technical explanation of the tables.

Russell.
Thread: Metal work at schools
10/02/2012 11:14:10
Posted by David Clark 1 on 09/02/2012 15:27:28:
Hi Ady 1
I would disagree that they are going to be the safest.
Not having learnt the hard way, I doubt they have any safety sense.
regards David

Absolutely! If kids aren't exposed to any danger they never learn to spot it and avoid it. While I was at school I made fireworks and various explosives and had many electric shocks from my home projects. Wouldn't be allowed now.
Posted by jason udall on 09/02/2012 22:20:40:
new problem added...It has been stated that "Any firm taking on under 18s. Need to have all staff CRB checked and "Child Protection" trained...apprentiships or even employment for under 18's looks dead in the water.
When this idiocy was introduced I was teaching martial arts to children and adults as a volunteer for many years. I stopped teaching the children rather than pay for the checking and training. It's the children who suffer.

Russell.
10/02/2012 11:04:19
Posted by Stub Mandrel on 09/02/2012 21:34:54:
My ageing Machinery's Handbook gives the total depth (i.e. cutter feed) as 2.157xmoduls or 2.167xmodule depending on whether clearance is 0.157xmodule or module/6 (the former being the American standard).

Whatever the source both of your figures seem way to high as the addendum =module and dedendum =module+clearance i.e. feed depth is module x 2 + clearance.

What is your source for these figures?

Neil
I think your figures are for involute gears as opposed to the cycloidal gears used in clocks.

The figures come from here: clock-works and the Meadows and Passemore catalogue.

Russell.
Thread: Metal work at schools
09/02/2012 14:01:47
If he wants to be an engineer keep encouraging him in your workshop but also encourage him to learn as much maths and physics as possible.  Engineering isn't just about manual skills.

Oh, and take him to the Science Museum and other engineering rich visits.

Russell (retired chartered engineer)

Edited By russell eberhardt on 09/02/2012 14:02:50

09/02/2012 13:53:32
Can anyone explain why the depth of feed for modules 0 to 1.5 is given as 2.95 x M except for the range 0.5 to 1.0 where it is given as 3.38 x M?

This doesn't seem logical to me. I could understand a smaller module being different to a larger one but changing back again seems strange Or is there a misprint in the tables?

Russell.
Thread: old Simplex articles
09/02/2012 13:43:52
Joa,

Sorry, I haven't seen a suitable redesign. This is a bit of a grey area as different boiler inspectors have different ideas. A commercially made boiler is CE marked and complies with the pressure vessels directive and should be accepted anywhere in Europe whatever it's construction.

If you want to make a boiler youself and have it tested and used in the UK it is best to discuss it with the inspector you will be using before starting.

Russell.
08/02/2012 19:58:17
When considering the boiler you will have to consider any rules laid down in Germany for model boilers. The Simplex boiler as described will not be accepted by UK boiler inspectors and insurance companies as they don't like the T section crown stays. It is acceptable here in France but has to be fitted with a fusible plug which means you have to change the superheater design.

Russell.
Thread: Power Hacksaw run off
08/02/2012 19:48:54
Posted by Les Jones 1 on 08/02/2012 18:30:32:
I am impressed by its accuracy.

From the video it looks as if his foot was impressed by that large lump he cut!

Russell.
Thread: old Simplex articles
08/02/2012 10:06:58
Posted by Jo Thoms on 07/02/2012 20:00:44:If you search on http://freespace.virgin.net/simplex.steam/the simplex website: the guys should be able to help you with everything you need (including helping by identifying the numerous corrections to the published articale/drawings)

Unfortunately this site hasn't been updated for several years. There is useful information there but there does'nt seem to be anyone to contact.

Russell.
07/02/2012 15:27:15
David,

What is your line on people requesting or sending PDF copies of articles for personal use? Is there a copyright problem?

Russell.
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Dreweatts
JD Metals
Warco
walker midge
cowells
rapid Direct
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest